kris kelvin

Hero Factory 2012

I don't see it as replacing BIONICLE (HF clearly did that) so much as they're just trying to apply techniques that they saw were successful to a different line and build something new. And, clearly, it worked.

Perhaps, but then why did they go in such a different direction with Hero Factory? Everyone realizes by now that TLC couldn't replicate Bionicle, but at the same time the way Hero Factory has been marketed is so vastly different from its predecessor that I can't say it's a complete replacement. What I think happened is that TLC realized that, especially by the time Bionicle was nearing its end, they were essentially courting two markets. The kids who liked to play with constraction figures were not the same as the kids who liked to play with regular lego sets: one was purely interested in playbility, and the other was more drawn to the creative aspects of lego. Thus, TLC split the core components of Bionicle between it's direct sucessor (Hero Factory) and its spiritual sucessor (Ninjago), and built on both themes from there.

how were you guys putting stuff in the spoilers on page 155.

By adding spoiler tags. To do so, just add in the bold text tags and switch the letter b on both of the tags with the word 'spoiler'. Hopefully that's understandable, as it's the simplest way I can word it. :wink:

Thus, TLC split the core components of Bionicle between it's direct sucessor (Hero Factory) and its spiritual sucessor (Ninjago), and built on both themes from there.

I agree with this last statement.

Perhaps, but then why did they go in such a different direction with Hero Factory? Everyone realizes by now that TLC couldn't replicate Bionicle, but at the same time the way Hero Factory has been marketed is so vastly different from its predecessor that I can't say it's a complete replacement. What I think happened is that TLC realized that, especially by the time Bionicle was nearing its end, they were essentially courting two markets. The kids who liked to play with constraction figures were not the same as the kids who liked to play with regular lego sets: one was purely interested in playbility, and the other was more drawn to the creative aspects of lego. Thus, TLC split the core components of Bionicle between it's direct sucessor (Hero Factory) and its spiritual sucessor (Ninjago), and built on both themes from there.

Because they wanted to do different things as opposed as just rebrading Bionicle?

I think looking at it in terms of sheer succession is kind of limiting. They took stuff that worked and stuff that didn't and applied it in different areas. That's marketing 101 right there. Hero Factory is obviously meant to be more of a spiritual successor because it utilizes a similar building system, is their main focus constraction line, and is branded "from the makers of BIONICLE", but again, that's just the draw. Ninjago just took some of the successful portions of BIONICLE because one of the line developers had some good ideas as to what would work and what wouldn't.

To be fair, it might not be as big a deal as all that, considering that it's possible his victims could be revived if their Hero Cores were returned to them. Granted, he'd still have the same level of dark power as some soul-stealing fantasy villains, but that possibility might be explored as a way of reducing the lasting impact of his crimes.

When you think of it as stealing a physical representation of his victims' souls rather than dismembering them and removing their innards, while he's still terrifying, some of the violent undertones are reduced. But of course some people might prefer the more violent interpretation. I'm just curious how it might be explored in the story, since so far Hero Factory has avoided "death" in most of its media and even the BIONICLE movies approached death more often as noble self-sacrifice than as characters just being one more notch on the weapon, so to speak. Of course, Hero Factory is not constrained by its previously-established tone, and if TLG wants to push the envelope a bit there's nobody really stopping them.

I think as it was noted in the second episode the hero in question would have to have a transplant as they couldn't give back the hero core (hence the body would still be active, but would have a different personality and character).

I think as it was noted in the second episode the hero in question would have to have a transplant as they couldn't give back the hero core (hence the body would still be active, but would have a different personality and character).

But that was if the Hero Core was drained of power, which I'd assume would be different than removing a fully-charged Hero Core and re-inserting it.

2 different subjects are going on....1 about core hunter and what happens to a hero if he removes their core, and 1 about what bionicle's replacement is. I don't really approve these. Leave that to whoever started them.

2 different subjects are going on....1 about core hunter and what happens to a hero if he removes their core, and 1 about what bionicle's replacement is. I don't really approve these. Leave that to whoever started them.

Not everything needs its own different topics. Unless it's OFF-TOPIC (Not related to Hero Factory), everything about Hero Factory should be discussed here.

Not everything needs its own different topics. Unless it's OFF-TOPIC (Not related to Hero Factory), everything about Hero Factory should be discussed here.

Woah! I'm not saying everything needs its own different topics, I'm trying to say that the fact that there is 2 subjects going on is not usual.

Woah! I'm not saying everything needs its own different topics, I'm trying to say that the fact that there is 2 subjects going on is not usual.

And now there's three :)

Besides, what else are we going to talk about? What if one guy wants to speak about core hunter and the other guy wants to speak about HF not being BIONICLE's direct replacement. Make two different topics? Won't that clog the server or something?

Edited by Phantoka_Chirox

And now there's three :)

Besides, what else are we going to talk about? What if one guy wants to speak about core hunter and the other guy wants to speak about HF not being BIONICLE's direct replacement. Make two different topics? Won't that clog the server or something?

....uhhhh....

If people stopped talking about how we're not talking about Hero Factory then we might be able to talk about Hero Factory.

If people stopped talking about how we're not talking about Hero Factory then we might be able to talk about Hero Factory.

yup I agree with you

To get us back on the topic of HF...

In episode 1, I'm pretty sure I saw Witch Doctor leave twice. Is there another big villain in the prison or was it a mistake?

To get us back on the topic of HF...

In episode 1, I'm pretty sure I saw Witch Doctor leave twice. Is there another big villain in the prison or was it a mistake?

dude remember that the animators sometimes use stock models Example: von ness in ordeal of fire

dude remember that the animators sometimes use stock models Example: von ness in ordeal of fire

Hi Fabioman,

I appreciate that English possibly isn't your first language, but please remember to use proper punctuation and keep your post language a bit more (but not too) formal. It just keeps the topics tidier and easier to read. :classic:

Glad to see this topic put itself back on track again. :thumbup:

Hi Fabioman,

I appreciate that English possibly isn't your first language, but please remember to use proper punctuation and keep your post language a bit more (but not too) formal. It just keeps the topics tidier and easier to read. :classic:

Glad to see this topic put itself back on track again. :thumbup:

ok man no problem

I like the show for providing the context for the sets. The sets are definitely works of art, but (for example) a story with just heroes and villains doesn't especially make sense without settings, civilians, etc. Hero Factory FM fulfills this same world-building function, although in a less visual medium.

I guess you could say I like them both equally, since both the sets and other media like the show serve as inspiration for me when I make Hero Factory MOCs.

I like the show for providing the context for the sets. The sets are definitely works of art, but (for example) a story with just heroes and villains doesn't especially make sense without settings, civilians, etc. Hero Factory FM fulfills this same world-building function, although in a less visual medium.

I guess you could say I like them both equally, since both the sets and other media like the show serve as inspiration for me when I make Hero Factory MOCs.

I agree with you. The 2012 line is if course a masterpiece (not even talking about the episode) but there are no lines made without a one silly mistake.

For example, I think Nex could be given a bigger role, than just a mechanic. He has always been my favorite hero, and now he is disgusting. The re-build of his 2.0 mask does not give more coolness, it makes him look miserable.The only one hero i appreciate in the summer wave is Bulk. He is fantastic, the cannon gives him his real role.

By the way, Stormer XL is going to be just a little taller than the other heros.

Well, I like HF mainly for the sets, just like I did for Bionicle and like I do for all Lego themes. I do enjoy the background the story gives however, and I like watching the animated episodes.

Speaking of sets, I noticed that, contrary to what I thought, Speeda Demon DOES have some back armour, in the shape of a silver Bulk 3.0 claw mount (the same exact piece used on Jawblade's back and on Demon himself's shoulders).

I personally really like Nex's helmet- it looked too elongated in the leaked pics we got back a few days before Christmas 2011, but seeing it on the Toyfair pics I realized how close it is to Nex's 2.0 helmet gear, even more so than Evo's new helmet.

In general, I appreciate Breakout Nex for reprising many things Nex 2.0 had introduced that were sadly dropped in Nex 3.0, like the white and the narrow shoulders (I like them for giving off a "geeky" vibe). And that chest printing is so lovely.

I think Stormer XL is going to be pretty tall, actually, mainly for 2 reasons:

1) The torso. He’s most likely going to use the big torso piece FL, Rocka XL, Scorpio and BP use.

2) The legs. The 13 euro heroes use these as upper legs and these as lower legs (which are slightly longer than the upper legs pieces). Consider that Stormer uses those longer pieces both for his upper and lower legs, which would already makes him slightly taller than the average 13 euro hero. But add all those dark bley friction joints (the ones in BP's arms and the Ultrabuild Super Heroes), and the legs end up being way longer.

Speaking of legs, I tried to replace the lower leg bones of my 13 euro heroes with the slightly shorter ones from Stormer 2.0 like Aanchir and others suggested. I must say, the models look MUCH better. Sadly, those bones in my collection are all used up in sets and MOCs/modded sets (well, the black ones at least- but I refuse to use other colours), but I'm definitely going to buy extra pieces off Pick A Brick in order to modify my heroes.

Whoops, I forgot to put the Bricklink links. I'm updating the post with them in a minute.

Edited by Shakar

I know that, but it wasn't spaced very far apart and seemed very odd considering. Von Ness isn't such a surprise as the heroes often sport the same armor as others and it is possible there is more than one hero that looks like him.

1) The torso. He’s most likely going to use the big torso piece FL, Rocka XL, Scorpio and BP use.

I read a post by Front in one of these topics where he told us that Stormer's torso connects like Drilldozer's armor did. He also stated that it would be hard to use on little MOCs, so I assume he meant that it hooks to a torso of this size. Then again, he may have meant that the size is simply too gargantuan to fit on a small MOC. :tongue: