Hmm, interesting. I hope we'll see a combination of futuristic technology with dinosaurs.

I missed the previous theme, and it looked interesting. If the human vehicles had a more futuristic look (black and blue, perhaps?), this would be a good theme. Not too futuristic of course, lasers are probably a bit too much. The overall look should be something like the Alien Conquest vehicles.

I like the idea of an alien conquest prehistoric setting. Highly unlikely but would be fun. Aliens capturing Dinosaurs and a time travelling ADU team. :drool:

I give you Dominion, potentially the coolest movie ever made, the movie that will finally give us the battle of all apocalyptic battles: not Batman vs. Superman, not Ninjas vs. Pirates, but DINOSAURS VS. ALIENS!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it needs that many exclamation points.

dino-alien-small.jpg

Of course, it could completely suck. But I think not. It's being developed by Barry Sonnenfeld and Grant Morrison, both of whom have pretty good records at delivering Awesomesauce.

ETA: damn, it was so much cooler when the image worked. Well, if you Google "Dominion dinosaurs" you'll find the beautiful concept art that I have as my desktop background right now.

Edited by Gryphon Ink

*oh2* Can't wait to see how this turns out. The only concern for me is the pricing... :sceptic:

It would be nice if it was a Dino-friendly theme. Nothing of this moronic hunting & trapping.

More like Dinosaur the movie.

Like duplo had the dino's all smiling and friendly :)

Edited by horizon

It would be nice if it was a Dino-friendly theme. Nothing of this moronic hunting & trapping.

More like Dinosaur the movie.

Like duplo had the dino's all smiling and friendly :)

That's an idea. Some people complain that humans vs aliens themes are a bit prejudiced, but in the case of dinosaurs, that's pretty justified considering they did exist in real life.

...However, that said, smiling dinosaurs probably won't work. A bit less "hunting" and more "studying" would be nice in this theme.

No smiling dinos, please.

Neutral expressions allow for more versatility. "Imagination" and all that.

No smiling dinos, please.

Neutral expressions allow for more versatility. "Imagination" and all that.

ehm... the first lego minifig face had a smile, they still do. Did that stop imagination?

ehm... the first lego minifig face had a smile, they still do. Did that stop imagination?

Well, I think smiles on dinosaurs would become a bit uncanny-valley for my liking. Also, I'd prefer neutral expressions since they'd be more compatible with other LEGO animals in that way. There could still be slight smiles like this head piece, but nothing too much more "cartoony" than that.

I'm not sure dinosaurs were even capable of smiling...

But the general idea of a non-violent dinosaur theme is a good one, just rather unlikely. Like all dino-related themes before it this new one probably involves people hunting dinosaurs and vice versa.

Depending on the setting of the theme, we may even get new ancient plants. I'm guessing (hoping!) that they may try for a primeval jungle setting.

I'd also be interested to see if Lego would tackle molding a giant sauropod, they seem to have avoided those in previous themes. Well, except for 6719, but that's hardly a proper brachiosaurus as its the same size as all the other figures!

I think based on the description that the theme would look like toys I found a while ago but never bought any since I'm a Lego guy. Anyway they're called

-Dino Valley

-Dino Quest (how ironic since some people said it would be called like this :classic:)

-Dino World

Here's a few examples:

Lontic_Dino_Valley_Mega_Tracker_Playset.jpeg

dv2_mh_2.jpg

They're all based on the same concept, dino's are once here on earth and people in their vehicles need to capture them. If you look some of the sets up I think it would be possible for Lego to release similar concepts. It is in fact like TLG previous theme's only in the modern world rather than the 30s or the near future.

I think, looking at the previous themes, and the description given about this theme that it will mostly look like this, although we all need to wait for pics to appear :laugh:

PS: Just wishfull thinking but I would love a Spinosaurus :grin:

Edited by Brickviller

Here's a few examples:

My breathing just returned to normal speed. For a split-second (literally) I thought those were preliminary pictures you found. :look:

Back on topic, the theme could be a peaceful one, since it seems to be called 'Dino' rather than Dino Attack/Conquest/Destruction, but the name will probably change anyway.

We should get preliminary pics' any day now.

EDIT: 'Dinotopia'! Thanks Vertea, I've been trying to remember the name of that show for weeks!

Edited by LandShark

What about a Caveman like theme, Dino's and Cavemen!

I tought Duplo did that, but I don't think they will release something like that. Almost every non-city theme is about conflict, because that's more profitable. But since there no pics yet we can expect almost everything

Wait a minute.....

Lego Dinosaurs......

Lego Marvel Superheroes.....

OMG I CAN MAKE A LEGO "SAVAGE LAND!"

So many people have had such great ideas in this topic (and the Ninjago 2012 topic), that I think whatever the theme turns out to be, it won't be as good as a lot of the ideas here.

Perhaps a 'Design a Theme' contest is in order. :wink:

And it feels like I've said this 100 times already, but we should get preliminary pictures any day now...

So many people have had such great ideas in this topic (and the Ninjago 2012 topic), that I think whatever the theme turns out to be, it won't be as good as a lot of the ideas here.

Perhaps a 'Design a Theme' contest is in order. :wink:

And it feels like I've said this 100 times already, but we should get preliminary pictures any day now...

Believe you me: It's what we're ALL thinking right now.... soon... so very soon...

I just hope people try to keep in mind that whatever LEGO does for the Dino theme, it may very well be not what we were expecting or even hoping for. I just don't want this topic to be turned into a flame war when we get pix

This sounds cool, there are too many options on the table though.

Caveman and Dinosaurs (more realistic [for lack of a better word] version)

Caveman and Dinosaurs ( more fantasy version)

Exploration (like the JT theme was like)

Dino Attack version.

but wait a minute the frontpage clearly gives us some major clues. It is Jurassic Park style (maybe a Dino theme park type thing)

Each set has a vehicle and cage to catch dinosaurs, yeah it is going to be like Dino attack + exploration

Edited by Macoco

This sounds cool, there are too many options on the table though.

Caveman and Dinosaurs (more realistic [for lack of a better word] version)

Caveman and Dinosaurs ( more fantasy version)

Exploration (like the JT theme was like)

Dino Attack version.

but wait a minute the frontpage clearly gives us some major clues. It is Jurassic Park style (maybe a Dino theme park type thing)

Each set has a vehicle and cage to catch dinosaurs, yeah it is going to be like Dino attack + exploration

well it really depends on how well mirandir remembered what he saw. I mean, he said the snake people from ninjago had legs, but then what of those tail bits we saw?

Sidebar... I was at Target (large general store in the US) yesterday and in the toy area there was a display case for some toys where it was like dinosaurs fitted with saddles and helmets and maybe lasers. It made me think of these toys I had as a kid called DinoRiders. But it wasn't using that brand name. Sorry, I didn't pay much closer attention than that. (P.S. I also noticed a bunch of new DC comics action figures in a display case too.)

You know, sometimes there are trends in the toy world. So it will be interesting to see what Lego does with their dinosaur treatment. Will it be faction versus faction like Atlantis? Maybe the humans will live peacefully with the dinosaurs. Maybe the humans will be "cavemen" like we've seen in the CMF line.

well it really depends on how well mirandir remembered what he saw. I mean, he said the snake people from ninjago had legs, but then what of those tail bits we saw?

Some people speculated that the snake tails could be for "elite" snakemen, just like the "elite" skeletons got unique head pieces in this wave of Ninjago.

But I agree, reports from one person don't necessarily give us well-rounded expectations, because one person's first impressions of preliminary images might be different than somebody else's. Remember that the first reports of Ninjago led us to expect vividly-colored ninjas in colors like orange and purple, whereas the actual theme's ninja colors had about the same level of normality as the 1998 Ninja theme.

I wouldn't mind a "cavemen-and-dinosaurs" theme. The duplo one was pretty cool, although admittedly a System one would be designed for older kids and thus might have more sophisticated story situations rather than innocent open-ended play where the dinosaurs can be friends, foes, or just bystanders. Not saying there's anything wrong with that.

Edited by Aanchir

Ah yes I remember reading that now but I let my excitement run wild with one of my posts :laugh:. This can go many ways as well post apoc or more Jurassic park style. With a more post apoc style we could get mutant dinos. Whatever it is I hope the dinos are brick built.

I could deal with just about any variation of the Dino theme EXCEPT for "Cavemen and Dinosaurs". Give me time travellers, Jurassic Park, Dinos vs. Aliens, or a Lost World explorers scenario - those are all respectable science fiction stories that I could really get behind. Cavemen and Dinos isn't science fiction, it's just getting the science wrong.

I know it's silly of me to want scientific accuracy in a Lego action theme, and I don't expect that every detail will be totally plausible. But I want a theme that will be at least a little bit more realistic than the Flintstones.

Why couldn't they be time traveling cavemen?

You know, I thought about that for a long time. I'm a fantasy and horror writer, so I spend a lot of time dreaming up implausible scenarios and trying to make them work. I grant you it's just as plausible as time-travelling moderns, and I think I'd be okay with a scenario that presented the cavemen in the theme as accidental time travellers. If it's explained that that's how they are in the same time frame as the dinosaurs. (The other possibility is that the dinos are time travellers). I just wouldn't be cool with a theme that just presented them as naturally living together, a la Flintstones or One Million Years BC.

This will be a huge hit or miss for me.

Pharaoh Quest guys + normal dinosaurs sort of like the adventurers sub theme= HIT!

Rehash of Dino Quest/Dino 2010 with lasers, mutant dinosaurs and futuristic vehicles= MISS!