kris kelvin

Hero Factory 2012

I don't like the whole

absorb and not be able to control power, leading to bearer's destruction

thing going on there, but the rest of the plot seems interesting enough.

I actually expected something more focused on Core Hunter's hobby- extracting cores and disabling Heroes. Something more focused on Core Hunter and Bulk. I know it's unlikely that LEGO would ever consider something so violent, but I would have liked to see Core Hunter disable Heroes sent to aid Bulk in his mission, then Bulk beat Core Hunter down and rip out his core! OR just shoot a hole through the Hunter. Either way, that would be bad-A. Am I right?

I don't think a "violence begets violence" resolution for a story involving Core Hunter would really be appropriate to the character. I think a villain as twisted as him needs a psychological punishment of some kind, not just a violent one, and I think this story does that nicely. Not as nicely as the way Dream breaks up the serial killers' convention in Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, but still to the point that he is thoroughly humiliated by the very end.

Also, rest assured that while Core Hunter's MO is not what drives the plot in this story (only one "good guy" dies in this story), the horrendousness of what Core Hunter does is frequently alluded to and not taken lightly.

I don't think a "violence begets violence" resolution for a story involving Core Hunter would really be appropriate to the character. I think a villain as twisted as him needs a psychological punishment of some kind, not just a violent one, and I think this story does that nicely. Not as nicely as the way Dream breaks up the serial killers' convention in Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, but still to the point that he is thoroughly humiliated by the very end.

Also, rest assured that while Core Hunter's MO is not what drives the plot in this story (only one "good guy" dies in this story), the horrendousness of what Core Hunter does is frequently alluded to and not taken lightly.

Those last lines were the best to hear. Core Hunter's taken seriously, and is given a thorough punishment in the end. Even if that punishment results in

being crushed into nothingness

New Omega recon update was good. Provided a good explanation as to why Stringer was not present for the final battle (a damn sight better than "I forgot where I parked my Hero Pod!"), and was an unexpected twist on the general storytelling of the reports.

However, it's labeled as report number 6. Which is just wtf.

Thanks Aanchir! I'm actually intrigued by the book now. It's cool to hear Core Hunter does nasty stuff on screen. And speaking of him...

Now some us were made long enough ago that we knew Core Hunter when he was one of the good guys, before he went into business for himself, if you know what I mean. Now he’s a bounty hunter and after a while sitting on the fence, well, he’s obviously picked a side!

tumblr_lmjm4nI9OF1qkibivo1_400.jpg

Edited by Shakar

New Omega recon update was good. Provided a good explanation as to why Stringer was not present for the final battle (a damn sight better than "I forgot where I parked my Hero Pod!"), and was an unexpected twist on the general storytelling of the reports.

However, it's labeled as report number 6. Which is just wtf.

So many Omega Recon updates... it kind of annoys me because we've only gotten two entries to Lloyd Garmadon's Blog. :hmpf_bad: Now, I recognize that Hero Factory needs story supplements way more than Ninjago does, since Ninjago already has a full TV series, not to mention successful books and graphic novels, but at the same time I'd prefer character-driven writing to these awkward snippets of story in any theme.

Thanks Aanchir! I'm actually intrigued by the book now. It's cool to hear Core Hunter does nasty stuff on screen. And speaking of him...

Yes, Core Hunter was once a Hero. While I agree with some people that it's becoming repetitive to see villains with ties to Hero Factory, this is perhaps the first chapter of the story to actually look into it with a more critical eye. Stormer and Surge both find themselves wondering what it is exactly that causes heroes to turn bad, and in Surge's case it plays into his own internal debate about whether he would be at risk of going down that path if the opportunity presents itself. Which is important in this book, because the opportunity does in fact present itself, and he finds himself faced with that very decision.

Edited by Aanchir

Well that's a twist!

While part of me thinks again(?) with Core Hunter's back story, he was a Hero turned rogue, out to get Hero Factory and blah blah blah, I like the sound of the whole thing especially the part with

Surge. I've been waiting a long time for a development in that area for Surge- it was only mentioned in the Bios on the website briefly, and I'm glad something's being done with it.

I think I may just have to pick up this book whenever it hits stores.. sounds like a good read. :D

By the way, has it been confirmed whether or not the things featured in this book will be in an episode? Or XT4/Nex or Breez/Thornraxx for that matter.

Edited by Cirkit

So based on the timeline, Core Hunter's defection is post-Von Ness? Because if I remember right, it was pointedly stated that VN was the first of their kind to go bad (but then, as presented with the book timeline, he was on the first Hero team as it is anyway, so not terribly unsurprising). Either way, I love that this is all tying into the various media. There are some discrepancies here and there, but there's an actual effort to tie in these various media bits, which is something HF was definitely was lacking (too bad the comics decided to go in a different direction, but ah well, can't have it all).

Well that's a twist!

