Fives

Kingdoms 2012?

Perhaps the moderators need to set up a poll for what direction historic themes including pirate should go.

Well, it's just an idea.... :wink:

I am a large very tattooed guy !!!!!!And I WILL be dancing but at my LEGO store not at TRU!!!!!!!!!1

http://www.facebook.com/jessecoletravismims

sadly I live in Idaho and we do not get the glory that is Lego stores but if you contact me we will run through isles together but separate, scaring small children and house wives with our large tattooed selves.

http://www.facebook.com/atlas.tattoo

even if kingdoms is dead in the water i find it interesting that in the minifig line we are still getting loads of kingdom/fantasy figz. lets face it there has been a lot of figs with swords/bows/spears and armor since series 1. I will shed a tear or two for it but I will reap a ton of cool figs to play with in the mean time from the up coming series 6 and 7. If TLG were uninterested in continuing a line like kingdom (a hold fast member of the line up for TLG since like early 80's I might add) why continue supporting it through like theme minfigs?

sadly I live in Idaho and we do not get the glory that is Lego stores but if you contact me we will run through isles together but separate, scaring small children and house wives with our large tattooed selves.

http://www.facebook.com/atlas.tattoo

even if kingdoms is dead in the water i find it interesting that in the minifig line we are still getting loads of kingdom/fantasy figz. lets face it there has been a lot of figs with swords/bows/spears and armor since series 1. I will shed a tear or two for it but I will reap a ton of cool figs to play with in the mean time from the up coming series 6 and 7. If TLG were uninterested in continuing a line like kingdom (a hold fast member of the line up for TLG since like early 80's I might add) why continue supporting it through like theme minfigs?

Honestly the collectible minifigs don't prove Kingdoms is continuing any more than the many cowboy and indian figs have heralded the return of Wild West. I do trust Mirandir's word that there will be no more Kingdoms sets in 2012, although that may or may not mean Lord of the Rings sets. And regardless of whether or not Lord of the Rings fills that gap, I doubt Lego is abandoning the Castle theme indefinitely. Space themes took a hiatus in the early naughts, and returned with a vengeance in the form of recent themes like Mars Mission, Space Police III, and Alien Conquest.

I agree it doesn't mean anything that the minifig series has kingdom theme figz in them but I am saying its a way to still get some great figz if the theme ends.

Lego will always be Lego-- the day it needs licensed characters to survive will be the day they jump the shark. I'm sure the money's substantial, and I'm as amped about the SuperHeroes line as anyone else, but with all these movie character figs flying around, the non-licensed themes become more important than ever to keep the entire thing grounded and stable.

I'll miss Kingdoms more than I'll welcome LOTR, and I don't think I'm the only one.

I'll miss Kingdoms more than I'll welcome LOTR, and I don't think I'm the only one.

I agree completely.

Nobody said TLG wouldn't make a profit without licensed themes, but they can make a BIGGER profit with them.

Well, I understand that. I actually teach economics myself ... However, it's always being held up as an argument that western/pritates/kingdoms doesn't sell and therefore the world needs a licensed TS, POTC or even LOTR. And that's were I get pissed off because Playmobil (being LEGO's hardest contender, at least in Germany) sells these lines, and actually always continues lines and ideas that LEGO dropped. The thing is, I don't want any Playmobil castle because they suck. I want Kingdoms to continue at a decent price and I want to buy my kids (and myself) some cool knights/villagers etc.. Out of protest I didn't buy a single POTC set (bought all 2009 Pirate sets though) and I will not buy any LOTR sets (having acquired almost all kingdom sets so far).

Edited by kabel

All of my managers said POTC has been doing way more than expected. He also showed me a 2000+ piece Flying Dutchmen that is supposed to come out in 2012. I have always loved castle and pirate movies, like I said earlier, I am a Knight templar and a pirate captain reenactor. But I have seen more come of these licensed themes then out of regular ones. I don't see the problem with the liscened themes. It is always infinitley better for them to do a related fleshy line inbetween classic lines instead of nothing at all during the brainstorming process.

Lego will always be Lego-- the day it needs licensed characters to survive will be the day they jump the shark. I'm sure the money's substantial, and I'm as amped about the SuperHeroes line as anyone else, but with all these movie character figs flying around, the non-licensed themes become more important than ever to keep the entire thing grounded and stable.

I think we're pretty close to that day. 2012 will feature Star Wars, Cars, Superheroes, and possibly also POTC and LOTR (yes, both question marks, but I think at least LOTR is a good bet at this point). We hear from good sources that Alien Conquest and Kingdoms are finishing up, and of course Pirates won't be back for a while even if POTC does get dropped. That means Castle, Pirates and Space - all supposedly "Evergreen" lines - are MIA in 2012. That's discouraging to me. As a massive Tolkien fan, I'll be the first in line for LOTR sets, but I'd honestly prefer a different Castle subtheme.

