Fives

Kingdoms 2012?

Weak source with much speculation and rumour

Ok... the source says there is a rumour that LEGO:The hobbit is in the works due out "Winter 2012" in time for the release

of the hobbit at the end of 2012.

So maybe I was a bit specualative and assumptive... but I've got nothing else concrete and if I really did have concrete information,

I would not be saying it here online.

Huh. In that link you gave, it references an even earlier article from early 2009. Take a look:

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2009/03/16/lego-hobbit-lego-harry-potter-lego-batman-2-lego-indiana-jones-2-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull-confirmed-by-animator.htm

It's saying there that a Traveller's Tales employee mentioned the following games in development:

Lego Harry Potter

Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Lego Batman 2

Lego Battles (Nintendo DS)

Lego Hobbit

So did all of these end up being published between March 2009 and now (except Hobbit of course)? Let's see. This wikipedia article has a listing of Lego games.

Lego Harry Potter (YES,years 1-4, years 5-7)

Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (YES, released in 2009)

Lego Batman 2 (YES, upcoming in 2012)

Lego Battles (Nintendo DS) (YES, released in 2009)

Lego Hobbit (NOT LISTED)

Interesting. I used to work on video games, and I shipped 3 console games, for the record. Games can take a couple of years to make, or more depending on the situation. So it's plausible that even in early/mid 2009 they would have started on a Hobbit game. It also looks like the other games mentioned all were released. Of particular note is the mention of Batman 2. It has almost the same title as mentioned in the article _and_ it is set for release in 2012 - hasn't even come out yet. That makes me think the mention of the Lego Hobbit game could be true as well.

It sounds like the source from that article isn't named. Maybe the blogger/news person had a chat with a friend of theirs at the company. ("A staff member of the UK studio..."). That's a little shady, is all. There's still some doubt there I'm afraid.

Well, more fuel for the circular argument fire. Sorry, lol. :devil:

You just dumped a barrel of lighter fluid on the fire :laugh:

Unfortunately it's a difficult situation, believe it or not, there are a lot of people here who do know things a long time before everyone else, but outof respect do not make things public.

The only reason it's a difficult situation is because anyone that does know won't say anything. I believe there are people that do know. I also believe nothing that is out at the moment says it is happening. And yet, we have 2 threads in two forums going on for pages and pages and the only answer anyone has is "ask somebody else" I hope you can appreciate that after a certain point those posts serve no purpose other than to frustrate people. If respect is the concern, why will random LEGO employee answer my questions at all about this? Surely they know what I will likely do with this info. So I don't buy it.

If you believe it's not going to happen that's fine, that's what this thread is for, discussion.

I've never said that. I have said repeatedly that I accept it is a very real possibility. What I don't believe is that there is any evidence to support it because there isn't. There is nothing anyone can point to and say "there you go", because no one has despite repeated calls by a few posters. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to discuss or not. That would be hypocritical of someone who has started multiple "what would you like to see next threads". What I want is to know why, based on absolutely no evidence, people are acting like this absolutely will happen and Kingdoms is toast because that talk really kills the mood and it's got nothing to back it up.

But to assume no one knows the truth of weather it is or not is pointless, cause a lot of people do. You'll just have to wait and see what happens. Oh and by the way, there are 2 Lego stores I know that have been open about weather it will or not. Oh well, I guess you will just have to wait and see what ithemes are unvieled at the upcoming shows.

How does this help anyone at all? If you know but won't share, how does saying you know do anything positive?

Sooooooo :blush: since there are no LEGO stores anywhere near me, is it possible to have you or someone else on this forum ask them for me and then relay the answer back to me via this thread?!

I should be at one later this week and as I said earlier I will ask. I will tell you what they say because if they actually answer me I have no real intention of keeping it secret, which is why they really shouldn't answer me. I'll even tell you which store when I reply.

It sounds like the source from that article isn't named. Maybe the blogger/news person had a chat with a friend of theirs at the company. ("A staff member of the UK studio..."). That's a little shady, is all. There's still some doubt there I'm afraid.

