eiker86

3677 Red Freight Train

Here are some pictures i have taken on LW2011 about teh set 3677:

Flickr

I talked to the guy from LEGO on the stand and he said its a offcial set comming this year, and the battery box IS red, its no sticker, i asked him!

Edit:

Oh, somebody already posted the link to my photoset but thats OK ;)

I was alittle slow posting it here ;)

Edited by Oste Hovel

Both 2010 train sets where sold out in many shops in Switzerland, also most of the time track packs where sold out too. So it seems LEGO reacts, but that's kinda fast to respond, isn't there a lead time of about 1-2 years for new sets? So they had this in the pipeline all along and Marketing pushed for release ^^

I will buy this definitely. My layout lacks some good track maintenance ^^

Agreed, they sell very well in Switzerland, where the trains can be recognised by most of the kids. Rushing a model might be the case, but with trains there are lots of submodels which could be in the pipeline for some time, waiting for the sudden release. To the Loco could have been developed some time ago, the maintainence truck looks relatively simple (put some of the 7838 platforms onto a long train base) and the truck is a cut down version of normal city bits. Even the coal tender could be using a part from a forthcoming set... so for trains it could be easy.

Re the IR receiver - my bad. The door clearly covers the grey bit :(

I hope it won't be to expensive do,

Else my wallet will really be emptying... :(

Hope this is a set,

Couse it's a very nice one...

Mathijs

I think I'm going to end up hobo-ing on the real railroads if I decide to buy much more in LEGO trains! Which makes it an obvious necessity for them to put out ANOTHER set I want. This looks like a very nice set, and I sure hope it'll be relatively easy to get ahold of.

My only issue is the roofline on that boxcar/van. It's too disjointed for my taste.

This set looks fantastic, and it has been way too long since we have had a proper railroad maintenance train. I actually think that this set will be released in addition to 7939 because of this. 7939 is pretty clearly a long-distance cargo/intermodal train, and 3677 is this MOW train with a hi-rail truck, a ballast car, a boxcar for parts, a track inspection flatcar, and a yard switcher locomotive.

The only drawback I have with it is that the ends of the locomotive are WAY too blocky. TLC should have used (and I hope they do use in release) cheese slopes on the sides of 1x2s, not 1x4s all the way across the ends. Other than that, this looks like an incredible set, and, with the Maersk train, this, and even 7393 and 7938, it looks like I won't be buying much else in the near future.

I have latest LEGO catalog and I just noticed that 7939 is not listed anymore. Could it be that 3677 is replacing it?

Thanks to Oste Hovels Flickr stream we have some more pics of this glorious train set :laugh:

Click

we at Brikkelauget chatted with OsteHovel while he were at LegoWorld on saturday so we got pics of things we woundered about.

We needed more pics an he also checked for more new sets at the layout without fibding others than the maersk train in green =)

Hi,

Altough I think it is good from TLC that they bring out an other train set, they really could've done a better job on the engine and on the box car.

The engine looks very bulky, and the box car really has no details to it...

But, for kids its a nice add-on to the other 2 sets, IF (and only IF) the price is kept low.

Cheers

I have latest LEGO catalog and I just noticed that 7939 is not listed anymore. Could it be that 3677 is replacing it?

On a related note, none of the PF train sets (7938, 7939, and the station & grade crossing) are listed in that catalog. Made me nervous when I saw it (or rather, didn't).

On a related note, none of the PF train sets (7938, 7939, and the station & grade crossing) are listed in that catalog. Made me nervous when I saw it (or rather, didn't).

In that case it could be that catalog is just not including train sets, but in my case it has passenger train, station and level crossing, but, as I said, no cargo train. It's also without curved/straight rails, but we not that those are out for some time.

Anyway, I still hope that cargo train will stay for at least a year and a half, as it is supposed to be (i still have to buy it, but the price is not allowing me for the moment).

A also think that this new repair train is somwhere similar to last year tranportation center. It's a mix of trains and city tranportation themem and it will most probably be TRU exclusive. I hope that they will also keep the price down. 100 eur for that train would be fair price, but it still remains to be seen what kind of configuration it will be:

option 1: train with just battery box (it has to be includede even if other motorised parts are not, because it's structural part of locomotive. Price around 80 euro would be nice for that (similar to HP train os TS3 train)

option 2: train with battery box, motor and receiver, but without remote or tracks (that would work as cheap addition to 7938 or 7939). Price would be around 100 euro (I hope it will be this option, because I already have enough remotes and tracks)

option 3: same as option 2, but with added remote (less likely option). Price should be around 110 euro)

optionn 4: complete solution, with train, all PF parts and tracks. Price should be somewhere between 7938 and 7939 and thats 140.150 euro (it more complex then 7938, but wihout additionla feautures which 7939 has (crane, truck and two switches)

In that case it could be that catalog is just not including train sets, but in my case it has passenger train, station and level crossing, but, as I said, no cargo train. It's also without curved/straight rails, but we not that those are out for some time.

The catalog I'm referring to is the US January 2011 catalog. This catalog does contain the Hogwarts Express, but none of the City Train sets or the Toy Story 3 train.

(it more complex then 7938, but wihout additionla feautures which 7939 has (crane, truck and two switches)

There is that conveyor loader model we've seen in a few pictures, and since we haven't seen any documentation, a likely track setup is impossible to guess. I still bet you a dollar it contains flextrack though. :/

From what I could see from that picture of the ballast loader, it looks height adjustable....but again LEGO have forgotten something - they always do.....you can unload a silo, hopper or ships haul.....but what about loading it ? Ah, giant human hands do the loading.....just an observation. :wink:

Now all we need is pricing and who is going to stock this - my bet is still on independants in Australia and New Zealand. :wink:

Brick On Everyone !

my local shop had the cargo set on order for me for 3 months, i decided late to get one, a month ago they said it was no longer on the ordering system, and last week they said my backorder would not arrive. thankyou ebay. i won't be so slow with the maersk and maintenance sets.

Damn, I still need to buy the Emerald train and 7938 passenger train. Add the Maersk train and this new set. Bad year for my wallet. Can't it wait until thanksgiving? :p

Edited by 9Benua

Damn, I still need to buy the Emerald train and 7938 passenger train. Add the Maersk train and this new set. Bad year for my wallet. Can't it wait until thanksgiving? :p

I'm right there with you. Just have to prioritize and hope to get a little lucky. I don't have Emerald Night, Passenger Train, or Cargo Train but I honestly was never all that excited about the Passenger Train. The Maersk Train isn't even available yet so it will be around for a while, so I'll be moving that down the list. This rumored new Cargo Train is nice. It reminds me of the 4512 Locomotive but since it is only a rumor its not on the list...

This rumored new Cargo Train is nice. It reminds me of the 4512 Locomotive but since it is only a rumor its not on the list...

It's beyond a rumor now, it has been officially shown by lego, confimed by their staff at the show, and also confirmed by others, including Ryan McNaught LCP at my last LUG meeting. It is definitely a new set.

Some more pictures:

gallery_148_100_60638.jpg

The whole train.

gallery_148_100_66104.jpg

gallery_148_100_50371.jpg

gallery_148_100_111070.jpg

gallery_148_100_51909.jpg

gallery_148_100_159779.jpg

The engine.

gallery_148_100_51909.jpg

gallery_148_100_131189.jpg

gallery_148_100_152798.jpg

gallery_148_100_59188.jpg

gallery_148_100_164131.jpg

The engine & wagons separate.

gallery_148_100_129808.jpg

The loading device with conveyer belt.

I guess the price will be a bit lower than the excisting cargo train, could be for the tracks will be only a loop and no switches.

I think the train could definately look a bit better with some tiles instead of all the studs. It's a bit messy on top. A few stickers (as much as I hate them) wouldn't be out of place either, as long as they are simple like some small text like the old 1980's trains had. Also to note would be the difficulty of adding a second motor to this train: the PF plug would stick up too high. You'd need to get a regular cable, plug the first motor and a switch to that and then the second motor to the switch. How you fit all that inside I don't know.

Lights and extra motor would be connected to the IR receiver, not on top of the batterybox.

Lego probably prepared the train for lights, like in the last 2 sets. Extra motor doesn't look hard, because the IR receiver is on top of the dummy motor.

This set is on my wanted list next to the Maersk set!

I think the train could definately look a bit better with some tiles instead of all the studs. It's a bit messy on top. A few stickers (as much as I hate them) wouldn't be out of place either, as long as they are simple like some small text like the old 1980's trains had. Also to note would be the difficulty of adding a second motor to this train: the PF plug would stick up too high. You'd need to get a regular cable, plug the first motor and a switch to that and then the second motor to the switch. How you fit all that inside I don't know.

Lights and extra motor would be connected to the IR receiver, not on top of the batterybox.

Lego probably prepared the train for lights, like in the last 2 sets. Extra motor doesn't look hard, because the IR receiver is on top of the dummy motor.

True that, my mistake. The connector plug is seen on the side of the loco, and the PF plug sits inside the cab enough not to be covered. You would get more grey there, but not a big deal.

I hope it comes without track and controller though, I'm tired of paying for items I don't need and are worthless to other collectors alike.

Given the recent cycle of 1 cargo and 1 passenger train every 2 years, plus a special AFOL 'bonus', it's astonishing that a(nother) new cargo train is approaching already. Train business must be booming for LEGO - we must all be buying a lot of trains these days ! I wonder if we can look forward to another passenger train this year as well....?

Dr. D.