Siegfried

Review: 2231 Waspix

17 members have voted

1. 1. Want him buzzing around your house?

• 5. Excellent!
    • 4. Good!
    • 3. OK
    • 2. Poor
    • 1. Horrid

Set Index: Waspix

indexed.gif

DSC08280es.jpg

The face of Waspix reminds me a lot of Waspinator, which gives him an unfair advantage in this review!

DSC08283es.jpg

I'm decently sure that is the US Box... and I think Furno 3.0 better be a darn good shot with a bow to be able to hit a wasp...

DSC08071es.jpg

Just one bag inside the box, and a loose torso. I'm always interested as to why some sets have a loose part like that.

DSC08080es.jpg

The parts! There should be no huge surprises, he's mostly legs so there's loads of limbs!

DSC08083es.jpg

I believe this is new, but in any case it's a very useful part!

DSC08084es.jpg

Note the ball shaped receptacle; it allows this to be placed in a spot where the is a central ball connector and still allow it to be used on the other side.

DSC08087es.jpg

I'm 95% sure that this is the same part from the much loved Ben 10 line, in particular Big Chill and Spider Monkey.

DSC08092es.jpg

Waspy prints! I didn't expect three of these, but it's good!

DSC08094es.jpg

I think this is new as well. It adds to his buggy charm.

DSC08096es.jpg

It attaches via the standard connector.

DSC08097es.jpg

I thought this part might be new, but it turns out it's been used once before in Drilldozer. (Thanks LuxorV! :grin: ) I think they look cool being transparent. (Probably too small for wings though.)

DSC08335es.jpg

I look forward to seeing this part used more widely.

DSC08099es.jpg

Ahhhghh! Evil! I washed my hands ten times after handling these, but I still have dark urges. Be careful with the Quaza spikes!

DSC08101es.jpg

The happy fellow himself. It might be my photography, but the eyes don't look as deep-set as the box. (No, I'm not going to let this go.)

DSC08102es.jpg

Seeing the disembodied head makes me think of Waspinator even more!

DSC08103es.jpg

Standard connection... which annoyingly is flush so it can't easily be used on a Hero head. (Yeah, I tried! :laugh: )

DSC08108es.jpg

On to the building... it's all pretty simple so I won't show much. You just assemble the core (exoskeleton?)...

DSC08109es.jpg

and put on the shell.

DSC08112es.jpg

Spares. Yeah, I was surprised too, but the instructions list only 2, use 2, but provide 6. Since there are 4 panels with no decoration this could be a last minute change... but the prototypes only had 2 as well... :look:

DSC08324es.jpg

From the rear he looks bugish still! Looking at this model makes me think TLG should make an insect line in HF parts!

DSC08330es.jpg

Three generations of bad guys. I think he's much better than the spindly Nitroblast, but Corroder is too different to compare. Weight wise the 117 gram Nitroblast win over the 114 gram Waspix, and Corroder is the distant loser at 103.

DSC08284es.jpg

He's big enough to look like a worthy adversary for the Heroes..

DSC08296es.JPG

...and others as well.

Ratings

Posability:

With all his joints it's hard not to be! His main problem is balance. 9/10

Parts:

Want limbs and lots of them? Waspix is great for that, but not so great for new parts. 7/10

Looks:

This set is among my favourites as the parts work well as insect limbs. My only major complaint is the wings; they are too small. But since TLG needed to bring in a new part to make them as big as they are I'm probably being a bit unreasonable. 9/10

Fudge:

He has a lot of buggy charm! One surprising special feature is the lack of a shooting device... 10/10

Overall:

I must admit I'm tempted to get a few of these. He's a fun figure. I think that aside from a few pieces he's not the best for parts, but I do think the main model makes up for that. 9/10

Very nice review! Thanks for sharing, Siegfried :thumbup:

DSC08097es.jpg

I'm not sure if these are new but I suspect they are. In any case they look cool being transparent. (Probably too small for wings though.)

Looks:

This set is among my favourites as the parts work well as insect limbs. My only major complaint is the wings; they are too small. But since TLG needed to bring in a new part to make them as big as they are I'm probably being a bit unreasonable. 9/10

I have to correct you on this, though, as the extra long armour piece was introduced in Flat Silver with Drilldozer :wink:

Very nice review! Thanks for sharing, Siegfried :thumbup:

I have to correct you on this, though, as the extra long armour piece was introduced in Flat Silver with Drilldozer :wink:

:laugh: I'm not too surprised. I looked though my collection and found none. I'll correct the review; thanks. :sweet:

Nice review! I love the last picture :laugh:

Not too keen on this set, though. Aside from the huge trans-yellow armour pieces, there aren't many nice parts on this guy. Plus, I've enough of yellow bugs after Bitil and Jetbug. :tongue: He's one of the few HF 3.0 sets that I'm not getting.

Edited by Lockon Stratos

Thanks for the review. Lots of nice yellow, but honestly, the head is a turn off for me. When you compare it to pretty much every other Hero Factory head it just doesn't look very good to me.

That new socket piece, though, the one that attaches his second set of arms... very nice.

Waspy prints! I didn't expect three of these, but it's good!

Wait until I post my review on Fangz! :tongue: Or rather don't wait, because it's almost finished...soon. :look::laugh:

Fangz beats Waspix for printed parts, even though those are some very nice patterns that actually make sense for the animal they're on.

