Sebeus I

Flying Dutchman WIP

This is amazing, i love the cabin but I can't figure out how you made the triple guns. could you please explain how you made it? that would be very helpfull :pir-grin:

keep up the extremely good work :thumbup:

Ofcourse:

1: The parts you need:

1.jpg

2: The three cone pieces should be fixed in the technic wheel.

2.jpg

3: Slide an axle through.

3.jpg

4. Add the round bricks and voila, one triple cannon.

4.jpg

To install it on a ship all you need is a technic brick (brick with holes for axles)

5.jpg

Slide the cannon through the hole and then put a round gear on the end of the axle.

6.jpg

This makes it easier to manipulate the position of the triple guns.

I hope this helps :pir-classic:

I added some more detail to the stern but It might be a little bit over-done, I'm not sure.

dsc04581.jpg

dsc04583.jpg

dsc04585.jpg

I made a "kitchen-platform" as well, for the galley...

But considering the weathered look of ship and crew I suppose it's not really an appropriate add :pir_laugh2:

Anyway, I completely let my imagination do the work here :pir-tongue:

galley.jpg

It's not on the ship but I originally planned to place it under the forecastle.

Instead I added another stairs.

dsc04548.jpg

I don't think your stern is over-done at all, I love it. Definiatly what I would expect with an Flying Dutchman.

Also the style of your galleries pleases me, I'm looking forward to see both levels.

I also admire your skills to make something that at first sight looks like a bunch of random bricks look very good, the stove is just great.

Bart

Stern details are amazing! It gets that wet, random look of the real Flying Dutchman, great job! Only 1 thing I don't really like: that toa (I guess) face at the top, looks a bit weird there pir_laugh2.gif

I don't think your stern is over-done at all, I love it. Definiatly what I would expect with an Flying Dutchman.

Also the style of your galleries pleases me, I'm looking forward to see both levels.

I also admire your skills to make something that at first sight looks like a bunch of random bricks look very good, the stove is just great.

Bart

Thanks

Stern details are amazing! It gets that wet, random look of the real Flying Dutchman, great job! Only 1 thing I don't really like: that toa (I guess) face at the top, looks a bit weird there pir_laugh2.gif

Yes, the toa head, I need some kind of crest to decorate the top of the stern, the real FD has a "combo" of sea demons and people entangled in them but that's very difficult to realize in lego so I'm looking for alternatives, the toa head might just be temporarely.

Or perhaps I'll stick the toa head full of sea weed and tentacles and see if that works :pir_laugh2:

I think that details of your ship so far are amazing. I really like how you are doing the overall shape of the ship and I also like the stern except for the face at the top. One thing I am curious about is if you are going to put anymore details on the faces for the gun ports? :pir-classic:

dsc04471.jpg

I don't won't you take this as anything other than a friendly suggestion, so please don't. But looking at the capstan I think it could be improved upon to give it a bit more functionality and playability. I'd like to offer my take on a possibility using many of the same parts you currently have.

fd_cap.jpg

Here is the LXF if you want a better look at it.

Again, I really don't think there's anything wrong with what you have but I have an image from the film in my mind where the crew is working the capstan. There are 2 men a bar and the boatswain hovering over them with the whip. We're you to reproduce the scene I think you'd be hard-pressed to squeeze two minifigs to a bar with the current rendering.

Edited by Foremast Jack

I don't won't you take this as anything other than a friendly suggestion, so please don't. But looking at the capstan I think it could be improved upon to give it a bit more functionality and playability. I'd like to offer my take on a possibility using many of the same parts you currently have.

fd_cap.jpg

Here is the LXF if you want a better look at it.

Again, I really don't think there's anything wrong with what you have but I have an image from the film in my mind where the crew is working the capstan. There are 2 men a bar and the boatswain hovering over them with the whip. We're you to reproduce the scene I think you'd be hard-pressed to squeeze two minifigs to a bar with the current rendering.

I think it is to big for on the ship.

I thought about that. I know for certain that across the beam there's plenty of room to spare. Along the deck-line you may have me, but I think she'd serve. Coming out from the technic wheel those bars (with holder) are only 4 studs long. I can tell there'd be no problem with that forward hatch-way. The railing for the aft one could present a problem though. I can't really tell if pair of them are equidistant from the drumhead.

It may not work. And now coming back from time to time to check this thread I glance over the original and it just seems right. Maybe "right" isn't the best term to use. I guess what it is, is that I'm growing accustomed to it. It seems like that's what supposed to be there, and anything else simply will not do. I still know in the logical part of my mind a change would be more functional, but it's beginning to feel wrong somehow. Thankfully, the choice is not mine. :pir-tongue:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I took another look at it, and I think you may be right after all Beckett. :pir-sad:

The capstan bars are simply too long for the allotted space. I was going to say that there is a shorter version of the "lightsaber bar" for use, but that would eliminate the ability for two mini-figs to work it. Thus, negating the point of this suggestion. So, basically ignore all my previous posts. :pir-laugh:

Edited by Foremast Jack

I think that details of your ship so far are amazing. I really like how you are doing the overall shape of the ship and I also like the stern except for the face at the top. One thing I am curious about is if you are going to put anymore details on the faces for the gun ports? :pir-classic:

I'm considering it yes, I was thinking about adding two sea weed pieces to each gunport of the lower gun deck

x1750.1191997422.jpg

Suggestions are welcome, don't hold back to make any :pir_laugh2:

Your capstan is an improvement indeed, if it fits on the ship

Best way to find out is to try it :pir_laugh2:

I don't have a lot of those technic link pieces but I do have atleast 2.

If I'm not mistaken the bars of the capstan are taken out when not in use so I suppose it is allowed to take some space.

I'll see if I can find the pieces and post a picture :pir-classic:

If I'm not mistaken the bars of the capstan are taken out when not in use so I suppose it is allowed to take some space.

I'll see if I can find the pieces and post a picture :pir-classic:

Yes, they are indeed unshipped and stored when not in immediate use. But I wouldn't expect you to use the design if it doesn't maintain functionality apart from appearance. If you can get it to work, excellent. Otherwise don't worry yourself with it.

All right, I did some capstans :pir-devil:

Starting with Foremast Jack's design, I didn't have enough of the right parts to make a complete one though.

dsc04655.jpg

(turned out that 2 technic link pieces is all I have)

dsc04689.jpg

Unfortunatly it increased size does make life aboard a bit more complicated :pir_laugh2:

I tried fitting a capstan from another wip ship on the spot.

dsc04664.jpg

dsc04682.jpg

It's a functional alternative but I don't like the color mash here, the dark brown reacts aggressively with the light grey so I might stick to my original for now. It was very interesting though.

Foremast Jack, your design is still very nice but I guess it will be more practical on a larger ship, a ship-of-the-line perhaps, one day I'll build one :pir_laugh2:

Besides the kraken hammer I also tried some new things for the lower cannon ports,

for now the best I could do was this:

demon_port_1.jpg

demon_port_2.jpg

I'll have to get more parts to apply these to the ship, I'm out of inverted slopes and I'm short on seaweed pieces (need 13).

But I feel good about this design, see how the seaweed nicely curves over the eyes.

Much better than my previous Idea.

Oh and I also intend to switch colors of the vertical tiles, I want them in dark grey but to do that I need atleast 10 of those and I only have 2 :pir_bawling:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

I really like your capstan with the brown monocles, its really elegant, though the choice is of course yours. About your idea for gunports it looks nice and adequate but Im concerned that if you replicate the same pattern through the entire ship, then it risks losing its natural, random and uncared look typical of the FD that you had already captured pirate_blush.gif

i prefer the last version of the capstan, maybe the dark brown parts could be also grey or tan or so, as dark brown doesnt seem to fit there very well in my opinion but this is very subjective

I really like your capstan with the brown monocles, its really elegant, though the choice is of course yours. About your idea for gunports it looks nice and adequate but Im concerned that if you replicate the same pattern through the entire ship, then it risks losing its natural, random and uncared look typical of the FD that you had already captured pirate_blush.gif

I think it's a bit plain as it is now, when I aplly the new design I would ofcourse keep the random gray-dark tan mix, in the picture of the new gun port design the mix looks organized, that wasn't my intention You are right though that the plan parts will hide part of the ship but I think I can still create some variety by the color of the clips plates, gray and dark gray and maybe instead of the inverted slopes I can use a different piece here and there, a technic brick, on regular slope, a square hole.

i prefer the last version of the capstan, maybe the dark brown parts could be also grey or tan or so, as dark brown doesnt seem to fit there very well in my opinion but this is very subjective

As far as I know the spyglass part only comes in dark brown, black and pearl gold, unfortunatly none of these colors are usefull here.

I will probably stick to my original design.

dsc04689.jpg

dsc04682.jpg

demon_port_1.jpg

Yes, obviously that doesn't work so well. :pir-laugh: I would like to point out though that realistically speaking there should be gratings covering those hatchways. So it would be navigable deck space, but I'm not trying to press the matter so much.

I agree with everyone else here that design using the telescopes as capstan bars looks rather catching. The colour may be a bit abrasive, but I think the design is very effective. It strikes me as very LEGO.

The seaweed around the gun-ports is superb! The revolvers I'm not as thrilled about. Looking at it I immediately thought that if you could work the raised eyebrow looking pieces above the gun-ports used to keep the ropes off the paint-work(the name has slipped my mind!) then it would be awesome! I don't know if you have plans to incorporate working ropes to raise the gun hatch covers but I think it would look quite nice regardless.

A picture of the part I'm talking about:

daunt_ports.jpg

Edited by Foremast Jack

Yes, obviously that doesn't work so well. :pir-laugh: I would like to point out though that realistically speaking there should be gratings covering those hatchways. So it would be navigable deck space, but I'm not trying to press the matter so much.

I agree with everyone else here that design using the telescopes as capstan bars looks rather catching. The colour may be a bit abrasive, but I think the design is very effective. It strikes me as very LEGO.

The seaweed around the gun-ports is superb! The revolvers I'm not as thrilled about. Looking at it I immediately thought that if you could work the raised eyebrow looking pieces above the gun-ports used to keep the ropes off the paint-work(the name has slipped my mind!) then it would be awesome! I don't know if you have plans to incorporate working ropes to raise the gun hatch covers but I think it would look quite nice regardless.

A picture of the part I'm talking about:

daunt_ports.jpg

Aha, but the Flying Dutchman does not have ropes for the hatches, the hatches are incorporated in the hull and they slide down into the side of the ship.

You can see it very will in Dead man's Chest when Jack Sparrow makes fun of Davy Jones ("I got a jar of dirt")and shortly after that the Dutchman opens fire at the Pearl :pir_laugh2:

on the upper gun deck there are no gun hatches at all, you can see that on the first appearance of teh Flying Dutchman when it rises from the sea (the water flowing out).

I did consider making the lower hatches but it was complicated, at one point I managed to design a structure that worked but it took so much space on the inside of the ship that I wasn't able to get the cannons through the ports.

However, since you brought that up and I already wanted to rework the gunports I might just look into it again :pir-classic:

Aha, but the Flying Dutchman does not have ropes for the hatches, the hatches are incorporated in the hull and they slide down into the side of the ship.

You can see it very will in Dead man's Chest when Jack Sparrow makes fun of Davy Jones ("I got a jar of dirt")and shortly after that the Dutchman opens fire at the Pearl :pir_laugh2:

on the upper gun deck there are no gun hatches at all, you can see that on the first appearance of teh Flying Dutchman when it rises from the sea (the water flowing out).

