Sign in to follow this  
Brick Miner

glow-in-the-dark color change ???

ok, so i received a BL order today containing a couple of the new batman scarcrow heads. and i notice the glow-in-the-dark material is not the same as the classic ghosts from the castle theme (actually all my other GITD pieces match the older ghost shroud material).

the bigest difference is that the scarcrow material isn't as milky white as the shrouds are ???

and it glows a lot better/easier too !!!

im having trouble combinding the two different materials into one MOC though... similar to having old and new grays together :-X :-X :-X

does anyone know if the shrouds were ever produced in this new GITD material ???

or if the scarecrow heads are produced in the milky white GITD???

- BM

I dunno anything about glowing bricks. But I guess that if it glows better, then there is a real purpose in changing !

From what I've seen, the scarecrow head is transparent to a degree, and altogether different than the classic glow-in-the-dark ghost shrouds. From the pictures I've seen of the "classic" castle re-release of the KK1 castle, that includes a ghost, they have remained the same. I guess they felt the scarecrow warrented new material so that it looked wooden...sort of. So that it looked like a scarecrow.

hmmmm... so LEGO has been known to use a different plastic, for just one piece ???

that seems odd to me.

but that is a great point about the new king's castle... i guess that would set will be the true revealer if the switch is for all GITD pieces or just the scarcrow.

thanks !!! BM

Oh, they definitely use what seems to be different plastic for identical pieces sometimes.

And since I'm a freak for any Lego that works under a fluorescent UV blacklight, here's a good example... Roborider wheels that look quite different in day AND night.

glowwheel2.jpg

glowwheel1.jpg

The less green one is also pretty clear-lookin', almost pearlized, but not.

I'm GUESSING that's a newer type, as glow in the dark toys classicly used to all look dark like the other one.

The ghost shroud, and even the Throwbot discs you see at the bottom right... the dark type.

If I recall correctly, the whiter roborider wheels came in service packs I ordered from shop@home, whereas the darker ones came in the sets.

OH! Oh, wait! I just remembered... I have about 150 of those glow in the dark, modified 1x1 teeth from a year or two ago.

They too are all different. Just as here, some are dark, some are whiter.

So, one could assume this isn't a grey/bley situation, and instead a matter of perhaps 2 different runs being made simultaneously on different machines.

Did I mention I'm a freak for Legos that glow under blacklight? X-D

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

great info jinjon !!! thanks so much *y*

so that brings me back to my question... does anyone know if the ghost shrouds were produced in this "darker" GITD material ??? or maybe i'll have to wait to see the new run on the kings castle.

- BM

i found these... and based on these two images of the ghost included in the new kings castle, it look to me like this is the "new" GITD material. it looks almost identical to the scarcrow head material.

10176-11.jpg

10176-2.jpg

the old shroud was never that transparent.

if anyone has further evidence suggesting one or the other regarding these ghost shrouds please add your comments !!!

- BM

Holy poop. The new one's TOO transparent.

The black head sticks out like a sore thumb now.

Not that replacing it with a glowing skull or something wouldn't fix it.

Very, very awkward.

I'm suprised they haven't made any full-glow minifigs yet.

If they did, they could totally bypass the cost of having to add the extra shroud piece.

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

ya, the under section (actual minifig) of the new ghost really stands out underneith this new GITD material.

i think they should have made GITD torso, arms, hands and feet to match. now that would have been a cool ghost !!!

let me point out (again) that the new material does glow like 10 times better than the old !!!

- BM

if you ask me, i think the head should be gitd, the torso, hands and legs should be gitd. the shroud should not be gitd. that would give a more authentic "ghost" appearance when the light is turned off (i.e. imagine the eyes, smile, arms and legs showing). the hands, funnily enough, are in yellow. that just strikes me as odd seeing how the head is black. oh well.... :-/

let me point out (again) that the new material does glow like 10 times better than the old !!!

Here's a quick comparison between old and new white GITD heads.

Here's two side by side, notice the translucency of the new HP head.

gitdhead.jpg

I 'charged' them by exposing them to a white superbright LED light for the same amount of time (about a minute).

The picture shows the longevity of the new material. The old material was brighter at first, but lost most of its intensity in about 15 seconds. The picture below was taken about a minute after exposure, the camera has adjusted for the intensity of the new head so both were slightly brighter, but the difference is very distinct.

gitddark.jpg

So the trade off is translucency versus brightness. I'm undecided, I like the brightness of the new ones, but I have about a dozen or more of the old ghost shrouds, and some parts, like the magic wands, haven't been made in new GITD yet.

I wonder if they glow more because there's better glow in the dark particles used, or if the transparency, the not having solid plastic in between one particle and another (thereby continually charging each other) is the reason?

It'd make sense. Less solid + more light = higher charged / higher amount of glow particles.

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

the kings castle figs have been parted out on BrickLink. and i guess they are calling this new GITD color milky white. strange, as the old GITD color is more "milky" than the new transparent stuff *wacko*

- BM

EDIT: BL must be doing maintenance because now it doesn't say "milky white" :-|