Sign in to follow this  
Ralph_S

Bicycle and rider

I have no idea what forum this is supposed to go into, but town seems fitting despite there not being a minifig involved.

It's a little something I whipped together this morning. It's for one of the monthly build challenges held by LUGNuts, the club for LEGO car enthusiasts. This month's challenge is called Alternate fuels. Rather than some fancy high tech electric car or something powered by, oh, I don't know, unobtanium, my first thought was old-fashioned pedal power -being Dutch and all ;-)

6111255407_f6b8e18e96.jpg

Cyclist (1) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The bicycle was inspired by bicycles used in LEGOland parks, although mine is marginally smaller. I've had a few bicycle models much like this for a few years, but in order to add a cyclist I had to make a few modifications. I also added trans clear wheels, which give a much better impression of a bicycle wheel than solid pulley wheels, and an elastic band representing the bicycle chain.

6111800190_c4ebc13a39.jpg

Cyclist (2) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

Cheers,

Ralph

Excellent build! :laugh: Ingenious use of parts, especially for the rider's feet and the pedals. Great work on incorporating many realistic details into such a small MOC.

For my own part, some of the fun seems to go out of my building experience if no minifigs are involved. That said, this is a superb example of using the right parts and the right angles. A truly great - while still relatively simple - MOC. Well done!

Excellent 'Ralph_S', except the handlebars are little bit short ? :wink:

Overall a great miniland design, Brick On Ride On 'Ralph_S' ! :grin:

Thanks for all the comments. They are much appreciated. Sometimes the small projects are the most fun. I've built plenty of cars in the last few months, but even though this took only about an hour and a half to complete, I'm much happier with this than with my last two cars.

That is fantastic. I have never seen a bike in mini scale before. :wub:

There's a bicycle from a LEGOLand park in the Ultimate LEGO book, but without a rider. I'm sure they have some with riders as well. My bike and figure is a bit smaller though.

For my own part, some of the fun seems to go out of my building experience if no minifigs are involved. That said, this is a superb example of using the right parts and the right angles. A truly great - while still relatively simple - MOC. Well done!

For a long time I didn't build things involving minifigs. I built most of my stuff on a larger scale to enable me to incorporate more working features and details. I have gone back into building minifig scale stuff, but I've also continued to build bigger things such as this one. The minifigs did confirm to me that adding figures is a lot of fun and also is something really appreciated by the public at shows, so I've been building my own larger scale figures as well. I've got this one as well.

4865067103_5d0810e88a.jpg

Dutch Police motorcycle (1) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

Excellent 'Ralph_S', except the handlebars are little bit short ? :wink:

Overall a great miniland design, Brick On Ride On 'Ralph_S' ! :grin:

The handlebars are definitely on the small side. However, all of the alternatives I considered looked far too clunky. Compromises, compromises.

Cheers,

Ralph

The police bike is even better 'Ralph_S', AWESOME work again ! :wink:

I thouight I posted that months ago, but apparently I didn't. I built it a few months ago.

Haha, Oh man... This makes me think of a YTMND fad 'Nigga stole my bike'. :tongue: Nice build btw.

I'm glad you like the model, but that video and the internet meme it's based on are shockingly politically incorrect :oh3:

Cheers,

Ralph

Is it just me, or did anyone else instantly think of Freddie Mercury when they saw this? :grin:

Actually, I thought of Freddy Mercury, or more specifically the Queen song, when building it, even though the rider is not a fat-bottomed girl :laugh:

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

I'm glad you like the model, but that video and the internet meme it's based on are shockingly politically incorrect :oh3:

Cheers,

Ralph

Many YTMNDs range the entire spectrum of what may interest the viewer, from high art to simple entertainment to the political. :sadnew:

Just only noticed the chain on it, that's great!

Edited by -zenn

Many YTMNDs range the entire spectrum of what may interest the viewer, from high art to simple entertainment to the political. :sadnew:

Just only noticed the chain on it, that's great!

The chain was a last-minute modification. It just didn't look right without it and fitting it in was fairly straightforward, once I managed to find the right size elastic band.

As for the video and the meme: I'm sure you didn't intend it to come across as racist and I'm not personally offended. However, I do think that is insensitive. Coincidentally, the reason for my cyclist's skin tone is that I am running low on 1x1 round plates in tan and couldn't find a 2x2 round plate in tan either.

Ralph

Great MOCs 'Ralph_S'. Excellent job on the bike designs. These would definitely fit right in any of the minilands default_classic.gif

Thank you. The miniland models were an obvious inspiration, so this is a big compliment :blush:

Cheers,

Ralph