I almost fell over with excitement when I saw this thread. Dino Attack (poxy name given to the Australian release) was awesome. I just hope they put a little more work into the dinosaurs this time...

A new dinosaur-based theme is the best news I've heard all week. I wonder what the dinos will look like though...

I hope they're at least semi realistic, resembling actual dinosaurs rather than the mutant monstrosities from Dino Attack/2010. TLC's earlier attempts were only so-so; the dino island saurians were well molded but way too small, and the 2001 transforming dinos were just weird looking.

I hope they get it right this time!

Huh, I was actually hoping for something like the 2001 theme. http://peeron.com/inv/sets/6720-1

I greatly prefer that to the Dino Island style. http://peeron.com/inv/parts/30457c01

I think the 2001 ones were great for customizing monsters. My only suggestion would be to make them all in the same color so that the parts would be more interchangable.

That's the exact reaction I had to having American children referred to as 'violent and bloodthirsty rugrats'.

Thank you. Peppermint M, look, nothing personal, I love being a member of this site, and I don't wanna get in bad standing with the mods. BUT: I think I can tell you that's outta line, because you're my peer, and it is. There's no reason the mention of a alternate, just as legitimate version of a TOY should make you say something like that about fellow human beings. Come on, global village here, play nice. I think the rugrats would be shocked.

eh, looks like you already tackled it. no worries.

I can see where you're coming from, but you must understand the difference between passive American stereotyping (annoying as it is) and referencing ongoing tragic events that very well could have affected some people here. I am also American and I would not describe myself as a bloodthirsty rugrat, yet I don't really think your comment was warranted.

Both comments were ugly, and I don't think "passive" is the right word.

It was a negative stereotype against Americans; We the People are not some barbarian culture that truly promotes violence.

But you're absolutely right. there is a difference between talking about glorifying imaginary violence and talking about actual violence. And people need to be sensitive to real rising violence anywhere. Though I don't think he actually ever mentioned recent senseless attacks but just that it's not a uniquely American problem, but a world problem. Just a pointing out of failing to follow the timeless advice of the one without fault throwing the first stone.

I really don't know about this theme. The "moulded dinosaurs" bit is putting me off, i think. :sceptic: Now if they are going to be brick built like the Ninjago dragons, i'd be much more enthusiastic. One thing's for sure, they are going to have to be pretty awesome sets to match what the PQ line has given us this year!

Finally, on topic

That's what I'm thinking. The dino 2010/attack dinos were not in any way decent. I'm ok with special molds if they're just spicing up lots of good widely useful parts. I'm not ok with multilayered, glued and bolted, overshaped, underconnectible, galidor-esque junk.

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

I actually preferred the old dino island theme. The Dino-figs were excellent and the whole look had that authentic adventureres feel. Dino 2010 was... not bad, as far as the good guys were concerned, but the dinosaurs were AWFUL! Largely unusable parts, <insert that tiresome argument> mutant dinos and unposable raptors. The dinos LOOKED cool in their own right, but without the ability to reuse any of their parts into most MOCs, the idea just fell flat. I would like to see dinos with some new kind of ultra-customizable body idea and parts that can not only be interchanged, but used with traditional creature builds as well. And smaller critters like the raptors should have a body type that utilizes the clip system that the Ninjago skellies use, only more dino-y.

This certainly is great news! :thumbup:

The Dino 2010 theme, despite its shortcomings, gave us a large variety of very useful parts and colors both for vehicles and for minifigures.

Seeing as how modern Lego designs are way smoother and tend to be more classically oriented (as opposed to having "junior-sized" parts) These sets could be a treasure trove of useful bits. :sweet:

As far as the dinosaurs themselves, we will have to wait and see, but for the last 2 years I have not been disappointed in a single action theme when it comes to new molds, so I say let them at us! :grin: I would be curious to see what time period this happens in; it is quite plausible that this is a sequel to "Pharaoh's Quest", with a new name to reflect the new location. That would be great (however unlikely) :thumbup:

I can't make the connection between Pharoahs Quest and Dino 2012. I know Adventurers did a Dino series but why would the Quest team also do one?

It's this whole trapping and capturing Dinosaurs thing that bothers me. Jake Raines and company are treasure hunters not trappers and hunters. I could see an adventure into a lost world inhabited by Dinosaurs to seek some rare relics but I'm not getting how or why they'd want to cage Dinosaurs. I suppose the Dinosaurs themselves could be the rare relics but that seems a little weak as a story.

