Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

Sorry for the delay 148/150. We're kind of preparing for the worst here with Hurricane Matthew. I will update as soon as I can.

Hey, @Sandy, any word on the magic shop in the Marketplace?  There's a severe lack of gems and scrolls available in the game in general at the moment, so it's sorely needed. :blush:

17 hours ago, Flipz said:

Hey, @Sandy, any word on the magic shop in the Marketplace?  There's a severe lack of gems and scrolls available in the game in general at the moment, so it's sorely needed. :blush:

It's still coming as soon as I find the time to build it. As I've been saying, much of my free time has been reserved by other activities now. :blush:

Sorry for the lengthy break. I spent most of my weekend in the closet of a rental home. :laugh: :wacko:

Update to 150 coming later today. :thumbup:

Are we ever going to get the old Heroica banner up top back?

4 hours ago, KotZ said:

Are we ever going to get the old Heroica banner up top back?

Been thinking the same but the banner are missing through the whole forum, so maybe will need to still wait.

But then to why I came here for:

15 minutes ago, Sandy said:

heroicaquest148-mindflayer.jpg "Gyaaaaahhhhh!!!"

The death cry of the mindflayer was otherwordly. All the power she had gathered throughout thousands of years were nullified in a fleeting moment. Being a true loner, she had made the fatal error of underestimating the effectiveness of cooperation. With the whole world against her, all the might and all the magic in the universe could not save her, for she was just one among billions. That realization struck her at the moment of her death.

One fatal error, and Baba was erased from history.

~THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS VICTORIOUS!~

Does somebody else also feel like this didn´t give the "Ultimate Boss Battle!" feeling, Baba the big bad motha die just like that. And this was not meant like taking nothing away from anyone but the CP were unstoppable whole quest and the when the final opponent, that is totally overpowered (like a ultimate boss should be) she gets nerfed by magic and dust and thats it. :hmpf_bad: I would had hoped she would had kicked the player characters around a little before she dies atleast :laugh::tongue:

Oh well, it was a awesome quest nontheless, once again Sandy. :thumbup: Enjoying to read and watch.

Edited by Mencot

3 hours ago, Mencot said:

Does somebody else also feel like this didn´t give the "Ultimate Boss Battle!" feeling, Baba the big bad motha die just like that. And this was not meant like taking nothing away from anyone but the CP were unstoppable whole quest and the when the final opponent, that is totally overpowered (like a ultimate boss should be) she gets nerfed by magic and dust and thats it. :hmpf_bad: I would had hoped she would had kicked the player characters around a little before she dies atleast :laugh::tongue:

Oh well, it was a awesome quest nontheless, once again Sandy. :thumbup: Enjoying to read and watch.

No.  No.  "Ultimate Boss Battle" doesn't--and shouldn't--necessarily mean a long, dragging slog that lasts forever and is nigh-unbeatable.  Too often we see boss battles (here and elsewhere) that either counteract all the heroes' advantages or just remove all the enemies' weaknesses, so that everything eventually just comes down to the roll of the dice and these high-level characters don't get to use any of their special abilities and skills that they've built up and saved for just the right moment.  If the "big bad" is just going to be immune to anything you can throw at it, why even bother hanging onto rare and powerful items at all?  Why bother having rare and powerful items if there's never a good opportunity to use them?  Why bother growing powerful if you never get to use that power?

Let's take a look at the specific scenario.  First of all, Baba was nasty--all of her Specials, save one, were area-of-effect, which meant one Round of bad luck and the entire Hero party was toast.  Sure, her Level made her less of a threat in that regard, but she still could have OHKO'd Byblos and 2HKO'd several other party members; much higher than she was and she would have been unfair, especially with her getting the Encouraged buff later that would have OHKO'd literally the entire party other than Pretzel, and even then he only survived with the extremely expensive Inspired buff.  Second, she had Perfect Dodge--until the relevant plot macguffin showed up to negate it, and the psycrown was both foreshadowed and specifically prepared for.  I'm very much not a fan of the "no sell on anything other than one weak spot" school of boss design, but even so it's totally fair for the crown--an extremely powerful magic item via established lore--to counteract and nerf the major power that she relied on--and I would argue in-character over-relied on--to fuel her "invincibility".  Third, look at it practically--even pretending that Baba was perma-Fragile, she could take a maximum of 1160 damage from Hybros per attack, and he was the only member of the party who could do anything at all to her.  That's 10 attacks minimum (including the one that first applied the attack), and not all of those are going to land, or they might land but not deal as much damage--without autorolling, we'd have been looking at a solid two to three weeks of only one player being able to play.  Letting the players nerf her and autorun was good design by Sandy, and did well to emphasize how pathetic Baba really was once stripped of her crutch.  She was the "Big Bad of Heroica" because of that one power of hers that let her always be one step ahead and always be too powerful to challenge.  The Heroes have finally achieved true power at epic levels (the Level 50 and up players are basically playing the equivalent of Level 20 in D&D or Pathfinder), so it makes perfect sense that several of them together--or even just one of them equipped with the proper magic items--could go toe-to-toe with threats considered impossible by the common bystander or even fellow Heroes of lower level.  Could Keliim have taken on Baba?  Kiray?  Annienal?  Jinnipher?  Miderun?  Bobby?  Maybe after she got nerfed with Minimizing Dust, but who carries that around?  High-level Heroes with experience of fighting ridiculously powerful enemies that need a nerf, that's who.  The Heroes of 148 earned their power over years of play, and they poured a ton of expensive resources into this Quest and into this battle specifically.  It's only fitting that they reap the rewards of their persistence and diligence and preparation. :classic:

7 hours ago, Alfadas said:

Torald makes a very painful looking thinking face. Then, all of a sudden, his face gets a bright look, and Torald says: I know the answer! You've got three boxes, right? All of them have something inside, but they are all miss-labeled, right? So, what I think what you should do here, is take a look in the box that says "both". If you open it and it shows mead, you know the box with phoenix essence on it is the both box, and the mead box is the phoenix essence box. Same goes for the phoenix essence box, but reversed. Do you still understand? 

Oh, good someone got it.  I was worried KotZ was going to claim the dubious honor of being the first QM to achieve a TPKO Quest failure via logic puzzle. :poke:

41 minutes ago, Flipz said:

Oh, good someone got it.  I was worried KotZ was going to claim the dubious honor of being the first QM to achieve a TPKO Quest failure via logic puzzle. :poke:

Haha sorry? Puzzles normally mess me up but I wanted to try something different for my quests since mine have been all battles so why not change it up. But a TPKO because of a puzzle would have been depressing. 

5 minutes ago, KotZ said:

Haha sorry? Puzzles normally mess me up but I wanted to try something different for my quests since mine have been all battles so why not change it up. But a TPKO because of a puzzle would have been depressing. 

I mean, I got it in like five seconds, but then again I play the PC who worshiped Chaos at one point, so I'm pretty sure my brain is broken in some pretty specific ways already to let me solve something like that. :tongue:

17 hours ago, Flipz said:

"Ultimate Boss Battle" doesn't--and shouldn't--necessarily mean a long, dragging slog that lasts forever and is nigh-unbeatable.  Too often we see boss battles (here and elsewhere) that either counteract all the heroes' advantages or just remove all the enemies' weaknesses, so that everything eventually just comes down to the roll of the dice and these high-level characters don't get to use any of their special abilities and skills that they've built up and saved for just the right moment.  If the "big bad" is just going to be immune to anything you can throw at it, why even bother hanging onto rare and powerful items at all?  Why bother having rare and powerful items if there's never a good opportunity to use them?  Why bother growing powerful if you never get to use that power?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

18 hours ago, Flipz said:

Uhm, to be fair I didn't really get it at all, but Heckz and palathadric mailed me the answer, for it didn't make sense for his character to give the answer... :grin:

Edited by Alfadas

14 minutes ago, Alfadas said:

Uhm, to be fair I didn't really get it at all, but Heckz and palathadric mailed me the answer, for it didn't make sense for his character to give the answer... :grin:

Haha @Palathadric! No outside help!:poke:

Well, Torald was going to give the wrong answer. And I didn't want your quest to fail.

I did it for you, KotZ, just for you. :wub:

I deserve a medal. :innocent:

On 14.10.2016 at 2:19 AM, Flipz said:

No.  No.  "Ultimate Boss Battle" doesn't--and shouldn't--necessarily mean a long, dragging slog that lasts forever and is nigh-unbeatable.

Also, I just wanted to get the quest over and done with. :blush: Thus I made the battle heavily scripted.

20 hours ago, Palathadric said:

Well, Torald was going to give the wrong answer. And I didn't want your quest to fail.

I did it for you, KotZ, just for you. :wub:

I deserve a medal. :innocent:

Oh thanks, that makes me feel so much better.:laugh:

On 10/14/2016 at 7:28 PM, Alfadas said:

That sad feeling of only being recognized by your character's name. :cry_sad:

Sorry, guys, been really busy and exhausted - I'll have updates tomorrow.

10 hours ago, Cutcobra said:

Sorry...

15 hours ago, Cutcobra said:

Their, their. 

4 hours ago, Alfadas said:

Sorry...

You better be Torald. 

Runs off before they decided to beat up "The Demon Germ". 

On October 15, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Cutcobra said:

As opposed to your real name, Cutcobra?  :tongue:

On 10/16/2016 at 5:36 PM, Zepher said:

As opposed to your real name, Cutcobra?  :tongue:

Who's Cutcobra? :pir-laugh: