Sign in to follow this  
Julandrius

MOC: Oasis MBT

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi

On my prievous tank I got quite a lot of interesting comments. Telling me what I should change to get a more modern look on my tanks. I appreciate all the comments and I did some work on my tank. Basically destroying it completely and starting over again.

Anyways, I present you my newest tank, the Oasis Main Battle Tank.

6092546632_b13e7dfd3f_z.jpg

6092537008_13dbce5ef1_z.jpg

The model has 4 opening hatches for crew. The turret spins 360 degrees. There's a hatch at the back of the model that reveals the engine.

I hope you enjoy it and please leave some C&C if you want me to change things or just tell me your opinion.

Flickr Link:

Oasis MBT

Oasis MBT (BACK)

Thanks Julien

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Mind blowing AWESOME 'Julandrius', what a battle tank ! :excited:

The black gives it an evil tough look, the weapons also look AWESOME too ! :excited:

Brick On 'Julandrius' ! :grin:

Mind blowing AWESOME 'Julandrius', what a battle tank ! :excited:

The black gives it an evil tough look, the weapons also look AWESOME too ! :excited:

Brick On 'Julandrius' ! :grin:

Thanks a lot :D

I appreciate a lot :)

This is looking great, Juliandrus! Since you asked for comments, I will leave a few. These are not the comments of an expert Lego MOCer, since I'm totally not one, but the perspective of a former tank driver. Depending on how realistic you want the tank to look, you may not care about these things. I mean, shiny black is not the most realistic color for a tank, but it definitely looks awesome!

The main gun looks a little bit too short and is lacking the bore evacuator which is a prominent feature on all modern MBTs that I know of. The bore evacuator is a bulge in the barrel, about one third of the way along the barrel. It's an important feature because without it, the crew will eventually choke to death on gases produced every time the gun fires a shell. The bore evacuator makes those gases go forward with the shell instead of back into the turret when the breech is opened. To be honest, I'm not sure what Lego piece would fit in there to make a bore evacuator and not bulge TOO much, but without something there it doesn't look like a true tank gun.

The weapon the tank commander looks like he is firing, which I assume is a coaxial gun, should be much smaller than the main gun. Typically coaxial weapons are 50 cals or 7.62 machine guns. They are tiny compared to the main gun. The other machine guns in the loader and commander positions would be 7.62s as well. You would probably need something about the thickness of an antenna piece to make them roughly to scale with the main gun.

I'd like to see smoke launchers on the turret, but not all MBTs have them and I'm not sure how you could implement them without a major rebuild of the turret. But as a tank guy, I know I love to have some smoke on demand. Binocular pieces would make good smoke launchers - I'm just not sure how you would mount them.

All in all, it's a great-looking model. It's a real evolution from the first version, which I also liked.

This is looking great, Juliandrus! Since you asked for comments, I will leave a few. These are not the comments of an expert Lego MOCer, since I'm totally not one, but the perspective of a former tank driver.

It's really appreciated that you left all these. I prefer comments saying how I can improve it then no comments at all. I can't really improve without any help can I? All the things you said make sense. But since I'm not the kind of person that actually drives these I have to admit I had rather little to no backgroundinformation. I kind of built this just how I thought it should look. I'll try to pay attention to the things you've noted.

And I do realise black is the most inaccurate color for a tank, well, pink and blue not included :P

But I had quite a lot of black tiles laying around so I gave it a try.

I might try to make a real tank now, but I don't know which one. An M1A2 Abrams is quite overused isn't it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Julien

I'm always happy to see more tank models! I agree that the M-1 is way overused. It's also, in my opinion, one of the uglier tanks out there. I've always liked the looks of the German Leopard, and several of the later Soviet/Russian tanks are incredibly mean-looking (T-80 and T-90 especially). But this will always be my favorite tank in all the world:

800px-Merkava-mkII-pic0019.jpg

This is a Merkava Mk. IIc temporarily equipped with a minerolling system. I drove one of these, a long time ago. It's not the most current tank with the hottest armor, but to me it pretty much represents the apex of "I am going to ANNIHILATE you" tank design. Very fast, very agile tank with a really interesting turret for modeling. One of these days I might take a stab at it myself.

But this will always be my favorite tank in all the world:

Edit by Rufus: Please don't quote pictures if you can avoid it!

This is a Merkava Mk. IIc temporarily equipped with a minerolling system. I drove one of these, a long time ago. It's not the most current tank with the hottest armor, but to me it pretty much represents the apex of "I am going to ANNIHILATE you" tank design. Very fast, very agile tank with a really interesting turret for modeling. One of these days I might take a stab at it myself.

flash12753_Challenge%20accepted.png

Edited by Rufus

That is one bad megablocks looking tank, awesome job! I'm still amazed by the complexity on the models that get posted here. Definitely one of the nicest tanks I've seen here. Again, awesome job!

That is one bad megablocks looking tank, awesome job! I'm still amazed by the complexity on the models that get posted here. Definitely one of the nicest tanks I've seen here. Again, awesome job!

Megablocks? :s

And thanks man :D

Julandrius this certainly is an improvement over your last tank which in itself wasn't half bad. I can understand why you chose to work with black, in particular the use of the minifigure stands really stands out to me as it gives the tank both a smooth look and detailed look. I'm not sold on the turret I think it's to tall and boxy looking. I think reducing it's height and adding some extra details in a colour other than black might help. For example you could have some supplies or an RPG cage around the turret.

bar_armour.jpg

Keep up the great work :sweet:

I was thinking of making a stryker. Not sure though since school started again. If I do I might add some RPGcages.

Thanks for the critism.