While part of me thinks again(?) with Core Hunter's back story, he was a Hero turned rogue, out to get Hero Factory and blah blah blah, I like the sound of the whole thing especially the part with

Surge. I've been waiting a long time for a development in that area for Surge- it was only mentioned in the Bios on the website briefly, and I'm glad something's being done with it.

I think I may just have to pick up this book whenever it hits stores.. sounds like a good read. :D

By the way, has it been confirmed whether or not the things featured in this book will be in an episode? Or XT4/Nex or Breez/Thornraxx for that matter.

Core Hunter's a bit different than a lot of villains connected with the Hero Factory in that he doesn't seem to have any desire for revenge. He hunts heroes as a way of building a reputation as a villain, and his primary motivation seems to be to become legendary, rather than anything as petty and spiteful as revenge.

Towards the end of the book, when he's supercharged with energy, he suggests that with the power he has he could lead armies to conquer Makuhero City, but the way he phrases it it sounds like he's just mulling over the ways he could demonstrate his new power, rather than trying to follow some lifelong dream. On the other hand, at this point he might actually want revenge on the Hero Factory, since in goading him to put together the Doom Box, Stormer and the other heroes put together a story that was meant to shatter Core Hunter's pride, and Core Hunter never learns that it was a fabrication.

I strongly doubt that this book's contents will become an episode. There are just a lot of aspects of them that don't seem like episode material, particularly the huge cast of characters, frequent callbacks, and failure to advertise many of the most recent sets. All in all, it's a great story, and could potentially be adapted into animated form quite well, but it simply doesn't mesh with the style or purpose (advertising toys) of the other episodes.

There's also the small issue of this story conflicting with Breakout in small ways. Multiple times villains still on the loose are named, and the list always includes all the villains from the summer sets-- including Speeda Demon and Volt. Speeda Demon still being on the loose is actually a bit of a plot point, even though he doesn't actually appear in the story. While these aspects could easily be changed for an episode, something tells me that if the story were written with the intent of broadcasting it as an episode, these errors would not have snuck by.

I was actually hoping we might at least see the heroes and villains not featured in Breakout in some type of mini-movies on LEGO.com, much like the two-minute Ninjago mini-movies from last year, but alas, it was never all that likely.

So based on the timeline, Core Hunter's defection is post-Von Ness? Because if I remember right, it was pointedly stated that VN was the first of their kind to go bad (but then, as presented with the book timeline, he was on the first Hero team as it is anyway, so not terribly unsurprising). Either way, I love that this is all tying into the various media. There are some discrepancies here and there, but there's an actual effort to tie in these various media bits, which is something HF was definitely was lacking (too bad the comics decided to go in a different direction, but ah well, can't have it all).

Probably after Von Ness. I don't remember the story ever specifying. Von Ness is certainly an older Hero, having been around since the infancy of Alpha 1 Team. However, it should be noted that the recent Omega Recon update says that "after a while sitting on the fence, well, he’s obviously picked a side!" So this suggests that Core Hunter may have given up his career as a Hero before he dedicated his life to villainy. I still imagine he deserted the Hero Factory after Von Ness, but I still think it's a point worth noting.

The funny thing is that both The Doom Box and the Omega Recon #6 update just describe Core Hunter's history in brief (though it gets mentioned several times in The Doom Box), as if we're supposed to know it already. But I have never seen it mentioned outside these story materials.

Sorry but I had to do that xD

corehunter.jpg

This joke has been done to death. Same with that damn "over 9000" joke.

They're not funny anymore.

Edited by Jetrax99

^ Aww, come on. ^

Thanks for the explanation, Aanchir. Interesting that Surge's insecurity about being an Hero (a 2010 subplot, right?) was brought up again. I wonder if deep down CH's core stealing could symbolize his desire to forget his past- he literally robs "fellow" Heroes of what represents them the most.

Edited by Shakar

^ Aww, come on. ^

Thanks for the explanation, Aanchir. Interesting that Surge's insecurity about being an Hero (a 2010 subplot, right?) was brought up again. I wonder if deep down CH's core stealing could symbolize his desire to forget his past- he literally robs "fellow" Heroes of what represents them the most.

That awkward moment when there is no post above yours, haha.

I think your theory about Core Hunter is interesting and could easily be true.

Just got breez, and shes actually not that bad. Surprisingly more feminine in hand than I thought, I like her. Still need to do some mods, but a bit of posing can do a lot for her.

8095244048_73fba82160_z.jpg

Just got breez, and shes actually not that bad. Surprisingly more feminine in hand than I thought, I like her. Still need to do some mods, but a bit of posing can do a lot for her.

Yep, I agree. I've modded mine in several ways-- making her lower legs one module shorter (it kind of reduces ankle posability but makes her ankles seem a little less emaciated in front of a light-colored background), narrowing her shoulders by two modules, shortening the upper arm shells to 3M, shortening the lower arm bones to 5M (which sadly means they can't be white on my Breez) and making her thigh armor symmetrical (which I see you've already done with yours).