I did consider making the lower hatches but it was complicated, at one point I managed to design a structure that worked but it took so much space on the inside of the ship that I wasn't able to get the cannons through the ports.

However, since you brought that up and I already wanted to rework the gunports I might just look into it again :pir-classic:

Ah, yes. I remember now, at least I think I do. It has been some time since I've seen any of the films apart from the first. (I find the latter films to be far inferior due to their exclusions of naval terminology that was so prevalent in the first, but I digress...) Some reason I remember the gun-ports to have been great, gaping mouths through which the cannons protruded. Was this not the case?

I wonder if not the vertical raising and lowering of the gun port covers could be achieved with the following pieces.

32028.gif?0 and 4216.gif?0

The joys of making them all fit together and look appealing I leave entirely to you. :wink:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Took a second look at the gun-ports. I guess I was focusing too much on the port through which the cannon passes and I missed the forest for the trees, as they say. I see the face and mouth now I was referring to previously. And I see why the revolvers are there now. Very nice work. :pir-classic:

I am still very interested to see if you come up with something for the raising and lowering of the hatch covers.

Edited by Foremast Jack

Ive been watching the progress of your dutchman for a while without saying anything. Looks great, definatly the best I have seen in lego. The stern does look a bit busy, however I believe when you finish the rest to the stern it will even out. I also like the new gunport design as it will change up the hull and give it that un-uniformed look that the dutchman has.

-Bejuane

Just so you know the "raised eye brow pieces" are not there to keep the ropes of the paint work but they are for the rain and water flowing down along the hull, they direct the water to the sides so it doesn't get in the gun ports.

and I believe they are called "rain diverters"

Bart

Just so you know the "raised eye brow pieces" are not there to keep the ropes of the paint work but they are for the rain and water flowing down along the hull, they direct the water to the sides so it doesn't get in the gun ports.

Bart

Hmmm, very interesting. Never realized that. Thanks for the new knowledge! :pir-laugh:

Bart

Very intersting indeed.

At times I'm asking myself if it's worth it, to build such a big ship and ignoring these nice little details to stay accurate to the real model which isn't so realistic :pir-hmpf:

I wouldn't mind some dark red and pearl gold colors either but no, the dutchman is weathered and infested by vile seacreatures :pir-sick:

And yet there's something royal about the ship.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Bart

A bit off topic for this thread I am sure, but I felt compelled to share this.

So I was quite taken aback by my complete ignorance on this part of the ship. (I like to think, from time-to-time, that I know a fair bit.) I did some digging around to find the part's name. It was something of a prodigious bother to me. Thankfully, and laughably, I found it. They are called, quite affectionately I might add, the "Gun-port Wriggles." :pir_laugh2:

Very intersting indeed.

At times I'm asking myself if it's worth it, to build such a big ship and ignoring these nice little details to stay accurate to the real model which isn't so realistic :pir-hmpf:

I wouldn't mind some dark red and pearl gold colors either but no, the dutchman is weathered and infested by vile seacreatures :pir-sick:

And yet there's something royal about the ship.

I can understand your pain completely. I have been designing a LEGO version of the HMS Interceptor for about 8 months now. I will not be calling her such since the ship used for the HMS Interceptor was a modern tall ship. Instead I have taken her and used the frame and everything about her that is historically accurate for the time period and added thereto to make her more accurate still. I think I'm about ready to start building her in real life. If I don't start I feel I will keep changing things about her in LDD.

More to the point: I think you can rest assured here in disregarding the more historically accurate wriggles with the knowledge that the Flying Dutchman is something of a "submarine" apart from a sailing vessel. Seeing how she is perfectly at home below the waves as on top of them, it stands to reason that a little water running down into the port-holes isn't going to cause a great harm. :wink: