26 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

traintech1.jpg

Hi everybody! This is my review of Lego 4564 Freight Rail Runner, probably my favorite train that Lego has released.

Basic info:

Set name: Freight Rail Runner

Set number: 4564

Year released: 1994 (Europe), 1995 (US)

Number of pieces: 587

Theme: Train/9v

Price: $134.00

Another dusty classic I recently relieved of storage in a rubbermaid container!

Catalog:

dscn0378.jpg

Here is the box

dscn0332.jpg

I'm not sure why it has that warning symbol on it but I wouldn't dare try ripping it off. Here a comparison to another box without the sticker

dscn0372.jpg

The front flap

dscn0333.jpg

The back of the box

dscn0375.jpg

What it looks like MI(S)B

dscn0373.jpg

dscn0374.jpg

The instructions:

dscn0331.jpg

And a few random pages

dscn0336.jpg

dscn0337.jpg

dscn0338.jpg

The pieces:

dscn0330.jpg

Interesting pieces:

dscn0340.jpg

The build:

These containers are able to be picked up by the tow truck and placed on the gray car. The doors fold down to load cargo. One has the train logo and the other the mail logo.

dscn0342.jpg

This is the tow/crane truck, it uses a rather unique device to haul the cargo onto its bed. Very similar to that used in 6353.

The chassis is built

dscn0343.jpg

The hook equipment is partially set into place

dscn0344.jpg

Instruction page detailing how the hook works.

dscn0345.jpg

The finished hook on the truck, there is a constant tension from the rubber band pulling the hook down, with the string counteracting the force.

dscn0346.jpg

Almost done

dscn0347.jpg

The finished truck

dscn0348.jpg

Loading demonstration

dscn0349.jpg

dscn0350.jpg

dscn0351.jpg

dscn0352.jpg

Platform. This allows the truck to reach the gray car to deposit cargo.

dscn0353.jpg

The yellow engine. This is probably my favorite part of the set, the engine just comes together very nicely.

The beginning of the engine, train base + a few pieces

dscn0354.jpg

The motors are built and put into place

dscn0355.jpg

The doors covering the motors are applied

dscn0356.jpg

Steps in the instruction showing completion of engine and start of wheels

dscn0357.jpg

The finished engine. I apparently have the door stickers wrong. They are supposed to be on the lower part of the door, but I think they look better in the middle.

dscn0358.jpg

The gray train base plate that fell victim to my dog many years ago

dscn0359.jpg

The bases for all three rolling stock are built the same way, just the plate base is a different color.

dscn0360.jpg

Near completion

dscn0361.jpg

The finished gray wagon, it can rotate 90 degrees to pick up cargo

dscn0362.jpg

The red hopper, my favorite of the cars. This is halfway through the build, after the dumping apparatus has been built. This page in the instructions details the design.

dscn0363.jpg

The finished red hopper car

dscn0366.jpg

Halfway through the build of the blue boxcar, after the dumping apparatus has been built. This page in the instructions details the design which is the same as that of the red hopper but it is smaller and white instead of gray.

dscn0368.jpg

Near the end of the build

dscn0369.jpg

The finished set

dscn0371.jpg

Rating:

Based on design, minifigs, playability, price, and parts.

Design: 10/10 Compared to other train sets this has so much more function. The truck is the most playable truck of all train sets, and the hopper car and box car both have working dumpers. The gray car has a rotating cargo capability and the locomotive is just perfect imo.

Minifigs: 5/10 3 is pretty pathetic for a set this size, 4563 suffers from this as well. Especially when 4558 is on the other end of the spectrum with 11!

Playability: 10/10 Much more playability than other trains imo by itself

Price: 8/10 Not the most expensive train, but by no means cheap

Parts: 10/10 I really love the parts in this set many different color plates and bricks, string, rubber bands, train track, technic pieces for the working functions.

Overall: 43/50, but I really don't consider the minifigs and price to be that much of a detraction. I think this set is near perfect!

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for this classic trains review 'jd5775', doesn't this remind us of a new train set in a way eh ? :wink:

Brick On ! :grin:

Great review jd! I am eager to get the new Red Cargo Train set because of the similarity to this set. As I don't own this set, and have never seen it in as good detail as you have pictured, I am most impressed by the loading mechanism on the truck, it has inspired me to search out those pieces and build some roll-off trucks. Thanks again!

Great review jd! I am eager to get the new Red Cargo Train set because of the similarity to this set. As I don't own this set, and have never seen it in as good detail as you have pictured, I am most impressed by the loading mechanism on the truck, it has inspired me to search out those pieces and build some roll-off trucks. Thanks again!

The same loading mechanism was used in 6353 Coastal Cutter, a 1991 set from the Nautica line. Not sure it will be any easier to come by (I love mine and would never get rid of it), but it's bound to be cheaper than this one. The mechanism works really well and was used to pull a small one-man boat onto the larger cutter.

Thank you for sharing this nice review JD. I truly love these classic 9V sets. I think my favorite aspect is the engine and cargo containers (love those yellow and red hinge pieces). The truck is also a nice aspect/component of this set in 4-stud wide fashion.

Great set and I wish I had one of these. Looks like yours is in pretty good shape.

I've indexed and added a poll so our train fans can cast a newer rating.

Top notch! :thumbup:

I've never owned any of the 9v sets but this one looks sweet, though 12v still owns my heart :)

Edited by Sokratesz

For me the best cargo train set Lego ever released (as far as I can tell). I prefer it over 4563 as the (yellow) loc has 8 wheels where the (red) loc from 4563 just 4. Like that symbol of power. What I dislike about releases after this one is they all have a color scheme (4565 is red + black for all cars and loc for example). In industry color schemes are not that present. I am also big fan of the red hopper in this one. Hence I like 4536 as well. 

The B-model is pretty well too btw. 

I am surprised one year after this one was released Lego released 4565. Why so fast?

Edited by Gainn

Please, as per the forum rules, do not post in threads that have been silent for a long time. This thread is 10 years old. You can open a new thread expressing your love for 4564, and post a link to this thread, but do not directly post here. Thanks.