Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

My fault, Zepher, I assumed the wind effect would damage the Bombsters, and the fire effect would just do nothing. I should've asked in the C&D thread.

And I will ask in the C&D thread, because I've been confused as well. I think I've allowed people to do damage the way you described above for all battles so far, but I realized recently that doesn't make sense. If a super effective and a non-effective gem are in the same weapon, then the weapon does normal damage. By the same token, a normal and non-effective should just not be effective, right? I'm rather unsure... but that's what makes logical sense to me. That's the danger of elemental weapons. Any ideas anyone?

Yes, I did indeed flee once. Saved our butts, if I remember correctly. Though I'm probably not. :laugh:

Luckily nobody in Dastan suspected that Xander carries a full sized horse in his pocket...

Quiet you, a magical shrinking horse is the closest thing I'm gonna get to a summon. :tongue:

And I will ask in the C&D thread, because I've been confused as well. I think I've allowed people to do damage the way you described above for all battles so far, but I realized recently that doesn't make sense. If a super effective and a non-effective gem are in the same weapon, then the weapon does normal damage. By the same token, a normal and non-effective should just not be effective, right? I'm rather unsure... but that's what makes logical sense to me. That's the danger of elemental weapons. Any ideas anyone?

Uhmm, Sandy made a post about this a few dozen pages back, not going to try and find it, but I THINK it is how you described.

Yes, a super-effective element nullifies the non-effective element in a weapon (and vice versa), but paired with an element that does normal damage, the non-effective element takes over.

Something I've always wondered: Is the level of an enemy equal to his/her/it's attack power, or can the QM determine it separately?

I think level should matter in the arena. Of course, that may make the fights end faster. An alternative though would be to make front row attacks halved and back row attacks quartered. :sadnew:

Something I've always wondered: Is the level of an enemy equal to his/her/it's attack power, or can the QM determine it separately?

Yes, the level of an enemy is equal to the damage it causes with a direct hit. There's no point in separating the two, since if attack power was determined separately, the level would serve no purpose at all.

What happens if by a twist of fate, we actually manage to kill Count Shadeaux?

There will be no such twist of fate. :tongue: Like Umbra Shadeaux in Quest#2, he cannot be killed, just defeated.

I welcome you to try even that, though.

Geez, I never knew an Undead? Count could so much damage. At level 50, Dyric goes down in one shot.

Edited by Endgame

Those rogues are going die. I suggest running as fast as you can, you already know that garlic hurts him, and he has power over bats, and that he is possible undead, I think that is enough information to call a retreat.

I have a more definitive way, Dyric is lucky anyway, he just has to hit the count once with a non-elemental weapon, if it hurts him, he ain't a vampire, if it does not, he is.

I have a more definitive way, Dyric is lucky anyway, he just has to hit the count once with a non-elemental weapon, if it hurts him, he ain't a vampire, if it does not, he is.

But do we know if Olegaia vampire are undead?

It is not Twilight. No sparkles.

I know that, if it was I won't play this. That thing made me strike that word from my vocabulary, I can only say gloaming now when I refer to the meeting of day and night.

However the point still stands, we are unaware if Olegaia vampire operate by the same rules as typical classic vampire. The garlic connection implies that they operate by classic rules, but I don't want to make any judgements. It always struck me oddthat vampires are undead in fiction, because usual vampires are made through infection. It seemed to me like they operated like that invisible race from Star Trek the Next Generation, the one who infected Le Forge. Not undead, just infectious. But that was just my take on it.

I know that, if it was I won't play this. That thing made me strike that word from my vocabulary, I can only say gloaming now when I refer to the meeting of day and night.

However the point still stands, we are unaware if Olegaia vampire operate by the same rules as typical classic vampire. The garlic connection implies that they operate by classic rules, but I don't want to make any judgements. It always struck me oddthat vampires are undead in fiction, because usual vampires are made through infection. It seemed to me like they operated like that invisible race from Star Trek the Next Generation, the one who infected Le Forge. Not undead, just infectious. But that was just my take on it.

Hmm, How I have learned that vampires are made by infection (that kills) indeed, but that the person only becomes a vampire after they die.

But because the person lives on as a vampire, the change is very subtle, and at first, the person appearance won't even have changed, and one can assume the Vampire's weaknesses would not be as prominent on the newborn vampire as well. So maybe it's just a courtesy thing: The Vampires are not considered living by normal people, but they actually are. We don't know, I think. Harder question than I at first thought :laugh:

Hmm, How I have learned that vampires are made by infection (that kills) indeed, but that the person only becomes a vampire after they die.

The reason I am personally wary of that interpretation is that it makes fampirs seem more like glorified zombies rather than their own entities. I suppose the sunlight thing and the bat form is different enough, but not all versions have the latter ability.

The reason I am personally wary of that interpretation is that it makes fampirs seem more like glorified zombies rather than their own entities. I suppose the sunlight thing and the bat form is different enough, but not all versions have the latter ability.

Well, a zombie is definitely not sentient, is slowly rotting away (makes disabling it quite easy) and can only be killed by taking out the brain, or removing the head from the body. It has no superhuman strength, other than the fact it does not get tired. It does not require sustenance (It kills/infects people and eats them for unclear purposes, they "live" just as long without as with food).

Vampires are sentient alright, have superhuman strength, strong regenerative abilities, sometimes powerful mental abilites. They can be killed by silver bullet through the heart, a wooden stake through the heart, or by taking out the brain or removing the head from the body, or sunlight, of course. It needs sleep (at least, it can sleep) and it needs sustenance, in the form of (human) blood, they also sometimes enjoy "mortal" food, but it is unclear if it provides any sustenance.

I say they are different enough :wink:

Well, a zombie is definitely not sentient, is slowly rotting away (makes disabling it quite easy) and can only be killed by taking out the brain, or removing the head from the body. It has no superhuman strength, other than the fact it does not get tired. It does not require sustenance (It kills/infects people and eats them for unclear purposes, they "live" just as long without as with food).

Vampires are sentient alright, have superhuman strength, strong regenerative abilities, sometimes powerful mental abilites. They can be killed by silver bullet through the heart, a wooden stake through the heart, or by taking out the brain or removing the head from the body, or sunlight, of course. It needs sleep (at least, it can sleep) and it needs sustenance, in the form of (human) blood, they also sometimes enjoy "mortal" food, but it is unclear if it provides any sustenance.

I suppose so, they just seem similar to me. Maybe it's because they are both mainstream fictional creatures. You see them so often they just seem kind of dull and usual, to the point they seem to blend. Like how European dragons and werewolves are completely different, but both seem kind of boring to me.

My question is kind of random, and I hope you (or Tanma) know this.

Are we talking about the Haitian Voodoo zombie, or a bacterial virus type? (I think you are discussing the latter.) So in order to kill it, you must take out the brain, because that's where the bacteria is. But why not just shoot the heart? Blood can't pump to brain, brain doesn't work, bacteria has nothing to "feed" on.

I know you must shoot its head or cut it off or something, but why?

My question is kind of random, and I hope you (or Tanma) know this.

Are we talking about the Haitian Voodoo zombie, or a bacterial virus type? (I think you are discussing the latter.) So in order to kill it, you must take out the brain, because that's where the bacteria is. But why not just shoot the heart? Blood can't pump to brain, brain doesn't work, bacteria has nothing to "feed" on.

I know you must shoot its head or cut it off or something, but why?

Well, we are of course talking about the Fantasy zombie, which of course finds it roots in magic, as for your question: There are probably awnsers to it, there are even really cool books out there describing how to survive in a zombie apocalypse and all the characteristics of zombies (or 'them', as the professional term is) but I don't know, really, what I would say is that the bacteria/virus feeds on the flesh/tissue of the dead person, and that the brain serves as some sort of hub for all the zombie's coordination. Blood does not circulate in the zombie anyway.

Well, we are of course talking about the Fantasy zombie, which of course finds it roots in magic, as for your question: There are probably awnsers to it, there are even really cool books out there describing how to survive in a zombie apocalypse and all the characteristics of zombies (or 'them', as the professional term is) but I don't know, really, what I would say is that the bacteria/virus feeds on the flesh/tissue of the dead person, and that the brain serves as some sort of hub for all the zombie's coordination. Blood does not circulate in the zombie anyway.

Ok, the fantasy one with magic makes sense. But I am curious, if blood doesn't circulate, how does it move? :laugh: I'll go do some research.