Sign in to follow this  
El Bucanero

HMS Interdictor

thindexedgif.gif 52b

If I am not mistaking, this frigate hasn't been on eurobricks before

look what I found! maybe you all have seen it, but I think it is time too discuss it *pirate* interdictorstand.jpg

HMS Interdictor, gallery is here

A moc by MSG14

Arr

Mr Tiber

It's interesting i find the color scheme rather over done the red white and black that is but that's just me, in some of his other pics he uses white sails which looks good.

The flags then of course don't suit the color scheme and sails.

The strencastle is pretty nice but i think it's a little large given the size and lenght of the ship, which brings me to my next point

the lenght of the ship i think doesnt suit it the sails seems crammed together and i think the triangular mid sail needs to be higher or not there at all.

The cannons seem sto be a little excessive where you have 2 big ones on the bridge and the bow, in most cases these would have been 9 pounder rail mounted cannons.

The life boats on the deck seem a little cramped.

Now the good:

I like the name of the ship.

I like the expansions on the BSB and SES designs.

I wish i could afford real cannons like he can but my design has left it open that i could still use real ones.

I like the life raft lower system off the back though that is nice and sweet.

Thats about it.

I likes the look of the ship... The creator has managed to create a mutli-deck ship without making it look too bulky. The sail configuration works for me too except I don't like the Black Seas Barracuda sails with the Imperial Guard flag - that combination doesn't work for me.

I like it that the ship has cannons on the top deck but doesn't looks too packed with cannons, the BSB sails dont really work with the blue flag, but it looks okay with the white sails, an extra mast in the middle would look good, I hope the creator joines EB soon!

This is one of those ships that could benefit from custom sails. However, would the bail stripe sails from the Caribbean Clipper work, or would the reaction be "That's just another Caribbean Clipper variation" even though this MOC is a completely different design altogether.

Why don't you think the Caribben Clipper sails would work well Mr Tiber? I think at the very least their colour wouldn't clash so much with the colour of the flags.

Fantastic find. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I think the sails would work better if they were custom but what really impressed me was the detail. I love the working area and the admirals cabin that looked like there was an attention to the detail.

I do think there is good proportion but I'm not a big fan of a raft hanging from the stern, in that I love detail in the stern... this is the place that ship can get some "identity" and character and if you hide that with the life boat...

Another great inspiration none the less. Wondering if they are still building these days?

Nobody ever mentioned somebody about the masts, so I think I should: There are not enough for a frigate, and besides they need to be taller, Admiral Starwind said some things about the sails, like the triangle sail in the middle, you're right, it should be higher or it shouldn't be there , if there were the usual three masts it wouldn't even fit in. The cabin is also too big for the ship what makes it look kinda bulky, the top deck guns are a bit strangly seperated over the deck, he should use all space, or leave a space in the front.

It is a nice ship but not really the most accurate...

SirScottLego, who do you mean with ''they''??

I like the ship but agree with Mr. Timber that the cabin is too big.

I wonder if it is wise to put guns at such a high position??

interdictorpoopdeck.jpg

No I don't think so. Chasers, as these cannons are called, are usual placed lower, like on this fine ship

AASC.jpg

Most ships had chasers at the stern and at the bow.

Sorry for the double post but I have something more to say about the placement of these guns.

Like I said, they were usualy set lower, but on some ships, there were cannons on the quarterdeck, the Acheron for example. Sorry but I havn't got a picture of it...

You could use the "Edit" button if you do not wish to double post Mr Tiber.

Could you explain to everyone what a "chaser" is?

You could use the "Edit" button if you do not wish to double post Mr Tiber.

Stupid me 8-|

Could you explain to everyone what a "chaser" is?

Chasers are the cannons on the front and aft of a ship

Wikipedia quote:

In the form bow chaser or stern chaser, naval cannons pointing forward or aft and used in ship chases

Could you provide a link to that Wikipedia article?

We could add it to one of our threads that cater for ship terminology.

I personally don't like all these lightly armed two masters. They don't work for me. I like the 2 decks, but there are only like 10-12 guns. The chasers are good, but it doesn't look right to me without another mast.

:skel1:

*y*

Overall i like the ship. It's kinda plain. But plain in the way, that i think it looks like many other ships. But besides from that i think it's a great ship. To me it looks like a real ship would look and that is good I think. That the maker has maneged to build it so that it looks like real ships.

I noticed something. The maker has written that i has got 22 cannons, but i can only count 20.

Overall i like the ship. It's kinda plain. But plain in the way, that i think it looks like many other ships. But besides from that i think it's a great ship. To me it looks like a real ship would look and that is good I think. That the maker has maneged to build it so that it looks like real ships.

I noticed something. The maker has written that i has got 22 cannons, but i can only count 20.

In case you didn't notice, there are also 2 guns at the bow:

interdictor.jpg

So that makes: 2 guns at the bow, 2 guns at the stern, 9 guns at both sides= 22! X-D

Mr Tiber

Sorry for the double post but I have something more to say about the placement of these guns.

Like I said, they were usualy set lower, but on some ships, there were cannons on the quarterdeck, the Acheron for example. Sorry but I havn't got a picture of it...

On the USS Constitution the stern chasers are also placed on the quaterdeck and not below the captain's cabin.

stern-horiz.jpg

Typically a brig would only have one gun deck though.

That is if this builder wanted to go for realistic :-$

Besides the stern being a little square, i think this builder did a pretty good job at making a lego ship realistic.

I like that there's a row boat on the maindeck and another mounted on the stern.

P