Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

Oh wow... I've been really busy after the forum switch, and this is what I return to. *huh* Got to say I'm sad to see everything all messy and spacey... Well, I hope the forum switch is a good thing in the long run, since the old editing system wasn't working well at all. 

Anyway, I want to announce the cancellation of the previously announced faction events. I simply don't have the time or the energy for what it takes, as much as I would have wanted to host them. :cry_sad: 

Thus, as soon as Quest#148 is finished, I am officially stepping down from the game manager's position. What will become of this game after that, I honestly don't know. I haven't heard back from Dragonator yet.

No matter what, it's been amazing! :wub:

10 hours ago, Flipz said:

If I get time, I might see about manually rebuilding the first post of the Hero Stats topic for Sandy, since the general structure for internal links has changed; I'm not sure why the old-style link for Arthur in my signature properly redirects while the one for Zanna did not, but it's probably a good idea to start looking for internal links in Quests themselves and fixing them as well, otherwise they'll make no sense now. :hmpf_bad:

There was an update to the forums some years ago which seems to make all the difference. I noticed how the links became different back then, but I don't know exactly why.

Anyway, it seems all the content from before that update are unaffected by this format-disaster, but everything after that is a mess.

5 hours ago, samuraiturtle said:

At least you are seeing a signature. I don't think they started half the stuff for the "mobile version". :hmpf_bad: 

Yeah, I stopped trying to view the site on my phone.

5 hours ago, Sandy said:

Oh wow... I've been really busy after the forum switch, and this is what I return to. *huh* Got to say I'm sad to see everything all messy and spacey... Well, I hope the forum switch is a good thing in the long run, since the old editing system wasn't working well at all. 

Anyway, I want to announce the cancellation of the previously announced faction events. I simply don't have the time or the energy for what it takes, as much as I would have wanted to host them. :cry_sad: 

Thus, as soon as Quest#148 is finished, I am officially stepping down from the game manager's position. What will become of this game after that, I honestly don't know. I haven't heard back from Dragonator yet.

There was an update to the forums some years ago which seems to make all the difference. I noticed how the links became different back then, but I don't know exactly why.

Anyway, it seems all the content from before that update are unaffected by this format-disaster, but everything after that is a mess.

Your guiding hand will be sorely missed Sandy.  I know I came late to the party, but I have very much enjoyed the show.  Perhaps some of our own "veterans" could step up to keep things running.

I found a pretty useful shortcut in my complete desperation need to fix 150's stats. In the newer versions of MS Word there's a 'Replace' feature letting you search a document and replace (or in this case simply remove) certain phrases - removing bold, italics, underline, etc, is very easy. The only thing it can't wipe out in an instant is color codes.

This means an update is coming 150, sorry for the wait but I knew this task was going to take a while. :laugh:

6 hours ago, Sandy said:

Aw, that's sad to hear. As you know, you've done a great job with this game for five years. You certainly deserve a break.

The Righteous Hand (Vindicators in the party can use any of the oaths in the wearer’s inventory, handwear, suitable for vindicators)

This is a really awesome Artifact, can it be a thing added to the Marketplace as the Vindicator Class Artifact a la the Witch's Talisman/Hunter's Quiver/etc.?

Good to see that old topics are readable again.  The stats are a total mess in them, but the dialogue and pictures have returned, which is a big ol' thumbs up from me.  

On 9/25/2016 at 3:13 AM, Sandy said:

:cry_sad:  Thanks for everything!

On 9/25/2016 at 1:13 AM, Sandy said:

I know I haven't commented on this despite the announcement before now, and honestly a lot of it's coming from not having the words to say.

The time and effort and dedication you've had for this game over the years is nothing short of superhuman.  I don't think I'm alone in saying that pretty much everything I've contributed to this game and its world, particularly in the field of QMing, has been an attempt to honor and live up to the legacy you've created, to try to come even remotely close to your standard of quality.

I'm going to miss your guidance, your creativity, your devotion to detail.  We're all going to miss it.

Thank you.  If there's anything I can do to help support what you've created, anything at all, just say the word.  Your work is far too good to let it just disappear.  In the meantime, enjoy your newfound freedom, and I hope that one day you'll be able to return, even if it's just once in a blue moon. :classic:

On 9/23/2016 at 4:53 PM, Darkdragon said:

click Edit and save

An additional word of warning: Doing this might break any and all links in the post you edit (only on old posts from before the upgrade). Always use preview before saving and be ready to fix the links. They will still look like links, but they will point to the thread you are in and not to the original destination.

On 9/24/2016 at 2:14 AM, Flipz said:

Bad news for everyone: BBCode support is dead

It's not completely dead yet. You can still use the basic BBCode most users already had access to, and most old threads should eventually be looking mostly ok again when the scripts are complete.  You can still manually type out BBCode as well, but it's really unnecessary and more work than needed if you have any sort of rich text editor you can copy/paste from. Of course, if you want to keep your code clean you can do it manually and it will render correctly.

I suppose it might be worth asking... How many people are legitimately interested in hosting and playing in quests after Sandy steps down as game manager? Heroica will no doubt be different, but I'm thinking if there's enough interest we can at least wrap up the main story (assuming it isn't completely finished by the end of 148). As far as the general manager stuff that he does like approving quest pitches and loot, we could take a panel approach with all the players and/or maybe a "council" of select people who have been around for a while and know the game well. Those people could also be given mod powers for this sub-forum to update important topics and such.

As far as the story goes, I guess that's mainly Sandy's creative "property" but would it be appropriate if we all somehow tried to finish it? What do you think, Sandy? 

I'm not even really sure if it's necessary/wanted to wrap up the story or if it would just be better to let quests be hosted as they come and let Heroica either continue on that path or let it fizzle out. But we're all playing this game so it's worth talking about how we want to handle it from here on out.

I want to continue as well. I think there's still quite a bit of story left in people, and I for one would like to see it continue as long as we can.

I know around last year or so there were quite a bit of us shooting ideas of a sci-fi game once Heroica ended.

I still want to finish Duplovia. It's been slow going, and I don't really know how many people are interested in it - but it's a story that's weighed on me a while and I'd like to see it completed.

3 hours ago, JimBee said:

I suppose it might be worth asking... How many people are legitimately interested in hosting and playing in quests after Sandy steps down as game manager? Heroica will no doubt be different, but I'm thinking if there's enough interest we can at least wrap up the main story (assuming it isn't completely finished by the end of 148). As far as the general manager stuff that he does like approving quest pitches and loot, we could take a panel approach with all the players and/or maybe a "council" of select people who have been around for a while and know the game well. Those people could also be given mod powers for this sub-forum to update important topics and such.

As far as the story goes, I guess that's mainly Sandy's creative "property" but would it be appropriate if we all somehow tried to finish it? What do you think, Sandy? 

I'm not even really sure if it's necessary/wanted to wrap up the story or if it would just be better to let quests be hosted as they come and let Heroica either continue on that path or let it fizzle out. But we're all playing this game so it's worth talking about how we want to handle it from here on out.

1 hour ago, KotZ said:

I want to continue as well. I think there's still quite a bit of story left in people, and I for one would like to see it continue as long as we can.

I know around last year or so there were quite a bit of us shooting ideas of a sci-fi game once Heroica ended.

45 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

I still want to finish Duplovia. It's been slow going, and I don't really know how many people are interested in it - but it's a story that's weighed on me a while and I'd like to see it completed.

I'm very interested in continuing.  Part of the reason I'm so excited about my upcoming Quests is because of some of the info Sandy gave me all the way back in 104 on the Wolfgang; I've only seen small glimpses, but the information I do have has me excited for the chance to express Sandy's vision for the Wolfgang through the characters I'm using, through the series of Quests I have planned.  In fact, on the subject of 104, one of my great joys in hosting that Quest was being able to introduce some of Sandy's ideas that Sandy himself had not yet had the chance to premiere.  I think that with Sandy's help and permission, we very much can carry on some of that vision, if only we have the courage to ask. :classic:

In fact, on the subject of upcoming Quests...how about a sneak preview? :wink:

26675933642_6601422cec_c.jpg

Very nice, Flipz. Are you using LDD into Bluerender and then another program? Or LDD to Blender or something? I think the lamps could have a little more glow to them, though.

I want it to continue. It will ofcourse be different when Sandy steps down but we will figure something out how to continue this.

And big thank you to Sandy for this amazing story and game. :thumbup:

Flipz, that looks good and intresting. :classic:

Edited by Mencot

Thanks again for everything Sandy! You will be missed.

Going forward, I am interested in continuing as well! For now it just questing, but one day I do hope to host..

The panel approach to quests could be useful, so long as the processes does not get bogged down in processes.

We could also use this as an opportunity to start a new plot for the main story...

20 hours ago, JimBee said:

I am totally okay with people taking over the main storyline (concerning Eubric's seven houses in power). The next event in the faction topics would have concerned the three candidate kings and their entourage going to the city's neutral factions to try to get them on their side by any means necessary. I listed the factions, but I might have omitted a few:

• Blue Assassins
  • Brobric Elves 
  • Bugbear Colony *Animal talk etc. trait required
  • Cemetery Revenants  *Spiritism trait required
  • Dastanian Dragoons 
  • Dark Dwarf Clans
  • Dwarven Builders 
  • Eldritch Circle
  • Farmers of the Eubric Plains
  • Gnomes of Zylstra
  • Grumpkin Colony 
  • Imp Remnants
  • Lion Knights 
  • Magpie’s Crew
  • Merchants of the Marketplace 
  • Mercutio’s Clerkpriests
  • Merry Women of Eubric Forest
  • Mopag Confederation 
  • Nôrn Refugees 
  • Order of the Crimson Crown
  • Paladins of Ennoc
  • Pongcanis Tribes  *Animal talk etc. trait required
  • Red Assassins 
  • Seafarer’s Union 
  • Sheep Tribe
  • Sisters of Danab 
  • Spiders of Murkwood  *Animal talk etc. trait required
  • Town Watch 
  • Wigglepike’s Thespians

I really would've wanted to host this, but I just don't have the chops for it anymore. :sad:

The final event in the "War of Eubric" phase would have been a giant city-wide battle using the same hexagrid base that Brickdoctor invented, with the winning faction claiming the throne of Eubric.

Aside from that, the remaining archdemons would have been featured in three quests:

• Abraxas was meant to be in a quest about finding a husband/wife for Chesterine Ziegfried to marry. He would've struck at the wedding and taken the souls of all the Ziegfrieds as hostage. That would have concluded the current Ziegfried storyline
  • Leviathan would have appeared in the Värtland Saga as a massive whale-like demon that controlled an army of undead werefolk with the Shaman King. We already made plans for the Saga with several QMs, but they didn't quite come into fruitition.
  • Rosier was bound to appear in a quest situated in the Lost Forest concerning the war between the archdemon's Dark Druids and the fairies. Ellaria's lost daughter Elpis would have been discovered among the fairies, and The Fey One would have been revealed as Ellaria's parent. The fairies had taken Elpis because the fairy blood had been strong in her, unlike in Ellaria.

Finally, the Shadeaux/Hinckwell storyline was supposed to culminate in Nuitan and Lyren escaping to Doomsayer's Island and finding the dormant dark angel Lucifuge there. Heroes of Heroica would've followed them with Umbra and Lorcan, and gotten into an epic battle of epicness. :grin:

But yeah, those were the general thoughts and plans I had for this game. The main storyline has changed form throughout these years in my mind as I've given it time to grow and evolve throughout every quest. It has been a true pleasure to have been able to tell it to you guys in such an interactive way. :blush: Feel free to continue with it, if you still find inspiration from it.

I think it would be great for the story to be continued or at least a new "chapter" with a new storyline maybe like decades later after a revival or something.  Just some food for thought.:thumbup:

I still intend to finish up my storyline, if that's possible, but after that I don't know if people will have interest or energy for me.  I've tinkered a bit with a new game, but I don't know if there'd be interest in starting all over again either, or if Eurobricks is interested in making that happen.  My method would involve more than one "Game Master", so that this wouldn't happen.  :blush:

Sandy, thanks so much for the wonderful years.  It has been an absolute pleasure, and I'm sorry to see your time end, though I totally understand.

As long as there's new quests being submitted, I'd be happy to continue to play. I don't think there needs to be another huge story arc encompassing the entire game, just arcs like WBD, Zepher, and others have been doing for years 

On 9/26/2016 at 8:04 PM, KotZ said:

I noticed something, the main guys talking about it don't seem to be around anymore, suspicious. 

As for continuing, I am sure I will keep playing if there are quest to do. Heck, at some point I would like to host one or two. 

I kind wondering if anyone is talking about taking over for Sandy at some point. Heck does anyone here even want to do that? 

20 hours ago, Zepher said:

I still intend to finish up my storyline, if that's possible, but after that I don't know if people will have interest or energy for me.  I've tinkered a bit with a new game, but I don't know if there'd be interest in starting all over again either, or if Eurobricks is interested in making that happen.  My method would involve more than one "Game Master", so that this wouldn't happen.  :blush:

Sandy, thanks so much for the wonderful years.  It has been an absolute pleasure, and I'm sorry to see your time end, though I totally understand.

I have some basic ideas of a new game as well but I think it's difficult to overstate how much time and effort things like that involve - it's been a hell of a ride Sandy, and I don't think anyone could've done a better job driving such an enormous game single-handedly for five years while also managing mechanics, angry players, and, right, the entire main storyline all at once. :laugh:

Thanks for all the time you've put forth into this awesome experience. :thumbup:

I'm actually hosting/playing a game based off of Heroica with a group of friends.  It's a GREAT, simple yet complicated system.

Thanks for everything Sandy!  It's been a great 5 years.