Here is the actual quote:

"In addition to the above titles, the staff member also seemingly confirmed Lego Hobbit, a game based on Peter Jackson’s upcoming “The Hobbit” movies."

I've highlighted the important part. Seemingly. No article linked to any of that that I have found confirms, seemingly or otherwise, that it is happening. What is said is that they pitched the idea, nothing about how it turned out. Another linked article talks about possible WB properties that they could work on and includes Watchmen, Terminator, and Superman. So, where are the Watchmen and Terminator LEGO threads? They have just as much backing them up (nothing). Whether this is actually happening or not, the video game angle is obviously built on smoke and mirrors reflecting and distorting hopes and dreams. Reading through it all is a nice view of the life cycle of a rumor.

I can come up with at least that much to make it seem like Kingdoms might be continuing next year. Over here on Classic Castle a guy posted his response from LEGO when he asked why there was seemingly only one Kingdoms set coming out next year. Now, I am sure it will be pointed out that A) why should we trust that that was the actual response (though we could just send the same email in and see if we get the same response) and B) the way it is written allows for Kingdoms to not continue. However, that level of critical thinking is not happening with the LotR topic, so I see no reason to apply it to Kingdoms topics.

I have nothing against LotR or the person saying it will happen or the people saying... whatever it is they are saying. But, as it stands, it seems like any hope of meaningful discussion of a possible future for Kingdoms has been totally killed by baseless rumors fueled by vague and misread articles and a lack of Kingdoms sets in catalogs (despite numerous posters pointing out that we usually don't have the second half of the year catalogs yet). I think at this point it isn't too much to ask for some proof before we totally write off Kingdoms.

Tyrant, I think part of the problem you're discussing is that we're muddy'ing up this Kingdoms thread with LotR talk. It can be hard to keep the two separate, but really speculation about LotR 2012 stuff should go in its dedicated thread. The poor moderators probably hate these types of threads!

I think most people reading these threads are smart enough to realize that the swirling rumor mill is based on nothing very tangible at all. But I think it's okay for some people to get excited, even if most of our spirits will be crushed (or lifted) later this year (one way or the other). :laugh: Maybe some solid info will come out soon to put an end to our misery, eh?

Tyrant, I think part of the problem you're discussing is that we're muddy'ing up this Kingdoms thread with LotR talk. It can be hard to keep the two separate, but really speculation about LotR 2012 stuff should go in its dedicated thread. The poor moderators probably hate these types of threads!

I didn't want to say anything about that as it seems like the current assumption is that LotR will kill Kingdoms, though I believe I could argue that the two don't really overlap all that much. But I agree with you.

I think most people reading these threads are smart enough to realize that the swirling rumor mill is based on nothing very tangible at all. But I think it's okay for some people to get excited, even if most of our spirits will be crushed (or lifted) later this year (one way or the other). :laugh: Maybe some solid info will come out soon to put an end to our misery, eh?

I've got nothing against rumors (despite how my posts may come across) or people getting excited. I've started threads about what people want to see out of Castle/Kingdoms and I've said what I would like to see out of a LotR line so I can relate. I imagine I am not coming across that way though because parts of this discussion are getting a little frustrating. Hopefully something solid does come out. I had honestly hoped that I had actually overlooked something and there was something out there that said straight up Yes or No. I would prefer to hear that Kingdoms will continue because I really want a Dragon castle (and a leader), but if we hear that LotR is coming at least we will know (and presumably we will begin speculating in earnest).

I have nothing against LotR or the person saying it will happen or the people saying... whatever it is they are saying. But, as it stands, it seems like any hope of meaningful discussion of a possible future for Kingdoms has been totally killed by baseless rumors fueled by vague and misread articles and a lack of Kingdoms sets in catalogs (despite numerous posters pointing out that we usually don't have the second half of the year catalogs yet). I think at this point it isn't too much to ask for some proof before we totally write off Kingdoms.

:thumbup:

I should be at one later this week and as I said earlier I will ask. I will tell you what they say because if they actually answer me I have no real intention of keeping it secret, which is why they really shouldn't answer me. I'll even tell you which store when I reply.

Of course it's equally probable that store employees who may not actually know anything, but are big Lego fans, will have read all the same rumours on t'internet and come to the conclusion that it's definitely happening. So even confirmation isn't really confirmation unless it comes from someone with some pretty irrefutable connection to Lego product design or some hard proof.

Personally I'd rather see some classic castle sets, even with a bit of fantasy thrown in, than LotR. I think there's a little bit too much emphasis on licensed lines at the moment and TLG shouldn't really need one to sell good castle sets.

Personally I'd rather see some classic castle sets, even with a bit of fantasy thrown in, than LotR. I think there's a little bit too much emphasis on licensed lines at the moment and TLG shouldn't really need one to sell good castle sets.

I definately agree. I understand why they're doing all those licensed themes, but I hope it doesn't come to the point where it's all they do and only their City line being "original".

I like LOTR, but licensed themes does two things I dislike: racks up the already very steep prices and gives us fleshie minifigs. No thanks to both. Besides, Kingdoms is the best Castle subtheme since the 80's - if not their best ever! And the last Castle Fantasy line showed that they can do fantasy stuff just fine without a license.

I'm personally hoping for an expanded Kingdoms theme this year with a third faction. Forestmen or Black Falcons would be amazing.

I think it is fair game to talk about LOTR here because IT IS what WILL kill Kingdoms. Just like POTC... Seeing how LOTR is a touchy subject, my friends, all my friends that work at the Lego store in the Ham, have not gotten any papers saying

Kindoms is continuing. However, my store is stated to recieve the joust set on December 26th!

I think it is fair game to talk about LOTR here because IT IS what WILL kill Kingdoms. Just like POTC... Seeing how LOTR is a touchy subject, my friends, all my friends that work at the Lego store in the Ham, have not gotten any papers saying

Kindoms is continuing. However, my store is stated to recieve the joust set on December 26th!

I agree, LOTR will probably be to Kingdoms what POTC was to pirates.

A little story... When I used to work for Disney, we were always asked about rumors that people had heard. Usually, we had no idea what was going on, and if we did, the public was sure to know what was up within hours. However, I knew people who would intentionally just start confirming rumors with no basis, because that was what the guests wanted to hear! Additionally, there is always those people in a company that think they know what is happening that really don't. This happened a lot at the mouse, also.

With that little story in mind, take this for what it is worth: I was in a few Lego stores today, and a Legoland center. Of course the Legoland people knew nothing since they are Merlin Entertainment, but at both Lego Stores I asked two questions. "Is there any new POTC coming?" and "So I head something about LOTR..." At both I was told there were no new POTC that anyone knew about. At the first store, the employee told me they did not know about LOTR. However, at the second store, a manager confirmed that it was, and it looked like it would be mid year. The employee who was helping me, the person I asked, was hush about it, but the manager next to them just went ahead and confirmed it. Then the employee said that he didn't know that they were allowed to tell people. The manager just kind of shrugged. So with my caveat story above, take this for what it is worth... hearsay really, but rumors actually coming out of Lego employee mouths.

I agree, LOTR will probably be to Kingdoms what POTC was to pirates.

A little story... When I used to work for Disney, we were always asked about rumors that people had heard. Usually, we had no idea what was going on, and if we did, the public was sure to know what was up within hours. However, I knew people who would intentionally just start confirming rumors with no basis, because that was what the guests wanted to hear! Additionally, there is always those people in a company that think they know what is happening that really don't. This happened a lot at the mouse, also.

With that little story in mind, take this for what it is worth: I was in a few Lego stores today, and a Legoland center. Of course the Legoland people knew nothing since they are Merlin Entertainment, but at both Lego Stores I asked two questions. "Is there any new POTC coming?" and "So I head something about LOTR..." At both I was told there were no new POTC that anyone knew about. At the first store, the employee told me they did not know about LOTR. However, at the second store, a manager confirmed that it was, and it looked like it would be mid year. The employee who was helping me, the person I asked, was hush about it, but the manager next to them just went ahead and confirmed it. Then the employee said that he didn't know that they were allowed to tell people. The manager just kind of shrugged. So with my caveat story above, take this for what it is worth... hearsay really, but rumors actually coming out of Lego employee mouths.

