Sign in to follow this  
blackpyre

Question about the Imperial Flagship

Recently, my wife and I have been assembling our copy of the Imperial Flagship. We got to the bow where that sawfish shark thing is placed and I realized something. I don't think this ship really has a name. Or at least, I don't know what it is if it does have one.

Imperial Flagship is more or less a designation but does not constitute a name. For example the BSB and QAR are both named ships with no designation to their class of ship in the title LEGO gave them.

So, does anyone know if the Imperial Flagship actually has a name?

Will

I actually think TLG wanted it to be called THE Imperial Flagship, not AN Imperial Flagship.

It's generic but that's very safe for TLG. So I think it's called the Imperial Flagship.

No facts for this, just what I think.

Wow that just seems kind of a waste to me. Every time I saw the name I thought its AN Imperial Flagship. It never really crossed my mind that it was THE Imperial Flagship.

This name seems like if Her Majesty's Service gave names out like the HMS Boat or the U.S.'s Navy called things the U.S.S. Battle Ship.

*sigh*

I guess I'll nickname mine "The Imperium's Heart." TLG you make me sad this day.

Will

You have to remember LEGO makes generic things all the time.

Again, this is just what I think, I'd be very interested to great any facts on this matter.

I actually thought it was called THE Imperial Flagship without even thinking it is just AN Imperial Flagship. Oh well. It's a beauty either way.

Well, I have to say the "Nelson" does have a nice ring to it.

At least, it's much better than my other choice "The Sassy Dutchess."

BTW Finished building it today. Boy, this is one massive ship. I can see why no one really bothers with a name, you're too busy marveling at it!

Will

The previous Imperial Flagship (6271) was called the "Sea Lion", so you could probably get away calling it that. You could also call it the "Saw Fish" because of the decoration on the bow.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about it, but now I think I'm tempted to go with "Saw Fish"...

Edited by FileSystemObject

I think lego wants us to call it whatever, in that case i'll name mine, Oberon

:jollyroger:

You know, I did notice that sawfish. In fact it was that feature that made me wonder about the name in the first place.

And truthfully, it does fit the name Oberon as well.

Through my search for named pirates I have seen that pretty much every ship has at least some kind of name in one language or another. The only exception to this is the new Imperial Flagship, probably because it isn't in the catalogs.

This name seems like if Her Majesty's Service gave names out like the HMS Boat or the U.S.'s Navy called things the U.S.S. Battle Ship.

*sigh*

That had me rollin!! :pir_laugh2:

The HMS Sea Lion was the non-US name of the original flagship, I think it sounds good if a bit corny. The other "classic" names are Dark Shark, Sea Vulture, Black Skull, Sea Hawk.

I like HMS Imperial Shark, has a nice ring to it. :pir-classic:

Is it based on any particular historical ship or class of ship?

The ship is supposed to be a flagship, hence 'Imperial Flagship'. However realistically a flagship (in the Napoleonic Wars) would've had 100 -136 (Santissma Trinidad, if I remember) guns, and 10210 mounts only eight at maximum.

So I guess this ship is based on the large ship-of-the-lines, but this just goes back to the thread debating the scale of LEGO System.

Edited by Skipper