Sandy

Heroica RPG - Heroica Hall

39 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"There have been quests where little or no reward was involved. These quests, from what I have seen have gained the most wholehearted attention from Heroica. I remember once there was a quest where a little girl offered 1 coin per hero who came. I have never seen the hall clear out so quickly. From what I hear, no one actually accepted the money from the girl at the end. I believe many heroes are ready to give to their own hurt, but they have yet to find a cause worth pouring their all into. It's true that there are times when we serve money, and I think in those times when people can afford to pay, there is nothing wrong with us accepting. Of course, when we compromise our values for gain...well...that is a problem."

"There are always exceptions to the rules, but it doesn't seem like there is an ear here to listen.  Wasted words," Hoke says as he decides to enjoy his meal.

On 6/8/2017 at 10:20 AM, Zepher said:

He winks at Hoke while also sizing up his weapons. Spending a year reading and drinking had done little for Boomingham's fighting prowess and he feels weak in front of the Paragon.

Hoke pokes Lawrence out of his 'meditations.'

"Order a meal.  Eat up.  Afterwards, you and I will head out of the city for a bit.  I know of a good place to train.  You can only read so many books.  Mayhaps it's time to pick up your steel again."

2 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"There have been quests where little or no reward was involved. These quests, from what I have seen have gained the most wholehearted attention from Heroica. I remember once there was a quest where a little girl offered 1 coin per hero who came. I have never seen the hall clear out so quickly. From what I hear, no one actually accepted the money from the girl at the end. I believe many heroes are ready to give to their own hurt, but they have yet to find a cause worth pouring their all into. It's true that there are times when we serve money, and I think in those times when people can afford to pay, there is nothing wrong with us accepting. Of course, when we compromise our values for gain...well...that is a problem."

"Hear hear."

"The problem is that the more we tell ourselves we're mercenaries, the more like that we will become and the less likely we will be to respond to situations that need our help when no monetary gain is involved. Furthermore, it is not as if we are restricted to living in these walls. There is much good that can be done without our being asked. Complaining about a problem doesn't change it."

4 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"The problem is that the more we tell ourselves we're mercenaries, the more like that we will become and the less likely we will be to respond to situations that need our help when no monetary gain is involved. Furthermore, it is not as if we are restricted to living in these walls. There is much good that can be done without our being asked. Complaining about a problem doesn't change it."

"No," Hoke says after swallowing a bite,"Either you're not listening, or you're not listening: it's about being honest with yourself.  I'm not saying the Hall is or ever was packed with soulless killers and thugs.  We're hired weapons for sure though.  Name a single quest anyone in Heroica has been on that didn't involved steel or spell or at least the underlying threat there of.  There is no shame in being paid for what we do.  But you to say you are simply and purely here out of the goodness of your heart," Hoke scoffs as he takes another bite,"Well, prove it," he says dismissively with a wave of his fork,"There are plenty of people throughout this world without sword or armor or ethereal powers who do good."  

"Perhaps I am missing something...Are you saying that such people are heroes and we are not? Our hall is structured the way it is because it enables willing hands to be placed together to overcome problems that single good deed doers would not be able to handle. I guess it depends on how you define a hero. To me, we are heroes so long as we stick to the noble principals this organization was built on. It's when we stop caring who is asking for our help, but just being willing to support the highest bidder that we stop being heroes and start moving into the full-fledged sell-sword category."

23 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"Perhaps I am missing something...Are you saying that such people are heroes and we are not? Our hall is structured the way it is because it enables willing hands to be placed together to overcome problems that single good deed doers would not be able to handle. I guess it depends on how you define a hero. To me, we are heroes so long as we stick to the noble principals this organization was built on. It's when we stop caring who is asking for our help, but just being willing to support the highest bidder that we stop being heroes and start moving into the full-fledged sell-sword category."

"I'm say we are who we are: no more, no less.  I am who I am, and you are who you are.  We don't need titles or this Hall to do the things we do.  Whether it's for the good, gold, or glory, if, in the end, it's for the good, what does it matter?"

Hoke drained the rest of his mug with a deep gulp and pushed it towards the keep for a refill.

"Hoke Ablesword.  I believe I've seen you around but never caught your name." he asks, extending his hand,"But you seem familiar..."

Edited by UsernameMDM

On June 20, 2017 at 10:00 PM, UsernameMDM said:

"Well met there Annienal.  Yes, there is all of that too.  Maybe it's just the quests I've chosen; maybe it's fate.  But time and time again, I've ventured out only for the story to change when I get there: I go to make peace, only to be in the middle of a war, petty lords squabbling over their pride, dealing with demons, or a little girl..."Hoke catches himiself and clears his throat,"Yes, many times things are not what they seem." 

"Well, um, I suppose in order for one to get to a state of peace, one is already at war. I'll admit, I've dealt with my share of lords with petty, self centred interests, but I find more often than not the people worth helping, those who cannot do so without our help, make the work we do worth while. At least, I hope so..." Annienal responds. Her mind had not thought about Wally and Ervie in a while. His lack of activity worried her, but perhaps Wally had decided to throw in the towel and did not wish to pursue his agenda, something she hoped was the case. She remember what Avina told her, about Heroica being full of naive idealists who were afraid of getting their hands dirty. She wondered what good she had done, and where fate would lead her next. She knew her destination, but she figured it'd be awhile before she reached it.

5 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Well, um, I suppose in order for one to get to a state of peace, one is already at war. I'll admit, I've dealt with my share of lords with petty, self centred interests, but I find more often than not the people worth helping, those who cannot do so without our help, make the work we do worth while. At least, I hope so..."

"It's all worthwhile if we make it so."

15 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

"I'm say we are who we are: no more, no less.  I am who I am, and you are who you are.  We don't need titles or this Hall to do the things we do.  Whether it's for the good, gold, or glory, if, in the end, it's for the good, what does it matter?"

Hoke drained the rest of his mug with a deep gulp and pushed it towards the keep for a refill.

"Hoke Ablesword.  I believe I've seen you around but never caught your name." he asks, extending his hand,"But you seem familiar..."

"I suppose..." I reply hesitantly to Hoke's first comment. "I have to say, I am not sure whether the title came first or the organization." I trail off until Hoke extends his hand. I grasp it firmly. "Prezel. Monk Pretzel. I do believe we have quested together once...but I cannot recall where...Ah, I think it was that time when we had to solve the case with the mummies. Funny quest, that one."

Just now, Palathadric said:

"I suppose..." I reply hesitantly to Hoke's first comment. "I have to say, I am not sure whether the title came first or the organization." I trail off until Hoke extends his hand. I grasp it firmly. "Prezel. Monk Pretzel. I do believe we have quested together once...but I cannot recall where...Ah, I think it was that time when we had to solve the case with the mummies. Funny quest, that one."

Hoke and slaps the bar and laughs.

"Yes!  My what a strange a quick ordeal that was.  What a crew too!"

"I suppose few quests made me feel more like a sellsword than that one."

Just now, Palathadric said:

"I suppose few quests made me feel more like a sellsword than that one."

"See what I mean," Hoke says with a wink and a chuckle.

JeauxEnters.jpg

The door of the hall opens as a wooden man pushes through it.  There's a small, high-pitched squeak of metal hinges with every step he takes as he approaches the bar before taking a seat.  He looks around the room to take in his surroundings.  It's been a long time since he set foot in this hall, and much has changed.  Though for all its differences, it is still the Hall of Heroica and the one place he might call home.

I wave at the new character entering the hall, not from friendship, but just wondering if the eyeless figure can actually see my signal.

Jeaux sees a man across the hall wave.  It had been a while, but the man had a familiar air to him.  Jeaux walled across the hall to greet him.  "Sir Pretzel, is that you?  It has been a while, how has Olegaia treated you?"

Edited by joeshmoe554

"Well enough, I suppose." I respond mechanically. "You have not been around these parts for sometime I'll wager."

"A little over 2 years in fact.  My last quest was a good distance from here, and I missed the boat back.  The return trip took much longer without magic to assist."

Edited by joeshmoe554

33 minutes ago, joeshmoe554 said:

"A little over 2 years in fact.  My last quest was a good distance from here, and I missed the boat back.  The return trip took much longer without magic to assist."

I laugh.

"You missed the boat? How did that happen? I heard many stories in my time here, but of this sort. A hero missing his boat ride? Ha, ha! Where were you? You must have quite enjoyed the place."

"I was searching for some valuable items possessed by our adversary.  They held a certain level of importance to me, so I requested to stay behind rather than return with the rest of our party.  Sadly, I was unable to recover anything and made my way off the island a few days later."

Edited by joeshmoe554

"Yes, those who pursue wealth are often left disappointed." I say philosophically.

"Wise words.  I have discovered over the last couple years it is far better to appreciate what you have than always desire what you do not."

Edited by joeshmoe554

1 hour ago, joeshmoe554 said:

"Wise words.  I have discovered over the last couple years it is far better to appreciate what you have than always desire what you do not."

Torald, not meaning to eavesdrop, can't help but hear those wise words. Couldn't agree more. Part of the reason I left my clan was because they were all so materialistic. I think coming here has changed me for the better. 

"I don't believe we have met.  My name is Jeaux and you might be?"  Jeaux says, extending a hand in friendship to the young hairy man.

Just now, joeshmoe554 said:

"I don't believe we have met.  My name is Jeaux and you might be?"  Jeaux says, extending a hand in friendship to the young hairy man.

Torald shakes the hand. My name is Torald Waruelf. Don't think I've seen you around here, and I've been here for a while now. Must have been busy?