WhiteFang

SET REVIEW: 4193 The London Escape

On a scale of 1 to 5   

55 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

thindexedgif.gif

gallery_6705_157_25242.png

Hello everyone,

I have not been working on a mid-sized LEGO set for a long while and it is quite challenging to present this. However, for the love of the POTC(Pirates of the Caribbean), I am determined to complete and showcase this exclusive review, in conjunction with the 3rd Reviewers Academy Anniversary celebration. At the same time, I am also hoping to cover as much LEGO POTC reviews to help all of you to better establish your buying decision. I hope all of the readers will enjoy this feature.

Name: 4193 The London Escape

Theme: LEGO System / Pirates of the Caribbean

Year: 2011

Pieces: 462

Minifigs: 5 minifigures

Price: USD$49.99, GBP 46.49, SGD$139.90

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

An original box image of the 4193 The London Escape

1.jpg

Back view of the original box image of the 4193 The London Escape

2.jpg

Not even the solders of King George can stop the mighty Captain Jack Sparrow from escaping

48.jpg

My oh my, this is quite a fun looking iconic scene. It is a part of Captain Jack Sparrow's daring escaping act in London, running away from King George's men. This scene was featured in the earlier year in this blockbuster movie of the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

So, what are you waiting for? Let's head in and discover the different magical elements that brought this together.

The content of the sealed POTC LEGO box

5.jpg

In this half-empty LEGO box, you get a total of 4 numbered sealed polybags filled with LEGO bricks.

Instruction Manual Package

6.jpg

It is very nice to know that the poster, collectable card and the instruction manual comes together with the cardboard backing at the back to serve as a support to prevent it from bending or crumpled.

Front view of the POTC Poster

8.jpg

This poster is as big as an A3 size. I got no idea that it can be so big. I will likely to archive this poster into my files and keep it in proper storage especially when I only have that "one" piece of unique poster in my POTC collection.

POTC: Joshammee Gibbs Collectable Minifigure Card

7deeplink1.jpg

In this set, it comes with a Joshammee Gibbs Collectable Minifigure card. Behind the card contains a cryptic game code for one to activate for its gaming content. I haven't tried any of those codes though.

Pouring the content of Packet 1

9.jpg

There you go, the very first Packet 1 contains the built of the green wagon carriage and the highly desired POTC minifigures which is a new highlights for some of it in this new set.

The escapade scene, starring these lovely minfigures

10.jpg

Let's see. There are a total of 5 different minifigures and among them, there are 3 very exclusive minifigures which is made available in this set. Of course, the main star of this set is to acquire Joshammee Gibbs, while the stage coach driver and the solder is like the side-dish. Then again, both of them are still unique in its own class.

Nonetheless, you can still obtain one of the popular Jack Sparrow outfit wearing his tricorne hat and the King George's Officer too. Every aspect of this minifigure is fun to have. I did wish it could have included Jack's father in the camo scene or an additional King George's Solder will also be handy. This is a picture of all minifigures holding their respective weapons and accessories.

The minifigures' back printings

11.jpg

I really enjoyed these minifigures back printings very much. I don't think there are many sets which are able to maintain all back printings for all of their minifigures. I supposed this is a plus point of having it under "licensed", but at a higher cost though.

Among all of the minifigures pieces which are produced, I really like Joshammee Gibbs's hair piece. It is well represented in the old England era.

Time to meet the new face of the Imperial Solders?

13.jpg

Plain disappointment

4.jpg

14.jpg

Before I touch onto the rest of the built, I felt I need to address this point. I was anticipating, thinking to myself that I might have a chrome gold bar or even a plain pearl gold bar as consolation, but I was really wrong. Instead, I was given 2 sets of gold pirates coins. There were nothing special about it and I can't believe it had spread to other POTC sets too. Not sure if these will remain unsolved in future productions. In this case, I find it very disappointing. :cry_sad:

Beginning to build the green wagon carriage

15.jpg

16.jpg

As you flip the instructions and fit the bricks together, you will soon notice that the green wagon carriage is beginning to take its form. I love the colour scheme of having the dark green and black combination together. It's good to see the dark green bricks being used elsewhere apart from the 10194 Emerald Night.

Admiring the green wagon carriage without her steed

17.jpg

The complete design of the green wagon carriage

18.jpg

I completely enjoyed this green wagon carriage! The colour combination is brilliant. It's quite uncommon to see such nicely design horse carriages which can be used in both 1800s European era or the Medieval age as well, so to me it's a good opportunity to get one and employ it under a private castle wagon.

Apart from the stunning design, I also enjoyed more of its interacting playing feature which I will be showing below with the respective relevant images and captions. Other nice design features include the treasure chest which was placed in the rear.

The front can be swirled around 360 degrees without the horse

19.jpg

Take a good look at this playing feature

21.jpg

At the top of the green wagon carriage, you are able to place a minifigure at the top and prepare to launch it into the sky when the unexpected Jack Sparrow crashed into the wagon. Placing the figure at when Jack Sparrow is standing, and he will be exiting from there to delay the solders from advancing onto him. Look at the small official picture above for the illustration for better clarity.

Elizabeth will likely to enjoy her ride

23.jpg

I was wondering to myself if I can actually fit someone with the female skirt part like Elizabeth into the carriage. Surprisingly, it is able to fit in very nicely over here.

Pouring the content of Packet 2

25.jpg

Now, we will go about pouring out the content of Packet 2 which contains the built of the coal carriage. This coal carriage is also another important vehicle that was used in the movie where Jack Sparrow attempted to use the burning coal to delay the pursuing solders.

Building up the back of the coal wagon

26.jpg

27.jpg

The complete design of the coal wagon

28.jpg

Some might find the coal wagon design to be a little dull as compared with the green wagon. I beg to differ. In this case, the coal wagon design is equally useful like the other counterpart. To me, it can also be used to transport other kind of goods and it's not restricted only to coal if you are willing to modify the built.

It does represents coal to a certain extent

29.jpg

Using various LEGO black elements, where 1x1 round stud, cheese slope and etc, to form the uneven contour at the rear of the wagon. From far, I will actually think it does represent some bit of coal from an aerial view.

The front can turn left and right

31.jpg

Another fun playing feature

30.jpg

The next playing feature is the pouring off hot coals from the coal wagon. Originally, you are only able to view the coals from the top, but once you pressed down the coal, it will reveal the burning flames from beneath. Those hot coals will fall onto the floor and cause severe chaotic disruption out there. Seriously, I don't think Jack Sparrow will be brave enough to try that feat by standing on top of those burning coals. Look at the small official picture above for the illustration for better clarity.

Do you dare to race with me?

33.jpg

Pouring the content of Packet 3

34.jpg

We are at the half-way mark of the building process. At this stage, we will be building the base and the sides of the tavern known as the "Captains Daughter".

Different angles of the tavern's base and sides

35.jpg

36.jpg

Lift the torch and barrels will fall

37.jpg

The last fun playing feature was the removal of the burning torch which was placed in the tavern's side where it allows the barrels filled with rum to row down from the holding stack. It's great to cause a diversion with the hopes of crushing the pursuing solders. Look at the small official picture above for the illustration for better clarity.

Pouring the content of Packet 4

38.jpg

Now, we are at the end of the last building packet and it contains the remaining parts to construct the level 2 of the tavern. Within this packet, I took out a few useful parts which is of huge interest to me such as the glass bottles, new pail bucket and the printed picture frame. After completing the entire building process, we are left to these few remaining spare parts.

The complete built of the tavern which is named as "Captains Daughter"

47.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

I am quite fond of this miniature tavern. Although it's partially built up without the wall backing and the sides to complete the whole tavern look, but it is still pretty decent looking with both exterior and interior design. However, I did wish this can be spared with extra bricks to finish up the remaining corners. Take note at the wooden doors and windows. It certainly made me felt comfortable with it, except for those loose window frames upon inserting the panels in there.

Not to forget that this printed tile is one of mine favourite key icons within this one and only set. More importantly, I am actually intending to merge this set with mine 10193 Medieval Market Village. I am confident that this tavern will be suitable in that setting.

The tavern's interior

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

Let's flip it over to the interior and you can find the tavern to be seen in 2 levels. There are no rooms on the 2nd floor with the only exception of the dusty attic filled with spider and mouse that stores those antique pictures. You had to make full use of the backing behind to incorporate the furniture and wine barrels.

Jack, this is your chance to run away. Stand by

50.jpg

49.jpg

Monthly Pirates meetings

52.jpg

To conclude, I enjoyed this set pretty much and at the same time, facing quite a fair bit of disappoints as well. Firstly, I love both of the wagon vehicles. Both designs are much beautiful and useful. In addition, the tavern was also another good reason to get it due to its many useful small and printed parts. The amount of minifigures were quite generous too.

But, ultimately, the lack of gold bar which was mentioned above and the incomplete tavern built, that pulled down my ratings for this set. Nevertheless, for any POTC collectors who are bend to complete everything, get it while it's still on the shelves. Likewise, for the castle collectors. too

Summary review

Playability: 9/10 (Many fun playing features in the green wagon, tavern, etc.)

Design: 6/10 (Good designs for the vehicles but inadequate designing effort.)

Price: 5/10 (Expensive set for a medium sized LEGO set especially in this part of the world.)

Overall: 6.7/10 (Don't miss getting this set despite of its minor flaws.)

I gave it a "3" based on my Review Score Card. :pir-wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr and My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Great review as always, WhiteFang! ) :classic:

Well, I enjoyed building this set a lot, even though it doesn't really provide any special or very interesting parts. For me, at least. The figs are good, but we really get only one exclusive fig, which is a bit disappointing.

Should TLC'd made the set smaller and cheaper (somehow :hmpf: ) this set could've become one of the best in the line. Even sort of battle-pack for pirate fans. But, alas! I never botherede to get a second one, because of its extremely high price for a medium-sized set.

Again, thanks for the great review! :thumbup:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

Well, I enjoyed building this set a lot, even though it doesn't really provide any special or very interesting parts. For me, at least. The figs are good, but we really get only one exclusive fig, which is a bit disappointing.

Should TLC'd made the set smaller and cheaper (somehow :hmpf: ) this set could've become one of the best in the line. Even sort of battle-pack for pirate fans. But, alas! I never botherede to get a second one, because of its extremely high price for a medium-sized set.

Thanks Penguin. It is good to hear about your thoughts on this set. I do agrees that the real exclusive minifigure behind this was getting Gibbs even though some might find it not very motivational to acquire this costly set. If the cost was a little lower, I am sure it will be of the better sets in the POTC line. Still, this set is still required for any POTC fan.

I have not been working on a mid-sized LEGO set for a long while and it is quite challenging to present this.

But you make it appear as though you do it effortlessly!

The amount of detail you managed to work into your reviews is phenonemal.

So why is it so challenging? Opposed to an Impulse set, which don't really have many elements to work with.

But you make it appear as though you do it effortlessly!

The amount of detail you managed to work into your reviews is phenonemal.

So why is it so challenging? Opposed to an Impulse set, which don't really have many elements to work with.

Thank you Phes. I haven't done a review for a medium sized set for quite a long while.

For sets that varies from medium to large, it takes more efforts and time to prepare a review that last for days and weeks as it will encompass and factor in long building time, photo taking session and photo editing process. It will ends up more writing and more checking based on the review structure too. Impulse sets and polybag sets are much easier to handle and less tedious to note, but it is not as fun and satisfactory of doing a LEGO System sets that is of a larger scale.

Hope this review of mine will helps to value add our POTC resources and I also intend to plan for more POTC reviews in the future. (I hope). :pir-blush:

Yes, your reviews are a very valuable resource. :thumbup:

I don't think there are many reviews quite as comprehensive as yours, so keep them coming!

This is an outstanding review, good pictures and alot of detail

When I got this set I was a little disapointed in price to size ration, but the set is still good, its the common curse of all POTC sets.

(p.s I did get a gold bar, sorry you didn't)

Thansk for doing the review :thumbup:

I rate it average.

It's obviously overpirced, just every PotC/license set; and I don't like the green wagon.

I'm getting a few PotC sets, but surely not this one.

Great review, as always!

First let me say I pretty much look at all the PotC sets from the perspective of a classic pirates fan who just wants to obtain some of the new pieces and turn all the minifigures heads and hands to yellow...

That said the one piece I really like about this set is the red coat officer's torso!

I also like the white rimmed tricorne hats. They never show up in photos well as it looks just like light reflecting off them but you can see it in the poster and look great in real life. I got the officer minifigure from bricklink and was pleasantly surprised with his hat! Looking at pictures of the set before I thought it was just a normal black tricorne.

I think you've overall done a good job with the review. Personally there's not enough about this set to make me want to buy it.

Edited by Weil

Lovely review, Fangy! :wub:

I have this set, but it's been sat MISB waiting for me to have the opportunity to build it. It's one of my favourites of the PotC range - I love the little tavern, and I agree it would be great to combine it with the MMV (also sitting MISB :cry_happy: ).

Incidentally, if you want dark green parts, I'd recommend this :wink: .

Yes, your reviews are a very valuable resource. :thumbup:

I don't think there are many reviews quite as comprehensive as yours, so keep them coming!

Thank you very much. You can count on it.

When I got this set I was a little disapointed in price to size ration, but the set is still good, its the common curse of all POTC sets.

(p.s I did get a gold bar, sorry you didn't)

Aww... I wonder who gotten this problem, similar to my case. :pir-cry_sad:

It's obviously overpirced, just every PotC/license set; and I don't like the green wagon.

I'm getting a few PotC sets, but surely not this one.

I agree that this set is way overpriced, but I find it surprising that the dark green is not suitable to your preference.

I think you've overall done a good job with the review. Personally there's not enough about this set to make me want to buy it.

I can understand that, as you are a pure Classic Pirates fan at heart, where you can make the best out of this set as parts pack. In your case, the officer's torso is definitely to be of great use to you, but you can look for it at Bricklink for a much lower price.

I have this set, but it's been sat MISB waiting for me to have the opportunity to build it. It's one of my favourites of the PotC range - I love the little tavern, and I agree it would be great to combine it with the MMV (also sitting MISB :cry_happy: ).

Build it when you are free! Mine MMV is still MISB too. Can't wait to place them together though.

Incidentally, if you want dark green parts, I'd recommend this :wink: .

I don't have this set but I will take a look at the content inside. :pir-sweet:

Fantastic review, WhiteFang. Unfortunately I have not seen any PotC movies, so I don't know the context in which this set's design was derived from. But, I love how these sets can integrate themselves almost seamlessly with Castle sets. Now that you mentioned it in the review, the building would mesh quite well with the Medieval Market Village. Thanks for sharing with us! :pir-sweet:

This is a pretty cool set. The colors are pretty basic but the minifigures are very cool! I really do like the carriges and the house. Fantastic review of another good PotC set. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review, Fangy. It seems you have quite a different opinion on the set than I did in my review, but that's the purpose of having more than one opinion, right? :pir_laugh2: This will remain my favorite PotC set for the time being, and now that you mention it, it would go well with the MMV. Now all I need to do is put my MMV back together, along with the big castle from the fantsay line so that I can make a nice courtyard and castle town.

Maybe the new mill set from the Kingdoms line would go will with this set, too?

Great. This is a peculiar set to rate IMO. For the American price, it's fantastic, but otherwise it's just average. Above Average for me

Thanks for the review 'Fangy', actually I voted above average for it's play features.....strange as it may seem this is the only Lego set my wife likes and has brought it for our son to go under the Christmas tree.....she liked the horses....she is a blonde ! :pir-laugh:

Guess who have to build the inn in the end eh ? :pir-laugh: Ah, well.....keep on drinking that rum....or scotch in my case...hmm, a case of scotch ! :pir-laugh:

Great review, I must say it is a great set.

Looking at your review I must say you were lucky: my soldiers were pink - printing problem with white on red torso. Also, although you wish you had a pearl gold bar, I have it, and I wish for chrome coins, these pearl gold coins look fake.

I think my pink soldiers raided the inn to capture the pirates for distributing insultingly bad counterfeits in pearl gold coins.

Also, I must say I did place the inn next to my MMV, although not as a inn, just a house (took down the printed flag), built the other missing wall, and it looks nice.

I have this set waiting for me come Christmas time...unfortunately that is months away! But I am excited to build it. The wagons/carriages look great. I really like the dark green one. The overall tavern looks really good, although I agree on it needing to be finished out. I will probably modify it a little to work in my setting.

I'm not collecting the minifigs so that doesn't really matter to me, but I do like the torsos, even the carriage driver torso. I have a soft spot for the old redcoats instead of these newer versions.

Great review overall. Hopefully Lego figured out the gold brick problem.

Awesome review White Fang. I can't wait to see more from you since you put so much effort into these and really help on decision making for the all of us. :pir-classic:

Fantastic review, WhiteFang. Unfortunately I have not seen any PotC movies, so I don't know the context in which this set's design was derived from. But, I love how these sets can integrate themselves almost seamlessly with Castle sets. Now that you mentioned it in the review, the building would mesh quite well with the Medieval Market Village. Thanks for sharing with us! :pir-sweet:

Thanks R8. You got to watch those POTC movies if you can afford the time. These POTC sets, especially the London Escape offer a pretty good alternative for such medieval integration.