It doesn't have to be Kingdoms. I get that Kingdoms won't be around forever. Really, there are so many other cool Castle options that they could make, I'm sure we could combine them with the existing sets for a wonderful medieval world. I'd love to see a departure from the standard medieval knights sets towards Vikings or barbarians or Asian empires. But I'm doubtful that the LOTR sets will play well with Dragons and Lions. Stylistically, the POTC sets have a very different vibe from Classic Pirates sets, and I'm sure the same will be true of LOTR.

It's funny, I haven't been into Lego for long enough to be a traditionalist, but I sure feel like one now.

I too am hoping the Kingdoms line continues, and while I'm a huge LOTR fan, I'm not that excited about a LEGO theme dedicated to it (well, maybe an Aragorn Minifig!).

I'm a bit confused as to what people are expecting with this theme. LOTR sets released with the first Hobbit movie?

I realise the Hobbit is a prequel to LOTR, but there are only a handful of Hobbit characters that feature in LOTR, or are people expecting the Hobbit movie to just be a springboard to release LOTR LEGO sets?

The other thing I'm worried about is the vast size of possible LOTR sets, and how they will be decided? Or will it end up being like Star Wars where we get re-hashing of iconic sets instead of releases of other minor movie scenes.

Hopefully I'm proved wrong and the theme (if it eventuates) is fantastic!

Edited by StuBoy

Well, 'Stuboy' it might become like Star Wars with OT and PT sets. :wink:

I would still say if true, only the same number of sets produced for either HP or POTC would be released. :wink:

I for one will be very sad to see Kingdoms replaced with a licensed theme. On one side I look forward to getting elves, but licensed means it will be fleshies, and I just have a serious dislike of mixing up yellow figs with fleshies.

At first I was disappointed to see Fantasy Era replaced with Kingdoms (mainly since I was expecting elves), but I've definitely grown to love the Kingdoms line, because it really feels like a return to the classic days of Lions vs Dragons. I firmly believe that another few years, with one or two added factions such as the Black Falcons or Forestmen thrown in, would allow for much more intriguing storylines of alliances and betrayals, and make this line one to remember for a long time to come.

In contrast, if it stops with the Joust, Kingdoms won't be much more than another KK1 with its mere 2 factions and short-lived run. (Note that this is purely from a storywise perspective; I definitely prefer Kingdoms over KK1, mainly for its high-quality minifigs).

Of course, who's to say we won't get a Kingdoms II after LotR?

Edited by lego tripper

I also like this series because it reminds me so stronly of the sets of my childhood (late 80s early 90s), I find it very hard to image that TLC are going to release this set and then nothing else because it won't sell as well without some new supporting sets.

That being said, they did the same thing with the Imperial Falgship, but that was to make room for POTC so if the Joust has to be our last set, it will dissapoint me again, but I could probably grow to love the new thing (as I did with POTC).

Fingers crossed LEGO dosen't do that to me again,as I was really getting into pirates from 2009 and I have really enjoyed Kingdoms

I think it is very unrealistic that Hobbit/LotR replace Harry Potter, PotC aaaand additional Kingdoms. That are whole three themes for just one. :laugh:

And IF indeed LotR/Hobbit replace Kingdoms -than it is the first time in LEGOs history that we get really the chance for an antiquity theme with romans, greeks and other folks. Yeah! And that would be too epic! I see the antiquity minifigures in the "Minifigure Series" and those are brilliant! :thumbup:

I think it is very unrealistic that Hobbit/LotR replace Harry Potter, PotC aaaand additional Kingdoms. That are whole three themes for just one. :laugh:

And IF indeed LotR/Hobbit replace Kingdoms -than it is the first time in LEGOs history that we get really the chance for an antiquity theme with romans, greeks and other folks. Yeah! And that would be too epic! I see the antiquity minifigures in the "Minifigure Series" and those are brilliant! :thumbup:

I wouldn't say that one theme is replacing all those three themes. One of the license slots are taken by the new Superheroes theme and looking at the number of themes it doesn't really change that much. Sure there's a drop in historic themes but that's merely a return to normal looking at the last few years.

It looks like a few sets in this line have now been discontinued, including the flagship set. 7946 King's Castle, 7948 Outpost Attack and 7950 Knight's showdown are all marked as sold out by Lego. As we have all seen lately, that does not mean they are gone forever, as sets seem to pop in and out of sold out status regularly, but there's a good chance the sets are gone, especially since this is not only one, but three sets.

