DLuders

How to Build a Lego Monorail (Without Monorail Tracks)

MasaoHidaka posted this

about "How to make my own LEGO Monorail [first video shown below].

We can make the Rail without special brick. Please check "

" [second video shown below].

You can check running Monorail: "

" [additional video]

I submitted this Monorail in LEGO CUUSOO. I would like to be given 1000 supports: http://www.cuusoo.com/LEGO/user/025434/0011/ ."

a great solution for those who haven't been able to get the original monorail.

and also a good way to make a bigger layout, since you can brick-build your own tracks.

thumbs up for MasaoHidaka!

have a nice lego day

mrBlue

Thank you for posting these videos here on the forum, DLuders - and a big thank you to MasaoHidaka for making them!

I've been trying to make a monorail with brick-built track, but single-stud wide track results in stability problems, and I've had no idea how to make two-studs wide track while keeping the curves smooth - figures that it would be such a simple solution as that!

What I like i that MasaoHidaka share the whole development process on his Brickshelf folder

He's a the 9th version already and added in this version curved rails that are even more innovative that the ones in the video. His development looks like he's by heart at fight with TLG as the longer it gets his cusoo wish gets fulfille dhte better his system gets!

fW

Before the annual meeting in Brikkelauget in May this year, Freddie (at Brikkelauget.no) asked for ideas on making a durable drive mechanism for an idea he had of making a train running on a 1x wide monorailtrack. I tried some ideas that can be seen on the Consept version at Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=471404

But I realized that I had to build a complete train to be able to test the consept further. And then I found myself sitting there building a few hours in stretch and got up with a train that worked on my short little monorail track built up of 3bricks high monorail track with just 1x2 bricks.

At the Brikkelauget meeting we tested my monorail train on Freddie's track but it had some stability issues in the curves and mostly fell of the track and taking the track with it.

After I got back home I have rebuilt it several times and are now on a more final stage that works.

The first version had technic chain for driving two wheels on the same car, but that was too noisy and also was not very effective. So now I have only one drive wheel but added another PF-motor in the rear. The middle car contains the PF-receiver and battery box.

Pictures of the last version and the 1st conspet can be found here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=471404

2011-07-03_0008a.jpg_thumb.jpg 2011-07-03_0010a.jpg_thumb.jpg 2011-07-03_0018a.jpg_thumb.jpg

Here is a small video I made today of the thing running on my monorail track.

The reason for building the track with 1x bricks upside/down is so I did not had to use any tiles, and thus making it even cheaper to build. The curves is built with 1x2 bricks only, and the straight mostly of 1x8 bricks. It is important that the track supports are sturdy and I had to make them of 2x bricks. There are some forces on the side track when the trains enters the curves.

Hope you like it :)

Note: I do not know lot about trains, so the looks on this train is just a "mashup" of the parts I had available at the time and I was not paying attention to the outside design, but more to the inner technical part and functions. And now that the idea works I can build it in new colors and with other windows and such... maybe...

Thanks Dluders and FONIX for sharing those incredible MOCs. pirate_thumbup.gif

I always like to see what others come up with concerning a self-made monorail.

I've got plenty of original monorail stuff, but the MOCs are really tempting to try something completely different.

@FONIX why did you build the track upside down? Would't have had tiles the same effect, or is there a special reason behind it?

Thanks Dluders and FONIX for sharing those incredible MOCs. pirate_thumbup.gif

I always like to see what others come up with concerning a self-made monorail.

I've got plenty of original monorail stuff, but the MOCs are really tempting to try something completely different.

@FONIX why did you build the track upside down? Would't have had tiles the same effect, or is there a special reason behind it?

I built the track upside down just to make it even cheaper, and I did not have that many grey tiles at the moment either.

But it will look better if you use just 2 rows of bricks and top it of with some tiles. It still will be strong enough and flexible. But the lower profile would fit better above the streets in a town layout. This was just for a test and "proof-of-consept"...

All this was just made of the parts I had avaiable at the time. I would prefer the train to be white with the black window frames. Maybe a red or blue line along the train below the windows?

