Israel_B

Building 6289 Red Beard Runner vs 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty

I'm fortunate that I just got both these ships used from a kind bricklink seller. I built the (re-issue) Brickbeard's Bounty first and was nothing but impressed at the set and instructions. Everyone agrees it is an amazing ship. That done I built the 6289 Red Beard Runner next. This set didnt come with original instructions but I was able to get them off the lego.com support site. The build seemed over complicated, the instructions unclear and just wrong in some places. Is this a difference of how instructions are done these days vs back then or are my impressions of the RBR completely off base?

Pardon me if I'm crossing well trod ground. I'm new here and have tried to look through the posting archives but if this was covered and I missed it, my apologies.

I myself dont find earlier instruction books that hard, but it is clear at instruction books are now more clearer and makes the build easier, it shows the pieces wich you need, and the amount of them ETc. In early days, there wasnt such things. So yeah, quality of instruction booklets is increased i would say.

Captain Becker

The older instructions are a little harder to read in my opinion, but I like the older ones rather than the new ones. The new ones you'll find a whole page dedicated to 2-3 pieces, older instructions added MANY more bricks per step and its hard to catch them. So as an adult, I like the older instructions cause it's more of a challenge, now a days, even with sets labelled 16+ I'm pretty sure a 12 year old could follow them.

That being said, I think Brickbeard's bounty is much better designed than Red Beard Runner and thus may be easier to follow.

The red beard runner is to my opinion a more interesting ship, partially because of its complexity, I love its cabin.

As said already the more recent instructions are much easier though personally I'm often having difficulties with finding the right color, black and dark gray are almost the same.

Anyway, Brickbeard's Bounty may be easier to build but the RBR is much more interesting, it just takes a little bit more of an effort.

I'm fortunate that I just got both these ships used from a kind bricklink seller. I built the (re-issue) Brickbeard's Bounty first and was nothing but impressed at the set and instructions. Everyone agrees it is an amazing ship. That done I built the 6289 Red Beard Runner next. This set didnt come with original instructions but I was able to get them off the lego.com support site. The build seemed over complicated, the instructions unclear and just wrong in some places. Is this a difference of how instructions are done these days vs back then or are my impressions of the RBR completely off base?

Pardon me if I'm crossing well trod ground. I'm new here and have tried to look through the posting archives but if this was covered and I missed it, my apologies.

A re-issued Brickbeard's Bounty? Are you sure you don't mean Black Seas Barracuda?

A re-issued Brickbeard's Bounty? Are you sure you don't mean Black Seas Barracuda?

It is definitely 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty. I could of course be mistaken on the re-issue point.

It is definitely 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty. I could of course be mistaken on the re-issue point.

When I came out of my dark age, I thought for sure that Brickbeard's Bounty was the exact same as a ship I had as a kid and Lego was still producing older sets. I was totally wrong. In fact, going back and seeing just the differences in minfigure printing was staggering! Things seemed so much more exciting and vivid in my mind's eye.

But yeah Brickbeard's Bounty is not a re-issue; it's from the 2009 Pirates line (on store shelves until the past 6-8 months or so). The re-issues you're probably thinking of are from the "Legends" line that they had for a short time. They re-did a couple of the pirate ships and one of the castles. The "Legends" had notable differences and they weren't 100% true to the originals, it seems. I think the Legends sets were some time around 2000-2004. I'm too lazy to dig up links on brickset or bricklink. :pir-hmpf_bad: