Fives

Kingdoms 2012?

I anticipate we might have a sad letter from someone at TLG soon, like the community got about Pirates when PotC was announced.

Hmm? Didn't know about that. I'd be interested to see a copy of the letter or to know what it said.

Hmm? Didn't know about that. I'd be interested to see a copy of the letter or to know what it said.

Just so you know, Pirates isn't gone its on hiatus like every other line that isn't one of our primary themes: CASTLE, SPACE, and CITY

Pirates isn't going away, its just not going to be a constant theme. Its going to phase in and out just like every other theme that isn't one of those three. Everyone is freaking out just a bit too much on this one and I just wanted to reassure you guys that pirates isn't disappearing. Just taking a break

Steve

our primary themes: CASTLE, SPACE, and CITY

Its going to phase in and out just like every other theme that isn't one of those three.

...hmmmmm hehe. Well, I hope it pays off for TLC and it's a worthy replacement for Kingdoms.

Edited by Weil

I disagree that "Kingdoms had a good run". IMO, it was just starting to hit its stride and it was 'kneecapped' by LOTR.

Yes, I'm excited about LOTR but, I wish Kingdoms could have been given the time to live up to its potential. There was soooooooooo much more that could have been/should have been done and I feel that now, the momentum is completely shot. Even if they "bring back" Kingdoms after LOTR is finished its run, it won't be the same. It'll most likely be "Kingdoms II", with as much a difference in 'feel' as there was between KKI and KKII (hopefully "Kingdoms II" wouldn't be so gawd-awfully horrible as KKII though).

I mourn for Kingdoms. I was slow to warm to it, since I was still mourning the loss of 'fantasy era' Castle but, I soon came to love it a lot and I will most definitely miss it when it's gone, regardless of how cool the LOTR/Hobbit sets end up being.

I'm not convinced that Kingdoms will be discontinued. Yes, on one hand Pirates of the Caribbean did come out as the Pirate line was wrapping up. But on the other hand, Star Wars was never the death knell for any of Lego's own Space themes.

You seem pretty sure about that. :cry_sad: Care to share a source? I anticipate we might have a sad letter from someone at TLG soon, like the community got about Pirates when PotC was announced.

No Source just my hopeless self :laugh: Safe to assume since all the people who brought us news of other 2012 sets saw no indication of new sets. That coupled with the large Kingdoms Joust and LOTR coming out. However nothing is ever gone until TLG says so itself so there is still a chance but right now I seriously am doubting that. :sceptic:

I'm not convinced that Kingdoms will be discontinued. Yes, on one hand Pirates of the Caribbean did come out as the Pirate line was wrapping up. But on the other hand, Star Wars was never the death knell for any of Lego's own Space themes.

Actually, it was, in a way. Think of the gap between Life on Mars and Mars Mission.

Actually, it was, in a way. Think of the gap between Life on Mars and Mars Mission.

I did consider that: I'd say that was more likely due to an economic slump causing a severe hit to overall sales for several years (2002-2004) with excessive stock left on the shelves. The Star Wars theme was introduced in 1999; and new Lego Space products continued to be introduced through 2001 concurrent with the Star Wars theme. A positive outlook didn't show up again in the annual report until 2005; then in 2007, Lego introduced a new space theme, and has continued introducing new space products side by side with Star Wars products since that time. It's also worth noting that during the hiatus of the Space them, there were two new Star Wars movies coming out to support such a licensed product. But I don't think anyone at TLG ever said that since Star Wars was a space theme, the company had to discontinue all of its own space themes. I just think everyone is jumping the gun a bit by assuming that Kingdoms is done away with. Maybe they will cut it as they did the Pirates theme -- I just don't see any basis for a pattern yet.

I, too, hope that Kingdoms will continue alongside LoTR. The Mill Raid, set is amazing, as well as the Joust set (saw it in person at Brick-Con). Sets like these are great builds, and great story-builders as well.

As far as LoTR goes, I'm a lukewarm fan at best. I'm curious to see the sets, although my preference will remain that TLG continue the Kingdoms line.

Although I too would like to see the kingdoms or fantasy to continue, I am also very excited about the LOTR theme! Can't wait for all the new fleshies ...

