Sign in to follow this  
Graynar

Johnny Thunder MOC- Battle for the Scroll

With the Key of the castle dock, and the priceless sword of King Leownis in his belt, Johnny Thunder (and his friends) travel deeper into the land of castles, to the mighty castle of King Leownis! This also leads Thunder closer to General Veeronis, the dreaded lord of war!

Read the back story

Take a look at the first two sets if you haven't:

01fullset.jpg_thumb.jpg

01thewholeset.jpg_thumb.jpg

The whole JT folder

Now for the newest set (you'll notice and increase in the use of the story):

Battle for the Scroll

00fullset.jpg_thumb.jpg

The smallest set, only 14.99 American, or 19.99 Canadian. With 3 figures and 122 pieces. This set features Sam Sinister's mini tank, one of General Veeronis's soldiers, and Johnny Thunder. In this set JT is fighting for the scroll, so he can locate King Leownis's golden crown. But Sam isn't going to make it easy.

Battle for the Scroll Special Feature: The small castle included can be destroyed by removing the spear from the wall. A spring system similar to the Pirate set -Volcano island is used. But it features a bit more as the spring also removes half of the wall.

Hope you enjoy the set. Please tell me what you think of it. ;)

wow, this set really opens up your sub-theme... great addition. *y*

this building style requires so much thought... i mean, not only do you have to render the structures and vehicles in the LEGO SYSTEM style... but they also require extra thought and care in progressing the adventure. your concept for a back-story is right on target, Grayner.

now that i am seeing more of the story, my only complaint is that i wish the story was told in a more visually manner. for example, you have so many villains running around, that i couldn't tell who was aligned with who. now that i read the back-story i see they are all teamed together. but at first i couldn't tell who the blue coats were, and what there relations were to johnny, the villains, and the environment. to be honest, i thought they were like local authorities of the land of the castle 8-

I haven't had a chance unti today to look at these with the attention they deserve.

Truly, this is a great piece of work. We all talk about how we would like to see another Adventurers theme, but you have actually gone out and done it. I've never seen anything like this before. It feels very authentic.

I think your #2 larger castle set is as good or better than anything TLC has done with something that size. It looks good from far, from near, and the parts selection is great. I never much like all the cars and assorted vehicles that TLC puts into all its sets, and I would have used the extra parts to embellish on the Castle, but that's just me. Clearly what you have created is authentic to how they do it.

Sam's tank is hilarious, if not particularly realistic looking. Kids would like that a lot I bet.

You need a strong female sidekick (or villain) though - I always like that best about the adventurers - having Pippin Read or Jing Lee to a lesser extent.

I never feel qualified to critique something that I know I could not do myself - I can just sit back and admire. And hope that TLC gets the message. The Adventurers MUST NOT DIE!

Thanks for the replies!

another point is that johnny has no side-kick friends... in all the other adventures sub-themes he had a rotating entourage.

Gail Storm was in the Hero's tower set. And don't worry, we have several other of Johnny's friends to appear in the next set. ;-)

your theme only has two of the three obstacles, at least right now. and not that you have to have all three, its just a common theme from the official LEGO releases. and to not have one (even if on purpose) makes the theme look not so thought out. unless that knight in Hero's Tower is going to be the reoccuring natural villain. but i didn't read about him in the back-story overview, so i dont' know what is going on there.

The Knight was the tower's Guardian. He's a natural villain to that set, but not to the whole theme.

as for the tank, the treads look a little funny to me. and is that supposed to be a face on the top front of it ??? if so that seems a little out of character for sam sinister.

The threads was an atempt at me trying something differen't. I thought they were kind of cool, in a mini sort of way. No, that's not a face, it's just the tank's front window.

as i recall someone suggested a catapult in one of your other threads. i think that was ment as a joke, or at least i would have taken as such. i don't think a catapult ever existed in adventures, but i could be wrong. in any case, i don't think it fits well with this set. i think there is enough playablity without it.

There was a catapult in the Dragon fortress (7419). I put in the catapult for xwingyoda after he asked me kindly to put one in twice. ;-)

Truly, this is a great piece of work. We all talk about how we would like to see another Adventurers theme, but you have actually gone out and done it. I've never seen anything like this before. It feels very authentic.

Thank you!

You need a strong female sidekick (or villain) though - I always like that best about the adventurers - having Pippin Read or Jing Lee to a lesser extent.

I never got the chance to buy the only female villain Alexia Sinister, I suppose I could make a new one. But you will see some of JT's side kick buddies appear soon. I didn't want to put them into these sets because I already had too many figs. Three for a small set is pushing it these days. *n*

The Adventurers MUST NOT DIE!

Ditto to that!

Hope you enjoy the set. Please tell me what you think of it. ;)

I really love your series and it feels that you are getting better and better with each addition 8-

I must appologise to you Graynar: I didn't think you would take me litterally on that catapult joke But I really thank you for your kind attention of adding one, its really thoughtfull and nice Tks mate

Lol, no biggie! ;-)

I totally dislike those annoying catapults and shooting mechanisms that tend to appear in every set nowadays

Me too. It's easy not to put catapults in sets anyways. I really don't think they add much playability though. :-/ That's a job for minifigures! *y*

BTW: Sweet! Thanks for the new title!