This is a pretty cool set. The colors are pretty basic but the minifigures are very cool! I really do like the carriges and the house. Fantastic review of another good PotC set. :thumbup:

Thanks Masked Builder. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for the review, Fangy. It seems you have quite a different opinion on the set than I did in my review, but that's the purpose of having more than one opinion, right? :pir_laugh2:

Yes yes. That's the main reason why we need different reviews to show each other of our different opinions. :pir_laugh2:

Maybe the new mill set from the Kingdoms line would go will with this set, too?

I certainly agrees.

Great. This is a peculiar set to rate IMO. For the American price, it's fantastic, but otherwise it's just average. Above Average for me

Prices in the US are always above attractive.

Thanks for the review 'Fangy', actually I voted above average for it's play features.....strange as it may seem this is the only Lego set my wife likes and has brought it for our son to go under the Christmas tree.....she liked the horses....she is a blonde ! :pir-laugh:

Guess who have to build the inn in the end eh ? :pir-laugh: Ah, well.....keep on drinking that rum....or scotch in my case...hmm, a case of scotch ! :pir-laugh:

Oh well. It can't be a poorly rated set, especially if the wives like it. :pir-tongue:

Looking at your review I must say you were lucky: my soldiers were pink - printing problem with white on red torso. Also, although you wish you had a pearl gold bar, I have it, and I wish for chrome coins, these pearl gold coins look fake.

I think my pink soldiers raided the inn to capture the pirates for distributing insultingly bad counterfeits in pearl gold coins.

Actually, after you had mentioned it, I went to take a careful look again. Mine solders also had that pinkish problem on that torso too. :pir-sceptic:

Also, I must say I did place the inn next to my MMV, although not as a inn, just a house (took down the printed flag), built the other missing wall, and it looks nice.

Great to know that. :thumbup:

I have this set waiting for me come Christmas time...unfortunately that is months away! But I am excited to build it. The wagons/carriages look great. I really like the dark green one. The overall tavern looks really good, although I agree on it needing to be finished out. I will probably modify it a little to work in my setting.

Hope you can build it real soon, so you can enjoy this set fully.

Awesome review White Fang. I can't wait to see more from you since you put so much effort into these and really help on decision making for the all of us. :pir-classic:

Thank you. Looking forward to share more of those reviews in my free time.

Thanks for the review, WhiteFang. It's rich of nice pictures and good comments on the set.

I agree on the nice design of the carriages, especially the green one - it's a nice mix of the dark green and black. But I think the carriages are quite big (I grew up with the classic 80s/early 90s LEGO). The green one is approx. eight bricks tall - the doors alone reach the shoulders of a minifig. It's a door, not a gate! :pir-sceptic: I might try to MOD them a little smaller.

The inn itself forms a good base for a for a medieval or 18th century building. But as it is in the set, I think it lacks a bit, like a wall, roof and a full first floor (or second floor, if you like) :pir-tongue: . Like other people here, I intend to put it together with MMV (and the guarded inn in a medieval cityscape).

Regarding the gold, I'm not a happy customer either. My set came with one goldbar and seven(!) coins, but in, what I believe must be, pearl gold. It's not shiny, and it looks like dark curry... :hmpf_bad:

Like Weil, I'm not a POTC fan per se, but I think this set provides some great potential to be used with both classic pirates and castle sets. For pirates, it gives you a couple of red coats (including the officer), but also two "non-pirate" civilians. And as a local hypermarket just had it's yearly 40% off on all LEGO, I couldn't resist :pir-grin:

All in all, I will rate it "above average" due to the potential usage for both pirates and castle; the fine base, it is for some MOD'ing/MOC'ing to make it (even) better; and finally for the many details it contains.

/Laka

Not the greatest of sets, but some nice little extras. Good review though.

Thanks for this review! While I would never buy any recent set at the moment (especially not licensed!) I think the parts introduced here as well as the new minifig torsos will be really great for some MOCs; I am really fond of that bucket. :pir-wub: I guess I'll get it of Bricklink some day.

Thanks for the great review Whitefang! :classic:

If I get one POTC set it'll be this. The design of both carriages are excellent. The minifigs are spectacular as well, I really want the King George's Officer's torso for my own army as well as the others for general uses (Gibbs! :pir-wub: ). Only thing I don't like is the tavern, the fact that it's just a facade really ticks me off.