Theme: Trains

Pieces: 914

Minifigures: 3

Year of Release: 1996

Price at Release: $140

Brickset

Peeron

Bricklink

This is a great 9-Volt set, and I noticed this set had not been reviewed so I decided to take a stab at it.

INSTRUCTIONS

4564a1.jpg

MINIFIGS

4564c.jpg

ENGINE

Very interesting design. If someone knows of a real-world locomotive that may be the inspiration for this set please let me know.

4564b1.jpg

4564b2.jpg

4564b3.jpg

Diesel engine detail.

4564b4.jpg

Electric lighting hook-up. It came with the set, unlike today's sets.

4564b5.jpg

4564b6.jpg

4564b7.jpg

4564b8.jpg

ROLLING STOCK

4564g.jpg

Two of these are included.

4564h.jpg

CARGO

4564d1.jpg

4564d2.jpg

4564e1.jpg

4564e2.jpg

4564f1.jpg

4564f2.jpg

TRANSPORT TRUCK

4564i1.jpg

4564i2.jpg

4564i3.jpg

4564i4.jpg

CARGO DEPOT

This set was a showcase for the playability of LEGO Trains...

4564j1.jpg

Cargo scale and Ballast Loader

4564j2.jpg

4564j3.jpg

4564j7.jpg

Ballast Deposit

4564j4.jpg

Cranes

4564j5.jpg

A lot of things can get done here...

4564j8.jpg

TLG needs to revisit their past for inspiration a little more...

4564j9.jpg

Empty Scale

4564j6.jpg

Empty Ballast Container

4564j10.jpg

Filled Ballast Container

4564j11.jpg

Too Easy...

4564j12.jpg

MISC

Many different combinations

4564k1.jpg

4564k2.jpg

What is this?

4564k3.jpg

DYNAMITE? LEGO seems to have a history of hauling dangerous cargo.

4564k4.jpg

CONCLUSION

Pieces: 9/10 - It's the largest of any LEGO Train set, excluding the track-less engine/train sets. There are many different pieces with interesting uses.

Minifigures: 7/10 - Nothing spectacular, however I love the classic minifigs because they were unique to trains. Today the train minifigs are not all that unique to the train sets.

Build: 9/10 - Very fun to build with a lot of different uses of the pieces.

Price: 7/10 - $140, by today's standards that's a bargain but back in 1996 it was a lot...At least that's what my mom tells me...

Playability: 10/10 - This set is great in the playability department. Cranes, Scales, Ballast Loaders, Trucks...it has it all and can be configure in many different ways. I believe this is the most playable set in LEGO Trains.

Overall: 9/10 - A must have if you can find it on eBay for a decent price. Great playability, fun build, 9-Volt with lights, fun for days, and a great addition to anyone's collection.

4564l.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this review...Take care...

Edited by typo

I don't know exact real life engines I can directly compair it to, but I think the engine was supposed to be a short-haul yard shunter.

My favorite part of this set was definitely the scale. That was absolutely brilliant of Lego.

Having you picture a Sumo on the scale was definitely very sweet!!

:sweet::laugh:

I definitely enjoyed that.

Great Review for a Great Set.

Brick On!!!

Great review, and a fantastic set.

Sadly, it didn't survive from when I owned it in the 90s, odd considering most things did. It is definitely a must re-buy for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing this image review Typo. I've always had mixed feelings about this set but must admit that I never picked it up during the late 9V era.

I see that you added a Train Tech graphic Typo. This signifies that your review has been indexed by a moderator. I've indexed and added a poll.

Thanks 'Typo' for this review, an AWESOME classic town train set with a 6 wide truck (having also an interesting way to gain access to the cabin...gives me an idea). :classic:

From this I can see where 3677 gets some of it's ideas from too ! :grin:

Brick On everyone ! :grin:

Good review 'typo'. This is an excellent set. I've been trying to get one on eBay for a while now. Keep missing the final countdowndefault_sceptic.gif Oh well, one day. Thanks for the review default_classic.gif

This was my first 9v train set. (Only had the 4.5v 7722 Steam Cargo Train before that.) It was the color scheme and cranes that sold me on it. I even got the 2126 Train Cars to go with it back then. (Christmas then Birthday presents respectively) The engine was always kind of weird looking1 to me, in a good way though. :laugh: I too would be curious to know if anyone knows what type of engine was being represented by this set. I don't think LEGO has ever otherwise released an engine that wasn't at least close to a real one.

1The whole reason I bought the Super Chief was to have a "real" engine for this set. At the time I didn't realize the Super Chief was supposed to represent an old passenger engine, it looked like a modern freight engine to me. When the passenger cars for the Super Chief came out I kind of scratched my head and ignored them thinking that was just plain crazy. :cry_sad:

Excellent review, I remember watching this set as a kid, and I couldn't even dream to get it. It's indeed one of the sets with the greatest playability, at least for it's time.

I not 100% about this, but at the time I was under the impression that this particular set didn't come with a speed regulator in AUS - anyone know if this was true? I seem to recall that TLC sold the regulator and power cable as a separate product in that catalog.

I don't think LEGO has ever otherwise released an engine that wasn't at least close to a real one.

There's at least two I can think of: 4559 Cargo Railway, and 4561 Railway Express.

Both those trains I consider in the true "What the hell were they smoking in Denmark?" realm of design. I prefer to walk off my trains not get lifted off via forklift, and i also prefer my locomotives longer than a family car haha.

It didn't come with a speed reg in Holland, and yeah, that black/yellow 'cargo railway' was hilariously bad looking.

- Sok.

Ah, I remember when me and my friends first saw this set in the Lego catalog back in (sorry if I make anyone feel old) grade school.

We loved the functions of the set and I liked how it came with a road baseplate.

My family agreed on the price being too high also so I never got a copy.

I would buy this set if I found a complete set at a decent price.

One could put the cranes on a car and create a track building train. :sweet:

I would buy this set if I found a complete set at a decent price.

I bought mine for $80 Buy-it-now on eBay. With auctions, I've seen some go for $100 or even less. I definitely think it's worth it.