Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brickdoctor

Heroica RPG - Quest #4: Taming the Lions

1196 posts in this topic

~This topic is meant only for the players who have been chosen to participate in this Quest. If you wish to join the game, head over to the

Rules and Discussion topic to learn how to do so.~

6105089276_109e8b76b1.jpg

Eight chosen heroes follow me, the mysterious Isaac Shawe, through the dark nighttime streets of Eubric Freeport. With caution, I lead them stealthily to one of the city's many shadowy alleys. The eight whom I have chosen are:

heroica_character_avatar.png

Tomas (played by Captain Tamamono) (Dearly Beloved Party Leader)

Level 6 Cleric

Power: 11

Health: 14/14

Ether: 10/10

Gold: 20

Inventory: Shadeaux Staff (WP: 5), Gold Staff (WP: 4), Potion (2), Remedy (3), Bedroll, Tonic (2), Bone,

Grand Tonic, Fire Bomb, Shovel, Venom

6048306376_bab9d558d0_t.jpg

Cinna the Dark (played by darkdragon) (Party Second in Command*)

Level 1 Mage

Power: 5

Health: 5/5

Ether: 5/5

Gold: 0

Inventory: Shadeaux Staff (WP: 4), Quarterstaff (WP: 3), Amethyst Gem (Darkness), Potion, Shovel

6053565626_67f23d9d52_t.jpg

Thormanil Nihai (played by swills)

Level 1 Barbarian

Power: 5

Health: 8/8

Gold: 5

Inventory: Shadeaux Twin Axes (WP: 4), Dull Greataxe (WP:3), Potion, Bottle of Mead, Bedroll

benji_carvenhall_-_icon.jpg

Benji Carvenhall (played by Flare)

Level 1 Ranger

Power: 5

Health: 6/6

Gold: 5

Inventory: Shadeaux Bow (WP: 4), Bow (WP: 3), Potion, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll

Rogue.JPG

Dek'ra (played by Tanma)

Level 1 Rogue

Power: 6

Health: 7/7

Gold: 0

Inventory: Shadeaux Dagger (WP: 5), Fang Dagger(WP:4), Bedroll, Potion, Venom

heroicaavatar.jpg

Ad-Hoh (played by ADHO15

Level 1 Mage

Power: 5

Health: 5/5

Ether: 5/5

Gold: 10

Inventory: Shadeaux Staff (WP: 4), Rhabdomance Staff (WP:3), Potion, Emerald Gem (Wood)

heroica_2.jpg

Xander Unth'or (played by posades)

Level 1 Barbarian

Power: 5

Health: 8/8

Gold: 5

Inventory: Shadeaux Hammer (WP: 4), Enigmatic Hammer (WP: 3), Potion, Mead, Bedroll

av-19700.jpg

Leo Aragon (played by JediAnakin)

Level 1 Knight

Power: 5

Health: 6/6

Gold: 10

Inventory: Shadeaux Sword (WP: 4), Chaos Saber (WP:3), Leo Shield (SP:2), Potion

I stop in front of a wagon and a number of crates, chests, and barrels, all marked with the crest of the House of Shadeaux.

6101077341_d410050820_b.jpg

"You may dispense with the pleasantries. We're here to do business. Let's go over the details of the quest.

"You are here to investigate the raiding of numerous Shadeaux caravans traveling over land. You are to find the main camp of the raiders, infiltrate it, and return with any information concerning their business here and their future plans in the region. I have been authorized by my superiors in the House of Shadeaux to accompany you, and decide, depending on what you discover, whether or not you must complete other tasks before being payed.

"We know nothing other than that these raiders are newcomers to the Free Islands."

I present a dagger, with a lion etched into its blade.

6101179609_044185da9f_b.jpg

"This was found at the wreck of one of the caravans. Obviously, it is our best lead at the moment, but keep in mind that it could have been placed there later by the true raiders to frame this unknown group. We also have been told that some of the raiders wore red, but our source has disappeared and cannot be questioned further.

"We would conduct our own investigations, but our men are all occupied with other tasks at the moment. It will be your job to figure out who has been interfering with our shipping.

"We are, of course, prepared to properly equip you for your quest."

