Fives

Kingdoms 2012?

I didn't see a problem with the quality of my Chess set. I did just now compare chess and non-chess soldier/knight figs side by side. Sure there's a difference, but honestly I'm not very bothered about it. The main difference appears to be that the non-chess ones are shinier, mostly in the golden parts. And the pearl dark grey helmets and such have more of a shine as well. So overall the chess set is more subdued, but I only really noticed the difference once I specifically started looking for it. So for the price, I can't really complain. For example I'd like to buy the Prison Tower Rescue set, but that costs as much as one and a half chess sets while having only 5 figures and only 365 pieces in general. So the PTR feels like a ripoff, considering I'd mostly want it for the mounted Lion knight.

Same here i actually had a coupon for 10% off and then i grabbed the box and there was hole in it the size of a dropped box corner on it. They said its no good they cant sell an "open box" however after i bought it the store manager asked me on the side if i didn't care about the box he'd give me another 10% off... Took that special and got the whole thing for 40!

I didn't see a problem with the quality of my Chess set. I did just now compare chess and non-chess soldier/knight figs side by side. Sure there's a difference, but honestly I'm not very bothered about it. The main difference appears to be that the non-chess ones are shinier, mostly in the golden parts. And the pearl dark grey helmets and such have more of a shine as well. So overall the chess set is more subdued, but I only really noticed the difference once I specifically started looking for it. So for the price, I can't really complain. For example I'd like to buy the Prison Tower Rescue set, but that costs as much as one and a half chess sets while having only 5 figures and only 365 pieces in general. So the PTR feels like a ripoff, considering I'd mostly want it for the mounted Lion knight.

I don't think the quality of plastic matters, they have to cut corners to bring you so many minifigures for a reasonable price.

Seeing the responses regarding the quality of the chess set, that is an indication where quality will goes in the future: down for sure.

I would be very happy to see another Falcon Knights set, because it was my first lego castle 30 years ago and I still have warm memories about it, but at this stage its really impossible to tell. It will not be D2C set, beacuse those are well guarded we usualy get to know about them just days before official presentation. My bet is on Dragon Castle, but this is just my speculation.

You think it's not going to be D2C because those are well guarded and essentially not heard of until release... Ok, so where in this thread has there been any mention on what the set is and that it's D2C? I haven't seen anything, just that there may be another Kingdoms set coming.

No, I don't think Kingdoms will be discontinued since it seems like such a popular theme. :sweet:

I had a look around and on lego wikia it says the theme will probably continue on. So it's not definite but there's a chance.

Here's a link: Click Here

I was thinking of getting the chess set, because it had such a good minifig to price to the fact that there were no other pieces in there. But they aren't as good quality? Should I still get them. They'd probably become my largest castle armies.

I was thinking of getting the chess set, because it had such a good minifig to price to the fact that there were no other pieces in there. But they aren't as good quality? Should I still get them. They'd probably become my largest castle armies.

I'd say get it. You won't get better ones at anything near as low a price. The "cheap" ones you'll find at BL for example are most likely all from parted Chess sets. Here are a few comparison pics that I took between Chess figs and non-Chess figs.

1. Slit-helmet knight. One on the left is from Chess, one on the right is from Knights Showdown. The difference might not actually as big as the image might suggest, had to use natural light for the pic and didn't get the light to reflect off the armor evenly. Honestly the two are pretty much the same unless examined very closely side by side. But the chess one is a touch lighter shade of gray for the scales.

chess-comparison1.jpg

2. Broad brim soldier. On the left Chess, on the right Outpost Attack. This might the most noticeable difference you'll find - the shirt of the "common soldier". The difference between the basic shirt is about the same for the lions, less shiny/bright, slightly different color shade. Though light reflecting differently probably overemphasizes the difference for the dragon head.

chess-comparison2.jpg

3. On the left Chess, on the right from Mill Village Raid. Again the scales are a different shade, and a bit of difference in the chain part. I actually think the lighter scales look a bit better...

chess-comparison3.jpg

4. On the left chess, on the right Outpost Attack. Slight red hue to the white in the shirt for the chess soldier, and less shiny lion.

chess-comparison4.jpg

So as can be seen, differences exist. But from an arm's length they're just not meaningful. Heck, you could just consider the less shiny ones more battle-worn and be done with it default_tong.gif So unless you're extremely obsessive, there shouldn't be a problem. I have a definite obsessive streak myself, but I'm fine with them for the price.

---

On the topic of Kingdoms continuing even further - I'd love if that were the case. It had such a short run, there's potential for much, much more. It would indeed even be possible to just add a third Kingdom, such as the Black Falcons. But I do find a large-scale continuation unlikely, since they'll most likely want to maximize LOTR sales as far as knight-ey stuff goes, so having Kingdoms alongside it probably would seem counter-productive to that end.

I had a look around and on lego wikia it says the theme will probably continue on. So it's not definite but there's a chance.

"...it will probably still continue into 2012." The article is slightly out of date. Kingdoms did indeed continue into 2012 with Kingdoms Joust and Chess set, the latter of which is not mentioned at all in the article.

Personally I'm pretty surprised if it is a normal retail set, as that would seem to be directly competing against Lego LotR and a single set wouldn't probably get much shelf space in stores. I would expect something out of the "extended lines" like the chess and battlepacks and whatnot. But what do I know, TLC certainly has a better understanding of the overall situation than me.

No, I don't think Kingdoms will be discontinued since it seems like such a popular theme. :sweet:

Here's a link: Click Here

Like Haltiamieli said, that information is outdated and has no mentions on 2013,

and other than that it's not even a reliable source. I'd say, and it may pain some, that this theme is officially dead....

