Sebeus I

Flying Dutchman WIP

If it were me I might make the curve of the bows a bit finer. Even if you're trying to stay close to the movie version, I think the lines are probably up to you. I've seen plans for the floating set but I believe that it is quite distorted as it was used for filming and not for the CG macro shots.

Yes, I already thought my bow was a bit dull, I'll redesign it ASAP.

Things are going according to plan :pir-sweet:

But I intend to change the plan a bit.

At the back of the ship on the lower gun deck I have a space suited for storage/armory.

(named "storage" on the plan)

dsc03870.jpg

dsc04016.jpg

(the 10x1 grey plate is the tiller connected to the rudder, more of that later)

dsc04019.jpg

It's not a very large space but I think it might be possible to fit the brig in there. The original plan doesn't feature a brig (though you can see one under the cross hatched part, drawn in dotted line. The dotted line indicates the submerged section)

The storage space isn't very high either, 5 bricks near the stairs, only 4 bricks and 1 plate near the stern.

The lenght of the storage is also shorted than planned. The Balcony required a large construction within the ship to safeguard a steady situation.

I'll have more pictures of that later.

Anyway, what do you think ?

Brig ?

Or Storage / Armory ?

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Well, in fact your space isn't very high. Storage areas had usually very low decks.

Anyway if you want to keep faithful to the movie's ship you should build the brig, but I doubt it would fit well in that area so short... Don't you have a way of increasing the height?

The ship is starting to have shape, continue working pirate_classic.gif

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

Well, in fact your space isn't very high. Storage areas had usually very low decks.

Anyway if you want to keep faithful to the movie's ship you should build the brig, but I doubt it would fit well in that area so short... Don't you have a way of increasing the height?

The ship is starting to have shape, continue working pirate_classic.gif

My ship does not feature the lowest deck, which is indeed usually also spacy in height.

this is just a small storage, the actual hold is situated below, partially underwater. Because I build from the waterline I needed a steady base you don't see any of that in my ship.

the storage I'm talking about is more like a secondary space, a place where weaponry can be found.

In a hystorically accurate ship the decks should follow the curve of the ship but that would make my build very complicated so I decided to reduce the curve a bit on the second gun deck and even more on the upper deck. That resulted in the storage/armory being small.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Time for an update;

dsc04044.jpg

As you can see I left out the dark green plant parts which were over the lower cannon ports. The new color scheme made them less crucial to shape the demon ports.

However, I don't think I'll be able to make more of it than a hole with two smaller holes on top of it.

I believe the possibilities with Lego are unlimited but I have to admit I might have reached a border here :pir-cry_sad:

dsc04045.jpg

dsc04067.jpg

I changed the ships bow completely, much more elegant now, part of the lower "jaw" is constructed already but I'm still strugling with the "teeth"

dsc04051.jpg

The stern got some modifications as well.

dsc04058.jpg

Sharks supporting the balcony.

dsc04056.jpg

dsc04062.jpg

There's still a lot of work and there will be a lot of challenges to overcome.

Like the "upper jaw" on the prow and the galleries

I hope she will be ready before Brickmania, the yearly belug event.

My black pearl stilll needs quite a lot of work too, it would be great if I could bring them both :pir-sweet:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Oh, this is looking so delicious. I absolutely love the shape of the hull and the detailing. Looks very gritty and real.

I'm curious, how do you carry it around? Can the whole thing just be picked up without any structural issues?

I've had to build stands for my xebec MOC, but mostly because if placed on the ground it wants to tip over and damage delicate parts.

Oh, this is looking so delicious. I absolutely love the shape of the hull and the detailing. Looks very gritty and real.

I'm curious, how do you carry it around? Can the whole thing just be picked up without any structural issues?

I've had to build stands for my xebec MOC, but mostly because if placed on the ground it wants to tip over and damage delicate parts.

There are some structural issues, yes... I was hoping they would be solved by proceeding the build but they didn't, not entirely anyway.

The prow is still a delicate part. I think I can solve it with a technic frame.

There is a technic frame throughout the ship but because of the 1/2 offsets it was difficult getting a strong connection between the sections.

As it is now it's too delicate to carry around, I might have to reconsider building a water surface to support it.