I'm still hoping for more sets in this theme of course, but I'd say it is pretty ominous when the only castle in a castle line is sold out.

No help to those in the US but I was in Hamleys Glasgow yesterday and swimming with the three sets you mentioned. Not to say they are not discontinued. Was worth going in though for the marked down atlantis stuff that will act as great stocking fillers. As well as knights showdown and a Prison set(Cant remember no) Brilliant Knight in it though.

My only wish for a 2012 Kingdoms set is a tavern complete with shady (wolf-pack like) thugs! :grin:

Abso-friggin'-lutely! :thumbup::thumbup:

BTW...a little birdy told me that if you want Mill Village Raid and the King's Carriage Ambush, you'd best pick them up...both are slated to vanish.

Unconfirmed rumour but, I just thought I'd pass it on, anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Ogre

I really hope this isn't the end of the kingdoms series but the writing does look like its on the wall. Its a shame because I think its been the best sub-theme since the mid nineties with its mixture of semi-realistic castle structures and civilian sets. I think there was plenty of scope for more sets with maybe more siege weaponry and a full-sized fortress for the Dragon Knights. None the less, if Kingdoms is to go then at least with the Joust set its going out on a high.

I've got mixed feelings about the possibility of LOTR. I'm a fan of the films and would really like to see Lego versions but it would be a shame if it was at the expense of classic castle sets. Lego seems to be doing more and more licensed sets which is great in someways as it enriches the variety of sets they can offer but is also sad for us AFOL's who grew up with the old Castle, Pirate and Space themes. I just hope these classic themes are not forgotten in the onrush of new licensed sets.

I really hope this isn't the end of the kingdoms series but the writing does look like its on the wall. Its a shame because I think its been the best sub-theme since the mid nineties with its mixture of semi-realistic castle structures and civilian sets. I think there was plenty of scope for more sets with maybe more siege weaponry and a full-sized fortress for the Dragon Knights. None the less, if Kingdoms is to go then at least with the Joust set its going out on a high.

I've got mixed feelings about the possibility of LOTR. I'm a fan of the films and would really like to see Lego versions but it would be a shame if it was at the expense of classic castle sets. Lego seems to be doing more and more licensed sets which is great in someways as it enriches the variety of sets they can offer but is also sad for us AFOL's who grew up with the old Castle, Pirate and Space themes. I just hope these classic themes are not forgotten in the onrush of new licensed sets.

Im an AFOL but there is nothing mor I want than LOTR. Even tho the tavern idea is amazing...

I was able to find one of the last Kings Castle sets in my area at Target so I picked it up. I would like to pick up the rest of the sets but, that is going to be real hard with the new Assassins Creed Revelations coming out.

Im an AFOL but there is nothing mor I want than LOTR. Even tho the tavern idea is amazing...

I totally agree with you, I really do love classic castle but, I really want a true licensed LOTR theme more than anything else. Hopefully they will come out and Lego will do a better job than POTC. :classic:

I was able to find one of the last Kings Castle sets in my area at Target so I picked it up. I would like to pick up the rest of the sets but, that is going to be real hard with the new Assassins Creed Revelations coming out.

I totally agree with you, I really do love classic castle but, I really want a true licensed LOTR theme more than anything else. Hopefully they will come out and Lego will do a better job than POTC. :classic:

Oh it IS HAPPENING!

If we only get the joust set in 2012 and its replaced by some other licensed theme :sick:

Is there still a chance of getting a castle advent calendar for Christmas 2012? We are due for a new one next year. Since they have already made some new characters for next year.. It would be pretty easy for Lego to put the new maiden, prince, Black Falcon Knight and a couple of soldiers into an advent calendar. It would be a great way to get multiples of the popular characters. And if its released 6 months after the joust it could keep the line going until 2013.

it could work.

If we only get the joust set in 2012 and its replaced by some other licensed theme :sick:

Is there still a chance of getting a castle advent calendar for Christmas 2012? We are due for a new one next year. Since they have already made some new characters for next year.. It would be pretty easy for Lego to put the new maiden, prince, Black Falcon Knight and a couple of soldiers into an advent calendar. It would be a great way to get multiples of the popular characters. And if its released 6 months after the joust it could keep the line going until 2013.

it could work.

Since it looks like LOTR is coming maybe it would be a LOTR advent?!

I would like to see the Kingdoms theme continue and especially would like to see more mundane buildings like the mill, although I would welcome a LOTR themes too, and a Heroica theme sounds interesting.