Lasse D

Lasse's Model Team Construction Yard

Do they speak English in Scotland? You should have written "purpose", not "porpoise".

Do they speak English in Scotland? You should have written "purpose", not "porpoise".

Na that's that bleeding spell checker.....

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

That Ackermann is actually backwards. The inside wheel will turn less than the outside wheel in a turn, which is unrealistic and maybe it will affect the performance of the vehicle too. I'd go with "rectangle" geometry.

Now that I think about it, I might have flipped the steering one time too many. I will have a look at it once I'm home.

As for the cutting of bricks, I will add a nice instruction of how to get those new fancy modified pieces :wink:

i rather like the idea of modifying parts. however there is a limit. but to get new offisial parts we have to create them our selves first!

My limit is currently this single new piece which I intend on using as often as possible in my new creations in order to show the usability.

And as for the steering geometry, you are completely correct Lipko. I'm modisying the truck as we speak. Thanks for pointing out the error :)

Edit

Here is the revised steering:

4frame_steering_revised.png

It caused an additional stud in length, but this is good news for my XL-motor integration since it's now easier to exchange the L motor for an XL motor.

Edited by Lasse D

Your new design looks good,are you going to make the body work from full stud bricks or with studless technic?

I'm still waiting for the new motors (DHL is fooling around with the local post office, so I have to call them again tomorrow). In the meantime I have improved the sturdy Scania significantly which is why I'm making building instructions. It might not survive a prolonged game of chicken, but it is one of the sturdiest trucks I have ever built.

Edit

And it is done. The picture links to the instructions:

Scania5590.png

Edited by Lasse D

Now with this new improved Scania R-series done, I want to update the orange truck so it has all the improvements as well.

I have updated the frame as follows:

4_frame_scaniahighline2_1.png

The improvements include:

- XL motor for added torque (vs L-motor for speed)

- The new Ackermann steering geometry.

- Rear differential (vs the simple LSD from the previous version)

- More stable frame and sides.

- Downgearing on the release mechanism with a 1:3 gearing for smoother operation.

- New simpler and more stable stairs.

I will keep you updated as the construction moves along.

Tell me if there are any details you would like to see.

nice idea with the mudguards, I like it. But the fuel tanks look a bit different that a normal Scania has but i think its also the best way.

Good job.

Now with this new improved Scania R-series done, I want to update the orange truck so it has all the improvements as well.

I have updated the frame as follows:

The improvements include:

- XL motor for added torque (vs L-motor for speed)

- The new Ackermann steering geometry.

- Rear differential (vs the simple LSD from the previous version)

- More stable frame and sides.

- Downgearing on the release mechanism with a 1:3 gearing for smoother operation.

- New simpler and more stable stairs.

I will keep you updated as the construction moves along.

Tell me if there are any details you would like to see.

LSD !?

How? Show me please!:)

I think the video Alasdair sent is good introduction to the concept of limited slip differential (LSD) but as far as I can see, it doesn't really tell how LSD was used in Lasse's truck. In Lasse's truck, LSD was basically used instead of differential to do the same thing: to allow wheels to turn at different rates. The easiest way to see the difference is to compare this step from previous truck (Scania Highline) to this step of the new truck. In the previous truck, the axle was set up so that the wheel on the left side was directly connected to the axle but wheel on the right side was connected via friction pin with bush in the end. In this way, when the axle turns, it forces the left wheel to follow the axle movement but the right wheel can slip a bit from the movement. Hence, it's limited slip differential.

Hopefully this explains it. If you still don't get the idea, try it with real bricks and you will notice what I meant, hopefully.

> TheQ

I couldn't have said it better myself.

> olaf9198

I'm keeping the frame, fuel tanks, rear lights and wheels as generic as possible. This makes it easier to build other trucks without having to make large modifications to these parts. My experience tells me that making these parts detailed results in a weaker construction which makes the truck less fun to play with.

However, I still encourage people to build as detailed as possible.

Meanwhile I have completed roughly 90% of the new Highline. I still have to make a new rubber belt and the front has to be prepared for PF lights.

4_frame_scaniahighline2_2.png

I think you should make your trucks moulder so we can customize own own trucks ie:2,3,4 axles , double steering axles,long wheel bases,different cabs..... :grin:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Yes. That's what I'm trying to do. By making frames which are nearly standardized, it should be easy for people to get started with their own truck designs. This way they don't have to worry too much about constructing robust frames.

I have just completed the MLCad model, so now it's onto constructing the building instructions.

4_frame_scaniahighline2_4.png

Edit:

I just finished the building instructions.

Edited by Lasse D

Yes!

It seems that my building instructions will finally become 100% legal!

The 1x2 curved slope has been spotted on the new Firends Cruise ship:

Dolphin-Cruiser-photo-Karten-Grosser.jpg

Take a look at the upper-most trans blue 1x1.

So it is confirmed in white... now I just need it in black to make my trucks buildable without cutting.

^^ And with free instructions it should be doable to get it.

Now. With both a low-line and a highline Scania R-series, the natural extension is to build a topline and thus give a major overhaul to my first truck with instructions.

This is how far I got with the detailing the first night. I'm still making adjustments here and there.

173_scania_topline_feb13.jpg