Sandy

Heroica RPG - Heroica Hall

2 hours ago, Zepher said:

"My man!" rasps Bobby. "How's it hanging? Like I was just telling this lil' chica here I'm looking to get back in the game. Seems like a good time too." He loses focus for a second and wanders over to the quest board, signing up for Quest #158. He jerks back over to the heroes and snaps his head up, as if he hadn't left at all. He tries to smile. "Gotta get going again. Been a bit down in the dumps, you dig, ain't been having no luck with them ladies or any dudes at all for that matter, know what I mean, getting a bit lonely with only the family to tick the clock with. Lonely was never good for me but it's real bad now, with..."

It hangs well my bro.  vindsval continues to stumble over Bobby's language, though he speaks the common tongue the dialect is so foreign as to be a different one entirely.  You have changed a great deal my friend.  The mask is compelling, to say the least of it.  How come you by it?  Perhaps your ladies find it off-putting.   If you fear the solitude then sit and stay, I welcome your company and council.   I contemplate a change as well.  And I would welcome the opinion of you and Annie, for you have been as close to family as I have know.  

On June 10, 2017 at 0:12 PM, Asphalt said:

Annie, it would seem that Tridentia is once again in need.  It would do me well to see how young Luke has grown since my last visit.  Shall you join me?

Vindsval Signs up for Quest 158.

"I, um, don't see why not?"

Annienal signs up for Quest 158.

6 hours ago, Zepher said:

"Oh, you know, little bit of this, little bit of that." Bobby's eyes glaze over. "Had to take some time to chill out with the family, you know. Celebrate a birthday and all that shiz. Been a pretty tight time but I think I gotta go do some new adventuring you dig?"

Annienal was still unsettled by Bobby's new look, but nodded her head confusedly. "Um... I, um, do?" Bobby's lingo was still simply the worst possible thing imaginable, but Annienal nodded her head, hoping he'd simply focus on Vindsval. Did she dig? She wasn't digging, nor was she anywhere near a place to do such a thing.

4 hours ago, Asphalt said:

It hangs well my bro.  vindsval continues to stumble over Bobby's language, though he speaks the common tongue the dialect is so foreign as to be a different one entirely.  You have changed a great deal my friend.  The mask is compelling, to say the least of it.  How come you by it?  Perhaps your ladies find it off-putting.   If you fear the solitude then sit and stay, I welcome your company and council.   I contemplate a change as well.  And I would welcome the opinion of you and Annie, for you have been as close to family as I have know.  

"Please, um, do not start speaking like Bobby, Vindsval, or I will dissolve our friendship." Annienal stated, dead serious.

On 6/12/2017 at 4:10 PM, Zepher said:

"That's exactly the trouble." Boomingham casts his eyes around the Hall. "I spent a good number of years making all sorts of new friends. But where have they gone?"

Hoke looks at his drink for a moment, swirling it slowly around his mug.

"I don't know," he says, "I just don't know."

Hoke lifts the mug to his lips takes another drink, and sets the mug back down.

Matthias notices the new King, Boomingham, talking to Hoke, though he can't quite overhear their conversation. The gnome watches sadness cross their faces and looks into his own drink, wondering what will become of them all.

On 6/12/2017 at 11:57 PM, Kintobor said:

"I, um, don't see why not?"

Annienal signs up for Quest 158.

Annienal was still unsettled by Bobby's new look, but nodded her head confusedly. "Um... I, um, do?" Bobby's lingo was still simply the worst possible thing imaginable, but Annienal nodded her head, hoping he'd simply focus on Vindsval. Did she dig? She wasn't digging, nor was she anywhere near a place to do such a thing.

"Please, um, do not start speaking like Bobby, Vindsval, or I will dissolve our friendship." Annienal stated, dead serious.

Vindsval starts to smile at annie till he sees the look in her eye, then chokes it back.  Yes Annie, Understood.

The deadline for the island to choose its champions draws near.  I think I must go visit the Copper Fox, and make a decision.  He flips the Wanderer's Medalion, like a small man would flip a coin.  I will return soon, I hope.

Vindsval returns to the hall, newly minted as a Vindicator.   He presses the seal into the clasp of his cloak, binding it there for all to see.  He then uses the Bright Polish on his Stealth Suit.  Increasing its defensiveness slightly.

The parchment for Quest #158 glowed momentarily. Then, four of the names disappeared, leaving five chosen heroes.

Chosen Heroes for Quest #158 Color Me Shocked
Vinsdval Level 38 Vindicator *Party Leader*
Peteldan Level 12 Knight
Addok-Zo Level 1 Ranger
Ezeran Level 21.67 Sorceror
Matthias Level 29 2.3 Druid

I'll have the quest thread up tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to everyone who signed up, sorry I couldn't fit everyone though.

Well, Ezeran, Peteldan, good luck on your quest. I'll be here, keeping your chairs free. He walks to the bar and orders more ale. 

"I do believe so. Let me just check my inventory and ensure that it's all in order. We'll miss you, Torald."

Matthias notes his name on the glowing parchment and heads to the marketplace.

Vindsval eat's his Zoot's cookie, mentally choosing for it to add to his POWER, and then leaves for the docks.

Goodbye everyone, it would seem I am off once more to the shores of Tridentia.

Annienal waved goodbye to Vindval, hoping he'd make a speedy and sage return.

3 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

"Quiet again," Hoke notices as he takes another drink and orders some food.

"Is, um, that a problem?" Annienal asks. "I mean, personally, I like it somewhat quieter, but I suppose it simply means people are out doing what they came here to do."

2 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Annienal waved goodbye to Vindval, hoping he'd make a speedy and sage return.

"Is, um, that a problem?" Annienal asks. "I mean, personally, I like it somewhat quieter, but I suppose it simply means people are out doing what they came here to do."

Hoke looks at the elf for a second...

"My friend and I were just discussing the Hall from when we first arrived.  It was never quiet," Hoke pauses for a second,"I am wondering if we went out and did what we came to do a little too well."  

37 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

"My friend and I were just discussing the Hall from when we first arrived.  It was never quiet," Hoke pauses for a second,"I am wondering if we went out and did what we came to do a little too well."  

"What, saving lives? Helping people? How can you do that too well? I say if people don't need us that's a good thing, it means there's less wrong with the world."

17 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

"What, saving lives? Helping people? How can you do that too well? I say if people don't need us that's a good thing, it means there's less wrong with the world."

Hoke turns to the seemingly perturbed dwarf.

"I didn't say it was a bad thing."

1 hour ago, UsernameMDM said:

"Well, I at least hope you managed to leave a good impact on the world." Annienal replies. "Part of me wonders what would happen on the day the world no longer needs Heroica, or heroes. Would I be happy that I no longer needed to put down injustices, or sorrowful at the fact that it means all this is over?" She shrugs her shoulders. "I suppose time will tell."

23 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"Well, I at least hope you managed to leave a good impact on the world." Annienal replies. "Part of me wonders what would happen on the day the world no longer needs Heroica, or heroes. Would I be happy that I no longer needed to put down injustices, or sorrowful at the fact that it means all this is over?" She shrugs her shoulders. "I suppose time will tell."

Hoke looks at the elf again, looking over her face, her eyes.

He chuckles, scoffs almost.

"I'm still amazed that everyone who comes through those doors would think that every time they exit those same doors it's to be set to some righteous and virtuous task," he says flatly, unaccusingly, even chuckling at his own previous naivety,"Still, it's a nice sentiment to hold, hoping that what you are doing is for some greater good, out of the very own goodness of your heart."

Hoke takes another drink and a bite off the meat of his delivered food.  He chews for a bit, looking forward and then swallows, turning back to the elf.  

"Sure, it's a nice sentiment, but most of the time it's a lie.  If we really wanted to do goodness, we wouldn't expect the reward: the gold, the gems, the artefacts.  No, although we may do some good, we are not do-gooders.  We are mercenaries.  And there's nothing wrong with that."  

He breathes sharply into his nostrils, clearing his thoughts.

"But, we have done some good.  Some," he says, nodding his head.

"Hoke Ablesword by-the-by.  I don't believe we have ever met, formally," he says, extending his hand to the elf.

Edited by UsernameMDM

26 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

"If we really wanted to do goodness, we wouldn't expect the reward: the gold, the gems, the artefacts."

"I do not entirely disagree with you, but how much of the greater acts of good would we be able to have done without them. I certainly don't deny that Heroica has it's greedy members, but one cannot deny either that this very city that we sit it would not be still standing if heroes had not defended it multiple times from enemies that others never even noticed. We could not have done that without the tools of our trade."

9 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"I do not entirely disagree with you, but how much of the greater acts of good would we be able to have done without them. I certainly don't deny that Heroica has it's greedy members, but one cannot deny either that this very city that we sit it would not be still standing if heroes had not defended it multiple times from enemies that others never even noticed. We could not have done that without the tools of our trade."