As with Drilldozer of the previous wave, this is the set that I most look forward to getting multiples of. There aren't many exclusive parts to this set, but the few that are here (Trans-yellow armour and new bone piece in particular) are fantastic! :wub:

I like Waspix, although he doesn't feel quite as original as Raw-Jaw. Perhaps that's just because his construction is so simple, using pretty much all his parts for their intended purpose. And I guess, in retrospect, the wings and legs are very original; they only feel like they've been used before because they could so easily be built using the last wave's pieces.

Shame about the head not working on hero heads... you'd think TLG would have thought to make that possible and increase the part's versatility. Of course, the lack of eyeholes means that it's still fairly versatile, as it could be used for armor or a weapon without necessarily standing out as a head piece. For the record, I definitely prefer Waspix's molded eyes to Witch Doctor's hollow ones-- yes, Witch Doctor's face is supposed to look like a skull, but I still don't like looking at a face from the side and seeing through both eyeholes to the other side of the face.

That joint on his back will be amazingly useful, and I hope more of them appear in other sets. I've tried making smaller Hero Factory creatures (i.e. about the size of the two BIONICLE Brickmaster sets, possibly with a slightly higher piece count), and it's not easy. With this, stick three of these underneath a 9M Technic beam and you're well on your way to creating a zany insect!

Thanks for the review! Waspix certainly seems to be a desirable set!

Like with RXL, my opinion of him remains the same, which is I want him. I am still very happy that he has the four black B10 hands. Head looks awkward but that's a trait shored by anyone with that setup.

You just assemble the core (exoskeleton?)...

Endoskeleton, I think. Exo would be the shell.

This is my favourite of the small villains. I need to go finish my review of this for BZP!

Listen to me: I think that your reviews are exellent because you take really close pictures to new pieces and I need that to draw this complicated parts, so I have to say thanks for that.

Waspix is a very good set, it has a lot of useful parts and styles, it's not my favorite but I must say that is an interesting model, wings, four arms, and a good number of bone pieces.

Edited by Jagersmann

You know, since Skorpio comes with a lime green colored version of this head, methinks a Wazzzpinater variant would be entirely possible.

You know, since Skorpio comes with a lime green colored version of this head, methinks a Wazzzpinater variant would be entirely possible.

Oh god yes, that's even another reason why I need Scorpio.

Very good review. Due to his enourmous amount of limb pieces, I'm very tempted to get Waspix as well.

They should have used gorast wings on waspix.

Edited by toatyger

I've been debating getting this set but I think I can decide against now that I know it'll abscond with me overclothes.

Kidding, thanks for the review Siegfried

Never posed triple-jointed legs, have you, Seigfried? Try bending them 90 degrees at the first leg joint and again in the opposite direction for the second... That'll improve the nature of the set so much more...

Thanks for reading everyone!

That new socket piece, though, the one that attaches his second set of arms... very nice.

Yeah, it's a great new piece.

Wait until I post my review on Fangz! :tongue: Or rather don't wait, because it's almost finished...soon. :look::laugh:

Still waiting.... :devil:

Endoskeleton, I think. Exo would be the shell.

:laugh: Yeah I realise, but he's an insect so I'll stick with exo.

:sweet: Good idea!

Never posed triple-jointed legs, have you, Seigfried? Try bending them 90 degrees at the first leg joint and again in the opposite direction for the second... That'll improve the nature of the set so much more...

:tongue: Not with ball joints, no. But to be honest I'm not too displeased with the poses.

This mask is not cutting it for me :angry: The trans brick thing under looks much better. I don't think I like this HF 3.0 sorry if I'm being a downer but I don't understand why TLG switched from Bionicle to HF, the storyline could have lasted at least 5 more years if not forever. Oh well, hope they bring it back some day...

This mask is not cutting it for me :angry: The trans brick thing under looks much better. I don't think I like this HF 3.0 sorry if I'm being a downer but I don't understand why TLG switched from Bionicle to HF, the storyline could have lasted at least 5 more years if not forever. Oh well, hope they bring it back some day...

Frankly, the BIONICLE story was confusing to a newbie. The Hero Factory story is basically "robot heroes fight robot villains", and thus a lot easier for new fans to jump into. As a person who frequently struggled to explain the BIONICLE story to parents, friends, and others who were not familiar with it, I have a profound respect for TLG's decision to start a simpler story that didn't depend so heavily on prior knowledge.

A lot of people hope TLG brings it back one day, ignoring that if they did it would be in a vastly different form of story than it was originally. The BIONICLE story would not have been the same if it were not for its heavy backstory, creative species, and broad cast of characters. And since these are some of the reasons BIONICLE could not keep going as long as was originally hoped, I have strong doubts TLG would go back to that model of storytelling. BIONICLE, if it came back, would basically be returning in name only, since any backstory would have to be largely irrelevant to the current sets. TLG tried several times to "reboot" the BIONICLE story-- most notably in 2009, when the story shifted to an entirely different cast of characters in an entirely different location. But it wasn't enough to keep the theme alive, and it wouldn't be enough if BIONICLE came back next year, either.

I fondly remember buying Mata-nui back in 2009 and saying, "this guy was the god of everything back in 2001!" And then I wondered why any 7 year-old jumping right into Bionicle that year would even give a crap. Oops.