Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#3: The Missing Matriarch

"I guess I'll use my potion on myself then. I say we find the children first, for I'd rather make sure they're safe than find the voice."

Yes I agree with checking the Nursery first, we keep being told to think of the wretched brats darling children. I also think it would be wise to check the Master Bedroom last, as it seems to be the source of the purple light and we wouldn't want to miss out on any wanton destruction, now would we? :wink:

Oh, and before I forget, let's apportion the spoils from our last battle. It's possible we might get some more Tonics at some point, so I'll give these non-magical items to non-Mages and hope it all evens out in the end. So, Bacari gets the fire bomb, and Sylph and Cronk get a bone each. Sound OK?

Good. Let's go! :grin:

Party:

sig.jpg

Althior Emorith
(played by K-nut)

Level 4 Mage

Power
: 7

Health
: 8/8

Ether
: 6/8

Gold
: 5

Inventory
: Dragoro (WP: 3) ,Topaz (Lightning), Amethyst (Darkness), Aquamarine (Water), Sapphire (Wind), Grand Tonic, Bedroll

6040477366_1cbdd80346_t.jpg

Cronk
(played by CorneliusMurdock)

Level 4 Knight

Power

Health
: 13/13

Gold
: 0

Inventory
: Longsword (WP: 3), Shield (SP: 2), 2 Potions, Remedy, Bedroll, Bone

herocia.png

Signor Bacari
(played by Capt.JohnPaul)

Level 4 Ranger

Power

Health
: 9/9

Gold
:2

Inventory
: Crossbow (WP: 3), Potion, Tonic, Fire Bomb, Bedroll

ava-namyrra.jpg

Namyrra Uq
(played by Quarryman)

Level 4 Mage

Power

Health
: 6/8

Ether
: 5/8

Gold
: 10

Inventory
: Bone-staff (WP: 3), Amethyst (Darkness), Ruby (Fire), Garnet (Earth), Opal (Ice), Potion, Tonic

5909627714_af21b5c29f_t.jpg

Nyx
(played by Pandora)

Level 9 Mage (Party Leader)

Power
: 13

Health
: 11/13

Ether
: 11/13

Gold
: 17

Inventory
: Dawnstar II (WP: 4), Ruby (Fire), Amethyst (Darkness), Topaz (Lightning), Emerald (Wood), Diamond (Light), 2 Potions, Remedy, 2 Tonics, Bedroll, 2 Bones

ava-sylph.jpg

Sylph Solanum
(played by Dannylonglegs)

Level 4 Cleric

Power

Health
: 12/12

Ether
: 7/8

Gold
: 0

Inventory
: Staff (WP: 3), Potion, Tonic, Remedy, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Bone

"Ay! I wonder if I can still use my potion on myself even thought it gives back ten health? I'm really bad at fighting. :laugh: "

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but all you need do is ask, and as long as you're insured, I'll heal you up. Same goes for everyone. I'm altruistic that way. So yes. To the nursery. I'm sure we'll find something to bash there. And Nyx, thanks for giving me a bone. It's most kind of you.

Edited by Dannylonglegs

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but all you need do is ask, and as long as you're insured, I'll heal you up. Same goes for everyone.

Cronk not sure if Cronk insured. Where Cleric Sylph suggest Cronk take out such a policy? Cronk could use good dental plan, too. :laugh:

Cronk want to hurry and save children. If only hallway were shorter. If some evil is trying to hurt children, Cronk will bash it!

Cronk not sure if Cronk insured. Where Cleric Sylph suggest Cronk take out such a policy? Cronk could use good dental plan, too. :laugh:

Cronk want to hurry and save children. If only hallway were shorter. If some evil is trying to hurt children, Cronk will bash it!

"I agree, Cronk. I'm already down half a cloak size! :laugh: "

When the party arrives to the nursery, they find Altair, Mabel and Goldraum at the door. Goldraum is consoling his crying wife, and Altair is pulling his hair with a troubled look on his face.

"What am I going to tell Beth? Our poor children..." Altair mumbles.

The party opens the door, and are immediately showered by toys thrown at them. The family nanny is screaming her lungs out at the middle of the room, while four running teddy bears break havoc to the place. It looks like the Ziegfried children have been afflicted by the curse as well.

heroicaquest3-nursery.jpg

The party draws their weapons, getting prepared to fight the raucous plush bears, but the nanny stops them.

"Don't you dare raise your weapons to these poor children! They might be cursed, but there must be another way to reverse the spell besides hacking them to pieces."

The group of heroes looks puzzled. What should they do?

"Don't you dare raise your weapons to these poor children! They might be cursed, but there must be another way to reverse the spell besides hacking them to pieces."

Well, we hacked everyone else to pieces and they turned out just fine. :sceptic: Sheesh, this is what you get for thinking of the children... :hmpf_bad:

Hmm, can we try to rearrange the beds to match the tiles on the floor? It's not a particularly magical solution, but I sense that the Ziegfrieds would get a bit miffed if we cast spells at their kids...

Hmm, can we try to rearrange the beds to match the tiles on the floor? It's not a particularly magical solution, but I sense that the Ziegfrieds would get a bit miffed if we cast spells at their kids...