Edited by F0NIX

I think the stability of the 2-wide track makes it a better system. The 1-wide track lets the train wobble too much on the curve. Great for cheap-factor but making it 2-wide would still be a lot cheaper than using official monorail track. :classic:

The only things that could possibly be added to this design, in my opinion, is the ability to climb and go down (maybe this doesn't require a modification to the other parts of the system), and space for passengers! Overall, I love this design and would LOVE to have the pieces to build it.

The only things that could possibly be added to this design, in my opinion, is the ability to climb and go down (maybe this doesn't require a modification to the other parts of the system), and space for passengers! Overall, I love this design and would LOVE to have the pieces to build it.

Mine for sure can climb up small hills. And I'm sure DLuders train can do that as well. But it is a bit harder to make a track that is smooth enough and has a bend vertical. But if you make long hills it would work just fine (and that would also look more realistic too). The trains has good tracktions since it is rubber wheels against the track, and I have two motors in mine. And with the way I built the tracks (upside down) it actually get some extra grip to the track (that was not the intention)

Mine for sure can climb up small hills. And I'm sure DLuders train can do that as well. But it is a bit harder to make a track that is smooth enough and has a bend vertical. But if you make long hills it would work just fine (and that would also look more realistic too). The trains has good tracktions since it is rubber wheels against the track, and I have two motors in mine. And with the way I built the tracks (upside down) it actually get some extra grip to the track (that was not the intention)

That's what I just meant :grin: . Did you design a track with a vertical bend? I tried to think how to get around this but couldn't think of anything. Perhaps one way would be to let the track sections hanging together as in a chain. That would work only for the upward bend though.

F0NIX, which motors are you using?

These look really cool :sweet:

F0NIX, which motors are you using?

These look really cool :sweet:

Actually, by looking at your brickshelf pictures, me and my younger siblings built our own version of your monorail :grin: Hope you don't mind. It's really cool though! :sweet:

Actually, by looking at your brickshelf pictures, me and my younger siblings built our own version of your monorail :grin: Hope you don't mind. It's really cool though! :sweet:

Well, if I didn't want anyone to get inspirations or ideas of my creations I would not publish any pictures ;)

So, please go on, and build or copy or whatever. You can even modify and make it better! I'm just happy that my pictures can make someone want to build more with LEGO. That is how I get my inspirations anyway; looking at other peoples LEGO-creations.

And I would also be very happy if you shared pictures of YOUR creation. Maybe I can see ways to make my train even better?

And for what type of motor, I'm using Power Functions (PF) M motors. One in the front and one in the rear wagon. And I put the PF receiver and PF rechargeable battery box in the middle wagon. I had some trouble with getting a secure and stable motor mount. But the One I have now works well if you dont open and close the train wagons too often...

Whooops, looks like he did accomplish one of these :classic: :

monorail411.jpg

The 2-wide brick shape is an interesting take on the problem, and makes for simple track.

I decided to be a bit more adventurous in 2007, so I used the 5-wide tracks from Technic sets.

My monorail train will do a 360-degree barrel roll and I have a loop-the-loop to test.

I also have a scheme for points, hopefully more robust than those of the original monorail!

Pictures here

Video of flat circuit here

Video of barrel roll here

I might try it with the PF AAA or LiPo battery boxes. A lighter battery should help the climbing and loop exiting ability.

Mark

The 2-wide brick shape is an interesting take on the problem, and makes for simple track.

I decided to be a bit more adventurous in 2007, so I used the 5-wide tracks from Technic sets.

My monorail train will do a 360-degree barrel roll and I have a loop-the-loop to test.

I also have a scheme for points, hopefully more robust than those of the original monorail!

Pictures here

Video of flat circuit here

Video of barrel roll here

I might try it with the PF AAA or LiPo battery boxes. A lighter battery should help the climbing and loop exiting ability.

Mark

I like it!!!! Very interesting. Please keep us informed on your progress! :grin:

Not to resurrect an old thread, but how large is a 90deg curve? Does anyone have brick count for that curve? How many baseplates does it span?

Edited by gotoAndLego

Not to resurrect an old thread, but how large is a 90deg curve? Does anyone have brick count for that curve? How many baseplates does it span?

It seems (by my rough calculations) to be around the size of a 48x48 baseplate, maybe a little bigger. Only one way to find out though.

Here's my first experiment. It's 31 2x2 sections.

Monorail1.jpg

Interesting. That actually seems more efficient than I thought. Takes up less space. Lego,one; my math, zero!