Sign in to follow this  
Oky

Spongebob Squarepants 2012 Discussion Thread

ARE YOU READY KIDS?

I CAN'T HEAR YOUUU! :pir-classic:

OK, since the other Spongebob 2012 threads seem to have disappeared, I'll start a new, semi-official one. So here are the confirmed sets:

3817 The Flying Dutchman $24.99 / 29,99 €

3817-1.jpg

3818 Bikini Bottom Undersea Party $49.99 / 59,99 €

3818-1.jpg

Discuss! :pir-sweet:

Edited by CorneliusMurdock

This theme continues to shuffle along past it's logical cancellation, clambering over the corpses of Indiana Jones, The Prince of Persia, Harry Potter, Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne and Buzz Lightyear.

The flying Dutchman might be ok I guess?

Well, I think Spongebob Squarepants's longevity as a theme makes plenty of sense. Spongebob is a lighthearted kids' cartoon that has had success selling merchandise since it first launched. LEGO is a lighthearted kids' toy targeting a similar demographic, and the success of licensed LEGO themes depend on how consistently the IP they are based on sells merchandise. And considering there's a new season of the show every year, it remains in the public consciousness, unlike some movie-based themes where merchandise sales begin to dwindle as soon as the latest movie leaves theaters.

It's intresting to see that this theme does continue even if only with two sets a year. And I guess that it means that Lego Spongebob sells well in at least some markets or that lego's license forces them to release a certain amount of sets.

Here in Sweden they've only been available through S@H since the 2008 wave and I've been told by sources inside lego that this is due to poor sales.

There's no doubt the sales are pretty poor for this theme. Thing is, Nickelodeon keeps shoving money down LEGO's throat to make 'em. They probably want a 'headline Spongebob toy line' or something of the sort. Funny thing is, more LEGO fans probably buy them than Spongebob fans. :laugh:

Here in Australia it's a Target exclusive (unless a Lego retailer imports them).....actually in Oz they sell pretty well and are very popular with both boys and girls. Though not as popular as Star Wars, of course what is ? :laugh:

Can we assume Bikini Bottom Birthday Party at that price we get another Sponge Bob house....oh, I would for Sandy's dome tree house....wishful thinking right ? :blush:

There's no doubt the sales are pretty poor for this theme. Thing is, Nickelodeon keeps shoving money down LEGO's throat to make 'em. They probably want a 'headline Spongebob toy line' or something of the sort. Funny thing is, more LEGO fans probably buy them than Spongebob fans. :laugh:

Is that all just guesswork? Because from my experience, something's radically wrong if a company-- even a successful company-- can just pour money down another company's throat like that. Companies don't pay other companies to create merchandise for them without expecting any return on that investment.

What reason do you have to believe that the sales for this theme are poor, or that Spongebob fans don't buy them? And moreover, does it matter whether LEGO fans or Spongebob fans are the ones buying them? They're obviously still profitable for both TLG and Nickelodeon or there would not be any new sets coming out. Really, the only reason we've had for believing that sales are poor for this theme is that new sets stopped coming out for a year or two. And all that really suggests is that sales were poor in 2009. It doesn't say anything about other years.

Well, I think Spongebob Squarepants's longevity as a theme makes plenty of sense. Spongebob is a lighthearted kids' cartoon that has had success selling merchandise since it first launched. LEGO is a lighthearted kids' toy targeting a similar demographic, and the success of licensed LEGO themes depend on how consistently the IP they are based on sells merchandise. And considering there's a new season of the show every year, it remains in the public consciousness, unlike some movie-based themes where merchandise sales begin to dwindle as soon as the latest movie leaves theaters.

Totally agree. I can imagine if I were a kid I would want all the sets. It doesn't hurt that they run it 4 episodes in 2 hour blocks on Nickelodeon every day. Kids have a way of looking past all the flaws we see in sets as adults.

Edited by sharky

I personally don't believe these Spongebob sets are selling poorly; personally I have liked all of them even though I'm not a spongebob fan. Also I usually only see a few on the shelves at my local stores.

These two new sets look promising, the birthday party in particular has piqued my interest. :wink:

I really want to see what these sets look like. This year the sets were slightly disappointing (Glove World was good though :tongue: )

I'm hoping for good looking sets with hopefully lots of new figures :laugh:

And I wonder if the Flying Dutchman himself will have the new Genie tail :wub:

I personally don't believe these Spongebob sets are selling poorly; personally I have liked all of them even though I'm not a spongebob fan. Also I usually only see a few on the shelves at my local stores.

These two new sets look promising, the birthday party in particular has piqued my interest. :wink:

I agree that they can't be selling that poorly. They are even introducing new sets, so it's proof they do sell well. Otherwise, Lego would have discounted and eliminated this line (look at Prince of Persia and you'll know what I mean). :wink:

I have bought one of these just to get a Spongebob minifig. I'm debating in getting Neighbours of Bikini Bottom just to get some others, and to get some nice pieces. It's still on my undecided list. :sceptic:

Locutis

I'll probably be getting The Flying Dutchman next year, don't own any Spongebob sets at the moment. :sad:

Neither do I, I never have really fancied getting any sets. They just don't really look good along my other minifigures.

The sets do look nice I do admit that.

Neither do I, I never have really fancied getting any sets. They just don't really look good along my other minifigures.

The sets do look nice I do admit that.

I watch the show from time to time. I gotta admit, it gives me the giggles sometimes. I've always thought about buying when I walk past them in the store. But, I just don't like the sets enough to want to buy them and not something else.

EDIT: 1000th post! :tongue:

Edited by Legocrazy81

Right now....one hit and one miss....guess which one's ? :laugh:

The hit is of course The Flying Dutchman, finally those in the pirate forum can make those two fools walk the plank ! :laugh:

The miss....birthday party....another orange pineapple house, well at least a new Squidward's house.....but no him ! :wacko:

Both are cute, but it's the pirate ghost who has an I.O.U. from Mr. Krabs for his soul ! :laugh:

Keep tossing those Krabby Patties ! :laugh:

The Flying Dutchman minifig looks nice and its good to get a bunch of green pieces and palm leaves, but the ship looks pathetic.

Well, the ship is designed for young children in the first place, plus actually it would be a handy set in the city arena....perfect parade float eh ? :laugh:

Flying Dutchman's boat is surprisingly cute, I'm nearly tempted to consider buying it. :tongue: Dutchman's beard printed on the torso looks quite dumb, though.

Lightningtiger's point about city parades is a good idea :laugh:

Huh, I didn't know this line was still continuing.

The Flying Dutchman isn't too bad. I also find it highly amusing that Davy Jones is wearing a green version of Davy Jones's hat from the Pirates of the Caribbean line. :laugh:

On the other hand, the Party set looks like a rushed remake. If they left out the buildings, it would be great, but the buildings are only going to increase the price more for a slight variation on what we've already seen before. :sceptic:

I really love the Flying Dutchman set; it's one of the best Pirate sets we've seen in awhile...too bad it's Spongebob. :tongue: Oh well, I still want it for my birthday...

TC

Spongebob 2012 pictures: SNIP

Thanks a ton for those links, Mirandir! :cry_happy: I could just :pir_kiss: you! No, not just for the Spongebob pics, but for all the treasures that we found on that site!

The Flying Dutchman's ship may be horribly underscaled, but it's irresistibly cute, and the figs it comes with are excellent! I would have never expected to see pirate versions of Spongebob and Patrick. I'll definitely try to squeeze this one into the budget next year.

The Undersea Party is a pass for me, even though DJ P4trick is freakin hilarious. :pir_laugh2: I like the use of treasure chests for the speakers. It gives them a nice undersea feel.

The miss....birthday party....another orange pineapple house, well at least a new Squidward's house.....but no him ! :wacko:

Agreed. How many damn pineapples do we need? Squidwards house does look highly improved. I'm curious what the interior looks like.

But what do you mean "no him"? He's right there, on the box art behind the cocktail bar, with a cup and with - wait - is that a present? Squidward is actually giving someone a present? *huh*

Dutchman's beard printed on the torso looks quite dumb, though.

True, but this is the only way he can wear his man-purse. Besides, there is no existing beard mold in the shape of his beard, and what would you do with a green beard anyway.

I really love the Flying Dutchman set; it's one of the best Pirate sets we've seen in awhile...too bad it's Spongebob. :tongue: Oh well, I still want it for my birthday...

Wouldn't the Birthday Party set make for a better birthday gift? :pir_laugh2:

First post has been updated with the pics.

The Pineapple set is definitely the better of the two. It seems we get Squidward's house, but not Squidward himself. I guess he was too busy moaning about the noise. And why is Mrs. Puff included? But I do like the party accessories.

As for the Flying Dutchman, it is quite underwhelming, but I guess what can you expect from the price. I think they should've made the Flying Dutchman figure bigger. The face just doesn't fit on the size of head.

BTW, here's a much faster website.

Edited by prateek

The Pineapple set is definitely the better of the two. It seems we get Squidward's house, but not Squidward himself. I guess he was too busy moaning about the noise. And why is Mrs. Puff included? But I do like the party accessories.

As for the Flying Dutchman, it is quite underwhelming, but I guess what can you expect from the price. I think they should've made the Flying Dutchman figure bigger. The face just doesn't fit on the size of head.

BTW, here's a much faster website.

Squidward is in that set, you can see him in the boxart. Dutchy maybe should've had a molded head like Squidward, so his beard wouldn't have to have been printed on his torso like that.