Sandy

Heroica RPG - Heroica Hall

Nessa returns from her thoughts to the reality by all that hastle in the hall. "Where is everyone?" she askes herself. By a look on the quest board she realized that she had been choosen to go on this quest #55. Together with the dwarf! Maybe she gets the possibility to reveal the truth about her lost family-keepsake. By that she heads over to the marketplace.

Nyx lurches into consciousness, a most unwelcome feeling. Not too many drinks it seems... must have been all the travelling that wore her out. At least she'd been awake enough to do her shopping beforehand. The usual chatter in the hall had settled to a low murmuring, peppered with occasional snores, and a few gripes from still-healing battle wounds. She looks around; Boomingham had gone, Atramor was unsurprisingly drinking rum, and a few other people were around but her eyes were refusing to focus just yet. She gets to her feet, and manages to do so steadily and somewhat gracefully. She didn't knock anything over or fall down, at least. She smooths down her robes, takes a deep breath and decides to examine the questboard. A few short strides and she's across the room. There are two notices, both with names attached, and as her vision clears the first thing she sees is the name 'Poletad'. She blinks, rubs her eyes and re-reads the petition on the board, keen to not miss a detail.

Felton, Hans and Poletad are coming here?! And Wren is coming too? To Eubric? This is insane.... and Wren is bringing 'people'... Her mind wanders temporarily. The more she looks, the notice doesn't go away; it's true, it's real. Poletad, such a dear frog. And possibly....

She grabs a quill from a nearby nightstand and signs her name for Quest #53, drawing on all her inner resolve to keep her hand steady as she does so. She's breathing deeply, her heart is racing. Suddenly the room is overpowering and she has to leave, to walk and think. She walks as quickly as she can to the doors, resisting the urge to break into a run, and almost throws herself outside, gasping lungfuls of fresh, cold air. She heads out into her city, to be in it once more and amongst her people, before the threat arrives and potentially changes it forever.

As Drake closed the extremely long book he had been reading for 5 pages and a half, he heard doves flapping and an extremely annoying voice, accompanied by an extremely extremely stupid song playing in the background. He turned around to see nothing, and Drake then decided to go out and get fresh air. And sleep.

Current Quest 53 Sign-Ups

Hoke (UsernameMDM)

Atramor (CallMePie)

Arthur (Flipz)

Skrall (WBD)

Thothwick (Prof. Flitwick)

Nyx (Pandora)

IC: De'kra returned to the hall, having left shortly after the recent temporal anomaly. There was a heaviness in his walk, as well as in his drooping head. Looking about he spotted Arthur, and clicked, "Greetings Nuparu, I assume you will be go on that Wren quest?" His voice was hard to read, but he seemed worried about something.

"So, please do tell, what is behind the lives of you three gentlemen, so that we may discuss what is in front of them."

"Well, I..."

IC: De'kra returned to the hall, having left shortly after the recent temporal anomaly. There was a heaviness in his walk, as well as in his drooping head. Looking about he spotted Arthur, and clicked, "Greetings Nuparu, I assume you will be go on that Wren quest?" His voice was hard to read, but he seemed worried about something.

"Yes, I..." Arthur paused, seeing everyone looking on. He closes his eyes for a moment, and forces himself to speak. "My tale is one of dark portent, that will challenge the thoughts you may have...about me, about the universe, about everything. It is not a tale I would tell lightly, nor one I would wish to tell while unprepared, especially on the eve of such pressing crisis." Arthur nods to the Quest board. "If you truly wish to know the story of my past, then it shall be shared with you when I return." Arthur gets up off an exceptionally opulent (if somewhat stained) chaise lounge chair and heads for the Marketplace.

-----

A few moments after Arthur leaves, a green-hatted figure enters the Hall.

CarolineMystic_A.jpg

"Hello, Heroes, I just wanted to stop by and wish you all a merry...um..." *looks at card* "...Grogmas." She pauses, the Heroes staring at her awkwardly. She pulls out a red envelope with fancy white trim and hands it to Thothwick. "Um, right, so anyway, I just wanted to leave something with you for Artie, be a dear and make sure he gets it, OK, Mr. Metasimian? OK, thanks, bye-bye now!" Caroline waltzes meanderingly to the door does a little ballerina twirl once she's outside it, and in a sudden burst of wrathful rage slams it savagely shut.

Edited by Flipz

IC: De'kra watches as Arthur leaves suddenly, just before the woman with similar taste in hats enters. After she leaves he clicks to the Metasimian. "Many things about Eubric are still strange to I, but that was...just plain freaky?"

OOC: this reminds me, I should begin a holiday tradition of watching all of Raven's saga.

Edited by Tanma

"After she leaves he clicks to the Metasimian. "Many things about Eubric are still strange to I, but that was...just plain freaky?"

"Oh, my petite friend, most things humans do can be described as 'freaky'!" Thothwick chortled, looking down at the envelope.

"Artie? Artie? There can be one name that can only be decreased into Artie."

"Anybody here ever come across a hero by the name of Artemis?", holding the envelope aloft.

Edited by Professor Flitwick

Arthur walks back into the Hall, oblivious to Caroline's previous entrance. "Well, I am prepared as I shall ever be. Now," he says, looking at Thothwick, "Are you sure you want to hear this? Truths, once spoken, cannot be un-heard."

​Thothwick, taken aback by the severity and dourness of the Mages question, and not being totally sure he was being addressed, replied tentatively.

"Um... I suppose so."

IC: De'kra tried not to be too obvious that he also was curious as to what Arthur had to say, always interested in knowledge.

Cronk is back!

Wren is in Eubric?! Cronk cannot stand idly by and let witch bring city down. Cronk signs up for Quest 53.

But now Cronk has some preparations to make.

Alexis wanders into the hall, thinking. She notice that she has another chance to meet Wren, and she puts her name down for Quest #53. Then she wanders off to a division of the hall...

Thormanil takes a break from staring into space long enough to see a party returning to the Hall and rushing right back to the quest board. He recognized them as those who had set out for the Temple of Ennoc some time ago. There was no sight of Haldor yet, though. Thormanil hoped the Nord wouldn't slip by unnoticed, as he had a few items the shaman might be interested in. In case Haldor decided to rejoin his crew before taking off again, Thorm decided to wait with them. He sidled up next to the orc.

"Well hey there, greenie. Friend of Haldor's, right?"

Johnny Everyman steps outside the Hall, rolling a cigarette and popping it between his lips lazily. He glances up at the sky and marvels at the clouds as he lights a match which in turn lights his cigarette. He huffs and puffs happily for a few seconds, glancing into his pocket, looking at the drawstring bag full of gold he had stolen from some silly looking U'Kin. He had ducked into the hall to avoid detection, but apparently the City Watch has more things on it's mind. Johnny walks a few paces from the Hall, considering departing for his next personal adventure, when a bird swoops by and lands in his hand. He lifts it to eye level. There is a note tied nicely to its leg. Johnny Everyman unties it and shoos the bird. He unfurls the note and reads. Nearby, a few heroes congregate. He glances over at them.

"Come on in, you may want to read this."

Everyman marches into the hall. His cigarette is flicked from his mouth casually and he crushes it underfoot. Below the Quest 53 sign ups, he tacks another note.

HEROES!!! We are mere hours away from Eubric! I think I can already see on the horizon, though Felton assures me we are too far away! Hans is taking a nap... HEROES! Prepare yourselves! We will meet you in the morning! Wren will be upon the city in approximately a week, if the information McColt gathered is correct! We must help the city prepare defenses! Everyman, tell them all to come. Felton says we will need everyone. -Sir Poletad, Frog Paladin, Wren Hunter, Friend of Heroica.

If you signed up for Quest 53, or do before the quest begins tomorrow/tonight (depending on where you live), you are selected. Prepare yourselves. (Currently, those heroes include Skrall, Hoke, Arthur, Nyx, Thothwick, Atramor, Cronk, and Alexis).

Atramor ambles over to the Everyguy fellow, narrowing his eyes at the notice underneath the sign-ups for Quest 53, though his mind was elsewhere. He gave a distracted nod to half the heroes who'd signed up. It surprised him how many people he'd come to know over the course of the past year or so. How many allies and enemies he'd made, both here in Eubric and in distant countries. Thoughts from his somewhat recent trip to the library bubbled up in his mind, while McCafferey sniffed over at his table.

"Hard to believe how close her end is," he mumbled to everyone in the general vicinity. "Funny that one way or another this mess is gettin' sorted out within a week..." he paused, took a thoughtful sip of rum, and raised his voice a bit more. "Mates...I think we gotta have a bit of a talk. I ain't one for plannin' things in advance, but....just to be entirely clear, since I know how much this zealot loves to screw with people's heads, and I know how.....humane a lotta ya' like to be....."

"....We are going to kill her, right? No reasonin', no talkin' it out...no mercy, aye?"

He raised his eyebrows, at both his future party and himself. Rarely did he do this sort of thing, but hell if she was allowed to escape again...he didn't know most of these peoples' history with Wren, but he knew some of these heroes well enough to think they might try to find another way to end it - a way he didn't believe existed.

Alexis drags herself back into the hall, after visiting the Training Room. She notices that she was picked for Quest #53, but doesn't really register the fact. Alexis, plunks down the 128 gold she owes Benji, confident that he'll find it. and picks up her sapphire, orders a wine and then sits at a table to think. (342-128=214)

​Thothwick, taken aback by the severity and dourness of the Mages question, and not being totally sure he was being addressed, replied tentatively.

"Um... I suppose so."

IC: De'kra tried not to be too obvious that he also was curious as to what Arthur had to say, always interested in knowledge.

Arthur nods. "Very well. I--" Just as he begins to speak, he is overcome by a wave of dissiness and nausea, and is forced to sit down. His eyes grow unfocused, and he appears unable to see anything in front of him. "F-father...?!" stammers the befuddled Sorcerer. Suddenly, he reaches in front of him, then draws back with a cry of horror.

"Father?! Wha--? Who are you?!?" Arthur's hand strays toward his blade. "Why have you brought me here? What is your purpose?? I demand answers!"

The Sorcerer's face begins to cloud with what appears to be soot, and he begins sweating profusely as the edges of his clothes and hat singe slightly. He spins round, his eyes darting back and forth in terror, as if surrounded, and then he begins speaking into thin air once more.

"The Zeigfrieds?" Arthur's singed brow furrowed in thought. "What gift do you speak of? And how do you know of my homeland?"

Silence. And then...

"Father..." Arthur calls out mournfully, like a child. He hung his head in sorrow, his shoulders heaving. His eyes brimming with the tears he tried so desperately to hold back, Arthur jerks his head up. "Let me speak to him. Let me speak to him, and maybe I won't match my power against yours." They were brave words, but backed by fear and desperation, instead of true strength.

Just then, a change falls over Arthur. His posture straightens, his skin clears, and he overall seems to be radiating power. Seeming to--at least partially--see the Heroes of the Hall once again, he solemnly reaches up...and removes his hat. He speaks again, his voice imbued with deadly seriousness. "When I was a child, my father, the Tur'gaa or 'leader' of my village and noted planewalker, vanished without a trace. I had held for many years that he was alive, but stranded on some distant plane...and I suppose that, in a way, I was right."

"My father meant the world to me. He wasn't around much, but I knew he was off doing important things for our family, for our people, for the world. When my friends and I accidentally released Bio Beasts, monstrous creatures of machine, flesh, and Chaos, from the Temple of Zoot, he was the only person I even thought about telling, because I knew he could do something."

