Sign in to follow this  
Captain Graeme

74 gun ship "Calypso"

I'm new to the forum so I thought I would start off by posting some pictures of my current WP.

I've been building different LEGO ships since I was a kid, but this time I decided to make an extra effort to make this the most detailed, realistic ship I have made to date. I've been working on it for about a month now and am just about done with the main ship design. At this point I'm really just waiting for some pieces to get here to get on with building the masts and all the rigging.

The Calypso has 76 guns between three decks, and uses 9 standard hull middle sections. Sadly I only have 4 of the 9 needed at this point so the rest is made up with brick and plates.

post-20049-131440163253.jpg

post-20049-131440163818.jpg

post-20049-131440164317.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do for masts, sails, and rigging. I'm planning on using a combination on circular bricks and original LEGO mast pieces for the masts, with string rigging and cloth sails. I usually just make it up as I go so we'll see how it turns out.

Looks good so far. I'm very interested to see the finished product. I like the choice of colors, too many brown ships out there.

The other pics are not public yet.

Your BS folder isn't public yet. I pretty much want to see a close up of all of it. My eyes hurt for detail. I like where you are going with this so far. May I recomend a skeleton crew with bandanas and POTC sword holsters?

Awesome, I named one of my ships Calypso as well a while ago but it was nothing as cool as this ship, very nice, I hope you finish it soon.

looks good so far. I think with more bricks, hull pieces and some tidying up of loose parts and ends Calypso will turn out excellent. The size and purported number of guns alone is worth waiting!

Here are the brickshelf pictures. Sorry about the wait.

bcu.jpg

qdcu.jpg

qddcu.jpg

scu.jpg

tcu.jpg

I will be sure to take some more once she is a bit further on. I made a bit of progress on the masts and rigging today, sorting out the overall mast design and some of the shrouds. Should come together pretty quick once I get the parts.

My BL order came in yesterday so I was finally ready to start working on my masts and rigging.

So far I have the masts done as well as most of the standing rigging. I need to add ratlines to the Port side and a few other details before I move on to the beams and sails. I changed the side walls on the upper gun decks a bit as well as I didn't like the protrusions from the sides where the ladders come through the deck. This made the swivel gun decks more flowing as well as added the space to mount 4 more swivels.

Here she is from the side. I still need to find 5 more mid sections for the hull.

side.jpg

Here is a look at the front of the bow.

bow.jpg

Next is a view of the top of the bow castle. This deck has 4 swivel guns along with two large chase guns that have a 90 degree swivel.

bowgundeck.jpg

This is the midsection of the ship, showing the doors leading to the lower gun decks and inside to the cabin.

mid.jpg

A side view of the stern of the ship. The rear cabin does have an interior but I have yet to get a decent picture of it.

stern.jpg

Last is a view looking down onto the ship so you can get an idea of the overall layout of the decks.

top.jpg

Looking good, I love the black and white colourscheme, it makes it look like a ghost ship or those old shipmodels made out of bone

Bart