I wonder is it possible to motorise the unimog with out messing around with the original design to much,a simple easy way and been able to keep it 4x4 too :wacko:

I don't own the Mog yet, but I've been thinking... Wouldn't it be possible to put an old RC motor on one side (move over M motor or replace battery box with the 8x4x4 ones that come with Train sets) and connect it to the central diff via a worm gear? I heard that the RC motor is a fast one, so the speed should be decent.

Anyone willing to try?

Oh, and that's a gorgeous mod you've got there, Efferman!

Oh, and that's a gorgeous mod you've got there, Efferman!

thanks

i have not tried it, but i think there is no problem with motorizing the full drivetrain. on book one, step 23 you can see that the axle which is assembled in understep 6 is longer than needed. attach an XL at this point and you will have a powered 4x4 with a powered fake engine. maybe there is a need to raise the torque with a 24/8 setup in the portal hubs. the steering motor could be placed in the cab.

With the XL Motor is the Unimog fast and strong enought. It works very good:

zbq24js2.jpg

v7oettc3.jpg

Only the Liftarm in Book 2, Page 10, Step 4 you can´t use the 11 long Liftarm. Take a 9 long Liftarm. Then it´s enought space on the rear axel for the XL motor.

The old RC Motor (from 8366) are faster, that´s right, but not strong enought for this big unimog. I don´t think that it work.

Only thing is, the batteries are very fast empty. After 5 Minutes the unimog are very slowly. With two XL Motors, you need 2 Batterie Box with together 12 Battries. But then is the unimog more massy.

Uhm,

is that with the LED's off or on ? With LED's ON I'm not that surprised. Those 20 LED's use a hole lot of power.

Edited by Dutch_EE

yea, with the LED´s on. 20 LED's use a hole lot of power, I know that :classic:

But it looks very nice :sweet:

zbq24js2.jpg

v7oettc3.jpg

Only the Liftarm in Book 2, Page 10, Step 4 you can´t use the 11 long Liftarm. Take a 9 long Liftarm. Then it´s enought space on the rear axel for the XL motor.

The old RC Motor (from 8366) are faster, that´s right, but not strong enought for this big unimog. I don´t think that it work.

Can this not be done while keeping it 4x4?

Mmmh, I don't like that the motor is attached to the so called unsuspended masses. I should be attached to the frame.

But good to know, that the whole thing is strong enough for motorization.

Regards,

Gerhard

Hi There,

i just took an hour of fooling around a bit with my unimog.

I might have a way to putt an XL-Motor into the mainframe without changing to overall design.

First i replaced the two rear 13-hole liftarms on the upper frame with two 9-hole lift arms - please disregard the dark bluish gray, as they just came to my hand first.

This leaves fairly enough room for the xl-motor.

When looking from the rear of the unimog towards to gearbox you can spot the engine driveshaft below the steering shaft. The axle sticks out 1 length unit so i attached a joint an a 3 stud-axle with a large 24 tooth gear.

The motor also has a 3 stud axle with a small gear attached.

The motor is lowered into the frame - leaving the pinholes of the motor exactly on the level of the upper mainframe.

Well, the mod is far from begin finally, but a first test showed it works, and the 4x4 feature of the unimog remains untouched, since the engineshaft is connected to the main differential.

However, i'm planning on gearing down to torque within the portal axles. Another aspect that needs to be change is that the platform needs to be raised by on one unit as the motor sticks out of the frame to far.

How strong the Unimog with one XL Motor is, you can watch it in my new Video:

Sorry, but I can´t put the Video direct here. I don´t know why... :cry_sad:

Hi There,

I might have a way to putt an XL-Motor into the mainframe without changing to overall design.

First i replaced the two rear 13-hole liftarms on the upper frame with two 9-hole lift arms - please disregard the dark bluish gray, as they just came to my hand first.

When looking from the rear of the unimog towards to gearbox you can spot the engine driveshaft below the steering shaft. The axle sticks out 1 length unit so i attached a joint an a 3 stud-axle with a large 24 tooth gear.

The motor is lowered into the frame - leaving the pinholes of the motor exactly on the level of the upper mainframe.

Well, the mod is far from begin finally, but a first test showed it works, and the 4x4 feature of the unimog remains untouched, since the engineshaft is connected to the main differential.

However, i'm planning on gearing down to torque within the portal axles. Another aspect that needs to be change is that the platform needs to be raised by on one unit as the motor sticks out of the frame to far.

I really like this idea! How does it drive and with gearing down the hubs it should all work well,did u motorise the steering yet or have u any ideas yet? I like the idea of not messing around with the original design,thank u and I'll be watching ur progress :classic:

Hi There,

I've done just about the same exact thing, but under the main cab of the truck where the I-4 engine was. Currently my XL is 4 studs above the drive shaft leading to the center differential. The only issue I'm having is coming up with a gear combination that is 4 studs tall and 2-3 studs deep that fits and doesn't involve 8T gears stripping. I can lower the XL down so that it's 3 studs above and run a 16T-16T. I can't use an 8T-24T at this spot as this interferes with the steering axle, and I would need to do something with the front PTO as well, as the XL would now be in its way. Is anybody doing something similar? I'll try to get pictures up later this evening.

unfortunately does the steering wheel has not the same alignment on the both positions. but the switching between "steering mode" and "side switching mode" is smooth

Edited by efferman

again a little preview, hope you know what it should be

Sweeeeeet! :thumbup::classic:

Waiting desparately to see it implemented!

Regards,

Gerhard

Edited by tripletschiee

Do people really need a working steering wheel,I'd be more into making it rc

Depends on what you like. I don't care at all about making it R/C. Plastic axles just don't make very good R/C vehicles. I'd much rather have maximum realism. That's why I like the was Nathanael Kuipers' Jeep Hurricane is motorized even though it doesn't really drive.

Do people really need a working steering wheel,I'd be more into making it rc

it is only a technical challenge for me

Did some tinkering after a friend visited the other day. He was quite impressed with the unimog but asked me why there wasn't a "closed" frame on the loading bed.

dsc08143small.jpg

Well there is now!

Did some tinkering after a friend visited the other day. He was quite impressed with the unimog but asked me why there wasn't a "closed" frame on the loading bed.

dsc08143small.jpg

Well there is now!

What's the part num for ur black wheels?Also u don't see closed backs that often on a mog ,the flatbed is very common on them so Lego got it spot on.

Edited by davidmull