Yatkuu

You can reach… but you can’t grab it

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

In 1997, U2 had this insane idea to build a 12 meter high mirror ball Lemon for the Popmart Tour… what’s even more insane is that it was not just a giant Lemon… the thing was motorized and could fit the entire band! I’m sure anyone who has seen 1 of these concerts remembers the climax when they come out of it and when Bono starts to sing Discotheque.

I now give you the Lego version.

Ok, so I know it’s a long shot but I would like to offer this MOC to the band (actually not really give it for free but I’d like to exchange if for a donation to Amnesty, Greenpeace or One.org).

My way to thank them for all the good times they gave me so far…so… if you happen to be a member of U2 or you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows a member of U2… please spread the word!

lemon-1s.jpg

lemon-2s.jpg

band.jpg

This build is just as insane as the original idea…

Here are a couple of fun facts:

- the Lemon is a modified Bran’ sphere with a 10 studs wide core design http://lego.bldesign.org/sphere/

- the damned thing weighs +-800gr (only the Lemon)

- +- 30cm height (with stand)

- +- 1000 yellow plates

- the lemon can be closed with the figs inside standing up just like the real deal

Here’s a making-off shot…

making-off.jpg

Now, unless you actually saw one of these concerts you must think that I am completely mad…so here is a reference picture to show you that they really did it.

reference.jpg

Thanks for watching, and please check my other U2 MOCs!

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Ok, so I know it’s a long shot but I would like to offer this MOC to the band (actually not really give it for free but I’d like to exchange if for a donation to Amnesty, Greenpeace or One.org).

My way to thank them for all the good times they gave me so far…so… if you happen to be a member of U2 or you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows a member of U2… please spread the word!

Let's see what we can do.

~LCM

This is probably my favourite U2-based build from you so far. :grin:

The shape of the lemon is great, but that it opens up to reveal the band is even better and as has already been said, great choice of minifigs! :thumbup:

This brings back happy memories of their concerts, I really hope there are more MOCs from you to come. :sweet:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Please note I also made a video/slide show with "Discotheque" playing in the background... turn up the volume and check it on my Flickr, here is the link

Let's see what we can do.

~LCM

... hehe, that sounds promising! Thank you for your help!

It is clever practise to build up with the mix-color brick in the first stage.

And like the the core of the lemon to show the band!

Dude. Craziness. So well built. Nothing to critic, you are attempting to make something from real-life and succeeded in capturing it perfectly! Immediately recognizable as the reference picture.

Personally I thought this was one of the biggest downfalls about the band however, you did an amazing job! I would think any major U2 fan would love to own something like this. Well done!