I'll be disappointed if kingdoms does get dumped in favour of just LOTR, I can't afford to sate my castle habit with a licensed theme. I could see them stopping for the rest of this year, but I'd like them to bring it back as a full theme hopefully in 2013. Or maybe a new castle line?

I can't afford to sate my castle habit with a licensed theme.

7946 King's Castle had 933 pieces and cost $99.99 in the US.

9474 Helm's Deep has 1368 pieces and cost $129.99 in the US.

Considering Helm's Deep has a better price-per-piece, why couldn't you afford LOTR sets any less than regular castle? Only attack on Weathertop has a bad price-per-piece.

"...it will probably still continue into 2012." The article is slightly out of date. Kingdoms did indeed continue into 2012 with Kingdoms Joust and Chess set, the latter of which is not mentioned at all in the article.

Personally I'm pretty surprised if it is a normal retail set, as that would seem to be directly competing against Lego LotR and a single set wouldn't probably get much shelf space in stores. I would expect something out of the "extended lines" like the chess and battlepacks and whatnot. But what do I know, TLC certainly has a better understanding of the overall situation than me.

Okay sorry, I haven't really looked at Lego Wikia much before so I wasn't sure if it was reliable. :blush:

tvih, can I get a photo of the lion knight guy you posted unhelmeted head? The scruffy bit looks new to me.

tvih, can I get a photo of the lion knight guy you posted unhelmeted head? The scruffy bit looks new to me.

This one? It was originally Mac MacCloud's head in Pharaoh's Quest, but was also used on a Lion knight in last year's Escape from Dragon's Prison before the chess set.

It will not be D2C set, beacuse those are well guarded we usualy get to know about them just days before official presentation.

We knew about the Haunted House for months before the official announcement. Same for R2-D2. So I wouldn't rule out a D2C set, especially since this will be a single set. Retail sets nearly always come out in groups of at the very least two or three. If it's one final set for Kingdoms, then I'd be pretty confident it will be D2C.

I can't imagine there'll be any other Kingdoms sets this year. The Joust was the big send-off, and the chess a specialty release.

But as I pondered in the pinned Kingdoms thread, maybe we'll see a Kingdoms II down the line? Quoting myself:

With the enemy knight in the Kingdoms Joust set being a Falcon Knight rather than a Dragon Knight, and assuming that Kingdoms Joust is going to stick around for a few years (a la Medieval Market Village), could that be a sign that the next Castle theme might be a "Kingdoms II" featuring the same Lion Knights but with Falcon Knights as the bad guys? LEGO could even use the Kingdoms Joust set as a backstory to why the Lion and Falcon Knights started fighting with each other.. Like the Falcon Knight disrespected the King at the joust tournament, something like that.

You gotta admit, Kingdoms Joust would be a pretty perfect "bridge" set for a Kingdoms II theme with Falcon Knights as the bad guys.

Or the Falcon Knight in the Kingdoms Joust is just an homage to the Crusaders vs. Black Falcons of the 80s.. But one can hope it's not only that!

7946 King's Castle had 933 pieces and cost $99.99 in the US.

9474 Helm's Deep has 1368 pieces and cost $129.99 in the US.

Considering Helm's Deep has a better price-per-piece, why couldn't you afford LOTR sets any less than regular castle? Only attack on Weathertop has a bad price-per-piece.

Ok, I admit, at the larger end its not so bad, and Helms deep isn't bad for its cost. But, I can remember when I could pick up 6076 Dark Dragons Den (218 pcs) for £19.99 in the uk, whilst the 9471 Uruk hai army has 257 pcs (a difference of 39 pcs) and is £29.99. Although, to be fair, if Dark Dragons den came out now, it would cost nearer £30 anyway, so perhaps my argument is a bit poor.

My point is probably moot, as I think the sets are awesome, and I'll probably buy them anyway... I guess I'm just grumbling. As an aside, a lot of my issue has to do with the flesh heads, I like them, and my Star Wars stuff (I don't collect other sci-fi stuff unless its just for parts) wont be without them, but I find it harder to mix them in with my ordinary castle stuff seeing as thats all yellow. Hence, I have to replace the flesh heads with yellow ones to allow them to fit in, or keep it all separate, or put flesh heads on all my castle stuff- something I'm loath to do, as there's a lack of flehies when compared to yellow ones.

To be honest, once I get some of the LOTR sets I suspect I'll be won over wholeheartedly.

Just my two pence... :)

This one? It was originally Mac MacCloud's head in Pharaoh's Quest, but was also used on a Lion knight in last year's Escape from Dragon's Prison before the chess set.

Its also on some of the new City Forest firefighters.

Edited by thecolossus

We knew about the Haunted House for months before the official announcement. Same for R2-D2. So I wouldn't rule out a D2C set, especially since this will be a single set. Retail sets nearly always come out in groups of at the very least two or three. If it's one final set for Kingdoms, then I'd be pretty confident it will be D2C.

It will not be D2C.

R2D2 and Haunted House were (un)planned teasers.

It will not be D2C.

R2D2 and Haunted House were (un)planned teasers.

So a one-off retail set? That sounds really weird and hard to believe to be honest. I also don't understand then why they did cut the 2nd wave of Kingdoms that short if they are still planning for retail presence of the theme.

I read somewhere that the Chess and Joust aren't the only sets for Kingdoms this year. There was one more...

-Sci

I read somewhere that the Chess and Joust aren't the only sets for Kingdoms this year. There was one more...

Probably based on Cwetqo's post that's being discussed, or otherwise there's two identical rumours going around.