Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

Ironclad CSS Virginia

thindexedgif.gif 16c

virginia.jpg

Suppose this ironclad would fall into the hands of some pirates ... .

They could really kick some ... and destroy those wooden ships :-).

This is a ship that I build about 15 years ago (and I still have it).

However, the gundeck has been redesigned about 5 years ago.

It is a replica of the confederate ironclad CSS Virginia.

Don't pay to much attention on the colors, the Klingon flag and the Union crew :-/

I had to build it with the bricks I had at the time.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeanmark...ac/pict0104.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeanmark...ac/pict0141.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeanmark...ac/pict0142.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeanmark...ac/pict0143.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeanmark...ac/pict0152.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeanmark...ac/pict0145.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeanmark...ac/pict0147.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeanmark...ac/pict0148.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeanmark...ac/pict0149.jpg

B.

Wow! That's an awesome ironclad you got there. Too bad that it's in red otherwhise it would've been even cooler. I love all the details you put in. Great job!

pict0104.jpg

Its a floating circus tent!

wasn't the visible part of the ship rust red, because it was made of old railroad track..... so the colors may be closer then we think

Ah, bonaparte, you know your stuff! The ship's design is great. I'm loving the interior; it adds a lot to this MOC. I feel sorry for the poor laddies without pillows to sleep on. :-( My only suggestion for future reference is to dust off old displays before photographing them. ;-) Good work, mate!

wasn't the visible part of the ship rust red, because it was made of old railroad track..... so the colors may be closer then we think

You could have a good point here, I haven't actually seen a replica or preserved authentic ironclad before so I don't know what colours they really are. I've gone a quick Google image search and come up with this...

vfiles13644.jpg

Vicksburg, MS : USS Cairo, a Civil War Ironclad that has been restored and is on display at the Vicksburg Military Park

Aside from that there are these...

gunboat.jpg

nav_ironclad_01.jpg

I guess my original pics didn't give the right view of the ship as it would be seen at sea.

That's how the ship looks like when it's at sea:

virginia.jpg

The cannon in front and at the back can be turned.

This is a picure of the real CSS Virginia:

Ch14CSSVirginia.jpg

I guess my original pics didn't give the right view of the ship as it would be seen at sea.

virginia.jpg

Ch14CSSVirginia.jpg

Very interesting, Mr. Bonaparte. I can't help but see a resemblence between the official Sail Barge and the top of the CSS Virginia posted above. Perhaps a rebuild is in order? ;-)

D1416.jpg

Considering the depth the hull sunk into the water, were there any incidents of flooding?

virginia.jpg

Ch14CSSVirginia.jpg

Very interesting, Mr. Bonaparte. I can't help but see a resemblence between the official Sail Barge and the top of the CSS Virginia posted above. Perhaps a rebuild is in order? ;-)

D1416.jpg

Maybe someone with this sail barge could attempt to make an ironclad from this sailbarge. ok so who has a sailbarge?

virginia.jpg

Ch14CSSVirginia.jpg

D1416.jpg

Maybe someone with this sail barge could attempt to make an ironclad from this sailbarge. ok so who has a sailbarge?

I'm going to buy a sail barge because I really like the set (has great pieces and figs) but I don't think I'll sacrifice it to build another ironclad.

I also have build the USS Monitor. Will try to make some pictures soon and put them on the forum.

This is a picture of the real monitor:

H59543.jpg

B.

To me they look as though they could be predecessors of the submarine because they remind me of U Boats.

Aye, very much so.

I'm going to buy a sail barge because I really like the set (has great pieces and figs) but I don't think I'll sacrifice it to build another ironclad.

I also have build the USS Monitor. Will try to make some pictures soon and put them on the forum.

H59543.jpg

Very well, Mr. Bonaparte. I hope someone eventually has the heart to dismantle the set and MOC it. It just goes to show how much of a testimony this set is in terms of design and quality to TLC.

The USS Monitor is certainly interesting, now we just need those MOC pictures...

I don't own the Sail Barge (I saw one in a toy store the other day it is wa rather expensive) so I have no aprehension in saying I'd gladly tear one apart to make a Pirate MOC from it. Or still, I'd take the useful pieces straight from the box and not bother building it into the Sail Barge in the first place!

H59543.jpg

B.

To me this ship looks to be sunk !!

H59543.jpg

B.

To me this ship looks to be sunk !!

That's because 90% of the US Monitor was actually under water.

Since torpedo's where not really effective during the civil war, the ship was quite protected (specially from canons).

Eventualy the monitor did sink in a storm...

I'll try to make some pictures of my MOC soon.

What's happening in your "room" Emperor Bonaparte? Have you constructed more ironclads since the beginning of this thread?

It would be interesting to see the beginnings of ironclads because I imagine the first would be normal tall ships with extra cladding then over time they evolved to what's seen in the pictures in this thread.

Here's a Civilization Ironclad which was where I was first exposed to them...

Here's Bonepart's first Ironclad which started this discussion...

ctp2-Ironclad.gif

pict0104.jpg

What's happening in your "room" Emperor Bonaparte? Have you constructed more ironclads since the beginning of this thread?

It would be interesting to see the beginnings of ironclads because I imagine the first would be normal tall ships with extra cladding then over time they evolved to what's seen in the pictures in this thread.

Here's a Civilization Ironclad which was where I was first exposed to them...

Here's Bonepart's first Ironclad which started this discussion...

ctp2-Ironclad.gif

pict0104.jpg

I didn't construct a new ironclad recently.

I build the CSS Virginia a long time ago.

And I have build the US Monitor about 5-6 years ago.

But I have no good pictures of the US Monitor so I intend to make some soon and create another thread.

But you are right about the fact that a lot of ironclads (especially from the C.S.A.) were originaly normal ships.

The CSS Virginia was a steamer/sailship (US Merrimac) before it was burned by the Yankees.

However, the hull of the ship was undamaged and the Confederates made it into the CSS Virginia.

Since the hull was completely under water, the ship look like this once at sea:

virginia.jpg

Manouvering such a heavy ship (with all the steel) was quite difficult.

Yes, heavy ships would be difficult enough to manouver as it was, however if the bulk of the hull was also submerged that would make it even more difficult.

I don't suppose anyone has come across any pictures of early Ironclads so we can see how they started out?

Yes, heavy ships would be difficult enough to manouver as it was, however if the bulk of the hull was also submerged that would make it even more difficult.

I don't suppose anyone has come across any pictures of early Ironclads so we can see how they started out?

Actually I think the US Monitor and CSS Viginia are the 2 first ironclads.

For sure in the US (and civil war).