The nanny tuts.

"This room is in enough of a turmoil as it is, without you lot coming to move the furniture around. The beds and the floor tiles are exactly where they always have been. Maybe you should try something more... caring?"

Oh. My. God. :oh:

We have to care as well now?

Well, I'll start by singing a soothing lullaby, having been blessed with a sweet singing voice, and if that doesn't work I'll have to move on to hugging them or something. :sick:

Just don't ask me to hide the look of disgust on my face if I do.

"Hmm, well I guess we could sing to them. Could we have them drink a potion or something? I doubt it. Or could we get the tiles out of the floor to match the beds? I'm not sure the Ziegfrieds would like us tearing apart their nursery. I guess we could also inspect the bed's and see if any of them are Zed. But if we do have to sing to them, I guess I'd try that."

Nyx and Althior proceed to sing the teddy bears an off-key lullaby.

"Little bears, little bears

Why don't you just calm the ef down

We are getting quite pissed

For having to care for kids!"

But that horrid tune just makes the devilish bears run in circles even more. Althior then goes on to investigate the beds.

heroicaquest3-nurserybeds1.jpg

"These are the beds of the two children of High Conjurator Altair and General Sourceress Beth", the nanny explains. "Merlyn is the oldest of the four cousins, while sweet little Morgan is the youngest. That's her kitten Fireball on the bed there."

heroicaquest3-nurserybeds2.jpg

"Lilly and Bluto are the children of Vice Warlocker Goldraum and Secondary Spiritist Mabel. If you want to know more about the children, just ask away."

The transformed children continue to cause a racket in the nursery.

Nyx and Althior proceed to sing the teddy bears an off-key lullaby.

You know, I'm sure I mentioned my sweet singing voice... :hmpf_bad:

Anyway, nanny, you have experience in calming these dear sweet angels down, is there anything you would suggest?

A hot cup of cocoa? A bedtime story? :sweet:

Would they like to play a game, maybe? Do they have favourite toys, or would they like to see a magic trick? :sweet:

Nyx is still trying to decide whether the children would find it entertaining or not to see the kitten vaporised.

Anyway, nanny, you have experience in calming these dear sweet angels down, is there anything you would suggest?

A hot cup of cocoa? A bedtime story? :sweet:

The frustrated nanny rolls her eyes.

"Well, I do know that it is futile to sing lullabies and read bedtime stories if the kids are running amoc. Do you expect them to just fall asleep where they stand?"

Do we look like any of us know anything about kids? I'm not sure Cronk even knows where they come from.

Right. Everyone grab a kid to stop them causing more trouble, and maybe we'll work out which bed to put them into.

"Do you expect them to just fall asleep where they stand?"

"Uhm," Althior searches his pockets for some instant sleeping powder or something like that. "Is there a certain story they's want to read? Or should I tell them one of mine?"

"Fine Nyx, but I want the orange one!"

Fine, I'll pick up a bear and put it in its corresponding bed.

If that doesn't work, nothing will except.... Bacari fingers his crossbow..

The nanny nods with a hint of approval.

"Now you are getting somewhere. The problem is, which teddy bear goes to which bed? I did not see the children change, so I can't say which bear is which child. And I'm certain they will not calm down in a wrong bed. Furthermore, I don't think anyone of them will calm down until they are all in their own beds."

So the party needs to tuck each teddy bear into a correct bed. How will they do that?

If that doesn't work, nothing will except.... Bacari fingers his crossbow..

"No, No, NO! You can't expect your crossbow to get you out of any situation! It makes others scared out of their wits. Trust me, I was at the other end of it once. :laugh: And besides, shooting children? There has to be some way to free them of this curse."

"I guess we could try trial and error. If so, I'll try tucking the orange kid into the yellow bed."

Edited by K-nut

The nanny nods with a hint of approval.

"Now you are getting somewhere. The problem is, which teddy bear goes to which bed? I did not see the children change, so I can't say which bear is which child. And I'm certain they will not calm down in a wrong bed. Furthermore, I don't think anyone of them will calm down until they are all in their own beds."

So the party needs to tuck each teddy bear into a correct bed. How will they do that?

Well it would make sense to me that the colours are relevant. So let's try a combination and see what happens:

Pink teddy into Lilly's bed.

Dark blue teddy into Merlyn's bed.

Light blue teddy into Morgan's bed.

Orange teddy into Bluto's bed.

Does that work?

Pink teddy into Lilly's bed.

Dark blue teddy into Merlyn's bed.

Light blue teddy into Morgan's bed.

Orange teddy into Bluto's bed.

Does that work?

The party arranges the teddy bears in that order, but nothing happens. The cursed children just bounce up again and continue to run around the nursery. Maybe the party should ask a little more about the children?

"Well that didn't work. Is there any reason that Morgan named her kitten fireball?"

"Well that didn't work. Is there any reason that Morgan named her kitten fireball?"

The nanny smiles.

"Morgan has always loved animals, especially cats. But she also comes from a long line of wizards, so giving the kitten a name like Fireball is not surprising."

"Hmm, I thought Fireball could be a clue to that Morgan is Orange, you know because fire = orange. Do you know the children's favorite colors? That could hint at something maybe."