Phenomenal photography by the way. Really shows the set in a great light.

Edited by Aanchir

I've given mine wings to carry her blades and used one of the lime "tank" parts from Reapa as a jetpack, attached to a foot on her back.

Ah, Breez is my favorite set of the 2012 lot, just ahead of Stormer and Rocka. Looks great with those shoulder pads and those feet, in any pose you put 'em. Wish the new Breez had em.

I still can't find her on my local Target or Walmart shelves, and last I checked the Toys R Us didn't have her either!

Out of the Breakout sets on my wishlist, Breez ranks pretty high up.

It's a shame we never got to see this Breez in action. It would have been epic.

Beings as though Bulk was the only Hero I didn't have, I sprung and got him. Not bad actually, but not my favorite set from Breakout.

Loving the way his cuffs are attached. Very unique.

Kalhiki

I know! Paint it gold and Bulk's got bling. :laugh:

The 2012 waves have been very helpful in my MOC making. Those squarish shells, used on the shoulder for Bulk and on the upper legs for Core Hunter have proven quite effective, and the purple parts in Voltix are excellent.

Sorry, I mean medium lilac, not purple.

I'm finding all sorts of uses for Stormer's Scout-drones too.. crotch armor, chest decor, ears.. their shape is interesting, and I love working with them.

Here's hoping the next wave proves just as great with useful parts and playability!

Is that a word? Ah well.

I'm glad to hear it!

I wonder how useful the helmets in the next wave will be.. the preliminary pictures make it look like they won't be very much so.. but that's for another thread ;)

I got Hero Factory Secret Mission #2: Legion of Darkness recently. It was very interesting, though not as engaging for me personally as The Doom Box had been.

The story is framed with Furno researching the escaped villains during the Breakout and finding many of them were connected with a mission early in Hero Factory's history that is highly confidential. He asks Bulk what was so important about that mission that Hero Factory has kept it top-secret, and Bulk, figuring it's high time Furno knew, relates the events of the mission to him.

Shortly after the Hero Factory is founded, Alpha 1 Team is formed to take on villains around the galaxy, who have a strong foothold due to the lack of adequate law enforcement. They do a good job capturing villains and housing them on Asteroid J-54 (the Hero Factory prison has not been built yet, and this creates some good continuity since Asteroid J-54 is used as a temporary detainment facility for many villains in The Doom Box while the Hero Factory's prison is still being repaired after the breakout). However, while many villains quickly start to become frightened of this new threat to their business, Black Phantom shows up after falling off the radar for a while and announces his plan to destroy the Hero Factory. Since teamwork is the Heroes' main asset, he plans to create a team of villains called the Legion of Darkness.

Heroes featured in the main story include Thresher, Stormer, Stringer, Bulk, and Von Ness. Their characterization is generally pretty good, although we don't learn much new about their personalities since any character development in this book has already happened by the time we've seen them in other media. We do learn that Von Ness's weapon has gravity powers, which is a brilliant story decision IMO since it ties in so well with both the elemental weapons of the 2010 Hero models and his black hole powers as Von Nebula. If his name were somehow a gravity-related pun we'd be all set.

Villains featured include Voltix, Splitface, Toxic Reapa, Jawblade, Thornraxx, Black Phantom, Speeda Demon, and XT4. Splitface gets some good characterization, but it's rarely clear which of his two "personalities" is speaking, and the two personalities certainly aren't played for comic relief like they were in Breakout. This is a weakness of the story IMO. Voltix didn't get much characterization at all. Thornraxx's way of speaking is hilarious; he has a rather poor grasp of language and is generally treated as the oddball of the group, though his skill at flying plays an important role multiple times in the narrative. Jawblade and Toxic Reapa get good characterization, but other than his penchant for water-related crimes, Jawblade doesn't really stand out in terms of personality. Black Phantom demonstrates a take-charge attitude and skill as a master manipulator that fits well with his previous characterization.

XT4's characterization is a bit bland in some respects, since he's more dronelike than the others and has very little in the way of personality. But what he does get-- which was where I really started to enjoy this book-- is an origin story. He was apparently a worker robot at one of Mr. Makuro's plants (Makuro apparently having been a leader in the manufacturing business since even before Hero Factory). After the newly-formed Legion of Darkness creates a diversion, they steal him from the facility and reprogram him to perform various tasks as part of their grand scheme. The first of these is to impersonate a Hero and join Alpha 1 Team while they are in an area where they have no radio contact with the Hero Factory.

This area happens to be a mining facility populated by mining 'bots, which I see as a missed opportunity. If this were specified to be the already-established mining planet Tallos V, where Preston Stormer met Fire Lord before his initial malfunction, it would have been an excellent piece of continuity.

Overall, while this book didn't start out as strong as The Doom Box, it definitely had me engaged by the end, and it's a great piece of the Hero Factory universe that unquestionably surpasses the TV episodes in many respects. I hope that the future Hero Factory chapter books continue to build on the universe in this way.