Legeaux

The Bomb Ketch Bloviator

thindexedgif.gif 50d

The Bloviator is the new Bomb Ketch of the French Squadron based in Port Brique in the South Pacifique. Bomb ketches are not generally described as �graceful� or �elegant�, but this black hulled mortar vessel is a particularly ugly example. Her broad hull, though, is a perfect home to the twin mortars.

blo00.jpg

Built on the Durmstrang galleon hull, the Bloviator was a challenge to make. I�d originally thought that the principle problem with the Durmstrang hull was it�s short length, but I think the real problem is it�s squareness. I experimented with various solutions to lengthen the hull, but found nothing satisfactory. I ended up stretching it a little with the overhanging stern gallery, and some SNOT slopes at the bow... but even so it is just too square.

Historically, bomb ketches where often converted from ship rigged (three masted) vessels, with the foremast removed, and the forward hull reinforced to withstand the force of the mortar(s). To partly make up for the loss of sail area due to the missing foremast, the mainmast was extended upward, and due to the sheer length and the need to keep forward rigging simple, the forestay was often a chain.

blo01.jpg_thumb.jpg

blo02.jpg_thumb.jpg

blo03.jpg_thumb.jpg

blo04.jpg_thumb.jpg

blo05.jpg_thumb.jpg

blo06.jpg_thumb.jpg

blo07.jpg_thumb.jpg

blo08.jpg_thumb.jpg

blo09.jpg_thumb.jpg

blo10.jpg_thumb.jpg

I�ve tried to capture the somewhat ungainly rig of the bomb ketch in the Bloviator, in part, I guess, to distract the viewer from the ungainliness of the hull.

You did an excellent job with that hull. Its just so boxy that not much can be done with it. I love the mortars and the whole concept in general. I like how you used slopes on their sides to create the bow, that is an interesting design. its a shame lego made this thing so short, anyone know if it is that short in the movies?

It doesn't look too "boxy" in these pictures but it does look a bit strange how the sides bow out from beneath the top deck. Not that that is your fault Mr Legeaux, its the fault of the horrible design of the piece you had to work with.

Yes, the tumblehome is a bit extreme. I guess the hull pieces were designed for the 4+ line, which doesn't include tall slopes.

I'm contemplating a partial rebuild of the hull using 2x2x2 slopes rather than two rows of 2x2x1's... with careful placement of gun port lids, it mightn't look too bad.

Tumblehome? I've never encountered this word before but its great! I'll try to remember it for future use.

This is first time the squareness of the +4 hull has been so evident (to me at least). I think the squareness is enhanced by the lack of a midsection (coupled with no cabin), however I've yet to scrutinize one in person. Beside the pickle that is the +4 hull the ship is nice looking. The color scheme is the ship

I'm glad you've finally joined our forum, I enjoyed viewing your MOCs on Lugnet. Some of them in fact have their own threads here as well, started by various users who spotted them and wanted to discuss them. Perhaps now that you're here you might want to say something in those threads too? :-)

About the ship - I was considering buying the Durmstrang ship or the 4+ pirate ship to make MOCs out of them for some time, however I finally decided not to as those hull pieces are ugly, and I really don't like their shape - first widening upwards, then getting narrow again. THe 4+ ship at least has a middle section so it doesn't look as square as the HP ship.

However, with the ugly square hull and all its weaknesses, you managed to make a vessel which is fun to look at. The design is nice and I can only complain about how Lego made those hull pieces and not about how you used them. And I like those mortars - I was considering using trashcans as weapons myself...

I find it very 'fresh' construction. I've never seen such a ship MOC yet. I love the trash-cans You have used here. I like the colors also.

Very nice idea and a very good MOC : o)

I tried to make a ship on the captain redbeard ship hull, well, it wasn't really succesfull, but this sure is *y*

blo08.jpg

I have my usualy flag quandary: We have a soldier (or French depending on how you look at it) flag yet there doesn't appear to be any soldiers on the ship, why is this? Was this flag used for the sake of having a flag or is there signifigance behind it like the Pirates stole The Bomb Ketch Bloviator from the soldiers?

blo08.jpg_thumb.jpg

I have my usualy flag quandary: We have a soldier (or French depending on how you look at it) flag yet there doesn't appear to be any soldiers on the ship, why is this? Was this flag used for the sake of having a flag or is there signifigance behind it like the Pirates stole The Bomb Ketch Bloviator from the soldiers?

Hmmm....

1. Most ships don't carry soldiers.

or

2. The soldiers are wearing their winter uniforms.

or

3. It's actually a Brunswicker ship, flying a misleading flag. (I use pirate captain torsos for Brunswicker uniforms).

But

1. The commander at least should be wearing some sort of French uniform.

2. No one's ever mentioned winter uniforms before.

and

3. I'm not sure that, historically, Brunswick had much of a navy.

Anyway, Mister Phes, I shall make every effort to have my crew uniforms match the flags in future... although that may be an issue because my next vessel out of the slipway is a supply tender, which almost certainly wouldn't have normally carried soldiers, and almost certainly wouldn't be commanded by a commissioned officer!

You've raised some very good points here Mr Legeaux, however in the LEGO universe none of that really matters anyway unless you're going for historic accuracy.

But don't take my post as an expectation for you to create crew uniforms and matchings flags, unless you want to of course. If its not fun then don't bother going to the extra because this is meant to be fun, not work!

blo08.jpg

I usually use that flag because of the sake of having a flag :-P

But when I want to have a French flag, I really want to have a French flag, the one with the red-white-blue, this flag is more for bases or armies, IMO.

And you say that there are no soldiers on the ship, but if it is supposed to be a French flag, why do there need to be soldiers on the ship??

Ah yes, Mr Tiber reminds us of the "Just Imagine" philosophy whereby the LEGO can be whatever you want it to be. However, I habituablity tend to think that the flag used on the Bomb Ketch Bloviator is a military flag since its been on so many military related sets.

So the question myself is: If this was to represent the flag of an entire nation then wouldn't everyone representing that nation use that flag? Well they would, wouldn't they?

I think that is a good moc using that particular hull. its got a good color scheme also. i enjoy the creativity in bow of the ship with the sloped bricks. i have never seen that done before. i'll have to refer to this ship for my bomb ketch after i'm done with my frigate. The only thing i don't like are the cannons. i just think they're too small for bombing the snot out of a fort or a small settlement.

TTFN

That is an awesome ship. I love when people make good ships out of the crappy new hulls. I have only seen one or two, and I really do like this one. I love how tall it is!

Missed this thread...

Very nice, I didn't know about ths topic historically (more proof Lego is fun and educational X-D ). I like the 'squareness' it compliments those mean looking mortars. Good work!

God Bless,

Nathan

That is an awesome ship. I love when people make good ships out of the crappy new hulls. I have only seen one or two, and I really do like this one. I love how tall it is!

What exactly do you mean with tall? The length from bow to stern or the length of the mast??