Totally random, but it seems the Lego crew failed the CGI of the HQ's box. The T-Rex's tail is in front of the gate, when the dino is clearly behind it.

[pic]

Just thought I'd point it out :tongue:

Wow! Nice find!

I think that there will be two polybags for Dino by the end of the year, but they'll probably be two vehicles.

I'd agree with you on this point. In the 80's when the original space range came out there were no comics, cartoons and obviously no web for us to base stories on. This then made me and my brothers create our own stories based on the sets (a couple of star ships, a base and some smaller pieces). This went on for years and expanded as the ranges did.

I don't see any reason why the Dino range needs a story to be deemed as successful. I think kids would make their own story if they were left too it as the dinos are awesome and the sets are amazing quality. As quoted above, it would promote good fun imaginitive play

I do agree with u that there's a need for balance, it has always been 1 of LEGO's core values to promote imagination & creativity. I think it is a gd balance right now between storyline series like NINJAGO & freeplay ones like the DINO.

I think the dinosaurs figures are much more detailed & realistic compared to the last Dino attack where all the dinosaurs are relatively dark in color, mostly black and red. And the old theme is a bit gloom compared to the new theme, I think the new theme will cater to the needs of both adult fans as well as the young children,

Certainly I hold LEGO will come out with more sets on this theme with more new types of dinosaurs!

Cheers!

The LEGO Dino site is updated with the "Base", "Nest", and "Fun Zone sections. The Nest sections shows you things about the dinos, while the Base section shows you things about the human characters.

The main character's name in the Base section is Josh Thunder.

Discuss.

The main character's name in the Base section is Josh Thunder.

Johnny Thunder's kid brother? There's one for the easter egg thread, I suppose.

Johnny Thunder's kid brother? There's one for the easter egg thread, I suppose.

Not brother, as JT lived in the '20's or '30's. More likely his grandson.

Just wondering why there isn't their favorite dino in the profiles. :wacko:

Why has the blonde hunter from the ocean interceptor set remained anonymous?

And why do "Pilot" and "Driver" not have real names? :wacko:

Just wondering why there isn't their favorite dino in the profiles. :wacko:

I don't know about them, but if I was pitted against rampaging dinos I wouldn't be too fond of them. :wink:

I kind of feel bad for the Dino theme, it is definitely being overshadowed by Super Heroes, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars; the steeper prices don't help it's popularity. So far, I like a lot of what I see/built, so I hope that Dino gets another wave or two like Atlantis, but I'm not very optimistic. :sceptic:

Also, does anyone else wish that those yellow X-beam wall pieces came in a shade of gray or black, instead of yellow? I can think of so many ways to use a gray one of that piece, not so much a yellow one...

I just built the Dino Defence HQ which has six of them in yellow, which would be a lot more useful in grey/black. If the yellows of this theme were to be replaced by tan/grey/dark green it would be ideal for me, but I suppose that would damper the theme's appeal to the kids?

I really like the JT easter egg in the updated site! :wub:

Why has the blonde hunter from the ocean interceptor set remained anonymous?

LEGO tends to ignore sets specific to a certain retailer (special edition sets). They never show up at the end of the instruction books or on any promo artwork. :wink:

I kind of feel bad for the Dino theme, it is definitely being overshadowed by Super Heroes, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars; the steeper prices don't help it's popularity. So far, I like a lot of what I see/built, so I hope that Dino gets another wave or two like Atlantis, but I'm not very optimistic. :sceptic:

As mentioned here, the press kit from Toy Fair described the Dino theme as "an evergreen in construction". "Evergreen themes" refer to those like City, Pirates, Castle, and Space that may fade out for a while but never go away entirely.

Obviously this year hasn't been an especially good one for evergreen themes, with no non-licensed Castle, Pirates, or Space themes, but nevertheless if TLG is already thinking of Dino as a potential evergreen theme then I wouldn't be surprised if we see a second wave sometime next year, unless its sales turn out far below expectations.

Even though I haven't bought any Dino sets, this has me very excited since it means there may be more dinosaur designs in the future that are visually compatible with these ones. The one area in which this dino theme suffers compared to some previous ones is variety of dinos, but a second or third wave could easily amend that.

As mentioned here, the press kit from Toy Fair described the Dino theme as "an evergreen in construction". "Evergreen themes" refer to those like City, Pirates, Castle, and Space that may fade out for a while but never go away entirely.

Obviously this year hasn't been an especially good one for evergreen themes, with no non-licensed Castle, Pirates, or Space themes, but nevertheless if TLG is already thinking of Dino as a potential evergreen theme then I wouldn't be surprised if we see a second wave sometime next year, unless its sales turn out far below expectations.

Even though I haven't bought any Dino sets, this has me very excited since it means there may be more dinosaur designs in the future that are visually compatible with these ones. The one area in which this dino theme suffers compared to some previous ones is variety of dinos, but a second or third wave could easily amend that.

We've already had Dino Island, the Dino subtheme of Studios, the brick-built dino canisters, and Dino Attack/Dino 2010 as well as this Dino theme, so I think Dino already is an evergreen theme. We probably won't get a new wave next year, but we probably will get a new theme with a different name in a few years.

This is good news. It doesn't appear that were getting anything new this year, but there's hope that we will be seeing more Dino. Hopefully as early as next year.

I was originally excited for Dino, but I agree that it is being overshadowed by other themes early on. I have yet to buy any just for the fact that I had to budget elsewhere. And I don't know if it is like it everywhere, but it doesn't help that I never see any Dino sets in stock (and I don't mean they are selling out quickly like Friends, I mean there is never a spot in the aisle for Dino sets. I don't mean there is a price tag on the display with nothing above it, there is simply nothing anywhere indicating that Dino even exists).

Hopefully there will be future sets with other dino designs eventually, but maybe not immediately. We'll see how the sales go at the end of the year report.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of the LEGO excitement this year is weighted towards the various Summer releases, with the upcoming Avengers, Lord of the Rings and even the Monster Fighters theme. LEGO is clearly putting a lot of effort into the success of their Summer releases, so yes, Dino is on the sidelines.

On the other hand, I would be very surprised if Dino sales aren't what they expected; after all, it's not difficult to sell an action-packed Jurassic theme with trucks and helicopters to modern kids. The potential for this theme's return in the future is pretty high, I think. Just not this year.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of the LEGO excitement this year is weighted towards the various Summer releases, with the upcoming Avengers, Lord of the Rings and even the Monster Fighters theme. LEGO is clearly putting a lot of effort into the success of their Summer releases, so yes, Dino is on the sidelines.

On the other hand, I would be very surprised if Dino sales aren't what they expected; after all, it's not difficult to sell an action-packed Jurassic theme with trucks and helicopters to modern kids. The potential for this theme's return in the future is pretty high, I think. Just not this year.

All of the younger male types of my acquaintance love the Dino sets and have at least one, at their own insistence. Which is good because otherwise the adults would choose something else just for better value. The pricing on the Dino sets is worse than the licensed ones because of the painted Dino's.

I figure the Monster Fighters are what will really drive them from the shelves. Yeah kids like dinos... But we talking werewolves and zombies here.

I keep a close watch for when Target will put them on sale. I think that big truck and the helicopter would work well as Alien wreckage recovery units for my Earth Defense Force. Just populate them with some CMF has mat guys and presto.

I would like just two more sets whit two more dinos. Stegosaur, and a brachiosaur/brontosaur. Just this two more. I hope LEGO hear me!!! :blush:

I want a Amphicoelias or Argentionsaurus, a Deinocheirus, a Stegosaur and a Quetzalcoatlus. And possibly a dinosaur-humanoid?

Edited by DraikNova

I would like just two more sets whit two more dinos. Stegosaur, and a brachiosaur/brontosaur. Just this two more. I hope LEGO hear me!!! :blush:

After finally getting all of the various Dino's in the new sets I was thinking the same thing!! We need a Stegosaurus and/or Brachiosaurus, there are too many carnivores IMO. I am having an absolute blast with this theme, I watch one of the Jurassic Park flicks everytime I build a new set or try to build a MOC to accompany the sets. Unfortunately, I think the chances are real low that we will see these anytime soon with this being an "evergreen" theme. The Dino's are so well built, look superb, and are fun to play with. But, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that we may see some new Dino's within the next year or two. :grin:

Agreed, those two would be great additions! I personally don't think there will be more waves of this theme but I'll keep my fingers crossed. :classic:

Anyone else notice a Target Tax?! I went to buy the new Dino HQ at Target the other day. I knew it was $99 US on Lego.com. But, when I got to the aisle, I see it's $111.99. Toys'r'US has it for $109.99, but, Wal-Mart is still $99.

Jamie

Anyone else notice a Target Tax?! I went to buy the new Dino HQ at Target the other day. I knew it was $99 US on Lego.com. But, when I got to the aisle, I see it's $111.99. Toys'r'US has it for $109.99, but, Wal-Mart is still $99.

Jamie

What? *huh* Target tax adding on an extra 12 dollars? That's really strange. Toys'R'us and Walmart are usually the expensive ones. I've never heard of such a thing. :look:

Dino finally came out in Australia this week. It's exclusive to Big W, just as Pharaoh's Quest was, and the prices will never drop even during their big toy sale. I still wish they had chosen a colour other than yellow, but I really love the sets and the dinosaurs. I've been watching Terra Nova as I build them, it's a shame that series didn't turn out as good as it could have, but I love the dinosaurs. Now that I'm up to the final episode and still plan on buying and building more Dino sets, I'll start rewatching Planet Dinosaur, the best dinosaur documentary series I've seen.

The sets remind me a bit of Mars Mission, although the vehicles don't have the cool suspension and Technic pieces. I think the theme would make a good Real-Time Strategy game, just as Mars Mission did.

That's the thing that worries me though. Lego has released a couple dino waves in the past and they have all been a few years apart yet none of them really share a cohesive look. If they don't release a new Dino wave till 2013, will it again be overhauled and have vastly different looking dinosaurs from what we got this year?

I also agree with others. I could easily of seen them makig 2-3 more sets with a few new dinosaurs included in them. For instance we could of got a stegosaurus set with a gang of hunters on motorcycles, a plesiosauras with a sub command station or a big boat command center, and a brochosauras dino with a watch tower built in a tree. That's just three ideas off the top of my head that are vastly different from the sets we already got. They also include some dinosaurs we didnt see this year.

Edited by Deathleech