• Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Set name: Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers

Set number: 7962

Year of release: 2011

Parts: 810

Minifigures: 5 - Anakin Skywalker, Sebulba, Wald, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Watto

Many of us have probably missed 7171 Mos Espa Podrace and I would say this new Podracer set is truly excellent and not disappointing.

5824226420_9744cfda0e_b.jpg

Compared to 7171, here we got only two podracers without Gasgano's, but aside from that (and the use of stickers instead of printed plates), there are improvements in all areas:

1. Larger podracer body with excellent details

For Anakin's podracer, there are more details at the engine, which makes it more solid, and the cockpit also has a small flipped wing, but the biggest improvement comes in Sebulba's Podracer, the main engine is composed of Arm with Clip, Rods and wheel cone, which not only gives more details and size to the podracer, but also power and contour, the four solid side engines are more sophisticated, the use of more slopes and curves all over the podracer make it look wonderful, although there is no more printed parts, the stickers mix well into the model.

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2815%29.jpgLego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2811%29.jpg

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2821%29.jpgLego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2822%29.jpg

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2824%29.jpgLego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2826%29.jpg

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2832%29.jpgLego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2840%29.jpg

The buzz saws!

The beams connecting the cockpits to the engine is now transparent, while I feel that it may look better with colored beams, I read about some writing saying that the transparent beams would

create a sense of electric current, what do you think?

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2831%29.jpgLego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2841%29.jpg

2. The stands

One of the caveat of the old podracers has got to be the way it is made to stand, using a few bricks to elevate it is too plain, now there is a nicely crafted stand, and the use of transparent bent beam makes the display look great, I wish the base stand are all transparent parts as well. This is a sample that perhaps we can use for setting up display for models that cannot stand naturally like the pod racers

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2812%29.jpg

3. Minifigs

Sebulba is now in color and not monochrome, which makes the old minifig not appealing at all, the same happens with Watto, this set includes two of the rarest Lego Starwars minifig, I can still recall people selling Watto at very high price in local market (I think the Bricklink price is still very high), this is a great opportunity to get these figures, the better ones too. But this also raise an interesting topic, with a better and general available new minifig around, would it have any impact on the selling price of the old minifig?

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2837%29.jpg

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2846%29.jpg

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2803%29.jpgLego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2802%29.jpg

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2805%29.jpg

Another goodie would be Wald, although this is not a super character but I think it is his first appearance in Lego.

And you also get the old good Obi-Wan, it is not something special but it is a bonus too.

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2843%29.jpgLego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2836%29.jpg

Anakin has also great surprises, the head is a two sided one, and the helmet has nice pattern, I like this new version a lot!

4. Price

I think this set is reasonably priced, with two bigger, better and nicely designed pod racers, and all the wonderful minifigs coming with it.

5. Packaging of Finished product

The design actually allows you to pack the finished podracers into the box with qiute some free spaces! A nice design for people with limited storage space at home.

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2848%29.jpg

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2849%29.jpg

No doubt this is a must get set, and I think Lego has done a wonderful job this time.

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2833%29.jpg

Lego-7962-Anakin-Skywalker-and-Sebulba-Podracers-Review-%2828%29.jpg

Reviewed by: Parchioso (www.brickand.me)

NICE!!!! The only good set from this wave. I dont really like Sebulba, but Watto is pure awesomnes and so are the rest of the figs.

Thanks for the review. I love this set, it's my favourite of this wave and a must buy. The figs look awesome with all that detail

Thanks for the review! This set looks great. I still have it unpacked, but looking forward to put it together soon!

And I agree with CaptainCRO that this seems to be the best set in the new wave (along side with the two new ewoks - great minifigs).

Doesn't look like too bad of a set. I would like for too not be so expensive, but we can't really tell LEGO how much we want to spend on this. Anyways, good wrok on the review! The minifigures are cool, but not enough to put it on my list of sets too get.

Thanks for the review parchioso. The set is smaller than I expected. This figs and racers are quite nice (not as nice as 7159) but I wont get this set as my focus is on armies, so civilian racers are not for me.

I'm not an OT guy, but I must say, that's a good-looking set right there. Podracers are well-designed, and lots of interesting figs too. I won't purchase, but I can certainly say, "Well done, TLG."

I'm not an OT guy, but I must say, that's a good-looking set right there. Podracers are well-designed, and lots of interesting figs too. I won't purchase, but I can certainly say, "Well done, TLG."

Sorry, but Episode 1 isn't OT.

I'm not a PT kind of guy either (assuming that's what Mr. Elijah Timms meant), but there is the occasional PT set that I like, and I like this one (also the Naboo Fighter). I don't know if I'll get it... and I may just be daft, but the most exciting thing here to me is transparent beams. (runs to bricklink to see what he's been missing)

Edit: So they are new... that's very exciting to me!

Edited by fred67

Great and goodlooking set, got it my self to.

For the model in LDD check this post from Giovanne in the "Official Lego sets made in LDD" thread.

Why was Obi-wan included instead of Qui-gon? Seems like a mistake to me. Was Obi-wan even at the pod race? I thought he stayed on the ship.

In any case, this is a definte must buy for me. I was always fond of the pod racer idea even if I'm not a fan of the PT. As a fan of auto racing and Star Wars I need this. The update of the minifigures are icing on the cake. :classic:

Great review and great set. I received and built mine yesterday and I have to agree that this might be the best set from the new wave. I really like the techniques used in building the engine parts of Sebulba's racer. Another bonus is that both racers are very swooshable indeed, as extensive testing in my rooms revealed. :laugh::blush:

Sebulba seems overdone, honestly. It is supposed to look like a fig not like a small Sebulba statuette.

I really like the details on the orange pod. But as always, price is a huge turn off in SW sets.

Thanks for this review. This is probably the only Star Wars set above $50 this year that I'm seriously considering. I must confess, this PT set appeals to me, though mostly in the form of rarer colors and parts. Nevertheless, TLG seems to have majorly improved the pods. The minifigs don't look that bad, either, save Anakin, whose secondary face looks like something out of anime that would be better in an Exo-force set. Oh, and Watto doesn't have sand blue hands. That disappoints me.

Thanks for the review :thumbup: . I have to agree that this looks to be the best of the current wave. However, due to finances I limit myself to only collecting OT sets so I won't be buying this.

Very nice set ! It is well executed. :)

I love podracers. :grin:

Sorry, but Episode 1 isn't OT.

I'm not a PT kind of guy either (assuming that's what Mr. Elijah Timms meant...

Typo, gentlemen... sorry. Of course I meant PT. I will say, the new Naboo Fighter will probably tempt me more than any Prequel set before... I've always loved the design of the craft, and it just seems to be really well executed this time around. But as I said earlier, this set is certainly impressive as well.

This set is AWESOME!

Thank you for great review!

Could you please take better picture of translucent pink pieces used for lighting beams?

Thanks for the review!

This set is really nice, I think the best of the new release, for me anyways.

Can't wait to get this! :sweet:

I'm a little surprised at the side of Anakin's face with the goggles, it looks awfully cartoonish.

I think for what this set is, it isn't worth the money, but that's just me.

Thanks for the review. This set really is the best of the sumer sets so far. The racers are just amezing. Lego did a really good job IMO.

Edited by Blackknight112

Thanks for the review. Both racers are huge improvements over the old versions and the minifigures look great as always. I'm a little dissapointed Watto has a rubber torso though. Would have prefered the harder plastic like the old figure, even if its the cheap chinese one.

Hopefully this set will be successful enough for Lego to release more podracers in the future.

Thanks for sharing this review, I agree this is the best of the 2011 SW Summer sets, and the perfect opportunity for me (and others) who've missed the previous versions to finally own these podracers. The highly-detailed minifigs are definitely significant upgrades (esp. Sebulba and Watto) and it's always nice to get another Rodian in Wald.