They did actually give him a spinner, in that one set. It's like the training pack of this year. Good thing that most of the really rare figs from last year were ones I didn't like.

Let's hope that the 2013 sales are as ridiculously good as they have always been or better, and that LEGO continues it until summer, so that there will be enough time to cancel the cancellation.

AFAIK it takes around two years to develop a set so they would have needed to cancel the cancellation at about the same time as the theme was launched...

Edited by Mirandir

I haven't really been into Ninjago for the most part. I like the idea since I missed out on the original Ninja wave. I have been getting more into fantasy so the baddies will fit into that. The figures do look really neat and detailed, but I haven't been a strong collector.

With that said, I thought the theme was being canceled anyway, not necessarily due to poor sales. I don't know about replacement themes or any details, but unfortunately good things do come to an end. TLG probably wants to make room for soemthing new. Holding onto the Star Wars license probably makes enough money for the company to continue to make more original themes. If they didn't get rid of some of their original themes, then the same stuff would be on the shelves every part of the year and sales might become stagnant. But by mixing it up they can allow more creative ideas come to fruition. They have to hold onto some of those licenses to help fund the other side of the business.

But again with that said, some of the new Ninjago figures are neat and I may consider buying them before the theme is done.

They did actually give him a spinner, in that one set. It's like the training pack of this year. Good thing that most of the really rare figs from last year were ones I didn't like.

That's true, but I meant spinner and character card. I'm still hoping LEGO will release something like a Jay pack, with his DX cheracter card. It's one of the few Ninja I'm missing - because it doesn't exist! Or, another thing I'd really love would be pj booster packs (one for each ninja) including their hair in the correct color (plus, instead of weapons, things like toothbrushes and combes). I bet LEGO could sell something like that easy!

That's true, but I meant spinner and character card. I'm still hoping LEGO will release something like a Jay pack, with his DX cheracter card. It's one of the few Ninja I'm missing - because it doesn't exist! Or, another thing I'd really love would be pj booster packs (one for each ninja) including their hair in the correct color (plus, instead of weapons, things like toothbrushes and combes). I bet LEGO could sell something like that easy!

Or even better Garmadon in pyjama. :grin:

TMNT as the Ninjago replacement? Wow? That's just awful in so many ways. Don't get me wrong. I was a child of the 70's and 80's. I loves me some Turtles. But TLG would be going from one of their most successful self owned properties. Something that has driven current high rated TV shows, to what basically amounts to licensed drek, that these days is almost the same in feel to their original property? Why?

The license is a horrible limiter in this case. The AFOLs want classic TV turtles. The Eastmen and Baird style characters from the comics and TV show. But the kids will only know the hideous new show or this truly horrid sounding Michael Bay movie, which is what any license will require that Lego pimp. It's going to be Last Airbender all over again.

There is no way this comes off as a good business move. The Turtles would have been great 10 years ago. They would make a neat nostalgia thee for a short run. But to put them adjacent to their own colorful Ninja theme is a piss poor marketing move.

TMNT as the Ninjago replacement? Wow? That's just awful in so many ways. Don't get me wrong. I was a child of the 70's and 80's. I loves me some Turtles. But TLG would be going from one of their most successful self owned properties. Something that has driven current high rated TV shows, to what basically amounts to licensed drek, that these days is almost the same in feel to their original property? Why?

The license is a horrible limiter in this case. The AFOLs want classic TV turtles. The Eastmen and Baird style characters from the comics and TV show. But the kids will only know the hideous new show or this truly horrid sounding Michael Bay movie, which is what any license will require that Lego pimp. It's going to be Last Airbender all over again.

There is no way this comes off as a good business move. The Turtles would have been great 10 years ago. They would make a neat nostalgia thee for a short run. But to put them adjacent to their own colorful Ninja theme is a piss poor marketing move.

Again, it has NOWHERE at all been said TNMT is going to replace Ninjago. That's nothing but a rumor. There are a few hints at a TNMT theme coming next year, but that it's going to replace Ninjago is made up and, in my opinion, makes no sense.

-Gata signoff.png

Didn't Lego say the replacement theme would leave us asking why Ninjago wasn't cancelled sooner? Means it's something pretty good, so I highly doubt it's TMNT (not saying TMNT is bad, though).

Kalhiki

Didn't Lego say the replacement theme would leave us asking why Ninjago wasn't cancelled sooner? Means it's something pretty good, so I highly doubt it's TMNT (not saying TMNT is bad, though).

Kalhiki

If anything, TMNT wouldn't replace ninjago because (this has been said, I think), TMNT would be liscensed and Ninjago is not. It could be a reason for ninjago's end, but not a "replacement" per se. But the entire idea of another Ninja theme so soon. . . it seems a bit unlikely to me!

That is a good point. If they finished Ninjago for a theme that was more like the old Ninja theme it would be a bit odd. How is this any different?

I just wish we will get as a final feature for Ninjago fans a special "Spinner Customiser", where you could make your own (ninja) figure out of a couple of premade designs in a few colors, choose the color combination and symbol for your spinner, build some weapons out of basic parts and make a character card and choose a couple of basic cards to add to your spinner pack.

I just wish we will get as a final feature for Ninjago fans a special "Spinner Customiser", where you could make your own (ninja) figure out of a couple of premade designs in a few colors, choose the color combination and symbol for your spinner, build some weapons out of basic parts and make a character card and choose a couple of basic cards to add to your spinner pack.

That would be nice, but I realy can't see LEGO doing anything like that. Too complicated for them!

If anything, TMNT wouldn't replace ninjago because (this has been said, I think), TMNT would be liscensed and Ninjago is not. It could be a reason for ninjago's end, but not a "replacement" per se. But the entire idea of another Ninja theme so soon. . . it seems a bit unlikely to me!

LotR replaced Castle on the shelves for at least the short term. PotC replaced Pirates. Star Wars pretty effectively took classic Space off the shelves for almost 7 years. In recent years TLG seems to be giving priority of the license over the in house themes in many areas.

Edited by Faefrost

Here's hoping they turn that around and in the future will only produce LEGO's own themes. Ninjago has proven that it's possible to do that and make it a succes. I mean, Ninjago was more of a succes than SW, which has been LEGO's big seller for years.

Here's hoping they turn that around and in the future will only produce LEGO's own themes. Ninjago has proven that it's possible to do that and make it a succes. I mean, Ninjago was more of a succes than SW, which has been LEGO's big seller for years.

Heard! =D

I'm thankful for the huge success that City remains, and which Ninjago and Friends have turned out to be. Those are the kind of themes that gives me hope that Lego isn't diving head first into the licenses and leaving original themes (which I think is what most of us prefer them to spend their energy and ideas on) a thing of the past. =)

Sadly, the fanbase for Lego SW is much larger than for most of it's original themes (not counting City) combined.

Sadly, the fanbase for Lego SW is much larger than for most of it's original themes (not counting City) combined.

I can live with that. I don't mind them having successful licenses, I just hope they'll keep their focus on the original themes. =)

Nah! We want a balanced mix. The licensed stuff has its place. Lego Star Wars, Batman and Marvel etc are or can be great. The issue is we don't want the licensed stuff to overwhelm or grossly displace the more creative designed Lego in house themes.

LotR replaced Castle on the shelves for at least the short term. PotC replaced Pirates. Star Wars pretty effectively took classic Space off the shelves for almost 7 years. In recent years TLG seems to be giving priority of the license over the in house themes in many areas.

SW? Didn't TLG just come out with Alien Conquest? If that's not "classic space", then they also just had a space City subtheme. OK, LotR did replace castle, but I doubt that will last long. PotC - well, pirates had already been gone for a while. Licensed themes that "replace" non-licensed don't seem to have a tendacy to stick around very long. . . :wink:

He means years before, from Life on Mars to Mars mission.

OK, I wasn't around then (at Life on Mars, didn't even know there was such a theme). :tongue:

Edited by Kai NRG

^-^^ You poor souls. Thy were fantastic!

Back on topic.

Regarding "replacement themes" SW was out during the run of four great selling (for non-licensed themes)Space series (and soon, possibly, five), three of which (two that actually released) were going for two years.

It is the same for LotR, Kingdoms Joust and Medieval Market Village still sell like mad, even though MMV has been out for almost 5 years! And then with that you see both Castle and Kingdoms with coinciding releases.

So, if TMNT and Ninjago are planned for a simultaneous release, it shouldn't effect things THAT much. It's been a proven method of TLG for years, and people don't see that situations like this are playing out right in front of them!

And for the tally of Space themes: Life on Mars, Mars Mission*, Space Police*, and Alien Conquest*#

*=Two waves planned

#=cancelled after initial wave