I pause, then indicate the containers behind me. They are filled with various arms and armor. Swords, spears, axes, staffs, bows, helmets, shields, and more. There's enough weaponry to outfit at least two dozen men.

"These are only some of the many items from our storehouses. It was mentioned in the advertisement for the quest that you would be rewarded with an upgraded weapon. I have been instructed to give you that weapon now. Of course, should you fail the quest, the weapons will be taken back.

"Everyone may choose one of these Shadeaux weapons."

QM Note:

These weapons are extra items, not upgrades to your existing weapons. List them separately in your inventory, with 'Shadeaux' before the name. (i.e., Shadeaux Sword, Shadeaux Spear, etc.) List them with a WP one higher than that of your current weapon.

"And I also have a map of the area you must search:"

6103574052_c425d82bc3_z.jpg

"You may travel anywhere you want, as long as you stay on the land and within the boundaries of the map. We are certain the raiders cannot be found outside that area.

"Is everyone ready?"

heroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.png

QM Note:

Everyone has 24 hours to confirm that they are ready to begin the quest. Any heroes who have not confirmed after 24 hours will be controlled in battles by the Party Leader until they decide to speak up.

*The Party Second in Command will take over the Party Leader's responsibilities if the Party Leader falls in battle, until the battle ends or the Party Leader is revived. If the party decides to split up, the Party Second in Command will be leader of whichever smaller party the Party Leader is not leading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"This certainly is strange. What could that lion insignia on the knife mean? It certainly doesn't belong to any of the noble houses... Let's wait for everyone to confirm and grab a weapon, and then we can decide where to go. I think I'll take a Shadeaux Staff - WP: 5, myself. Thank you very much for your generous gift, Mr. Shawe!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xander nods tacitly, heeding the words of Isaac carefully. The decision is not a hard one for Xander, who immediately takes ownership of the Shadeaux Hammer. There is an odd aura about it, but the combination of balance and workmanship is not lost on Xander. Stepping to the side, he squats in the dancing shadows of the torch with one arm propped on his new weapon; he silently hopes the wait for his other companions is a short one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for your generous gift, Mr. Shawe!"

You are welcome, Cleric Tomas. However, I notice you do not have your Shadeaux Staff placed as your primary weapon. Was this your intention?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are welcome, Cleric Tomas. However, I notice you do not have your Shadeaux Staff placed as your primary weapon. Was this your intention?

"Whoops! I figured that all the weapons had to be in the first few slots, but I completely forgot to switch my Gold Staff with my new Shadeaux Staff. It's fixed now." :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

De'kra grabbed a WP: 5 Shadeaux dagger, forged with the shape of a bat as its hilt. There was something in his memory about bats, but that was neither here nor there. The shade felt the clean blade in his hands, tossing it from appendage to limb. Satisfied, De'kra readied to hear what the team leader would decide as their first destination.

Edited by Tanma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Whoops! I figured that all the weapons had to be in the first few slots, but I completely forgot to switch my Gold Staff with my new Shadeaux Staff. It's fixed now." :blush:

Excellent. :classic:

Satisfied, De'kra readied to hear what the team leader would decide as their first destination.

QM Note:

You must wait for the rest of the party to check in or for the 24-hour period to end before you can do anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of breath, Thormanil finally catches up to Isaac. Listening attentively, a big grins spreads across his face as Isaac indicates the cache of weapons at the group's disposal. His axe has served him well, but he hadn't had the funds to have the smithy give it any attention, and it was a bit worse-for-wear. He nods along as Isaac outlines the situation, but in his mind he is all but playing dress-up with all the blades he sees. When Isaac steps aside, allowing the group access to the armory, Thormanil becomes a child in a candy shop. Picking through the crates and chests of weaponry, he grabs a few blades and swings them about. Just as he is about to settle on an elegant greataxe, he notices a pair of axes sitting in the back of the cart. Grabbing them, swinging them around, he can't help but feel like a tempest of blades. Should either axe be wielded on its own, he imagines it would not be nearly as powerful as even his old greataxe, but together, this new pair of axes should prove quite lethal if swung in quick succession, as in the time of a single attack with any other weapon. But really, who in their right mind would separate such a lovely pair, anyway?

Thormanil: "These, these shall be my new toys!" he proclaims, excitedly, slinging his old axe across his back. He can't help but give the new blades a few more swings, just to enjoy them, "I do hope we don't end up having to return these--they are way too much fun!"

With his Dull Greataxe(WP:3) slung across his back, Thormanil now grips the pair of Shadeaux Twin Axes(WP:4), with one in each hand.

OOC:

(1)Just to make sure it's clear, the twin-axes are meant to be considered as a single weapon in the context of the game, with WP:4. "Twin Axes" is a matter of nomenclature and aesthetics only, as the axes will be swung together, sold together, upgraded together, enchanted together, etc.

(2)I'm trying to piece together a reasonably priced BrickLink order to acquire a Thormanil minifig, and will hopefully get that sorted out in a week or two's time (including his new pair of axes, woo!). Until then, I'll keep the picture I have, so use my inventory as canon, rather than the image, heh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOC:

(1)Just to make sure it's clear, the twin-axes are meant to be considered as a single weapon in the context of the game, with WP:4. "Twin Axes" is a matter of nomenclature and aesthetics only, as the axes will be swung together, sold together, upgraded together, enchanted together, etc.

(2)I'm trying to piece together a reasonably priced BrickLink order to acquire a Thormanil minifig, and will hopefully get that sorted out in a week or two's time (including his new pair of axes, woo!). Until then, I'll keep the picture I have, so use my inventory as canon, rather than the image, heh.

QM Note:

Not a problem. :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cinna slips out from a shadow, not having intended on hiding but having been a bit dazzled by dagger with the lion carving. She looks at the crates and barrels of weapons, quickly scanning past the many blades and bows. Finally her eyes fall upon a beautiful ebony staff with a silver tip to hold her elemental gem securely.

She pulls the staff out of the barrel carefully, it feels lighter than the one her father made for her, yet somehow stronger. She nods her thanks to Isaac and takes a spot with her team to await further orders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Greetings friends. It's an honour to serve with the likes of you as we travel forth to bring these bandits to justice."

Being the spiritual and learned mage he is, Ad-Hoh approaches the slection of staves the Shadeux House have provided. He draws a long black pole encrusted with tiny red gems near the top and base, with small bat wings surrounding the hole in which gems are fitted. He places his emerald there and hides his own staff up his sleeve where it disappears.

"This finely-crafted stave shall serve me well in my coming quest."

Ad-Hoh begins to study the map and formulate a plan...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish to have the Shadeux Sword. Thank you for this weapon. I hope to serve you well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch as the party makes their selections from the weapons I've brought.

"I'm glad you all enjoy the equipment. It was my pleasure. Really, it's only a fraction of the huge amount of weaponry in our warehouses.

"Now that you're properly equipped, I suggest you head back to wherever it is you're staying and get some sleep. We'll head out tomorrow."

I watch as the party disappears into the night…

heroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.png

Early next morning, I lead the party out of Eubric. It's a beautiful day to begin a quest. A slight breeze can be felt, the birds are chirping, and there's not a cloud in the sky. We initially travel on the Eubric Highway, as it is the fastest way out of the city, but we soon arrive at a crossroads. Although roads to other cities lead primarily to gates in Eubric's walls, previous travelers have beaten out paths outside the city between the three main roads.

6163668670_eaa0fd7c3e_b.jpg

"And we come to our first choice. We really have no idea where the raiders are hiding, other than the general idea outlined in the map I gave you. Do you wish to search R'kilf, Bric'lin, or Brobric first?

"There are some things you should know, firstly. According to Eubric's librarian, none of you have ever travelled this far outside the city on a quest before, so I'd best enlighten you. In this Quest, you may travel anywhere you want to on the map. There is, however, a catch: Traveling between cities takes time. We measure that time in Nights. Every Night represents two chances. You get the chance to rest on the side of the road and regain 2 Heath, but only if you have a Bedroll. However, each Night is also a chance for you to be attacked by someone or something while you are sleeping. Needless to say, the more Nights you spend on the road, the greater the chance you will be attacked."

"The Eubric Highway between the Eubric Freeport and the Bric'Lin trading post is easy to travel on. It will only take one Night to get to Bric'Lin.

