Fives

Kingdoms 2012?

You don't need movies for something to be 'in' thats nonsense. So what huge pirate movie francise was 'in' when the original Lego pirate line was out? Classic pirates was very popular an still will be weather there's pirate movies out or not. Pirates will always be a fascinating subject for kids and grown-ups alike no mater what. It doesn't rely on a movie francise that is already well past it's sell-buy date. It's the same with LOTR, yes it's a good story, not the greatest as it was mostly inspired by the Arthurian story which basically set up everything

Medieval fantasy is based on. It would probably be a good theme, but short lived and pricey. Castle is a timeless theme and always will be, again, it's not a theme that needs an 'in' movie to make it popular. The idea of Lego castle sets was to make your own story up, and even though I would welcome whatever parts a LOTR theme would bring, I'd much prefer more a new range of Lego castle building on what we have. I think Lego castle has been really good these last years, we've pretty much had a lot of what we were crying out for, new human factions, new weapons, new animals, civilian sets etc. It has been good, and I hope to see more of this rather then over priced Liesenced sets. Still, like I said, if castle is put on hold and we get LOTR, I will still get some sets if the parts are good.

Actually, movies provide a pretty good glimpse at what's popular at the time. In the mid-nineties (when the Pirates theme ended) the popularity of pirate movies declined significantly, after a few big-budget pirate movies opened as flops. There were virtually no serious pirate movies between then and Pirates of the Caribbean, which pretty much single-handedly revived the genre. Westerns have been unpopular, at least as far as family films go, for more than a decade. Notice which Lego theme hasn't been revived? The Western theme! Lord of the Rings may not be quite as influential in this respect: high fantasy never underwent quite the same decline in popularity as pirate movies or westerns did; but it certainly didn't hurt the genre and indeed, Lego's fantasy castle line drew heavily from conventions established in Tolkien's work.

I have to say that I was a little disappointed with Kingdoms. There was no big castle for the dragon knights which was my favorite theme. There was no dragon for the dragon knights. The King does not look nearly as cool as the king for Fantasy era. Also, I have to say that I was really disappointed with the bright fire-engine red that they used for the lion knights as I was hoping that they would use something more gritty like dark red. Yes, I did buy theme and I don't think they are as bad as KK but, I do think that Lego Kingdoms was lacking. I really do hope that Lego does The Hobbit/LOTR right and that we get some really cool new pieces like horse helms, special swords, new giant wolves that minifigs can ride on, a new crown piece, and some new wizard staff pieces. Also, some new orc swords wouldn't hurt either. And just think about a proper race of elves, with all of there armor and hairpieces. That would be just too cool.

honestly i enjoy speculation as much as the next guy and get giddy for tons of orcs and goblins running around to smash but LOTR is just that speculation. ooooo but if its real i will dance in the isles of TRU!

There was no big castle for the dragon knights which was my favorite theme. There was no dragon for the dragon knights.

Well, there was the Dragon's Prison (prison tower rescue)....not all castles have to look the same....learnt that while watching Time Team. :wink:

A dragon would have then stuck this in the fantasy bracket not realistic as Lego decided to do....minus that giant hammer...yeah, well... :laugh:

Sadly, since there was a big last throw for pirates, then the joust set might just be the last throw for Kingdom's. :cry3:

honestly i enjoy speculation as much as the next guy and get giddy for tons of orcs and goblins running around to smash but LOTR is just that speculation. ooooo but if its real i will dance in the isles of TRU!

Its. Not. Spculation. Period. You have my word.

Its. Not. Spculation. Period. You have my word.

then prepare for mother and fathers covering children's eyes in horror as a large very tattooed guys dances in the isles of his local TRU squeeing like a little girl! since you gave your word and all.

I don't mind licensed themes, but it's annoying when they replace other themes. Im glad there isn't a second wave of POTC sets as I do prefer classic pirates. But I'm oldskool, and im not in it for the sets, i usually live off bricklink everyday, but thats what i do. Unfortunatly their isn't a set that comes with 1000 dark green and dark brown 1x2 tiles, so I have to order. But then bricklink Sellers often charge a lot for a certain part, so it is sometimes cheaper to buy multiple of a set that has those parts. It's interesting watching this discussion over LOTR, as not one person has a solid bit of evidence at all. I spoke to a Lego designer at a recent show and he said he is not allowed to say yes or no, thats procedure of course. Maybe they will let me in on a secret, but then of course I wouldn't be able to tell :wink: Anyway, as for the whole movie tie-in deal, did the POTC line sell hugely well because of the Mouse house and Depp's movie? It probably did ok, but I don't think it was a huge success. POTC is no Star Wars. I think LOTR is more of an adult's wishlist theme rather than kids, that's why Lego chos Harry Potter instead of LOTR when they originally came out. Lego is mainly aimed at kids, and as great as LOTR is, if you asked a group of kids aged between 4 and 10 what they would prefer, they would choose Harry Potter over LOTR. Lego knows this. But hey, I'm sure I'm wrong, if Lego have changed their policy then I look forward to a SAW theme or maybe a Terminator theme, I'd love that.

Terminator would be fun sets specially for army building. NO prof is why I say speculation at its best over LOTR. No facts or figures and they did have a chance a choose "The Potter" over LOTR years ago. just to prove your point Derfel Cardarn I asked my 6 year old son and he said he didn't know what Lord of The Rings was, till I explained it had the dwarf in it and he still said "Harry!" in excitement. Pirates was a Mouse House film and had backing of name recognition with Johnny "my girl friend is in love with you" Depp

I completely agree with the fact that no proof means it's still speculation. One would have to ask a TLG rep the question and see if the answer is a classic "can't confirm, can't deny", which would confirm it :tongue:

What I won't like is that, no matter how much TLG knows we've waited for lego elves, we will be getting fleshy lego elves.

I completely agree with the fact that no proof means it's still speculation. One would have to ask a TLG rep the question and see if the answer is a classic "can't confirm, can't deny", which would confirm it :tongue:

What I won't like is that, no matter how much TLG knows we've waited for lego elves, we will be getting fleshy lego elves.

If you look at the post earlier you would see that the guy asked a Lego designer where Lego LOTR is coming or not and the designer said he could not confirm or deny.

I think that the LOTR would be a very popular theme with the kids. I mean look at the recent Fantasy Era theme and kids just love dragons, dwarfs, elves, and orcs. I just cannot see how anybody could think that Lego LOTR would not be popular with the kids unless they wanted to think that or they wanted Lego to think that. Also, if you remember back in 2007 when a lot of the Lego reps were talking about the development of the then new fantasy era castle theme they said that Kids preferred fantasy elements to more traditional human only castle themes which is why they included the undead skeleton faction and the troll faction.

then prepare for mother and fathers covering children's eyes in horror as a large very tattooed guys dances in the isles of his local TRU squeeing like a little girl! since you gave your word and all.

I am a large very tattooed guy !!!!!!And I WILL be dancing but at my LEGO store not at TRU!!!!!!!!!1

http://www.facebook.com/jessecoletravismims

If you look at the post earlier you would see that the guy asked a Lego designer where Lego LOTR is coming or not and the designer said he could not confirm or deny.

I think that the LOTR would be a very popular theme with the kids. I mean look at the recent Fantasy Era theme and kids just love dragons, dwarfs, elves, and orcs. I just cannot see how anybody could think that Lego LOTR would not be popular with the kids unless they wanted to think that or they wanted Lego to think that. Also, if you remember back in 2007 when a lot of the Lego reps were talking about the development of the then new fantasy era castle theme they said that Kids preferred fantasy elements to more traditional human only castle themes which is why they included the undead skeleton faction and the troll faction.

also: oh crap how did I miss this

theonering.net: Warner Brothers Interactive says a LEGO ‘Hobbit’ videogame is in the works :sweet::thumbup:

As said in that one thread, would be pretty weird if they make a Lego video game that has no tie-in with an actual lego line. So... confirmed?

Is it at all possible that he just doesn't know? I work in a TV production facility and I don't know half of what's going on.

Then why did it end before they used all the options? No elves, in particular, despite the "maps" showing an elf kingdom. I personally started collecting when they were doing the fantasy theme, and I've come to realize that I only liked it because it was fantasy. I like the Kingdoms line less and less, and couldn't care any less about the Joust set coming out (except for the woman in green).

I guess one thing that really bothers me a lot is the shortness of the themes... I don't know how long fantasy was around, but Kingdoms doesn't seem to have been around that long. How long do they go? Three years? I'd hope they'd do at least five or six.... on the other hand, if I didn't like that incarnation, I wouldn't be buying anything for five or six years... still, I don't see how they'd cut fantasy if it were doing so well and they still had a lot of options to explore.

As said in that one thread, would be pretty weird if they make a Lego video game that has no tie-in with an actual lego line. So... confirmed?

No. They got the information from the same article that specifically did NOT call the game LEGO Hobbit. People got confused because the LA Times article mentioned it in a paragraph with a bunch of other games that were identified as LEGO this or that, but specifically there was NO "LEGO" in front of "Hobbit."

I don't know either way, but I read the article, all excited to hear about a LEGO Hobbit video game, and all we got was that there was a Hobbit video game being made... the LEGO video games all specifically said "LEGO." The Hobbit didn't. So it was either a mistake in copy, or it's more like confirmation it WON'T be LEGO.

What I really wonder is how Playmobil does without licensed themes and still makes a profit. I mean they have all those topics that some people here argue wouldn't sell in the first place: Classic Pirates, Classic Castle and Wild West!

And to be honest, I think LEGO could have done some of the things depicted in the POTC sets without a license and we still would have recieved new cool pieces albeit without fleshy minifigs at outrages prices.

So if they make LOTR, I suppose we'll see the same thing again happening!

What I really wonder is how Playmobil does without licensed themes and still makes a profit. I mean they have all those topics that some people here argue wouldn't sell in the first place: Classic Pirates, Classic Castle and Wild West!

And to be honest, I think LEGO could have done some of the things depicted in the POTC sets without a license and we still would have recieved new cool pieces albeit without fleshy minifigs at outrages prices.

So if they make LOTR, I suppose we'll see the same thing again happening!

Nobody said TLG wouldn't make a profit without licensed themes, but they can make a BIGGER profit with them. Don't be misled into thinking TLG is some magnanimous company that wants to spread the love around... they are a great company, but they are a for-profit company, and the last few years they've jacked up the profit margins to unprecedented levels (in LEGO terms) because they can. By my estimates the profit margins on LEGO products (while varying wildly from set to set) are at least two and a half times higher than the profit margin on most products, if not more.

As a simple example, the collectible minifigures were $1.99 in the U.S. when they came out... by the third wave, less than a year later, they were $2.99. Now, aside from the fact that we're not supposed to complain (according to some people on EB, because they/you still have to pay more in their countries) the point is they were making a profit at $1.99 and increased the price by FIFTY percent. If they were aleady making a $0.50 profit (a 25% margin, although that's when buying direct and not from a third party retailer), their profit margin now is 100%.

For the second point, I agree... I would love to see a LOTR theme for a lot of reasons, but I'd be quite happy if they just did fantasy 2.

Edited by fred67

My little conspiracy theory: :grin:

I believe the fantasy “Castle” line was 2009 broke up for the (at this time) possible Hobbit/LOTR license starting 2012. Between the two fantasy lines needed TLG a kind of buffer (here a “non-fantasy” line). I think that is the reason why TLG has never produced a complete elves-folk (although everybody want it) and has instead elves -started “Kingdoms” without fantasy stuff.

LEGO has with regard to the upcoming Tolkien license never produced an elves-line and has needed as time-buffer “Kingdoms” for a non-fantasy line.

Now I get your public anger.^^

Don't get me wrong, I think LOTR would be popular with kids, I'm just saying that if you put both side by side, more kids would pick Harry Potter over LOTR. That's why I think they may go back to a fantasy theme again. They could basically do LOTR in all but name anyway. We have already seen dwarves and Orcs, plus that elve mini-fig, so they could quite easily bring out another fantasy theme based around these. When you think about, Lego have already done something along the lungs of LOTR with the last fantasy theme. We just need an elf faction and you can pretty much make a good LOTR moc with what we have got. Still, no matter what anyone says, it IS speculation! Until Lego makes annoucment and confirms it, all we can do is speculate.

I don't mind licensed themes, but it's annoying when they replace other themes. Im glad there isn't a second wave of POTC sets as I do prefer classic pirates. But I'm oldskool, and im not in it for the sets, i usually live off bricklink everyday, but thats what i do. Unfortunatly their isn't a set that comes with 1000 dark green and dark brown 1x2 tiles, so I have to order. But then bricklink Sellers often charge a lot for a certain part, so it is sometimes cheaper to buy multiple of a set that has those parts. It's interesting watching this discussion over LOTR, as not one person has a solid bit of evidence at all. I spoke to a Lego designer at a recent show and he said he is not allowed to say yes or no, thats procedure of course. Maybe they will let me in on a secret, but then of course I wouldn't be able to tell :wink: Anyway, as for the whole movie tie-in deal, did the POTC line sell hugely well because of the Mouse house and Depp's movie? It probably did ok, but I don't think it was a huge success. POTC is no Star Wars. I think LOTR is more of an adult's wishlist theme rather than kids, that's why Lego chos Harry Potter instead of LOTR when they originally came out. Lego is mainly aimed at kids, and as great as LOTR is, if you asked a group of kids aged between 4 and 10 what they would prefer, they would choose Harry Potter over LOTR. Lego knows this. But hey, I'm sure I'm wrong, if Lego have changed their policy then I look forward to a SAW theme or maybe a Terminator theme, I'd love that.

Okay, for one, you sir, are a Debbie. A Debbie Downer. YOU just said You would Not tell if Lego told YOU it was real. LEGO told me NOT to tell about POTC. I, also Was told about LOTR. Yet since I am NOT Derfel, not everyone is falling over and worshiping me for saying it. Don;t get me wrong, your great, but I know what Im told and I know the confidentiality of these things and Ive broken them before, for the fans, so... I don't care and IM telling Yall that Someone I know, well multiple people have confirmed this, since they know what my nerdgasmy Heart wants.

:wub:

Hang on a minute, what do you mean by 'cause I'm not derfel' im just like all the rest of you here, I build mocs, that doesn't make me special and I don't make out I'm special. I'm just saying if Lego was to tell me info on a theme and tell me not to say anything I would respect that. You can get in trouble for dishing out confidential secrets. I just think this info is best left for Lego to publicly confirm themselves.

I agree with some of the people above me. Leaving the question if a LOTR theme is coming or not in the middle (there is no proof.),

I would much rather see another Fantasy Era like theme, than a LOTR (licensed) theme. I hate fleshies, and licensed Lego is of course more expensive.

Hmm, this thread really isn't about Kingdoms 2012 any more... and I'm not interested in LOTR, so I'm just following the thread on the look-out for Kingdoms related info. That would be easier if the LOTR discussion was put in a different thread...

Hmm, this thread really isn't about Kingdoms 2012 any more... and I'm not interested in LOTR, so I'm just following the thread on the look-out for Kingdoms related info. That would be easier if the LOTR discussion was put in a different thread...

It is......LOTR 2012 ? - Licensed forum

I agree 'David' we should only be talking about Kingdom's and not LOTR here....unless like pirates POTC was stuck in there....but you know these pirates eh ? :laugh:

okay, re-reading all my posts, I notice I joined, had been lurking a while, but joined just to tell you all that pirates were confirmed. The only reason I posted in this thread, was to say that after my discussion with the Managers in the southern US, It doesn't look like there will be more kingdoms sets, from my understanding, and my un-ending questions. I like the kingdoms, but not as much as fantasy castle. Templars , to me are the only thing I would want besides LOTR. That will never happen though... I welcome fleshy. I don't think anything could possibly be cooler than having an army of trolls, goblins, and uruk-hai. Most importantly, wishing for huge black spears and pikes, real Norse helms, fighting knives, and chainmail printed armor without blankedy blank chains on them. I do in fact hope there is a few filler sets in between from kingdoms, but this means I can quit buying overly expensive soldiers and save for a nicer, hopefully better armed, nicer printed line of soldiers.

okay, re-reading all my posts, I notice I joined, had been lurking a while, but joined just to tell you all that pirates were confirmed. The only reason I posted in this thread, was to say that after my discussion with the Managers in the southern US, It doesn't look like there will be more kingdoms sets, from my understanding, and my un-ending questions. I like the kingdoms, but not as much as fantasy castle. Templars , to me are the only thing I would want besides LOTR. That will never happen though... I welcome fleshy. I don't think anything could possibly be cooler than having an army of trolls, goblins, and uruk-hai. Most importantly, wishing for huge black spears and pikes, real Norse helms, fighting knives, and chainmail printed armor without blankedy blank chains on them. I do in fact hope there is a few filler sets in between from kingdoms, but this means I can quit buying overly expensive soldiers and save for a nicer, hopefully better armed, nicer printed line of soldiers.

Yes I agree, I'd love to see more detailed and varied sets of armor and weaponry, but the kingdoms line has thrown up some good stuff and so has the mini-fig series, as I noticed we will be getting a roman fig, so things are looking good. I think either way, the next wave castle sets will be interesting no matter what direction Lego takes. We just have to wait and see.