Sign in to follow this  
Oky

Spongebob Squarepants 2012 Discussion Thread

Wow, most of those sets are unbelievably small. Why would I ever buy a set to build Spongebob's bed? I mean I thought Lego didn't know what it was doing with this theme, but Mega Bloks has an even less coherent plan for it. The Krusty Krab opening in the center is an interesting idea, but the front doors don't open and their exterior design for the Krusty Krab is pretty bad. I'll give them credit for good color choices.

Their figures for the characters are awkward as well. Most of them are really messed up. Squidward's legs are hysterically small in comparison to his torso. I don't understand why they just didn't scale these body parts correctly. The Mega Bloks figures have always confused me. Instead of having a standard design for them each character in any set is given custom pieces that aren't reusable anyplace else. The only thing they have in common with each other is those awkward arm joints. Honestly they're basically just crappy action figures at this point. Really Mega Bloks would be better off just making actual action figures and putting them in a set rather than these weird action figure/minifigure hybrids that never look good.

Tears will be streaming down my face as I stand in line waiting to pay for non-Lego Spongebob sets. Some of the characters look a bit weird, but I do like all the different Spongebobs. (Did I see Karen in there?!) I always felt that SB was more of a secondary line for Lego, and they never really gave it their full attention. MB has quite an extensive line planned, and I hope it does well enough that we see some of the characters that Lego never made.

Will need to inspect the larger sets in more detail, but I'd definitely be down for collecting some of the characters at the very least. Mr. Krabs seems a bit...off to me, though. As does Squidward — he seems bulky, but that probably has to do with the template they use.

I don't really have a right to be disappointed about there being no more LEGO-based SpongeBob sets, seeing as I wasn't into LEGO when they were introduced. If given the opportunity, I'd see about grabbing the older ones (3818 Undersea Party has caught my eye). But for now, I'm glad there's this to look forward to.

Did I see Karen in there?!

Yes, I believe you did. Wish she was featured as a blind bag, though, as I'm not too eager about the pack.