"The road to the village of R'Kilf is nothing out of the ordinary. It will take two Nights to get to R'Kilf.

"The winding path through the Eubric Forest to Brobric, however, is hard to navigate quickly. It will take three Nights to get to Brobric.

"Party Leader, where do you wish to go first?"*

heroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.png

QM Note:

The 24-hour check-in period is now over. Benji Carvenhall (Flare) will be given a Shadeaux Bow (WP: 4), and the Party Leader, Tomas (Captain Tamamono), will dictate his actions until Benji speaks. Should the need for the party to vote arise, Benji's vote will be the same as Tomas'.

The concept of Nights is indeed a game mechanic, (that I made up :blush: ) not merely part of the story. Just making sure you realize that.

*With decisions such as this, I'm willing to continue the game quickly if the Party Leader is certain which way he wants to go. Feel free to discuss, though. Just let me know (in-character, of course) so I don't keep going.

And for those who are interested, the chance you will be attacked is 33%, and the outcome of the Night will be decided with a Random Number Generator, as will any die rolls in this game. In this case, rolling a '1' or a '2' will result in gaining a small item, rolling a '3' or a '4' will result in everyone recovering 2 Health, and rolling a '5' or a '6' will result in being attacked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

De'kra clicks, "Right path dangerous, go in thick forest and rocky mountain. Path also take long time; it ideal for ambush. But main road good trust, who expect attack there? I doubt left path one has raiders. What others think?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Alright everybody, where do you think we should go first? Going to Bric'lin first might be a good idea, as it requires the shortest journey, but then we would end up saving the other, longer routes for when we've lost a bit of health and ether, so we might not be able to stand a chance against highwaymen and monsters. However, it will be easier for us to go to R'klif or Brobric later after we've gained a level or two. I think Bric'lin might be the best choice at this point, just so we can see what we're up against before diving into one of the longer routes. What does everyone else think?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

De'kra clicks, "Right path dangerous, go in thick forest and rocky mountain. Path also take long time; it ideal for ambush. But main road good trust, who expect attack there? I doubt left path one has raiders. What others think?"

De'kra shrugged and said, "Heroes and I might go highway first, might give heroes and I hint of danger. I put trust Brobic has raiders, I think it rocky terrain and thick forest make good cover for raiders. Highway go in plains, not many good places to hide. R'klif has trees, but not many in path. I think that Brobic Pass or Eubric Forest best places for raiders to hide, you think?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Bric'Lin seems like the safest journey and we could make a loop around to the other destinations without any backtracking. It would be nice to go to Bric'Lin with some gold, but that isn't always possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wait politely while the party talks, then speak up.

"Four of you, including the Party Leader and Party Second-in-Command, wish to go to Bric'Lin first. Is that your decision, or do you require more time to discuss?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wait politely while the party talks, then speak up.

"Four of you, including the Party Leader and Party Second-in-Command, wish to go to Bric'Lin first. Is that your decision, or do you require more time to discuss?"

"Yes, I think Bric'lin's a pretty good place to start, so let's head there first. Obviously, we can backtrack and go to one of the other places afterwards, and I assume it will take a night to travel back here from Bric'lin after we're finished there, correct?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The party and I decide to head for Bric'Lin first. We make good time, and are about two-thirds of the way there before we decide to call it a day.

6167646837_49b59794e9_b.jpg

The moon rises amongst the stars in the pure air over the Eubric Plains. As none of the party needs to regain health, I sleep like a baby while the party members take turns keeping watch.

The night was almost over when the hero keeping watch, Dek'ra, realized something was amiss. His Roguish ears had picked up the telltale sound of coins carefully being transferred, almost silently, from one moneybag to another.

"Who's there?"

The thief whirled to face the party, of which all members were now awake. With a grunt of disgust at having been found out, he drew his knife.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

6168182958_b9a3c05b2b_b.jpg

Enemies:

Thief

Type: Humanoid

Level: 5

Health: 25/25

Special:
Rusted Knife
- The target loses 1 Health each turn until the battle is over or the effect is remedied.

Drops: 10 Gold

Party:

heroica_character_avatar.png

Tomas (played by Captain Tamamono) (Dearly Beloved Party Leader)

Level 6 Cleric

Power:
11

Health:
14/14

Ether:
10/10

Gold:
20

Inventory:
Shadeaux Staff (WP: 5), Gold Staff (WP: 4), Potion (2), Remedy (3), Bedroll, Tonic (2), Bone, Grand Tonic, Fire Bomb, Shovel, Venom

6048306376_bab9d558d0_t.jpg

Cinna the Dark (played by darkdragon) (Party Second in Command)

Level 1 Mage

Power:
5

Health:
5/5

Ether:
5/5

Gold:
0

Inventory:
Shadeaux Staff (WP: 4), Quarterstaff (WP: 3), Amethyst Gem (Darkness), Potion, Shovel

6053565626_67f23d9d52_t.jpg

Thormanil Nihai (played by swills)

Level 1 Barbarian

Power:
5

Health:
8/8

Gold:
5

Inventory:
Shadeaux Twin Axes (WP: 4), Dull Greataxe (WP:3), Potion, Bottle of Mead, Bedroll

benji_carvenhall_-_icon.jpg

Benji Carvenhall (played by Flare)

Level 1 Ranger

Power:
5

Health:
6/6

Gold:
5

Inventory:
Shadeaux Bow (WP: 4), Bow (WP: 3), Potion, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll

Rogue.JPG

Dek'ra (played by Tanma)

Level 1 Rogue

Power:
6

Health:
7/7

Gold:
0

Inventory:
Shadeaux Dagger (WP: 5), Fang Dagger(WP:4), Bedroll, Potion, Venom

heroicaavatar.jpg

Ad-Hoh (played by ADHO15

Level 1 Mage

Power:
5

Health:
5/5

Ether:
5/5

Gold:
10

Inventory:
Shadeaux Staff (WP: 4), Rhabdomance Staff (WP:3), Potion, Emerald Gem (Wood)

heroica_2.jpg

Xander Unth'or (played by posades)

Level 1 Barbarian

Power:
5

Health:
8/8

Gold:
5

Inventory:
Shadeaux Hammer (WP: 4), Enigmatic Hammer (WP: 3), Potion, Mead, Bedroll

av-19700.jpg

Leo Aragon (played by JediAnakin)

Level 1 Knight

Power:
5

Health:
6/6

Gold:
10

Inventory:
Shadeaux Sword (WP: 4), Chaos Saber (WP:3), Leo Shield (SP:2), Potion

heroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.png

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

heroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.pngheroica-shadeauxicon.png

I assume it will take a night to travel back here from Bric'lin after we're finished there, correct?

QM Note:

That's correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I was rather afraid this would happen, but we're lucky it's just a single thief. We can take him down easily."

Order of action:

Leo

Xander

Thormanil

Cinna

Ad-Hoh

Benji

De'kra

Tomas

"Does this order of action look good to all of you? I figured the best order would be knight, barbarians, mages, ranger, rogue, and cleric, but we can change it for the next turn/battle if it doesn't work well. Anyways, I will attack Thief from the back row."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gripping my axes tightly, a smug grin spreads across my face. I step into the front row and prepare to mince the pickpocket.

Heh heh heh, this should be easy! Hope I get a chance to swing at him before the rest of you drop him!

Thormanil prepares to attack Thief from the front row.

Edited by swils

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cinna jumps up ready to battle when she hears Tomas. Her eyes fall upon the dirty unkemp thief with disgust. She knows she has no gold for him to steal but is ready to defend the purse and life of each of her comrades.

I will attack Thief from the back row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QM Note:

Tomas (Captain Tamamono), please also choose what Benji Carvenhall (Flare) will do, also.

I realize it seems inefficient to ask you all to select targets and the like with only one target, but I figure with seven players new to questing, it would be a good way to ease you in before we get to the more complicated battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QM Note:

Tomas (Captain Tamamono), please also choose what Benji Carvenhall (Flare) will do, also.

I realize it seems inefficient to ask you all to select targets and the like with only one target, but I figure with seven players new to questing, it would be a good way to ease you in before we get to the more complicated battles.

"Ah, okay. Benji will attack Thief from the back row."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.