There are some structural issues, yes... I was hoping they would be solved by proceeding the build but they didn't, not entirely anyway.

The prow is still a delicate part. I think I can solve it with a technic frame.

There is a technic frame throughout the ship but because of the 1/2 offsets it was difficult getting a strong connection between the sections.

As it is now it's too delicate to carry around, I might have to reconsider building a water surface to support it.

My experience with brickbuilt hulls is A) the keel takes primarily compression loads. B) the deck is in tension, and is as important as the keel.

A 74 gun ship (three-decker) could be much stronger than a two-decker 70 gun ship simply because the extra deck gave it more rigidity.

When you try to pick up a heavy model it experiences some pretty serious shear at the places you're holding it. My xebec should be picked up by the keel, but as long as you do that it's pretty much indestructible. However, if you remove the deck and the side planking the keel can't even support its own weight.

I'm not sure how I would make a waterline model like yours "swooshable". There's no easy way to transmit the weight of the sides to the central structural spine you've created. You might be able to do it with a reinforced bottom, but I'm not really sure.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next update!

Next Update;

I've been working on the prow and I came to the constatation that the real FD has its keel split in two at the prow, very odd, you can't see it very well because the teeth hides it. There are also two bowsprits (though one of them is broken)... Anyway.

She has now a total length of 129 studs !

which makes her considerably larger than the prototype and generally any other Flying Dutchman creation on the net (which was not my goal but is nice anyway :pir_laugh2: )

dsc04176.jpg

The upper "jaw" has been installed, I only need to add the "teeth" and modify the shape a bit.

dsc04210.jpg

When that's done I can concentrate on the triple cannons.

dsc04185.jpg

dsc04183.jpg

dsc04192.jpg

I'm afraid she's a bit too wide at the triple cannons. It became that wide when I added the "upper jaw"

I might keep it like this though, it will be a lot easier to build the upper decks this way.

dsc04187.jpg

The main gun deck :pir-classic:

dsc04203.jpg

Like cb4 suggested I'm using the decks for extra strength. This means they won't be removeable, which was my original plan for a more accessible interior.

But the extra strength is necessary, Before I attached the mid deck I could not lift the ship without breaking something.

Now I can easely carry it around, it's "swooshable" :pir-sweet:

There are some weak spots though but I'm sure I can compensate those later when the build advances.

After all the most interesting interior section is the captain's quarters and that one is located on the upper deck so it shouldn't be a problem making that area accessible.

I found out that I'm running short on grey 4x1 plates, very disturbing as I wanted to use those on the "jaws" I have some dark gray plates left but I'm not sure if they would look good on it.

Maybe I'll try tan plates.

And then there's the mast problem, I don't have enough round 2x2 bricks to fully equip the Dutchman and I don't want to demolish my Pearl.

I think I'll have to buy some more parts, the stern will be a piece of art when finished so naturally I'll invest quite the amount of parts in that section :pir-sweet:

C&C appreciated :pir-classic:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Nice update! I like the interior a lot, with the inverted arches, I'm considering in using that piece in my next ship too pirate_classic.gif The stern still needs work, I think that if you are building from the waterline then the rudder shouldn't be that high. Anyway in what concerns the prow I only think that perhaps you should unite somehow with a few plates (parallel to the 4 dark grey you placed there) the structure, but I'm not very familiar with the ship so perhaps thats inaccurate.

Keep working! pirate_blush.gif

I think that if you are building from the waterline then the rudder shouldn't be that high...

Yeah, there's the gap between floor in rudder, problematic, because the rudder is under an angle I can't close the gap, I can't find an inverted slope brick that could form the sollution :pir-sceptic:

I could place another 1x2 plate to reduce the gap but there will still be a gap :pir_bawling:

She looking great! Th over all shape is fantastic. I would love to see you use this method to make a more historic Dutch 74, perhaps like Waakzaamheid, from "Desolation Island". if i have one curiosity, it's that the prow seems a bit low in the water, was the movie ship so, I'm no expert on the films?

She looking great! Th over all shape is fantastic. I would love to see you use this method to make a more historic Dutch 74, perhaps like Waakzaamheid, from "Desolation Island". if i have one curiosity, it's that the prow seems a bit low in the water, was the movie ship so, I'm no expert on the films?

The prow is low in the water but taht is one of the many odd aspects of the Flying Dutchman :pir_laugh2:

I don't think I can make a 74 gunned ship next to my flying dutchman, I'm already running short on parts but in the future maybe.

I did think about it though, to use the design of the flying dutchman with adapted balcony and prow, some nice brown colors and pearl gold accents :pir-sweet:

I really like how this is turning out, it already resembles the original very closely and I really like the colours you are using. Though some sand green wouldn't hurt it either I think.

I do have a question, what do the mine detevtors on the stern resemble?

I really like how this is turning out, it already resembles the original very closely and I really like the colours you are using. Though some sand green wouldn't hurt it either I think.

I do have a question, what do the mine detevtors on the stern resemble?

they are meant to represent demonic fish :pir_laugh2: but now that I added the sharks they might be superflues.

VERY nice ship!!!! I ove the new color-scheme, I know it's probably too late for my 2 cents to count but ... You could also add some sand green highlights those, IMHO, would round out the scheme nicely!!!

Looking forward to seeing the development

VERY nice ship!!!! I ove the new color-scheme, I know it's probably too late for my 2 cents to count but ... You could also add some sand green highlights those, IMHO, would round out the scheme nicely!!!

Looking forward to seeing the development

Thank you, I don't have a lot of sand green and I plan to use it mostly in the interior, along with some sand red and sand blue.

A view of the main deck or part of the weather deck...

dsc04230.jpg

actually I don't know, this deck is immediately over the lower deck so I suppose it is the main deck.

However this part of the main deck is exposed to the outside but only this small part so I don't know if it's acceptable to call it the weather deck considering there's a deck over the main deck as well.

:pir_wacko: argh, terminology !

dsc04239.jpg

Anyway, there's this annoying gap on the side of the ship, caused by an inaccurate use of the tumblehome technique I suppose. I tried to hide the gap with a dark green root plant part :pir-classic:

dsc04252.jpg

The triple cannons are installed and can be manipulated very well, now I only need to find something good to do with the chains.

dsc04266.jpg

(yes that's a dude with a guitar, don't you think this is a 'swinging' project :pir-tongue: )

Here's an overal view.

dsc04214.jpg

It will stay like this for a while, I don't have much inspiration for the moment which makes it hard to continue the build.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Ouch! This is fantastic! Your overall curve (both in the sides and at the bow) is amazing, and I think you have here the potential of having one of the best pirate ships ever made of Lego (no exaggeration pirate_classic.gif)!

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

Ouch! This is fantastic! Your overall curve (both in the sides and at the bow) is amazing, and I think you have here the potential of having one of the best pirate ships ever made of Lego (no exaggeration pirate_classic.gif)!

I agree, this is awesome! :pir-wub: The only inspiration you need is the new Davy Jones Minifig. :pir-grin:

:pir-cry_happy:

I agree, this is awesome! :pir-wub: The only inspiration you need is the new Davy Jones Minifig. :pir-grin:

I almost had one, someone I know said that he would trade the minifigure once he bought the Black Pearl but when he finally got it he fell in love with it :P

I guess the only way to get one would buying the pearl myself :pir-hmpf:

But it cost so much :pir_bawling:

I like the use of the grey minifigure pants. :thumbup:

Thanks, I used those in the first place because I didn't have enough grey hinge bricks but then I liked them anyway :pir_laugh2:

I think the stern might look better with less, or smaller windows.

But outside of that it looks very good. Perhaps the sides are still too smooth but I like the colourscheme.

What are the main issues where you need more information?

I think the stern might look better with less, or smaller windows.

But outside of that it looks very good. Perhaps the sides are still too smooth but I like the colourscheme.

What are the main issues where you need more information?

Right here;

dsc04289.jpg

The weather deck (where the minifigure stands on) is interupted to reveal the main deck (the deck below the weather deck) and makes it accessable via 4 stairs, two on each side.

Does this section have a name or atleast the walking platforms (with the stairs) ?

dsc04281.jpg

dsc04279.jpg

So you only need a name? I believe the "walking platforms" are called gangways (reference on the bottom of this page).

As far as I know it's very unusual for a galleon to have those, but indeed the movie Flying Dutchman has them as well.