Hollander

(MOC) LDD UCS Y-wing

gallery_101_23_281.gif

It took some hours to build, but I was pretty satisfied with the result.

2cr8unn.png

t0kt3k.png

213hhfk.png

And some pics without the trans purple bricks used as beams coming from the engines.

3166z2s.png

11jnpdh.png

Edited by Hollander

WOA! DUDE! YES! This only took you a few hours? This would take me weeks to build. Love the overall shape and, especially, the greebling. :wub_drool:

Wow, this is massive. The detail in the many body, tubes and beams and poles sprawled everywhere for great effect. The only thing that I am concerned with is that it s too big to be an effective fighter. Bombing would be fine, but I worry at this size it won't be very agile. By the way, why the green color?

WOA! DUDE! YES! This only took you a few hours? This would take me weeks to build. Love the overall shape and, especially, the greebling. :wub_drool:

Thanks 'M<0><0<DSWIM' !

I estimate it took me about 10-12 hours to build. I was actually just screwing somewhat around with the cockpit when I decided to add the rest of the ship. :tongue:

Wow, this is massive. The detail in the many body, tubes and beams and poles sprawled everywhere for great effect. The only thing that I am concerned with is that it s too big to be an effective fighter. Bombing would be fine, but I worry at this size it won't be very agile. By the way, why the green color?

Do you mean it will be too big to swoosh around with, or that this thing in ''real'' would be too big to be a fighter? If it's the second than you're right, the Y-wing is mainly used as a bomber.

I thought the sandgreen color would be a nice alternative for the yellow normally used, but I also wanted to post another picture of the back, so I'll change the green with the yellow. I think it will look better anyway.

:drool: Lovely work. If anything comes close to not looking good, I think it might be the flatness of the cockpit, but in all likelihood that's only because the rest of the ship looks so incredible. I simply adore the back half. You've used all the same techniques I probably would've used attempting this.

If it's the second than you're right, the Y-wing is mainly used as a bomber.

I thought the sandgreen color would be a nice alternative for the yellow normally used, but I also wanted to post another picture of the back, so I'll change the green with the yellow. I think it will look better anyway.

Mainly I thought the only role of a Y-Wing was a bomber :sceptic:, ah well you live and learn :laugh:.

I think it would look great in red, I saw the sand green on the CB thread, and I think the yellow is better, but red would be better.

Overall I think this is phenomenal work Hollander :thumbup:.

Mainly I thought the only role of a Y-Wing was a bomber :sceptic:, ah well you live and learn :laugh:.

I think it would look great in red, I saw the sand green on the CB thread, and I think the yellow is better, but red would be better.

Overall I think this is phenomenal work Hollander :thumbup:.

You're probably right, my knowledge of SW is very little in comparison to most of the EB members here.

Glad you like it. :classic:

Wow dude. This would have taken me weeks, if not months, to build! It looks very very good. :thumbup: The cockpit does look a bit flat but I'm not sure what you could do about that.

Drop Dead AWESOME 'Hollander' ! :excited:

The detailing is prefect for a Y-wing with all it's covers left off by rebel mechanic's ! :excited:

Brick On LDD On 'Hollander' ! :grin:

Wow! You've even SNOTed the underside!

Be very proud, Hollander - you've really pulled out all the stops here. :wub::excited: I understand this is the first time you’ve shared anything this large with us on Eurobricks, which makes the aptitude you demonstrate in this MOC all the more impressive. The sand green is really different from what I’ve seen on most Y-wings (LEGO or otherwise), and the effect is striking – though that’s not to say the yellow rendition doesn’t look just as good.

I think that the engines are my favorite part of this MOC – they look great. I can see some fantastic SNOTing and a real attention to detail, like how you’ve even included the cross-shaped struts inside the rings at the ends of the nacelles and the little ‘fins’ around the thrusters. There’s also the fact that you’ve used 45 slopes in representing the nose of the craft, which I think is spot on.

There is really a lot I'd like to say about this MOC... so expect a PM from me soon. :wink:

@Mr Man: Actually, Wookieepedia lists the Y-wing as an "Assault starfighter", and in any case, you never see it as a bomber outside of the Expanded Universe. Then again, Gold Squadron didn't do squat at the Battle of Yavin so we can't be too sure about anything. :tongue:

@Mr Man: Actually, Wookieepedia lists the Y-wing as an "Assault starfighter", and in any case, you never see it as a bomber outside of the Expanded Universe. Then again, Gold Squadron didn't do squat at the Battle of Yavin so we can't be too sure about anything. :tongue:

Well I don't take everything from Wookieepedia as seriously as others, for example the Y-Wing could have being a generic ship with no role until some obscure comic called it a fighter so Wookieepedians added it, not to say it isn't a "Assault starfighter" but that's why I don't go by WP usually :wink:. And I thought the whole point of Gold Squadron was to knockout any turbolasers or defences aimed at Red Squadron.

Sorry for the off topic post :grin:.

Edit: Oh erm Hollander have you tried this? I.e. a fully plated Y-Wing.

Edited by Mr Man

And I thought the whole point of Gold Squadron was to knockout any turbolasers or defences aimed at Red Squadron.

No, the battle plan was for the X-wings to draw fire away from the Y-wings, who would be trying to shoot proton torpedoes into the exhaust port.

No, the battle plan was for the X-wings to draw fire away from the Y-wings, who would be trying to shoot proton torpedoes into the exhaust port.

Ah the other way around then :blush:.

Man that very impressive, love a the amout of grebbling and snot. I the cockpit looks a little flat but the mian body and engins have so much detail. Great job! :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments people!

After I received a PM of a certain member (I'm a little busy, I'll reply on your PM tonight :wink:) who gave some constructive criticism, I decided that I will improve the current version with more details and some other changes.

No plans on building this in real. I think I have the right amount of bley and dark bley pieces, but I would have to order specific parts, like the two big white pieces on front of the engies, to eventually complete a build like this.

Edited by Hollander