That's one of the things that bothered me about the Dino Island theme, it didn't even make sense for the adventurers who were treasure hunters themselves. I think their excuse was that they were capturing the dinos in the name of science as their base was called the "Research Compound". The Quest team is lead by an archeologist too, so they could go for the same story. But since their Pharaoh adventure was more about saving the world than making a profit, I think they could also say that the dinosaurs are threatening the world somehow, similar to how they did in the Dino 2010/Attack theme.

I for one don't think that this will be a PQ sequel though. I'm sure Graham from All About The Bricks would have mentioned something about that if it were. Instead, I think it will be its own theme like Dino 2010, but with less of a military/Apoc theme. I hope the dinosaurs will have more of a look like the ones from the Dinosuars theme, but with more posability.

Hope it's proper Dinosaurs like Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, Apatosaurus, Oviraptor, Gigantoraptor, Giraffatitan, Velociraptor, Plesiosaur, Iguanodon, Tyrannosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Pteranodon and a Pachycephalosaur. A proper good mix.

You expect TLC to mold all that for what is likely to be just another one-off theme? :wacko:

What do they mean by moulded?

Simply that they're not brick-built like the ones from the Jurassic Park, Dinosaurs, and Creator themes were. So anyone hoping for these to be brick-built should probably not get their hopes up.

Just a side note, that was a bit much Pep. I think adding said smiley face would've been better suited after that comment, instead of the bottom of your post. I have, however, read many a posts by you, and have never heard an I'll word leave your fingers, so I know that was a bit abnormal from you.

She says similar things about Star Wars fans sometimes... :sadnew: But let's not get into that right now.

Until promotional material surfaces, Dino 2012 is fine as the theme is about Dinosaurs and it comes out in 2012 (Heck, it could just be called "Dino").

Well, the source of the rumor says that it is simply called "Dino"; I just added the 2012 to the title just to differentiate it from the previous Dino themes. You can re-title the thread if you want.

Huh, I was actually hoping for something like the 2001 theme. http://peeron.com/inv/sets/6720-1

I greatly prefer that to the Dino Island style. http://peeron.com/inv/parts/30457c01

I think the 2001 ones were great for customizing monsters. My only suggestion would be to make them all in the same color so that the parts would be more interchangable.

That's actually a great point- those dinosaurs were indeed good for customizing monsters, but as far as looking like actual dinosaurs went, they fell a bit short.

This is the central problem with the interchangeable parts system of that line, the pieces did many jobs, but few of them well.

We don't have interchangeable universal parts for cows horses etc., so I would hope not to see them used for dinosaurs in this new line.

But maybe that's just because I'm a bit of a finicky paleontologist at heart...

I don't think this will be a PQ sequel. The animals in PQ were brick-built, and the ones in the Dino 2012 are rumored to be moulded. It doesn't fit to me, but it might to others and TLG.

I can't make the connection between Pharoahs Quest and Dino 2012. I know Adventurers did a Dino series but why would the Quest team also do one?

It's this whole trapping and capturing Dinosaurs thing that bothers me. Jake Raines and company are treasure hunters not trappers and hunters. I could see an adventure into a lost world inhabited by Dinosaurs to seek some rare relics but I'm not getting how or why they'd want to cage Dinosaurs. I suppose the Dinosaurs themselves could be the rare relics but that seems a little weak as a story.

Think more along the lines of "King Kong" as inspiration...trapping the dinos to showcase/sell for big-time 'treasure' (profit).

*shrug* Just a thought.

I don't think this will be a PQ sequel. The animals in PQ were brick-built, and the ones in the Dino 2012 are rumored to be moulded. It doesn't fit to me, but it might to others and TLG.

Okay, one correction: I keep seeing "the animals in PQ were brick built"...umm...no, they weren't. They aren't "animals"...they are STATUES that are magically brought to life. That's why they look like...STATUES! LOL Whole different ballgame from living, breathing, organic-based dinosaurs.

Unless they saw high def versions of the pictures of the sets, rather than the usual small shot of the retailer's catalog, I don't think it is easy to predict the amount of pieces used in a dinosaur. Atlantis' monsters were pretty smooth and they are brick-built.

Just wanted to interject about Dino Attack/Dino 2010 that given the (IMO) greater complexity of Dino Attack set designs, with lots of functions and so forth, I really think that it was designed first and Dino 2010 was a "watered-down" version sold in places where the more violent themes of Dino Attack weren't appreciated. This is just how I perceived it of course, and it could be my violent American bias speaking, but the lack of complex action features in Dino 2010 made it feel more to me like features had been removed from the Dino Attack sets for many foreign markets, rather than guns and weapons being carelessly pasted onto more peaceful set designs.

Now, I was no huge fan of Dino Attack's story. I liked the set designs with their oversized, militaristic vehicles, and I liked both themes' gritty military-like minifigures. But liking the set designs and liking the story are two different things, and if anything it felt like the dinosaurs themselves were an afterthought; an "acceptable target" chosen so that TLG would have an excuse to have a military theme without the damning implications of human-versus-human conflict.

The design of the dinosaurs was OK, but they were overly detailed IMO, and they looked too alien to really be used as real dinosaurs without the mutations and whatnot the theme used as an excuse for their weird appearances. In terms of specialization, they reminded me uncomfortably of Mega Bloks.

I hope the theme also resembles the 2001 theme in some ways. The 2001 Dinosaur sets were kind of awkward in terms of posability, and there really wasn't that much play potential for me since I couldn't identify with the dinosaurs, and there were no "human" characters to interact with the dinosaurs, let alone a reason for them to do so when humans and dinosaurs never coexisted in real life.

At the same time, I loved some design attributes of the 2001 Dinosaurs. Although sculpted with unusual angles and specialized body parts, the angular, carved style of the dinosaurs really felt appropriate alongside other LEGO animal sculpts, and so I much appreciated these molds being used in so many later sets (most outstandingly, for the elephants in the Orient Expedition theme).

I don't want to see these particular molds (at least, not all of them) back in the new theme because of their limited posability, and also because I prefer printed eyes to sculpted ones in pretty much all situations. Limbs that use the same Knights' Kingdom-style joints as Dino Attack dinosaurs would be much better in my opinion, although preferably simpler in design, with anti-studs on the bottom to connect to baseplates and scenery.

These are just my hopes. Without a list of sets or any pictures, it's too early to develop more than hopes-- certainly, I don't have any concrete expectations, and it could very well be that this theme is just a Dino Attack redux. But dinosaurs are an idea worth revisiting, so I hope TLG manages to improve on all their past dinosaur themes this time around.

Man, oh man....

I had almost forgotten about the 2001 dinosaurs... I had the mosasaurus and the black version from the Mutant killer whale set from the agents theme, but unfortunately lost ALL of the parts.

The thing I liked was the look. They looked and felt like the Dino Island dinosaurs, but had the pose-ability that I desired, but unfortunately, they were made up of parts that were unusable outside of that building scheme. I would like to see something similar, but with connection points that can be utilized in other building styles, though I would like a joints system that isn't as clunky as the clicky joints, bt not as loose and unorganic as the ball joints.

Dear god... what am I asking!?

For that matter, what are we all asking??

Much as my above comment was true to my feelings toward my expectations and hopes, I think we may all be jumping the bus and asking for too much. At this point I can guarantee that we'll all be at the very least moderately disappointed when we see the preliminaries. Much as it's healthy to desire, I think we oughta take a moment and try not to think on the subject of dinosaur molds....

On the other hand, I think talk of vehicles and sets in general might do us some good.

For example, can we expect ruins, modern-day cities, post-apoc, or even jungle scenery? Maybe it will be a dinosaur planet similar to the Ice Planet theme?

Personally, I'm hoping for a sort of lost world idea with all kinds of exotic prehistoric monsters and gigantic bugs and carnivorous plants.

That prehistoric world idea sounds great. Maybe some giant dragonflies or centipedes...

I do wonder what time period this theme will be set in; the present, the future or the thirties (If tied to PQ, which is admittedly unlikely).

I do wonder what time period this theme will be set in; the present, the future or the thirties (If tied to PQ, which is admittedly unlikely).

It'd be so much cooler if it were set in prehistoric times, with Flintstones-like "vehicles" and lots of cave men minifigs. Although that seems unlikely. Personally I wish they'd stuck with Egyptian sets, I would love an army of Anubis warriors.

Well, I'm excited!

I'm happy to finally see a non-violent dinosaur theme! Loved the concept of Dino Island, and hopefully this will be an improved version of that. I was never really a fan of Dino Attacks sub-par apocalyptic theme and mutant freak-o-saurs, and I'm really hoping that these molded dinosaurs are closer to the updated dragons in style. Still very much "classic LEGO" in look, but with updated printing, scale, and pose-ability.

I'll second the hope for 2001-style dinosaurs, since I actually quite enjoyed them and they did a great job of looking realistic while still feeling like LEGO. But to be honest, I'm far less interested in the dinosaurs as I am in the theme itself. Is it going to be largely vehicular or more playset-style? Has anybody considered that this is the replacement theme for Alien Conquest (though I certainly hope it isn't)?

Edited by Algernon

Maybe it will be postapocalyptic like Maga blocks Dragon univerce though not postapocalyptic.

With factions using different armoured dinos. or is it another quest sub them?

Edited by LEGOMAN132

Much as it's healthy to desire, I think we oughta take a moment and try not to think on the subject of dinosaur molds....

On the other hand, I think talk of vehicles and sets in general might do us some good.

You're very right. :thumbup:

Everyone's so busy wondering about the dinosaur molds, we seem to have forgotten the sets will contain other things.

Just for a minute, lets assume it is a continuation of 'Quest. Do you think they would stay with the vehicle's dark red colour scheme? The old Dino 2010/Attack sets were dark red too, but I'm not sure if that means Lego would want to use a different colour. :sceptic:

For example, can we expect ruins, modern-day cities, post-apoc, or even jungle scenery? Maybe it will be a dinosaur planet similar to the Ice Planet theme?

I hadn't thought about that, this could even be the next space theme. Imagine, Astronauts VS. Dinosaurs. :wink:

It'd be so much cooler if it were set in prehistoric times, with Flintstones-like "vehicles" and lots of cave men minifigs. Although that seems unlikely.

It would be cool if we finally got a Caveman Theme, no matter how historically inaccurate. But I agree, it does seem unlikely.

Edited by LandShark

I just hope so much this theme will be like Jurassic Park, as a kid they were my favorite movies and I loved Lego dino's for that reason. I hope it will be not all vehicles and dino's like PQ but also some small buildings or plants. And please no rehash of Dino 2010, I liked it but the sets and the dino's looked kinda akward together in one scene. I hope the sets have at least a better colorscheme. I just can't wait to see pics of these sets :laugh:

I like the idea of an alien conquest prehistoric setting. Highly unlikely but would be fun. Aliens capturing Dinosaurs and a time travelling ADU team. :drool:

I'm probably not going to buy the Dino sets. Though if the Dinosaurs look cool I'll have to buy those from BL to furnish a natural history wing in my city museum. I'd love to be able to buy multiple themes but with my budget so tight I have to pick one and pretty much stick to it. :distressed:

Oh hay! What if we get some sort of Dinotopia-esque theme?

Not Dinotopia exactly, but similar.

Perhaps we'll get two factions?

Regular explorers/adventurers/whatever and the natives/dinosaur tamers/dino riders?

or maybe more creature figs? Like dinosaur people? I just hope they don't so that whole cavemen-and-dinos thing. That bugs me hugely.

Perhaps we'll get two factions?

Regular explorers/adventurers/whatever and the natives/dinosaur tamers/dino riders?

That would actually be pretty cool. I'm intrigued by this theme, mostly because it's pretty rare that we really don't know what to expect... for example, when Space Police 3 and Alien Conquest were announced, it was pretty obvious that we would be seeing vehicle-heavy multi-faction themes. When Pharoah's Quest was announced, it was logical to assume that we would be seeing Adventurer's-like playsets, in the vein of Indiana Jones.

But I really don't know what this will look like. The possibilities are almost staggering. I kind of hope they don't go with the sci-fi route, since that's been done to death. I'd love to see a Prehistoric theme.

It'd be so much cooler if it were set in prehistoric times, with Flintstones-like "vehicles" and lots of cave men minifigs. Although that seems unlikely. Personally I wish they'd stuck with Egyptian sets, I would love an army of Anubis warriors.

I would love that!!!! :blush:

Maybe it will be like that new show, Taranova, where the humans of the future go back in time and start a settlement in prehistoric times and fight dinos. I frankly have no idea. :tongue: