Darkdragon

MOC: LEGO Calendar Upgrade

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Not to be a on-trick pony or anything, but I had another idea for a calendar moc and felt that I HAD to build it. This time it's more of an upgrade to the official set. All the printed bricks (month and days) are from the official set, but that is all I used. I don't care for the yellow day bricks and so I used the printed tiles from the keychain set.

By gripping the blue handle, you can easily pull the day out to rearrange them for each month. At the bottom right of the calendar is a large drawer that holds the extra month bricks and day modules. There is a tiny drawer on the bottom left that can hold something small, was a left-over space and I thought a drawer would be better than just white bricks there.

C&C is welcome. It is a little more impressive in person, but I think I got the idea across in these photos.

6177252958_a9f7940c3c_b.jpg

6177253036_7d46fdf508_b.jpg

6177252854_1110e60059_b.jpg

6176725107_982b77a708_b.jpg

6176725065_e7e8331588_b.jpg

6176724821_8b0e02f537_z.jpg

6176724899_972d7c5d22.jpg6177252994_6dea1cebc4.jpg

6176724783_f11177078e_b.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

I like it! Quite a clever and practical design. :grin: The Fabuland figs add to the fun, as always. For those of us that have been under a rock for two years, when did the official set come out?

Stauder

Edited by Stauder

Fabuland figs building a calendar. :wub: What's there not to love? :sweet:

And a well-thought out design as well.

For those of us that have been under a rock for two years, when did the official set come out?

This year. Now crawl from under that rock!

I like it! Quite a clever and practical design. :grin: The Fabuland figs add to the fun, as always. For those of us that have been under a rock for two years, when did the official set come out?

Stauder

Thank you. Glad you like it.

The official set came out just this summer. Brick Calendar (on Brickset)

That's a really good idea, and definitely more practical than taking the calendar apart and putting it together.

Just out of curiosity what are the bottommost handles for?

That's a really good idea, and definitely more practical than taking the calendar apart and putting it together.

I think that they are the handles for the larger drawer that holds the extra date and month pieces.

Lovely calendar darkdragon, much better than the official version. When I first saw it I thought that it was a lego advent calendar.

Very nice, and a great upgrade to the original calendar, since you don't have to take it apart and rebuild it from scratch every month! Of course, one wonders if TLG might have intended for you to take it apart and rebuild it each month, since building and rebuilding is so integral to the LEGO experience.

Do you have something to do with months that don't have a 29th, 30th, or 31st day, so that the calendar doesn't have any empty spaces? Obviously it isn't hard; all it would take is a few extra "blank" days. Also, I see a large drawer on the bottom. Is that for storing the days and months you aren't using? What about the smaller drawer to the bottom left?

One wonders what people with these calendars will come up with next. I haven't done anything with mine really, being at college and having limited parts at my disposal (just my Ninjago sets, Hero Factory sets, Atlantis sets, and collectible minifigures). But the ways people have customized these gets the creative gears turning in my head. I anxiously await the day someone creates a Mindstorms calendar that changes itself, for instance! :grin:

Thank you for all the comments. I'm glad you like it. I know the official calendar was probably intended to be rebuilt but to me the build is boring. I have a 5x32 stud area at the top of my calendar so that I can create a scene every month if I want to. That is much more fun and creative than just stacking 2x2 bricks each month. :laugh:

Those are the drawers. The one on the right is 2 levels high and 5 days wide. The one on the left is 1 level high and 2 days wide.

Do you have something to do with months that don't have a 29th, 30th, or 31st day, so that the calendar doesn't have any empty spaces? Obviously it isn't hard; all it would take is a few extra "blank" days. Also, I see a large drawer on the bottom. Is that for storing the days and months you aren't using? What about the smaller drawer to the bottom left?

Yes I have blank ones. For example on the photos if you look at the first row, the first 6 days have blank placeholders and the 6th row has 2 blank ones. There are a total of 10 blank ones but 2 are extras for September and are in the large drawer.

I love this idea. I wouldn't do it myself as it's a rather brick hungry creation, but it's cool just the same. I bought this set, but I wanted it just for the parts... :blush:

The only think that I think might be added is some way to mark the days, as in a paper calendar. That would be neat too. :classic:

You could clip flags onto the date blocks using the existing handles. :grin:

This is a lovely idea, and really nicely realised; it's a great design. Of course, adding in Fabuland characters makes it adorable, too, and they look great in their poses! :wub: I recognise Perry Panda's tricycle and ladder! :cry_happy:

This really is just lovely, and practical too. :sweet:

Hello!

This is a great calendar, and truly superior to the official LEGO calendar set. The "daily modules" are a fantastic invention and their sliding in and out mechanism works perfectly. :classic: The way you displayed your calendar is also pretty lovely. :sweet:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Very nice calendar mon ami! where do the numbered bricks come from?

Lego's calender I think.

And I agree with the rest, it is very cleverly built indeed. :sweet:

But the ways people have customized these gets the creative gears turning in my head. I anxiously await the day someone creates a Mindstorms calendar that changes itself, for instance! :grin:

That's a fabulous idea. :thumbup:

In all honesty, I was actually thinking the exact same thing (before I read these posts, I swear!).

The only think that I think might be added is some way to mark the days, as in a paper calendar. That would be neat too. :classic:

My plan is to change the tile of the day module to a new color for signifying day differences. Maybe blue for the current day, red for a holiday, yellow for a birthday - something like that.

6176724899_972d7c5d22.jpg

That's an excellent calendar design! And very inspirational... I might borrow (read: shamelessly steal :devil:) some of your ideas to make myself an equally cool calendar for my desk at work :grin:.

One way to mark days would be to use some of these, attached to the blue bar piece. Cheap and widely available in many colours too.