Sign in to follow this  
red coats rule

Gunboat + frigate

First of all: I really like the colour scheme and the general impression those two ships create. It would also help if you deeplinked one or two more images so both of the ships can bee seen from different angles.

I do not know if you are aiming at technical accuracy or not. If you are, here my suggestions come:

Both ships feature a far too high poop deck (the part with the captain's cabin - a poop deck of this size would be a phenomenon of older ships from the 15th to early 17th century and need a much higher forecastle (the risen part of the deck to the bow) - you could start by reducing those poop decks. Your ship could also need a little curving in the sidelines.

To the frigate: If you want to do a frigate, this one needs more guns - traditional rating systems of old navies would classify this as a sloop or a brig.

But then again - why go for accuracy? I'd suggest you forget my comments and make it a much more fantasy-esque fleet with a bit more ornaments and maybe a steam-punk approach? (I am building a steampunk-ship meself at the moment, so the idea comes quite quickly)

Interesting points Horry, I was hoping to make a brickfilm with the frigate so I didn't care if it was accurate or not

(Can't wait for the ship your building :laugh: )

Edited by red coats rule

Both ships feature a far too high poop deck (the part with the captain's cabin - a poop deck of this size would be a phenomenon of older ships from the 15th to early 17th century and need a much higher forecastle (the risen part of the deck to the bow) - you could start by reducing those poop decks. Your ship could also need a little curving in the sidelines.

Frigate design was different before the 1740's and did have the higher poop decks. It all depends on which era of frigate Cap'n Red Coat is going for, which seems to be whatever looks the coolest. :pir-grin:

ship29.jpg

Here is an image of a 17th century frigate.

To the frigate: If you want to do a frigate, this one needs more guns - traditional rating systems of old navies would classify this as a sloop or a brig.

We could just say that it's a corvette, which is basically a mini-frigate. :pir-wink:

I believe the gunboat is closest to a brig.

As for the ships themselves:

The Gunboat (Brig):

100_2859-weee.jpg_thumb.jpg100_2860.jpg_thumb.jpg100_2865.jpg_thumb.jpg100_2871.jpg_thumb.jpg

The Frigate (Corvette):

100_2872weee.jpg_thumb.jpg100_2881.jpg_thumb.jpg100_2885.jpg_thumb.jpg100_2888.jpg_thumb.jpg

(If the pics were re-sized to 800x600, you could post them right into the forum. :thumbup: )

The coloring of the ships look really good and you've done a fine job at the overall design. I like the use of the "bubble-space-helmet" things for lamps.

The two primary things about these ships I would improve upon would be to have the poop deck and captain's cabin transition better with ships' middle. And I would remove some of the stripes in the gunboats and maybe thicken them.