"But would you have done them to begin with, purely to do good?  Would you have risked all without the mention of a reward?  And what are we risking?  How few of us, if any of us, has fallen, never to rise again?"

Hoke takes another bite and another drink, actually glad to have the conversation.

"Neither is wrong if you ask me.  I've heard it once said that 'If you're good at something, never do it for free.' It is not wrong to know your worth."

3 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

Hoke looks at the elf again, looking over her face, her eyes.

He chuckles, scoffs almost.

"I'm still amazed that everyone who comes through those doors would think that every time they exit those same doors it's to be set to some righteous and virtuous task," he says flatly, unaccusingly, even chuckling at his own previous naivety,"Still, it's a nice sentiment to hold, hoping that what you are doing is for some greater good, out of the very own goodness of your heart."

Hoke takes another drink and a bite off the meat of his delivered food.  He chews for a bit, looking forward and then swallows, turning back to the elf.  

"Sure, it's a nice sentiment, but most of the time it's a lie.  If we really wanted to do goodness, we wouldn't expect the reward: the gold, the gems, the artefacts.  No, although we may do some good, we are not do-gooders.  We are mercenaries.  And there's nothing wrong with that."  

He breathes sharply into his nostrils, clearing his thoughts.

"But, we have done some good.  Some," he says, nodding his head.

"Hoke Ablesword by-the-by.  I don't believe we have ever met, formally," he says, extending his hand to the elf.

"As a member of this hall, you have a choice to go on whichever quest you wish to go on. That's not being a mercenary if you ask me. That's simply deciding where you want to be most useful. You assume that wealth and power are the only things one gains while adventuring." Annienal replies, giving her own opinion on being a member of Heroica. "I'd consider meeting some of the people in this hall a reward. I'd, um, also consider meeting certain people in this hall to not be worth coming here, but I do so anyways because good company's hard to, um, find."

"I don't believe we have formally met. My name's, um, Annienal Anavir, at your service." Annienal shakes Hoke's hand, taking her gauntlets off before she does so. 

29 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"As a member of this hall, you have a choice to go on whichever quest you wish to go on. That's not being a mercenary if you ask me. That's simply deciding where you want to be most useful. You assume that wealth and power are the only things one gains while adventuring." Annienal replies, giving her own opinion on being a member of Heroica. "I'd consider meeting some of the people in this hall a reward. I'd, um, also consider meeting certain people in this hall to not be worth coming here, but I do so anyways because good company's hard to, um, find."

"Well met there Annienal.  Yes, there is all of that too.  Maybe it's just the quests I've chosen; maybe it's fate.  But time and time again, I've ventured out only for the story to change when I get there: I go to make peace, only to be in the middle of a war, petty lords squabbling over their pride, dealing with demons, or a little girl..."Hoke catches himiself and clears his throat,"Yes, many times things are not what they seem." 

Torald partly listens to his former party member rambling on about the why of questing. Only partly, because he is tired and thirsty. Torald thought back to the times in the far north, in the unnamed regions far away from here. It was cold, harsh, hardly anything to eat. Only the strongest survived. He used to protect the weak, only to see them perish nonetheless. Growing tired of that, Torald traveled south, and came across Eubric and the Hall. He could finally protect again, this time not in fain. That was his purpose, his cause. Torald doesn't let the motives of others get in his way to help the weak.  
With that thought, Torald fell asleep, satisfied to remember his cause.

19 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

"But would you have done them to begin with, purely to do good?  Would you have risked all without the mention of a reward?  And what are we risking?  How few of us, if any of us, has fallen, never to rise again?"

Hoke takes another bite and another drink, actually glad to have the conversation.

"Neither is wrong if you ask me.  I've heard it once said that 'If you're good at something, never do it for free.' It is not wrong to know your worth."

"There have been quests where little or no reward was involved. These quests, from what I have seen have gained the most wholehearted attention from Heroica. I remember once there was a quest where a little girl offered 1 coin per hero who came. I have never seen the hall clear out so quickly. From what I hear, no one actually accepted the money from the girl at the end. I believe many heroes are ready to give to their own hurt, but they have yet to find a cause worth pouring their all into. It's true that there are times when we serve money, and I think in those times when people can afford to pay, there is nothing wrong with us accepting. Of course, when we compromise our values for gain...well...that is a problem."