"A year or two after that, I found out--in the worst possible way--that he had been seduced by the foul Zeigfried witch Valentine, who was stealing the arcane knowledge and research my father had prepared for her own profit. A few months later, he disappeared--no, died--I find it likely to be at her hand. I was left alone, and my mother was forced to join the Guard to make ends meet. With Father gone, the noble families began to rule jointly once more, and jointly they systematically persecuted my family. Only Captain Spar'kell, his son Vaygas (one of my best childhood friends) and my other best friend Caroline Kootenai remained steadfastly by my side. As we reached the age of apprenticeship and Vaygas followed in the footsteps of his father, Caroline convinced her uncle Coe to allow me to work in the mines--not as menial a job as it is to most peoples, as we mined not for gold but for elements of arcane power, but still a step down from my father's craft and station. As time passed, Caroline and I grew closer, and we became lovers. When my Etherial powers began to come in, she was the only one I confided in--a grievous error on my part."

"You see, Caroline was a traitor--she had been cheating on me for the last year of our relationship, possibly longer, and had returned to the path of Chaos we had all sworn to disavow after that fateful day as children when we had broken into the Temple and nearly destroyed our homeland. She summoned a new Bio Beast, one that went on a rampage and slew three Guardsmen, including Vaygas' father. When I realized what she had done, I confronted her, and threatened to turn her in to the Elders. She...got there first, betraying the secret of my Etherial magic, and casting me as the manipulator of Chaos. Vaygas, now leader of the Guard, lead the noble families in exiling me, sending me to wander the world until I met my fate."

"For two years I wandered Olegaia, until I finally came to Eubric. Here I found new purpose, and I thought I could put my past behind me and start anew--but it was not meant to be. Even on my first Quest, I came into contact with strange forces beyond those that would be faced by an ordinary mage, and then in Dastan, I came into contact once more with the forces of Chaos, through Wren. Unable to suppress my heritage of Chaos any longer, I began to study her, her past, her present, even her possible fate. It was only when I embraced the Chaos that I found myself, that I found my place on the path so winding. Accepting my destiny in Chaos, I took part in my Quest to Haddon, where my secrets were revealed to the other Heroes, and to McColt, and the similarities between my path and that of Wren were not unnoticed. It was then that I saw my fate: to spread the knowledge of Chaos in this world, to help people live in harmony with this primal force that suffuses all existence. There is a beauty to Chaos, and until people can see it, the Chaos will devour their lives. Only through accepting the Chaotic nature of existence, through setting and seeking their Beacons in the Gray, can they live in true harmony with the universe. But this is no guarantee of goodness, for one must also live in harmony with others; the Lady accepts her nature and seeks her own beacon, but she desires the beauty of Chaos for only herself; she cares not for the strivings of lesser beings, and lives in harmony with none but herself. At once I saw the necessity of her existence, and the inevitability--no, the necessity-- of her fall."

"But I returned from this epiphany to more pain. Caroline appeared in Eubric--with the daughter that proved her infidelity. Vaygas, too, still holding the bitter belief that I had murdered his father. In part to avoid stagnation--but really more to escape the woman's endless pestering--I left on my most recent Quest, to aid the Ji Pei. There I met a man called Jules, a former devotee of Helvetia who had renounced his cult but accepted and embraced his past. Jules is, by far, one of the most honest, principled, and generally good people I have met in Eubric--and few in this wretched hive may be truthfully called "good." He, and I, are living proof that a darker path need not be one of evil, but that it may be proved a force for what is good in this world."

Arthur turns his gaze into space once more, and his eyes no longer focus on the Heroes. "Of course, my specific past is likely of little interest to you, creature of Ether, but you clearly know of my people's past. A tribe of Chaos of ancient antiquity, the plague of Bio Beasts sparked our interest in planewalking and of the technology of other worlds. Several generations ago, however, my people turned from their ways and shunned Zoot, relying instead upon the science they still serve today. The Temple of Zoot was sealed and its entrance lost, until Vaygas, Caroline and I rediscovered it as children. We each took a single artifact of Chaos from that ancient vault, she a Zoot's Plaything, he a Staff of Chaos, and I...I a Tome of Chaos, akin to that book other races know as the Pandemonicon. When we released a Bio Beast, we destroyed our artifacts, but the knowledge of that tome remained seared upon my brain, burned forever in mind. I could not forget--cannot forget--will never forget the secrets of power I learned. You see, Regret, I am born of Chaos, bound to Chaos, bequeathed to Chaos. I have power that you cannot imagine to taste, beyond anything you have or will ever know. Now, as I just said: let me speak to my father, and maybe I won't match my power against yours."

A wave of power erupts within Arthur, and he begins hurling mighty spells at an unseen foe. Notably, though the battle raged all round the Hall, not a single blast struck anything but its target, and the bolts vanished without sign of damage--while across the Hall, a minute number of stray energy bolts of unknown origin began to sear the walls here and there, with no apparent source--they were certainly no match to the energies of the Sorcerer, nor indeed of any foe yet faced by those of the Hall. The keenest-eared Heroes could hear similar din somewhere in the distance--but where, it would be impossible to determine.

An unknown force pins Arthur to the wall, his feet dangling above the floor, and the Sorcerer clutches at his throat. His head suddenly slams back against the stone, and he collapses to the floor. Arthur forces himself to his feet for one last tirade. "You cannot defeat me, for Order is but the Chaos of Chaos. And Chaos is the universe. None can oppose me, unlesss they first oppose themselves. You cannot defeat me. Wren...Regret...there is a third "R" in Eubric. Regulus...it shall conquer both." His strength fades, and he falls, but just as a few onlookers rush to aid him, he rises of his own volition. He shakes his head to clear it, drained but otherwise unharmed. "Now..." he says, "...where were we?"

Apologies for not giving anyone a chance to respond, but...

EDIT:

Just then, Arthur's attention fell on a small object left on a nearby table...one that bore his name.

Edited by Flipz

Alexis drags herself back into the hall, after visiting the Training Room. She notices that she was picked for Quest #53, but doesn't really register the fact. Alexis, plunks down the 128 gold she owes Benji, confident that he'll find it. and picks up her sapphire, orders a wine and then sits at a table to think. (342-128=214)

Thinking that he had been pickpocketed, Benji turns around with a growl and lashes out his bow. He sees Alexis and relaxes with a sigh. He sits down at Alexis's table. "Hey there Alexi. Thanks for the gold, and I see you already took the gem. How's it going?"

"So, the answer is, you don't know this 'Artemis'?" asked a rather ticked off Thothwick, whose animosity dissipated upon seeing the heroes drift off. He turned to Hoptet.

"It's time."

"Wren?"

"Wren."

"May Orang Pendek guide you there, and our love guide you back."

Thothwick joined the other heroes on the way to their Quest.

Haldor sidled back into the warmest place that he knew, his thoughts full of guilt and things left untold. He placed himself at an empty table and waited for events to unfold. Over his shoulder, he saw the former shaman and loose friend Thormanil approaching.

"Yes, you have something for me?"

After a brief conversation and exchange of goods, Haldor is left with a brand new opal and a Scroll of Sealing, at the price of 150 gold.

Edited by Scorpiox

Hoke looks up from checking his gear and polishing his sword and shield. He see Johnny Everyman tack a note onto the board which seems to cause quite a commotion. Seems like Wren is on her way.

As Haldor was strolling around the hall, mug of beer in hand, he couldn't help but glance at the questboard for anything of note. His blood froze and his full tankard clattered to the ground loudly, as the nord's eyes managed to distinguish the words 'Eubric' and 'Wren'. No, it couldn't be true. She couldn't be in Eubric, it isn't possible, is it. Noticing that the quest had only departed recently, Haldor knew that he would have just enough time to catch them up if he was quick. But first, he had to prepare...

Extracting the heavy armour plating that he had bought earlier from an iron chest, Haldor knew that he couldn't face the witch unprotected and in his current state. The nord found himself a loose red shirt; comfortable, but light enough for these long southern days. He pulled on the shirt and quickly fastened up his steel armour, painfully aware of how little time he had to get going. And for additional protection, Haldor retrieved his Ethereal Cloak from a satchel and wrapped it around his neck. As one final touch, the norseman put on a thick pair of studded leather chaps, in case Wren was guarded by hordes of extremely short dwarves.

Just as he was on his way to gather items at the marketplace, Haldor noticed a familiar throbbing by his right leg. The plaything was awake again, but there was no time for fiddling with such strange objects. But it would not stop, writhing around in his pocket like a livid snake; there was one thing for it. The shaman angrily reached for and grasped the sifting and now squelling piercingly orb, and held it up to a light.

"What are you, hmm? What do you want from me? This whole time you've been nothing but an annoyance, and where I'm going, the last thing I'll need is a little ball of nothingness tugging at my shirts. Come on, damn you, do something! Go on, show me what you can do."

At these last words, the plaything's squak rose into a deafening hum, ringing the ears mercilessly of any man within a mile. The vibrations grew more eratic, until visible shapes could be seen to form in the surface of Zoot's orb. The plaything seemed to split up into two clear sections, one shiny and metallic, the other dull and grey. The dull section grew longer still, and became thick and wooden to the touch. The other part was soon angular and pointed, drawing blood to Haldor's finger as he reached to inspect it. Like a blade. Within minutes the orb had changed beyond recognition. It now resembled a long spar of wood-like material, topped with a sideways facing curved blade; and axe, lying on the table.

It felt like an old friend in the nord's grasp, light and flexible, moving as though it was guiding his arm rather than being just a weapon. So this was the Zoot's Plaything.

"Perfect. Such a short time ago you were an ugly and insolent impossibility, now quite the opposite. You're going to need a name, I feel. 'Zoot er Isen', in my mother tongue, it mean's 'Zoot's Ice', which is what you will become. Now, we had better go test you out."

pict0550.jpg

Zoot er Isen (War Axe, WP:14)

Making my way against the flow of a number of heroes leaving the Hall to confront Lady Wren, I climb the stairs to Scheherazade's Saloon. With a cup of tea in my hand, I walk over to Thormanil.

"Well, Master Nihai, that little trip to pass the time took longer than I expected. :laugh:

"I don't think we've actually spoken in a long time and I have no idea what you've been doing, but I get an, uh, gut feeling that you have something for me."

I hand Thormanil my Frozen Saber in exchange for a Scroll of Armor Sundering and 200 Gold.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Benji at a nearby table.

"Ah, Master Carvenhall. I hear you're putting together a party to head to the Fields of Glory, and I'm interested in being a part of it. Oh, and I have these for you:"

I give Benji my Quiver of Poisoning and Mockthril Longbow for his Cobweb Cowl.

Dyric entered the hall a changed man. He felt ready for action, the likes of which he had not seen in a long time. As he listened to the buzz of conversation he heard bits and pieces here and there. One name kept coming back. One name continuously echoed in Dyric's skull.

.For added effect, please listen to the link provided

Dyric felt the comforting warmth of his chain whip and grinned. His old nemesis had yet again reared her head. She would be the perfect target for his first strike. When they last met, he was but the exiled rogue. But he was now the Assassin of Heroica. This time, things would be different. Very.

Something was wrong though, and it didn't take long to figure out what. They were gone. The party was gone. Yet Dyric grinned. Sometimes, fate could not be stopped. He sprinted out the door of the Hall, heading for the direction the party headed. With his newly honed tracking skills, he followed the group over hills and plains, determined to locate them and stop Wren once and for all.