Sandy

Heroica RPG - Heroica Hall

15 hours ago, MysticModulus said:

"This is a shadow of Petaldan, not a mere beast or a demon but a reflection of his soul cast in an earthly apparition. Now he can only be stopped by magic. Good luck"

With a deep snarling sound coming from the reflections mouth the reflection of Petaldan threw itself against Torald. What would the battle mage do to stop it?

I give a little cry as the shadow launches itself at Torald. "But why would I ever want to attack Torald?"

8 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"On that note, what makes you believe that heroes in this hall have not succumbed to power? I mean, I guess my goal is lofty and more out there than most, but there are heroes here who have fought dragons, demons- even, um, gods. They must be powerful to do such things. To criticize me for something you deem to be me trying to assail power when others do so far more fragrantly is, in my opinion, short sighted." Annienal waits for Pretzel's response, her tone more inquisitive than critical. 

"I guess what I mean is that when men, let me take heroes for example, become powerful, it's usually a very slow and gradual process. Look at the most powerful heroes in the hall now. They didn't become powerhouses over night. It was a slow, arduous process. The process is of becoming great is by not means a foolproof method of weeding out the corrupt ones, but it does do a job of removing many of them. Furthermore, it enables those around them to see the road that power is leading them on and preempt too great problems from arising, at least in theory. However, turning one's self into a beast is a far less gradual process, at least physically. No one can really know how it will be for you just when that moment of power hits.

"Moreover, in order to become a beast, no matter how great a beast it is, requires, in a sense, tapping into the baser part of human nature. When the moment of truth comes, there's no telling whether it will take complete control or not."

On 6/4/2017 at 7:16 PM, UsernameMDM said:

Hoke accepts the drink, and laughs.

"A king?  Twice now?  I know so little about the first time, but here's to hoping the second time is the best," he says, holding his tankard up to clink in a toast,"As for me, I feel like I've been around the world several times now, doing things I am proud of, and some I'd rather forget."

Hoke lets out a sigh.

"So, what did the library's books teach you about being a king that life and experience did not?" he asks, taking about drink.

"I didn't get much in the way of Kinging the first time through. Got my Kingdom and floundered around for a few short years before the Orcish War broke out, and then I left the Kingdom to go fight in that. Was a good commander, but that's not likely what King of Eubric is going to be. Hopefully, at least." Boomingham takes out his handkerchief and mops his brow. "Most books are a catalogue of what you ought not to do, way I see it. Turns out Kings haven't had the hottest track record. There's some good ones in there, course, but lots of tyrants. Got to be careful. Don't want any handsome knights with the common good at heart coming for me." He winks at Hoke while also sizing up his weapons. Spending a year reading and drinking had done little for Boomingham's fighting prowess and he feels weak in front of the Paragon.

On 6/6/2017 at 11:13 PM, Kintobor said:

"Yet people can, um, turn into wolves and other such creatures, can they not? Also, um, I'm an elf, Pretzel, just as I am sure you're not human." Annienal replies calmly. 

"You act as if I want to change who I am fundamentally, but that is not the case. Just as a caterpillar transforms into a butterfly, I wish to transform into something and fly away into the horizon. To feel the wind rush across me, to feel the power inside of me, and when I feel ready, um, protect those who cannot help themselves. Well, um, now that I think about it, it's less like a butterfly than I thought." Annienal mused, explaining her reasoning to the Monk and Throlar. "I don't want to stop being Annienal. If I had the choice to be a dragon but not be Annienal the dragon, then there wouldn't be any reason in my mind to oblige agreeing to such an arrangement."

"I, um, haven't seen Bobby in ages." Annienal mentions, hoping deep down Bobby's vocabulary had improved, even though she knew it probably hadn't. "Um, excuse me, Bobby, do you have a moment to talk?"

"Ah..." Bobby smiles lazily behind the mask, but it doesn't translate well. "Mi Chica, bien sur, you know it - always time to talk to you, know what I'm saying? Who could say no?" His raspy laughter curdles through the masks' mouthpiece.

24 minutes ago, Zepher said:

"I didn't get much in the way of Kinging the first time through. Got my Kingdom and floundered around for a few short years before the Orcish War broke out, and then I left the Kingdom to go fight in that. Was a good commander, but that's not likely what King of Eubric is going to be. Hopefully, at least." Boomingham takes out his handkerchief and mops his brow. "Most books are a catalogue of what you ought not to do, way I see it. Turns out Kings haven't had the hottest track record. There's some good ones in there, course, but lots of tyrants. Got to be careful. Don't want any handsome knights with the common good at heart coming for me." He winks at Hoke while also sizing up his weapons. Spending a year reading and drinking had done little for Boomingham's fighting prowess and he feels weak in front of the Paragon.

"I guess the difference, and at the same time what makes it hard to be the king, is the people you surround yourself with.  They can work for you, with you, or against you," the paragon takes another drink,"And sometimes you can't tell the difference."

As he says this he notices the former Paladin's gaze.

"But I guess that's the real trick for any leader: the people that follow."

6 hours ago, Palathadric said:

I give a little cry as the shadow launches itself at Torald. "But why would I ever want to attack Torald?"

"We know you wouldn't, but Torald needed to confront his fear!"

8 hours ago, Alfadas said:

I'm getting a little tired, but still good to go. I learned how to actually use magic, to focus on the gems, but not too much, let energy flow, not too much again. I learned how to restrain myself, to stay calm in stressful situations. I learned that not everything needs to be solved with magic, that I don't go around shooting fireballs into the sky just for fun. Basically, to stay calm, think about the situation, using magic only when necessary and not excessively. 

Ezeran straightens his back and goes to the bar and fetches a mulled wine for himself, an ale for Torald and a lemonade for Petaldan. "You have learned much so far, let's take a break and drink to your success as a battle mage!" He raises his glass and smiles.

29 minutes ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran straightens his back and goes to the bar and fetches a mulled wine for himself, an ale for Torald and a lemonade for Petaldan. "You have learned much so far, let's take a break and drink to your success as a battle mage!" He raises his glass and smiles.

Torald raises his pint. To friendship! And not killing eachother!

4 hours ago, Zepher said:

"Ah..." Bobby smiles lazily behind the mask, but it doesn't translate well. "Mi Chica, bien sur, you know it - always time to talk to you, know what I'm saying? Who could say no?" His raspy laughter curdles through the masks' mouthpiece.

Annienal was not just annoyed at Bobby's lacking grammar skills, but also unnerved by the raspiness of his voice. 

"Um... hello, Bobby... um... what's new with you?"

8 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"I guess what I mean is that when men, let me take heroes for example, become powerful, it's usually a very slow and gradual process. Look at the most powerful heroes in the hall now. They didn't become powerhouses over night. It was a slow, arduous process. The process is of becoming great is by not means a foolproof method of weeding out the corrupt ones, but it does do a job of removing many of them. Furthermore, it enables those around them to see the road that power is leading them on and preempt too great problems from arising, at least in theory. However, turning one's self into a beast is a far less gradual process, at least physically. No one can really know how it will be for you just when that moment of power hits.

"Moreover, in order to become a beast, no matter how great a beast it is, requires, in a sense, tapping into the baser part of human nature. When the moment of truth comes, there's no telling whether it will take complete control or not."

"I do not intend to tap into any mere beast. You're equivocating dragons, creatures capable of speech, communication, spell casting, and logic, to that of a wolf or a badger. I find that disingenuous to the capability of dragons as creatures. 

To expound upon your previous point, I don't believe time is a factor when it comes to grabbing power. To those who truly want power, waiting is merely an obstacle to overcome. People have waited long periods of time to enact revenge, or to obtain something they desire." 

19 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Um... yes. Yes I do." Annienal responds, matter of factly.

"Then as long as you don't start turning evil I see no reason to object. But what prompted this desire in you? As far as I know, the only dragon you've met is Lethauros, and I see no reason why you'd want to emulate him."

8 hours ago, Zepher said:

Throlar leaned away from the new arrival with a look of unease on his face.

2 hours ago, Kintobor said:

To expound upon your previous point, I don't believe time is a factor when it comes to grabbing power. To those who truly want power, waiting is merely an obstacle to overcome. People have waited long periods of time to enact revenge, or to obtain something they desire." 

"Yes well, people like that tend to be a bit... obsessive. For normal people the monk's statements may prove true."

6 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Then as long as you don't start turning evil I see no reason to object. But what prompted this desire in you? As far as I know, the only dragon you've met is Lethauros, and I see no reason why you'd want to emulate him."

"Yes well, people like that tend to be a bit... obsessive. For normal people the monk's statements may prove true."

"Well... um... it was sort of spurred on while I was in military college. I'd spend a lot of my time reading in the library. Part of me wanted to escape, to fly away and just leave it behind, but my family's military tradition sort of held me back. I was spurred on by just reading through various tomes and literature about dragons. It, um, sort of spiralled into an obsession, I suppose. To simply fly to wherever I want to go, with no real sense of obligations to something I didn't want to, to make my own path and have no one stand in my way: I couldn't do that as just an elf. I don't even know if it's possible to turn myself into a dragon, but, um... it's worth a shot."

"Well, I, um, wouldn't call most people in this hall normal, Throlar." Annienal responds. 

20 hours ago, Zepher said:

The green giant is Visibly shaken by his friends appearance.

What is the Shiz with you my friend?

23 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"I do not intend to tap into any mere beast. You're equivocating dragons, creatures capable of speech, communication, spell casting, and logic, to that of a wolf or a badger. I find that disingenuous to the capability of dragons as creatures. 

"I suppose what I meant is that dragons are almost...incomprehensible to us. They are both far wiser, in many ways, and yet far more bestial as well, in a sense. You could say that dragons are similar to us, but far more extreme. That is why for dragons, you find some that supremely noble and upright beings and others that are woefully base and downright evil even. The majority share the two though. For a human to become a dragon, though, I see no way that you would be able to expand your mind to receive their wisdom, but merely entering the body would fill you with their baser instincts, I fear."

20 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

13 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"It, um, sort of spiralled into an obsession, I suppose.

I raise my eyebrows as the knight, in a sense, confirms my fears about becoming obsessed with the idea of becoming a dragon. A new idea strikes me, though.

"Have you ever met the Rito? If you haven't, I would strongly advise you do so before pursuing your quest for dragonness too far. They may help you a lot. Furthermore, they have a relationship with dragons and could surely introduce to some kindly ones. I have worked with them and they are a noble and upright race. They may be able to satisfy your passion for flight without the need to endanger yourself and others."

On 6/8/2017 at 7:54 PM, MysticModulus said:

"You have learned much so far, let's take a break and drink to your success as a battle mage!" He raises his glass and smiles.

"I will drink to that! But first let me go and inquire for Torald about that cloak."

A few moments later, Petaldan returns with his report.

"The old gentlemen regretfully informed me that he sold the cloak to one of the merchants at the marketplace. However, he showed me his other equipments, and I found a delightful piece of Heavy Armour that I think would suit you perfectly. He requested 130 gold for it."

21 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"I will drink to that! But first let me go and inquire for Torald about that cloak."

A few moments later, Petaldan returns with his report.

"The old gentlemen regretfully informed me that he sold the cloak to one of the merchants at the marketplace. However, he showed me his other equipments, and I found a delightful piece of Heavy Armour that I think would suit you perfectly. He requested 130 gold for it."

Aahh, that is a shame. O well. Hmm, that Heavy Armour sounds interesting. Torald rumbles around in his pockets, fetching the grand total of 130 gold. He hands the gold over to Petaldan with the words Would you be so kind as to get it for me? 

Edited by Alfadas

With just a moment's delay, Petaldan returns with the Heavy Armour for Torald, having given the gold to Pretzel.

16 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Well... um... it was sort of spurred on while I was in military college. I'd spend a lot of my time reading in the library. Part of me wanted to escape, to fly away and just leave it behind, but my family's military tradition sort of held me back. I was spurred on by just reading through various tomes and literature about dragons. It, um, sort of spiralled into an obsession, I suppose. To simply fly to wherever I want to go, with no real sense of obligations to something I didn't want to, to make my own path and have no one stand in my way: I couldn't do that as just an elf. I don't even know if it's possible to turn myself into a dragon, but, um... it's worth a shot."

"Well, I, um, wouldn't call most people in this hall normal, Throlar." Annienal responds. 

Throlar wanted to dispute her statements, he wanted to say that she didn't need to attain power to have freedom, but he didn't really believe it himself. So he kept silent, thinking of his own obligations, those to Titaan that he had neglected, those to others that he felt he could never fulfill, and those to his moral code that he would never be able to live up to. Gods, how the elf's words made him feel them, feel them like heavy weights around his neck, strangling him, like great honking albatrosses that would never be silenced or satiated. He suddenly felt a great desire to be free of them, to cast off all ties to the world.

But how could he? How can anyone with the slightest thread of compassion do that? Every wrong done to others became an obligation to them to right it, every tear shed was an obligation to bring a smile to that face. All life was an obligation of this kind and true freedom was impossible without cutting off all love and kindness. And that would make whoever did that a monster, unfettered by goodness. Good itself was an obligation, a duty to the world, and to shirk it was selfish cruelty.

But he didn't say these things outside his head, he simply kept silent.

Torald gladly accepts the Heavy Armour. Thanks!

Torald looks at Petaldan and Ezeran. That new quest, sounds interesting. Are we gonna give it a try?

Edited by Alfadas

2 hours ago, Alfadas said:

Torald gladly accepts the Heavy Armour. Thanks!

Torald looks at Petaldan and Ezeran. That new quest, sounds interesting. Are we gonna give it a try?

"Yes, why not? Seems intriguing!"

Ezeran signs up to quest 158

Edited by MysticModulus

25 minutes ago, MysticModulus said:

"Yes, why not? Seems intriguing!"

Ezeran signs up to quest 158

Torald follows Ezeran to the notification board and scribbles his name down. Torald signs up for Quest 158

"Hmm...I don't like all these quests that just have to do with business and making money."

Neverthless, Petaldan signs up for Quest #158.

Pretzel, also strolls over and signs up for Quest #158.

Annie, it would seem that Tridentia is once again in need.  It would do me well to see how young Luke has grown since my last visit.  Shall you join me?

Vindsval Signs up for Quest 158.

Matthias strides back into the hall, tiny legs and tiny steps propelling more cannon and hat than should be possible. He stops at the quest board to sign up for Quest #158 before installing himself and his cannon at the end of the bar, a comically large tankard of cider in hand.

On 6/8/2017 at 2:53 PM, UsernameMDM said:

"I guess the difference, and at the same time what makes it hard to be the king, is the people you surround yourself with.  They can work for you, with you, or against you," the paragon takes another drink,"And sometimes you can't tell the difference."

As he says this he notices the former Paladin's gaze.

"But I guess that's the real trick for any leader: the people that follow."

"That's exactly the trouble." Boomingham casts his eyes around the Hall. "I spent a good number of years making all sorts of new friends. But where have they gone?"

On 6/8/2017 at 4:03 PM, Kintobor said:

Annienal was not just annoyed at Bobby's lacking grammar skills, but also unnerved by the raspiness of his voice. 

"Um... hello, Bobby... um... what's new with you?"

"Oh, you know, little bit of this, little bit of that." Bobby's eyes glaze over. "Had to take some time to chill out with the family, you know. Celebrate a birthday and all that shiz. Been a pretty tight time but I think I gotta go do some new adventuring you dig?"

On 6/9/2017 at 8:23 AM, Asphalt said:

The green giant is Visibly shaken by his friends appearance.

What is the Shiz with you my friend?

"My man!" rasps Bobby. "How's it hanging? Like I was just telling this lil' chica here I'm looking to get back in the game. Seems like a good time too." He loses focus for a second and wanders over to the quest board, signing up for Quest #158. He jerks back over to the heroes and snaps his head up, as if he hadn't left at all. He tries to smile. "Gotta get going again. Been a bit down in the dumps, you dig, ain't been having no luck with them ladies or any dudes at all for that matter, know what I mean, getting a bit lonely with only the family to tick the clock with. Lonely was never good for me but it's real bad now, with..."