P.S.: I told everyone Derfel wasn't talking trash about the cereal box!

Although I too would like to see the kingdoms or fantasy to continue, I am also very excited about the LOTR theme! Can't wait for all the new fleshies ...

P.S.: I told everyone Derfel wasn't talking trash about the cereal box!

:laugh: well i would be lying if I said that I didn't know LOTR was coming, but I was trying to play it down. It's all about nice surprises!

Aaaaand Kingdoms has been removed from the Lego website. :cry_sad:

Edited by Tommy

Aaaaand Kingdoms has been removed from the Lego website. :cry_sad:

No it hasn't. Not on the US site anyway. It's got its own little theme icon under "Products" and I can navigate in and see all the sets.

No it hasn't. Not on the US site anyway. It's got its own little theme icon under "Products" and I can navigate in and see all the sets.

But can you buy any of them?

It's no longer listed under "Themes" in the shopping section; if you go to "products" and select themes, you can indeed see the sets... but not for sale. Click on "check price" for any of them.

Even the joust set, prelisted, is under "exclusives," as there's no kingdoms... try this, too: check the price for the mill village raid, and it'll come up on a page and show that it's sold out, but there's a list of tags on the bottom... selecting "kingdoms" takes me the front shopping page again.

Kingdoms could be continued in 2012! Found this interesting little tid bit on CC forums -

Link

Ooh, that sounds promising! :sweet: Although they are saying "Castle", not "Kingdoms" i note - could this mean new factions and backstories are in the offing?

Kingdoms could be continued in 2012! Found this interesting little tid bit on CC forums -

Link

AAAAAND there goes my budget.

But seriously, if it's true than we have the best of all possible worlds.

Link

As with the LotR thing, I would like to know more about this to know if it's legit. If it is legit, and not wordplay ("Oh, there will still be castles, like the ones in LotR or that Dracula Castle. Those are castles, so Castle is still around."), then that is great news for me as a fan of castle. Potentially bad news for my wallet though between the bits of Ninjago that I want, the LotR sets, Dracula's Castle, some of the SW sets, and now maybe more Castle sets.

Curious, as a reliable source mentioned that there were no Kingdoms sets nor any non-licenced new Castle theme sets coming next year (besides the Joust). We will wait and see...

Link

That seems odd, but coming directly from LEGO, it seems promising. And they said "LEGO Castle returns", not "LEGO will have castles", so I don't think they mean the castles in LotR and Monster Fighters. But if this is true... I need to make some money fast. LotR, Monster Fighters, more Kingdoms, some Ninjago sets, possibly some Superheroes sets, not to mention Collectible Minifigures... I don't know how I'm going to afford it all.

Edited by Phyre

That seems odd, but coming directly from LEGO, it seems promising. And they said "LEGO Castle returns", not "LEGO will have castles", so I don't think they mean the castles in LotR and Monster Fighters. But if this is true... I need to make some money fast. LotR, Monster Fighters, more Kingdoms, some Ninjago sets, possibly some Superheroes sets, not to mention Collectible Minifigures... I don't know how I'm going to afford it all.

I know I'm not going to be able to afford all the sets I want next year. With any luck, the 2013 sets will all be crummy and then I can catch up on 2012... :laugh:

It's great if Lego can still make room for a traditional Castle theme. Lego seems to be all about spreading around happiness next year.

How about some wild speculation? We have a few details to consider. The reply said Castle, despite the question saying Kingdoms. Then we have a lack of Kingdoms news for 2012 thus far (in fairness, maybe it's under wraps, somehow). Now throw in the Black Falcon figure in the Joust set. Maybe this all points to a return of Castle, not Kingdoms, featuring the Black Falcons (and presumably at least one other faction).

I wont hold my breath on this being true just yet, but it does sound promising and makes sense in a way. LoTR has no traditional castles, and both afols and kids like their more historic castles for big wars.

Sounds bad for the wallet though, I just know I'll want some of the LoTR sets, and if the new line of castle in some form proves true I might want that as well. If only they'd bring back fantasy, I could get my orcs/dragons/dwarves and avoid paying licensed tax on LoTR altogether :tongue: ( Yeah, my dark ages ended at the same time fantasy did, worst timing ever )