Toa_Of_Justice

MOC: IP-2012 Icebird

This is an Ice Planet spaceplane capable of reaching Mach 9. It features retractable landing gear, an opening cockpit, storage compartment, and engine compartment, as well as moveable thrusters.

Basically, I really wanted to build something using the Ice Planet 2002 color scheme, but since 2012 is right around the corner, I consider my MOC to be from an evolution of the Ice Planet theme as if it were coming back in 2012 (which I don't think it is, but I can dream, right? :tongue: ). That and the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird inspired the name of my MOC.

Click on any picture to enlarge it.

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

07.png

08.png

09.png

10.png

11.png

< LXF File - Brickshelf Gallery >

Thanks for looking! :grin:

-Toa Of Justice

Nice!

Digg'n the 2002 theme. And the variable thrusters and landing gear are nicely done.

Nice ship, I think Ice Planet were my favourite 'Good' space range. It would be nice to see them back again.

As a side, why were they called Ice Planet 2002 when they were out in 1993/94, anyone know?

Wow this looks great!!! The way the wings are shaped is just art. My only complain is it looks too much like a plane...

Nice ship, I think Ice Planet were my favourite 'Good' space range. It would be nice to see them back again.

As a side, why were they called Ice Planet 2002 when they were out in 1993/94, anyone know?

That was because that was when the theme took place (almost like a prediction of what 2002 is gonna be like) but we now all know that we never found an ice planet yet. It was also like that with Dino 2010.

Good ship.

2002 can be interpreted as the number of Ice Planet in a planet catalog of the future.

Thanks, everyone! :angel_sing:

Wow this looks great!!! The way the wings are shaped is just art. My only complain is it looks too much like a plane...

I originally wanted to build a fighter jet, but since I also wanted to build something using the Ice Planet color scheme, I decided to make my MOC a spaceplane--that is, an airplane capable of flying through air and space.

-Toa Of Justice

A friend of mine suggested that I recolor the missiles and cockpit to trans-blue rather than trans-orange, so I did. Unfortunately, it no longer fits the Ice Planet color scheme, but I think it still looks good.

12.png

^click to enlarge^

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

Very cool creation! (Pun intended :tongue: )

To tell you the truth, I like the trans-orange version better.

I like the design very much. Here's a few suggestions: -Since it's a fast spaceplane, it might be good to put some tiles instead of those plates, to give it a more sleek look. -Somehow, the middle part seems too long, in my opinion. Don't know how this could be addressed without losing sleekness. -I think that legs don't look so good on the minifig. Perhaps the new spaceman's legs could look better. :wink:

Anyways, it's very good! I like it. Thanks for sharing!

That's an interesting creation you've got there and I agree with johnnyvgoode that the orange cockpit looked better than the trans blue one.

The ship in general looks really good, the shapes fit and I wouldn't say the body is too long, either. Shortening it would make the wings too large in comparison, so you managed to find a great solution for it to look as good as it does.

What I don't like is how it feels more like a bomber or fighter and I don't know if this really fits with the more or less civilian role of Ice Planet :sceptic:

And isn't Mach 9 a tad bit slow for a ship designed to travel space? Without some sort of hyperspace-module it'd take thousands of years to travel between the planets :wink:

I think that overall the trans-blue one looks better - however it then dosn't really look like a spacecraft and looks far more like a futuristic Earth fighter jet.

Despite the minimal colour changes, the trans-orange one looks a lot more futuristic and space worthy - and fits in far better with an Ice Planet theme.

Thanks, all of you! :classic:

Very cool creation! (Pun intended :tongue: )

To tell you the truth, I like the trans-orange version better.

