Sandy

Heroica RPG - Heroica Hall

Blizzard walks up to Torald.

"Torald! You back!" Upon further inspection of the newly trained battle mage, Blizzard realizes that he is, well, a battle mage. "You mage now?"

8 hours ago, Alfadas said:

No need to apologize. Happens to the best of us. Torald picks up the Aquamarine. He can feel the cold energy of water flowing through it. He puts the Aquamarine and the Garnet in his pocket. Deal. You can have that hammer, I'll take these fine gems. Thanks!

Use them well.  Write your story in their facets.

Vindsval picks up the Hammer and slides it into his belt.

19 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Well, I mean, um, I suppose you have a right to know that, um, I'm, um... well, um... I'm trying to, um, turn myself into a dragon." Annienal mumbles, avoiding eye contact.

"I appreciate the sentiment, Vind. I, um, also consider a close friend, and I'm glad to have met someone such as yourself." Annienal smiles back.

Annienal turns quickly, nearly jumping out of her chair. "Where?" Annienal asks, looking ready to pack her things and head out to whatever place the man told her to go.

The ability to assume the body of the wyrm would be a great gift indeed.  Do you remember or journeys with The Carverhall?  He could assume the form the a beast.  Perhaps that is the path to which you should bend your research.

9 hours ago, Rider Raider said:

Blizzard walks up to Torald.

"Torald! You back!" Upon further inspection of the newly trained battle mage, Blizzard realizes that he is, well, a battle mage. "You mage now?"

Aye. I am a Battle Mage, still in training. 

8 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Use them well.  Write your story in their facets.

Vindsval picks up the Hammer and slides it into his belt.

Torald doesn't fully understand the meaning of Vindsval's words, but I'll do my best, I'll try my hardest. 

On 6/1/2017 at 8:26 AM, UsernameMDM said:

Hoke awakes from his pondering only to see a face he hadn't noticed before.

"Aren't you a little old for this?" he asks with a smile as he walks up to the bar.

Boomingham laughs and orders a second drink for Hoke. "Well hello there, chap. Could be I'm getting a little old. Spent the last year or so looking up ways to be a King - went to the library again for the first time... who knows how long. Ended up getting stuck there and I figured I might walk out and give my muscles a bit of flexing." He looks around for Barty to zap into experience and bemoan only half the time had been spent in the library (the rest in pubs) but the little angel remains MIA. Force of habit. "How have you been?"

On 6/1/2017 at 5:57 PM, samurai-turtle said:

After coming back from the marketplace. Germ spotted "Robert" and wonder what is up with that mask. 

Well if it is not Robert "Young" Bucks. Where have you been hiding? 

Bobby's vision snaps to, but the Demon Germ is already off arguing with other people. "My man," he mumbles to himself as he wanders around idly.

14 minutes ago, Zepher said:

Boomingham laughs and orders a second drink for Hoke. "Well hello there, chap. Could be I'm getting a little old. Spent the last year or so looking up ways to be a King - went to the library again for the first time... who knows how long. Ended up getting stuck there and I figured I might walk out and give my muscles a bit of flexing." He looks around for Barty to zap into experience and bemoan only half the time had been spent in the library (the rest in pubs) but the little angel remains MIA. Force of habit. "How have you been?"

Hoke accepts the drink, and laughs.

"A king?  Twice now?  I know so little about the first time, but here's to hoping the second time is the best," he says, holding his tankard up to clink in a toast,"As for me, I feel like I've been around the world several times now, doing things I am proud of, and some I'd rather forget."

Hoke lets out a sigh.

"So, what did the library's books teach you about being a king that life and experience did not?" he asks, taking about drink.

Edited by UsernameMDM

On 6/3/2017 at 3:32 AM, Kintobor said:

"Well, I mean, um, I suppose you have a right to know that, um, I'm, um... well, um... I'm trying to, um, turn myself into a dragon." Annienal mumbles, avoiding eye contact

I stagger back, completely not hearing anything that is said afterwards.

"But...but you were made a human. Why would you want to change who you are? You cannot just become something you are not."

My voice trembles with emotion, but not anger, as if I had once been in a similar position and the knight's words brought back uncomfortable emotions.

6 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"But...but you were made a human. Why would you want to change who you are? You cannot just become something you are not."

My voice trembles with emotion, but not anger, as if I had once been in a similar position and the knight's words brought back uncomfortable emotions.

Addok-Zo lets out a faint, sinister chuckle after listening to the young elf and old man converse.  One word struck his mind - pathetic.  How could someone not want to exceed their natural boundaries?  It is a strange concept that clouded his thoughts. 