Exactly what i said a long long time ago! The manager at the ham store said no more kingdoms, joust comes out the 26th, and LOTR mid year, and Flying dutchmen 2000+ piece set comin that he saw at a managers meeting///

i will only believe when i see the sets in stores or maybe atleast on amazon =) come on, lotr? really? no pls...is lego going to be lazy thinking about own themes? although i personally really like potc and probably would get the lotr line, as it also would be some kind of smash for middle ages fantasy fans as me.

PotC DIDN'T kill Pirates. The 2009 Pirates theme was never intended to last multiple waves. They were going for a brief revival and that's all. I imagine they'll do the same thing again with Pirates five or so years down the line; unlike themes like City, Pirates is a lot more sporadic.

And if Lego decides to do LotR it doesn't mean they're too "lazy" to think up their own themes. Lego currently has a lot of original themes, even though they don't all fit in the classic City/Space/Castle categories we've gotten used to. Ninjago in particular is getting a lot of their attention.

See, here's the problem - I'm as optimistic as the next guy, and I would be really happy to see a LOTR/Hobbit theme, but it's just some guy's blog, and I didn't even see a link to an actual article...

The most compelling statement was that it was "confirmed" by Martin Tremblay, but then when I googled "martin tremblay hobbit lego," the only articles I got either referred to a commonly misread LA Times article, or flat out say something like (from the first hit I got):

Report: Lego Batman 2, The Hobbit, and DC Comic games releasing in 2012

Earlier today, Gamekyo reported that Warner was set to announce LEGO Batman 2 for multiple platforms next year, and now the LA Times has word that The Hobbit, as well as another DC Comics-based title are heading our way in 2012.

Now, where does it say the Hobbit game will be LEGO? Why does Batman get the title "LEGO Batman," and the Hobbit only gets "the Hobbit," and because it's in the same sentence people think it applies to both.

Many of the articles I hit even said it in reverse order: "Hobbit, LEGO Batman 2," which makes it a bit less easy to misinterpret.

So I'm not arguing it will or won't happen; I personally think it makes and would be quite popular. My first choice for castle is LOTR/Hobbit, followed closely by another Fantasy Era, followed by anything else (which I probably wouldn't buy), so I really do want to be optimistic... but I think these articles have been misread, and the misinterpretation repeated over and over again, and when you drill down to the source, there's nothing to indicate the Hobbit game will, in fact, be LEGO the Hobbit as opposed to just a regular Hobbit game.

Oooo, I want some LEGO sets from The Hobbit! I need more Dwarves! When does the movie come out?

Next December?! Let's hope there's something sooner than that.

So it begins... ( to quote the movie...)

I´m not happy over this. I really liked where Kingdoms where heading. To pay more money for ugly fleshies... :angry: But I´ve to admit that I´m problably going to buy some set, because this will surely bring new bricks to the world..

So it begins... ( to quote the movie...)

I´m not happy over this. I really liked where Kingdoms where heading. To pay more money for ugly fleshies... :angry: But I´ve to admit that I´m problably going to buy some set, because this will surely bring new bricks to the world..

I love the theme, but have to admit I hate fleshies too! So I'm hoping a lot of torso's aren't showing (a lot of) flesh so I can just change te hands and heads!...

Yep, we have been talking about it in the licensed forum for about an hour.....AWESOME news eh ? :grin:

I have PM'ed some of the moderators to ask where LOTR will live - Licensed or Historic forums ? :wink:

I think this LotR news, will kill all speculation for Kingdom sets in 2012 and 2013 (at least)... still I am very joyful. :cry_happy:

aghsfjfjghsifgifbdsjkfvhskidjfhg!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:check this out peeps!! :wub:

Cannot speak for the awesome. I am so happy right now, i cannot even. :laugh:

This belongs in Licensed Themes, in the LOtR thread. Can't people read the topic title, Kingdoms.

R.I.P LEGO Castle. :sad:

Word. This is sad news.