jasonsmith

10179 UCS Falcon Pricing

This goes for all Lego sets that are no longer in production. When it comes to Star Wars the prices get ridiculous especially on eBay and many of them sit around because no one will pay the insane prices being asked. Lego has a way with re-releasing sets like the Imperial Star Destoyer. The second one apparently not as nice as the first. They also re-released the town holiday sets which really pissed off the hoarders because they couldn't charge 10x their value anymore. With that said we may see this set again but toned down some.

Sorry - was the 10030 set re-released? I thought it was on continuous release from 2002 through till 2008, but was affected in the 2004 colour change when it also got the manual revamp (glued spine to spiral bound) - were there other changes to the construction?. I also thought that any re-release had a new set number? *huh*

As I know, the 10030 was made first in old grey, then changed to bley. With the same set number on both versions. If there are any design changes? I don't know as I have only the instructions from Lego official support page and they are showing old gray parts. So, a color change can be done within the same set number, but a design/construction change gives you a new number?

As far as i heard some versions of the 10030 came with a mixture of old greys and bleys. But was there also a "official"version completely in bley? That would make a good (new) BL-goal after finishing the falcon!

As far as i heard some versions of the 10030 came with a mixture of old greys and bleys. But was there also a "official"version completely in bley? That would make a good (new) BL-goal after finishing the falcon!

Mine is all in bley, so yes there was. :classic:

i hate how some sets jump up in price while others are low. 7675 is now over 200 on ebay

Ultimately I'd like to see a much bigger supply of available single pieces in BrickLink. If Lego had a "proper" way to just by pieces it would be much easier for all of us to build whatever we wanted. I would glady buy $10,000 in pieces and sell them off at a minor profit but don't know how to get them. Those who want to collect the sets with boxes, books etc can still do that and were not effected by the supply and demand phenomenon.

Ultimately I'd like to see a much bigger supply of available single pieces in BrickLink. If Lego had a "proper" way to just by pieces it would be much easier for all of us to build whatever we wanted. I would glady buy $10,000 in pieces and sell them off at a minor profit but don't know how to get them. Those who want to collect the sets with boxes, books etc can still do that and were not effected by the supply and demand phenomenon.

Imagine how large their warehouses would need to be to have a supply of every brick at our disposal.? It wouldn't be cost effective enough

Imagine how large their warehouses would need to be to have a supply of every brick at our disposal.? It wouldn't be cost effective enough

Ya not for us on a piece by piece basis per say but for us who want to buy a large quantity of something to make it worth doing a run of parts.

i hate how some sets jump up in price while others are low. 7675 is now over 200 on ebay

Only MISB sets. I picked up my 4th copy of that set (used) only last month for UK RRP. :thumbup:

But just that moment can be done for you by BL - set the "Set My Minimum Desired Qty for each Item to Qty of Items in Inventor" checkbox at the Part-Out page and you will have the proper amount of each piece automatically...

Sort of off topic but not really, but is there a way to just show 'new' or 'used' parts in BL because when you "Set My Minimum Desired Qty for each Item to Qty of Items in Inventor" checkbox it does it for both then I spend a bunch of time unchecking the 'new' or 'used' depending on what I want. This is on topic because this is what I am doing for the Falcon UCS now.

As a relative newbie, please accept my apologies in advance if this is a stupid suggestion, but this thread has got me thinking:

Is there any merit in setting up a new thread for members to add links to Ebay where there is potentially a good deal on offer as a ‘Buy it Now’? I know other (vintage) SW forums seem to frown on auction ‘outing’, so I guess it would be best to avoid these. However, I occasionally spot SW Lego bargains advertised as ‘Buy it Now’ that I don’t want, or already have, and it would be good if I could help a fellow Eurobrick member with their collecting!

Perhaps we could limit it to discontinued, or UCS, sets?

Just a thought. Mods please feel free to remove this if needed. Cheers, Robin :classic:

Edited by Lobot

As a relative newbie, please accept my apologies in advance if this is a stupid suggestion, but this thread has got me thinking:

Is there any merit in setting up a new thread for members to add links to Ebay where there is potentially a good deal on offer as a ‘Buy it Now’? I know other (vintage) SW forums seem to frown on auction ‘outing’, so I guess it would be best to avoid these. However, I occasionally spot SW Lego bargains advertised as ‘Buy it Now’ that I don’t want, or already have, and it would be good if I could help a fellow Eurobrick member with their collecting!

Perhaps we could limit it to discontinued, or UCS, sets?

Just a thought. Mods please feel free to remove this if needed. Cheers, Robin :classic:

Hmm not a bad idea, but I have found the Bricklink tends to have a lot better deals then E Bay. E Bay I feel tends to jack the prices up, and its rare to find good sets. Usually Craigslist is the best place to look, or gargage sales.

have been buying pieces for the 10179 on bricklink and using lego customer service, and so far i have got around 2000 bricks (fortunately a lot of the light bluish wedges) for the set. i intend to get as close to the real set as possible, so i will probably end up paying the hefty pricess for the original sticker sheet and the original instructions. Now i see that a documnet of authencity is with the set, but did this letteronly come with the first release of this set or all??

Now i see that a documnet of authencity is with the set, but did this letteronly come with the first release of this set or all??

Only the first edition sets.

I am giving some serious thought to parting this one out with BL also. Buying the original set is out of the question at this point, but the nice thing about going through Bricklink is that I can buy different lots of pieces over time and spread the cost out a bit.

Sort of off topic but not really, but is there a way to just show 'new' or 'used' parts in BL because when you "Set My Minimum Desired Qty for each Item to Qty of Items in Inventor" checkbox it does it for both then I spend a bunch of time unchecking the 'new' or 'used' depending on what I want. This is on topic because this is what I am doing for the Falcon UCS now.

You can specify if you want only new parts when you create the Wanted-list during a part-out of a set ("Wanted In" setting). This way will give you only new parts in the stores. I don't know if it helps as I'm not really following what you are trying to do. But if you want to build your Falcon from new parts only, the easiest way is to use the setting when you part out the set.

almost there, almost there. i miss 200 (not the hard to find ones;-) bricks and im done with all parts for the 10179, i have spent aprox 350 euro. thats without the minifigs and the instruction books. Lego customer service has been very helpfull, ordered lots of the technic bricks, join ball connectors and other not easy to find bricks. Lego actually has way better pricess on the hard to find ones than bricklink. And i was very lucky to receive a small gift from lego as well. Have placed 25 orders at different bricklink sellers. Now we are waiting for the last orders to arrive and can hopefully start build next weekend.

almost there, almost there. i miss 200 (not the hard to find ones;-) bricks and im done with all parts for the 10179, i have spent aprox 350 euro. thats without the minifigs and the instruction books. Lego customer service has been very helpfull, ordered lots of the technic bricks, join ball connectors and other not easy to find bricks. Lego actually has way better pricess on the hard to find ones than bricklink. And i was very lucky to receive a small gift from lego as well. Have placed 25 orders at different bricklink sellers. Now we are waiting for the last orders to arrive and can hopefully start build next weekend.

You've inspired me to do the same, I am downloading the instructions now. One sold for over $2k on eBay a few weeks ago (before the scammers started) and this is the only way I think to put it together. the minifigs are insignificant, so it really is a matter of either sorting out all my pieces, or just buying the lot.

You've inspired me to do the same, I am downloading the instructions now. One sold for over $2k on eBay a few weeks ago (before the scammers started) and this is the only way I think to put it together. the minifigs are insignificant, so it really is a matter of either sorting out all my pieces, or just buying the lot.

using the 10179 inventory and add to your wanted list makes is so much easier when you use bricklink. i bought the following parts using lego customer service light bluish gray boat mast rigging 47996, dark bluish gray 1x16 with holes 3703, the light bluish gray lever with base 298c05, light bluish gray wedge left and right 6564 and 6565, light bluish gray pin connector 75535. but some of the bricks easy to find on bricklink 2-3 weeks ago is really getting expensive and hard to find, so maybe it would be a good idea to get these from lego as well yellow technic brick angle 32555. Btw the satelite dish and the sticker sheet is a licensed product so lego customer service aint allowed to sell those.(but customer service is great at lege ;-)

i used lego.com and used the usa "interface" then at the bottom corner of the webpagee you can click missing part under customer service, then you get to a page where you have to type your age, then you type in the set number and the parts needed for that set appears. to get 61 of one part and 47 of another takes very long, so i just got one of each and when i received a mail form lego with a reference number i called lego and told them what i needed.

The one thing that I learnt through the whole process is that BrickLink was very expensive. There are many stores that take full advantage of the supply and demand concept making prices for some pieces very very high. Try and keep your price per piece count low and check with Lego before you purchase anything that is expensive. I could have saved at least $50 or more by doing it differently. BL is a good source but you really have to find the right stores. Lego also has a fixed shipping price up to 250 pieces so you don't have to suffer there either.

I wish I could have done it all for 350 euro, was that including shipping as well?

Edited by jasonsmith

The one thing that I learnt through the whole process is that BrickLink was very expensive. There are many stores that take full advantage of the supply and demand concept making prices for some pieces very very high. Try and keep your price per piece count low and check with Lego before you purchase anything that is expensive. I could have saved at least $50 or more by doing it differently. BL is a good source but you really have to find the right stores. Lego also has a fixed shipping price up to 250 pieces so you don't have to suffer there either.

I wish I could have done it all for 350 euro, was that including shipping as well?

350 is with shipping, but i forget to tell that i found aprox. 500-600 bricks in my own piles of lego. I placed a lot of small orders and from the start i was focused on finding the cheapest bricklink sellers. didnt place any large orders but a lot of small ones. placed on large order at an uk seller who had very reasonable pricess. further more i have not been focused on getting entirely new brikcs i would guess that 20% of the bricks bought has been used.

I have lots of respect for anyone who is trying to build a Falcon by sourcing all of the parts from Bricklink etc, it must be a serious undertaking! I started building mine again last night, and I’d almost forgotten how large it was! I totally agree with the comments about Lego Customer Services; they have been totally brilliant on the couple of occasions that I have contacted them :classic:

Hello. I thought about it after reading a post at bricksetforum.com from a guy who had done it. I contacted him (to get some advises) and some bricklink seller and all of them told me that it would be much more expensive than buying the set, even the guy at brickset (he lives in New Zeland, I think, and told me that he didn't know the exact amount but clearly he had spent more than 800 euros including the shipping costs; he expected my cost would me less as I live in Spain)

So 350 euros sounds great!

I've to say I had the set in my hands twice last year (in different shops) and did't buy it (600 euros was the price then...) I regret not doing so... I even thought about buying both of them, keeping one and selling the other (not seriously, just crossed my mind) At the actual prices, mine would have been for free.

Regards

Edited by Rick Deckard

i forgot to add my order from lego customer service which was 457 dkr which is euro 60, the last order is placed at bricklink now and was 40 euro, so total for the 10179 is around 450. still its a good price and the only thing i miss is the original box and the instructions manual but i thnk i will have to live without those, they are very high priced. i dont know for sure but think that price for the falcon was 475 euro when it was available at lego shop

It was quite an undertaking that's for sure. Looking back, 27 BL orders, 1 Lego order, all but 4 orders were from within North America, 99.9% new parts, 100% accurate colors. It was a lot of fun, it totally consumed me for a good two weeks. I was traveling some in there as well, so many transactions were done on my mobile plaforms. Was great having packages come to the house everyday for a few weeks there. I waited till all the BL orders were received and counted, then I made my last order from Lego to fill in the blanks.

The down side... Over $100 in shipping costs when totaled.

If your thinking about it, budget $600-$800 usd and have fun.