"What is wrong with one wanting to ascend to a higher potential?  I have heard tales of men fusing themselves with mechanical limbs solely to be stripped of their flesh, to abandon the suffering of wounds - both inside and outside.  I recall hearing about someone who changed from man to machine.  I forget who it was, I think it was a dwarf... anyway, he succumbed to the sickness of body modifications to the point he was no longer himself.  Some say it's madness, I personally think it is genius."

"What is the point in it, though?" I say to the odd-looking fellow.

Vindsval pointedly drums his mechanical fingers on the table as the strange little man speaks of "ascending."  He also scans the room for the boy who was once his friend.

What has happened to Bobby, Annie?  Those whispers, that face.  He is not the youngling we once knew.

18 hours ago, Goliath said:

"What is wrong with one wanting to ascend to a higher potential?  I have heard tales of men fusing themselves with mechanical limbs solely to be stripped of their flesh, to abandon the suffering of wounds - both inside and outside.  I recall hearing about someone who changed from man to machine.  I forget who it was, I think it was a dwarf... anyway, he succumbed to the sickness of body modifications to the point he was no longer himself.  Some say it's madness, I personally think it is genius."

"That is the most disturbing and unpleasant thing I've ever heard. What's the point of self improvement if it makes you cease to be yourself?"

8 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"What is the point in it, though?" I say to the odd-looking fellow.

2 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"That is the most disturbing and unpleasant thing I've ever heard. What's the point of self improvement if it makes you cease to be yourself?"

"That, I cannot answer confidently as people have different reasons.  I once met a man, before my Heroica days, who had his legs replaced with mechanical ones solely to run faster and longer.  But then there are rumors, at least I believe them to be.  Apparently there is a cult that supports the idea of leaving their biological bodies to be replaced with mechanical ones, to challenge the gods.  Time and sickness would practically become ineffective to them.  Crazy stuff to digest, I know."

On June 3, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Lord Duvors said:

Throlar sat in silence, staring at Annie in blank speechlessness.

"What. The hell." he finally intoned in shock.

On June 5, 2017 at 0:59 PM, Palathadric said:

"Yet people can, um, turn into wolves and other such creatures, can they not? Also, um, I'm an elf, Pretzel, just as I am sure you're not human." Annienal replies calmly. 

"You act as if I want to change who I am fundamentally, but that is not the case. Just as a caterpillar transforms into a butterfly, I wish to transform into something and fly away into the horizon. To feel the wind rush across me, to feel the power inside of me, and when I feel ready, um, protect those who cannot help themselves. Well, um, now that I think about it, it's less like a butterfly than I thought." Annienal mused, explaining her reasoning to the Monk and Throlar. "I don't want to stop being Annienal. If I had the choice to be a dragon but not be Annienal the dragon, then there wouldn't be any reason in my mind to oblige agreeing to such an arrangement."

12 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Vindsval pointedly drums his mechanical fingers on the table as the strange little man speaks of "ascending."  He also scans the room for the boy who was once his friend.

What has happened to Bobby, Annie?  Those whispers, that face.  He is not the youngling we once knew.

"I, um, haven't seen Bobby in ages." Annienal mentions, hoping deep down Bobby's vocabulary had improved, even though she knew it probably hadn't. "Um, excuse me, Bobby, do you have a moment to talk?"

12 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Yet people can, um, turn into wolves and other such creatures, can they not? Also, um, I'm an elf, Pretzel, just as I am sure you're not human." Annienal replies calmly. 

"You act as if I want to change who I am fundamentally, but that is not the case. Just as a caterpillar transforms into a butterfly, I wish to transform into something and fly away into the horizon. To feel the wind rush across me, to feel the power inside of me, and when I feel ready, um, protect those who cannot help themselves. Well, um, now that I think about it, it's less like a butterfly than I thought." Annienal mused, explaining her reasoning to the Monk and Throlar. "I don't want to stop being Annienal. If I had the choice to be a dragon but not be Annienal the dragon, then there wouldn't be any reason in my mind to oblige agreeing to such an arrangement."

"Ah, pardon me, I meant 'humanoid' or whatever the term is they are spinning around nowadays. I see, so in essence, you wish to keep your mind, but change your body form. I can see why someone would want to do that, but, nevertheless, I'm not sure if I've ever truly seen it in done in the way you propose. I have a friend, or had a friend, I should say, who used to be a hero. Later is in life, he took on the ability to turn into a wolf, but, believe me, the road he took to there, was not a road that I would like to see another walk. He was much altered in mind from his early days of youthful exuberance to his later years of, well, a sort of cold cynicism. You know, there's a moment in heroes lives, and I've seen it in many heroes that have walked into these halls, where they stop really thinking that they can make a positive difference in the world and they let the cold attitude of the world outside affect their hearts. At that moment, they stop heroing for others and start heroing for what it gives them.

"I don't want to scare you, but let me tell you what I think in regards to the matter. I believe that humans, elves, and the like, were created the size they were and in the way they were, because their gifts and passions were not compatible with a larger form. Could you really trust yourself in the body of such a large creature as a dragon? The fact is that you will never know until you get there, but often the pride and self-interest of our hearts only shows itself when we enter a position to display it. That is why children who display nothing but the utmost loyalty to their parents and humility can suddenly explode into horribly oppressive tyrants when given a position of power. So long as they felt constrained by their parents, they behaved themselves, but when positions of power were achieved, their true colours showed. Sometimes, you yourself do not know what your own mind is capable of, I suppose as far as both good and evil are concerned."

2 hours ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran yawns "Sorry I seemed to doze off a bit, let's continue with your training! Say, what do you fear the most friend?"

What do I fear most? That is a tough question... Torald sits back in his chair and thinks for a good long time. I think I fear losing people I care about most. You know, losing very good friends, that stuff is hard. Yeah, losing people is what I fear most. 

Also, is there anyone who wants to sell some items, like a nice cloak or something? Torald asks, to no-one in particular and everyone in general, in a weird attempt to change subject. Exposing himself doesn't feel all that great. 

30 minutes ago, Alfadas said:

What do I fear most? That is a tough question... Torald sits back in his chair and thinks for a good long time. I think I fear losing people I care about most. You know, losing very good friends, that stuff is hard. Yeah, losing people is what I fear most. 

Also, is there anyone who wants to sell some items, like a nice cloak or something? Torald asks, to no-one in particular and everyone in general, in a weird attempt to change subject. Exposing himself doesn't feel all that great. 

Ezeran nods. "The fear of loosing friends and family is not uncommon." The symbiont shudders its lips and tongue shaking visibly. Ezeran waves at Petaldan. "Come over here will you young master knight?"

I step forward.

"Hi, Ezeran. I see that you are training Torald in the arts of magic, maybe someday you'll train me too. Then we'll be an unstoppable force for good, I think. Oh, Torald, I think I saw that old master over there trying to sell a cloak at the marketplace not long ago and Mr Fabian did not seem all that interested. Should I inquire for you about it?"

10 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

I step forward.

"Hi, Ezeran. I see that you are training Torald in the arts of magic, maybe someday you'll train me too. Then we'll be an unstoppable force for good, I think. Oh, Torald, I think I saw that old master over there trying to sell a cloak at the marketplace not long ago and Mr Fabian did not seem all that interested. Should I inquire for you about it?"

Yeah, that would be great, 3 magic using guys, with different backgrounds. Sounds like the stuff of legends! And yes, please. That would be lovely. It seems you know him better. 

Edited by Alfadas

17 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"I... I can sympathize. I know what it's like to feel inadequate, like you don't have the power to make a difference. I'm constantly surrounded by heroes who are more powerful and better fighters than I am. I've honestly lost count of the times I've been knocked out in combat, and the memories of the people I failed to protect hang upon my soul heavily. But tell me, do you honestly feel that becoming a dragon is the best way for you to help people?"

4 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"Ah, pardon me, I meant 'humanoid' or whatever the term is they are spinning around nowadays. I see, so in essence, you wish to keep your mind, but change your body form. I can see why someone would want to do that, but, nevertheless, I'm not sure if I've ever truly seen it in done in the way you propose. I have a friend, or had a friend, I should say, who used to be a hero. Later is in life, he took on the ability to turn into a wolf, but, believe me, the road he took to there, was not a road that I would like to see another walk. He was much altered in mind from his early days of youthful exuberance to his later years of, well, a sort of cold cynicism. You know, there's a moment in heroes lives, and I've seen it in many heroes that have walked into these halls, where they stop really thinking that they can make a positive difference in the world and they let the cold attitude of the world outside affect their hearts. At that moment, they stop heroing for others and start heroing for what it gives them.

"Well that's depressing."

4 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"I don't want to scare you, but let me tell you what I think in regards to the matter. I believe that humans, elves, and the like, were created the size they were and in the way they were, because their gifts and passions were not compatible with a larger form. Could you really trust yourself in the body of such a large creature as a dragon? The fact is that you will never know until you get there, but often the pride and self-interest of our hearts only shows itself when we enter a position to display it. That is why children who display nothing but the utmost loyalty to their parents and humility can suddenly explode into horribly oppressive tyrants when given a position of power. So long as they felt constrained by their parents, they behaved themselves, but when positions of power were achieved, their true colours showed. Sometimes, you yourself do not know what your own mind is capable of, I suppose as far as both good and evil are concerned."

Throlar, having listened to the monk's words, shot a quizzical glance at Annie, as if trying to frame her in his mind as a tyrannical dictator.

Ezeran smiles at the young knight and pulls forth an amethyst from his satchel. Focusing on the gem a dark glow shone in the sorcerers eyes, the light in that part of the hall seemed to dim a bit and with a sudden booming noise and a puff of purple smoke an exact replica of the young knight stood before Torald.

"This is a shadow of Petaldan, not a mere beast or a demon but a reflection of his soul cast in an earthly apparition. Now he can only be stopped by magic. Good luck"

With a deep snarling sound coming from the reflections mouth the reflection of Petaldan threw itself against Torald. What would the battle mage do to stop it?

11 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"In brief, I, um, assume you mean to say "with great power comes great responsibility?" Annienal responds. "While I appreciate your vocabulary and statement, there is, um, a place for succinctness."

"On that note, what makes you believe that heroes in this hall have not succumbed to power? I mean, I guess my goal is lofty and more out there than most, but there are heroes here who have fought dragons, demons- even, um, gods. They must be powerful to do such things. To criticize me for something you deem to be me trying to assail power when others do so far more fragrantly is, in my opinion, short sighted." Annienal waits for Pretzel's response, her tone more inquisitive than critical. 

6 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"I... I can sympathize. I know what it's like to feel inadequate, like you don't have the power to make a difference. I'm constantly surrounded by heroes who are more powerful and better fighters than I am. I've honestly lost count of the times I've been knocked out in combat, and the memories of the people I failed to protect hang upon my soul heavily. But tell me, do you honestly feel that becoming a dragon is the best way for you to help people?"

Throlar, having listened to the monk's words, shot a quizzical glance at Annie, as if trying to frame her in his mind as a tyrannical dictator.

"Um... yes. Yes I do." Annienal responds, matter of factly.

9 hours ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran smiles at the young knight and pulls forth an amethyst from his satchel. Focusing on the gem a dark glow shone in the sorcerers eyes, the light in that part of the hall seemed to dim a bit and with a sudden booming noise and a puff of purple smoke an exact replica of the young knight stood before Torald.

"This is a shadow of Petaldan, not a mere beast or a demon but a reflection of his soul cast in an earthly apparition. Now he can only be stopped by magic. Good luck"

With a deep snarling sound coming from the reflections mouth the reflection of Petaldan threw itself against Torald. What would the battle mage do to stop it?

Trying to stay as calm as possible, Torald reached in his pocket, rumbled around in it and pulled forward the Emerald. Focusing on its energy, branches shoot forward from a nearby chair, grabbing the reflection and securing it tightly in the chair.

Might want to look away, Petaldan, this might not look nice. Torald grabbed the Topaz, focused on the gem and lightning came forth from Torald fingers. But just as they were to hit the reflection, the lightning faded. He couldn't hurt the young knight, even though it was just a reflection. He tried again, failing once more. Thinking about the situation, Torald kept the reflection bound to the chair, not hurting it anymore. 

He is stopped, he can't move anymore. 

2 hours ago, Alfadas said:

Trying to stay as calm as possible, Torald reached in his pocket, rumbled around in it and pulled forward the Emerald. Focusing on its energy, branches shoot forward from a nearby chair, grabbing the reflection and securing it tightly in the chair.

Might want to look away, Petaldan, this might not look nice. Torald grabbed the Topaz, focused on the gem and lightning came forth from Torald fingers. But just as they were to hit the reflection, the lightning faded. He couldn't hurt the young knight, even though it was just a reflection. He tried again, failing once more. Thinking about the situation, Torald kept the reflection bound to the chair, not hurting it anymore. 

He is stopped, he can't move anymore. 

Ezeran smiles. "You handled this situation as well as you could have regarding the circumstances! Keeping calm and showing restraint is very important while channeling magic, especially while handling your fears. Well done master battlemage! How are you holding up so far? Tell me what you have learned!"

1 hour ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran smiles. "You handled this situation as well as you could have regarding the circumstances! Keeping calm and showing restraint is very important while channeling magic, especially while handling your fears. Well done master battlemage! How are you holding up so far? Tell me what you have learned!"

I'm getting a little tired, but still good to go. I learned how to actually use magic, to focus on the gems, but not too much, let energy flow, not too much again. I learned how to restrain myself, to stay calm in stressful situations. I learned that not everything needs to be solved with magic, that I don't go around shooting fireballs into the sky just for fun. Basically, to stay calm, think about the situation, using magic only when necessary and not excessively.