I like the design very much. Here's a few suggestions: -Since it's a fast spaceplane, it might be good to put some tiles instead of those plates, to give it a more sleek look. -Somehow, the middle part seems too long, in my opinion. Don't know how this could be addressed without losing sleekness. -I think that legs don't look so good on the minifig. Perhaps the new spaceman's legs could look better. :wink:

Anyways, it's very good! I like it. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome. :sweet: I thought about using SNOT slopes instead of wing plates (which would have taken care of the studs), but then my wings would've had jagged edges (due to how the slopes would've connected with each other). I'm not sure which legs you're talking about, nor am I sure they're available in LDD. Could you please provide a picture? Thanks in advance.

That's an interesting creation you've got there and I agree with johnnyvgoode that the orange cockpit looked better than the trans blue one.

The ship in general looks really good, the shapes fit and I wouldn't say the body is too long, either. Shortening it would make the wings too large in comparison, so you managed to find a great solution for it to look as good as it does.

What I don't like is how it feels more like a bomber or fighter and I don't know if this really fits with the more or less civilian role of Ice Planet :sceptic:

And isn't Mach 9 a tad bit slow for a ship designed to travel space? Without some sort of hyperspace-module it'd take thousands of years to travel between the planets :wink:

I'm glad you're pleased with my wing/body ratio solution. :classic: I see what you mean by my model being out of the civilian role, given that most of the models in the theme don't seem to have weaponry. I'll say that the engine compartment contains a hyperspace module--it looks like it does to me. Mach 9 is the Icebird's top speed from the thrusters.

I think that overall the trans-blue one looks better - however it then dosn't really look like a spacecraft and looks far more like a futuristic Earth fighter jet.

Despite the minimal colour changes, the trans-orange one looks a lot more futuristic and space worthy - and fits in far better with an Ice Planet theme.

I agree with you and the others about the color scheme. Personally, I prefer the trans-orange one, but I'm glad to see that someone else likes the trans-blue one. :classic: I wonder if any other color scheme would look good on the Icebird...

As for the fighter jet appearance, I agree with you. As I said before...

I originally wanted to build a fighter jet, but since I also wanted to build something using the Ice Planet color scheme, I decided to make my MOC a spaceplane--that is, an airplane capable of flying through air and space.

-Toa Of Justice

You're welcome. :sweet: I thought about using SNOT slopes instead of wing plates (which would have taken care of the studs), but then my wings would've had jagged edges (due to how the slopes would've connected with each other). I'm not sure which legs you're talking about, nor am I sure they're available in LDD. Could you please provide a picture? Thanks in advance.

Perhaps the middle part could use some plates, and you could leave the wings as they are. Just a suggestion :classic:

And I meant the series 1 spaceman's legs. (these)

Cheers!

Perhaps the middle part could use some plates, and you could leave the wings as they are. Just a suggestion :classic:

And I meant the series 1 spaceman's legs. (these)

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the middle part. :thumbup: Where exactly should I put the plates on the middle part, and what kinds (e.g., small, large, wing) of plates would you like me to use?

Thankfully, the legs you suggested are available in LDD, so I used them, but kept the colors of the parts the same to stay within the Ice Planet minifig color scheme.

Click the picture below to enlarge it.

newpilot.png

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the middle part. :thumbup: Where exactly should I put the plates on the middle part, and what kinds (e.g., small, large, wing) of plates would you like me to use?

Thankfully, the legs you suggested are available in LDD, so I used them, but kept the colors of the parts the same to stay within the Ice Planet minifig color scheme.

Click the picture below to enlarge it.

newpilot.png

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

Those legs look pretty good, actually!

I think that you could use these to substitute some of the plates and have a more studless feel in the middle part. Unfortunately those are the biggest tiles that you can use for this model, but still they could look good. But of course it's your creation, and you should make it only if you like the look of it. :classic:

Those legs look pretty good, actually!

I think that you could use these to substitute some of the plates and have a more studless feel in the middle part. Unfortunately those are the biggest tiles that you can use for this model, but still they could look good. But of course it's your creation, and you should make it only if you like the look of it. :classic:

Thank you. :sweet: How's this?

Click the image below to enlarge it.

newtiles.png

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice